Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin (23583 Views)

Festus Iyayi Wasn't Murdered - Medical Autopsy Reveals / ASUU Postpones Meeting Over Iyayi's Death / Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by bcomputer101: 3:29am On Dec 07, 2013
A cross-section of members of the academic community, joined by members of civil society organisations, booed one the officiating clergymen, during the lying-in-state ceremony held for late former President of the Academic staff Union of Universities, Prof. Festus Iyayi, which held on Friday, at the Akin Deko main auditorium of the University of Benin.

Rev. Fr. Andrew Obiyan, one of the seven officiating priests at the ceremony, which was attended by a record that continued to swell as the programme wore on, drew the ire of the virtually all in attendance, when he veered of his main business, to tell ASUU about having a rethink about their over five month-old strike.

The priest said many of the lecturers were already wary of the “fight.”

Reading from portions of the bible, Obiyan praised Iyayi’s tenacity of purpose, courage and sense of dedication to duty, all of which he said contributed to the “hero” he became, both in life and in death and went on to call on ASUU members to consider their position in order that they not continue to be at the receiving end.

He said, “The death of the faithful is precious in the eyes of God, so I want to admonish the family not to think of the pain of death, but think about the bright promise of immortality.”

Threading on what was to irk the crowd, he said, “Finally, I want to thank God because (ASUU) you have become the voice of the voiceless today. May that voice never die. But I want to remind you that there is no success without sacrifice; for Jesus to gain the whole world he had to give up his life. We give up to go up.

“My humble appeal to you as a minister of God is to kindly request you in the name of God to please surrender the tool of power. Do not give the federal government the privilege of satisfaction of fighting and defeating you. I encourage you to surrender first in this fight. You have made your point eloquently and clear enough.

“Sincere and intelligent Nigerians will consider will consider what you have done and will forever appreciate you for it. Your surrender at this time as a tool of power is the sign of strength, it’s not a sign of weakness. Our relationship with God our father shows that faith and trust navigate.

“We may not trust the federal government owing to their antecedents, but I humbly request you to please trust them now.”

Speaking with journalists at the end of the ceremony, ASUU President, Dr Nasri Fagge said reaction from the crowd was enough attestation to the mood of majority of union members on the matter.

He said, “We were told here at this gathering there were some fundamental issues that bother the mind of our late comrade, as to the future of the struggle. For me, it is left for us to rally round those ideals and advance his legacies. You saw the reaction of the crowd to what was said about suspending the struggle, and that to me said it all.”

Recalling some of his past encounters with the late professor of business administration, Governor Adams Oshiomhole said, “Iyayi spoke truth to power, just as much as he spoke truth with his colleagues.”

Oshiomhole offered to support in building of ASUU secretariat at UNIBEN, as a way of immortalising Iyayi.

Source: www.punchng.com/news/iyayi-ASUU-members-boo-reverend-father/

2 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by PatrykUtulu(m): 4:04am On Dec 07, 2013
MADIBA NELSON ROLIHLAHLA MANDELA
(1918-2013)
-- Attorney Patryk Utulu

Madiba Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela!

Now, at last, you are home
Your goals in freedom became
Your race per deed is done
Your dreams the world reckon

Madiba!

From Africa to America the call arrived
“Madiba Mandela is gone,” she wailed
Her voice hushed with grief-stricken groans
“Then he’s home,” I said, to mask my pains

Nelson!

Freedom Fighter
Practical philosopher
Modest. Dignified. Urbane!
Your greatest title is ‘Human’

Rolihlahla!

Born at Mvezo! Chained in Soweto mainland
Jailed in 8ft X 7ft concrete cell at Robin Island
Dehumanized, you held on to a warrior’s code
Death has value if it serves the common good

Mandela!

Standing trial in the Temple of Apartheid
Defiant! Before Judges for whom reward
Is measured in degradation of all things African
You stood proud of deeds they called treason

Madiba!

Son of Africa, the cradle of human civilization
Sunniest continent oddly seen as dark region
Your peaceful transfer of Presidential Power
Eternally points the world to African exemplar

Nelson!

Man of deeds and words etched in posterity
Reluctant hero rich in absence of vanity
Priest of politics without bitterness
Humble arc of our moral wilderness

Rolihlahla!

Say hello to Mahatma Gandhi and Miriam Makeba
Fare thee well to Julius Nyerere and Ahmed Ben Bella
Give our regards to Martin Luther King Jr and Steve Biko
And don’t forget Herbert Macaulay and Bob Marley

Mandela!

Finally moved by the windmill of the Gods
To a dimension beyond discovered moons
Today, the world is both mourning and rejoicing
Together, offering humble prayers for the undying

Madiba!

A global icon forever in love with home
Endlessly engaged while shunning fame
And in best African tradition, nary resentment
So, you remain finest son of the First Continent

Nelson!

You arrived and left at the beginning of two centuries
Your legacy, a beacon to the oppressed in all shores
‘Tis fitting a warrior’s reward is measured in fair peace
‘Tis our loss the likes of you will not pass this way twice

Rolihlahla!

I imagine you will be mingling with Jesus
And his cousin, the Prophet Mohammed
And staying with Africa’s Ancient Saints
Who walked earth before Organized Religions

Mandela!

This passing marks your birthday in the hereafter
For improved human conditions you helped foster
Weep not should you see earth still engulfed in rancor
Of your effort neither Gods nor men could ask for more

Happy Birthday, Madiba Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela!

Patryk A. Utulu is a U.S.-based attorney and Strategic Communications Consultant
[All Rights Reserved 2013. All materials subject to Copyright Privileges and Immunities]

13 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by SLIDEwaxie(m): 4:10am On Dec 07, 2013
First and formost, its official, u are hearing it first from SLIDE waxie, this poster above me na mad man! undecided i swearit!

So, back to business

what can i say?

If i abuse ASSU, they will say:
We are not fightiing for our pockets but for the students to have an international standard environment for study!

Ok, cool. Who wld fault that?

If i abuse students, they will say:

ASSU is fighting for their own pocket. Let them liff us to the 'decay' environment. Na by force?

Hmmmm....

If u ask a parent, he is likely to say:

Infact, i don tire! These people are toying with the future of our 'sheedren'

If u ask the politicians, they wll say:
This is out of hand! It is politically motivated! Our oppositions are trying to bring us down because of our many policies that are favouring the masses! They knw that wen the stdents sees us as the fault, they will vote us out! i am there fore asking the parents to fight this menace and stop allowing these oppositions to kill their children's future!

If i u ask me, i will say::
@topic, why are they booing the priest? grin grin

16 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by Burger01(m): 6:22am On Dec 07, 2013
Why the booing? The truth they say is bitter.

Btw, beware of friends who will remove charger from your 5% battery to charge their 95% battery ...they are dangerous.

sad

41 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by sakaguchi(m): 7:44am On Dec 07, 2013
It has now become blindingly obvious that ASUU members are
vapid and show dearth of reasoning and commensurate
actions. They are everything but intellects. Their
all-or-nothing stand in a negotiation is pure idiocy and grandstanding. The
Reverend Father gave a very apposite appeal in the present situation as ASUU have no
legitimate reason to continue with the protracted
strike a day longer except that they are pursuing a
subversive agenda with strong political undertone.
Their take that the non victimisation clause has
to be appended and signed is laughable because
I expect the erudite ASUU members to know
that even if inserted and signed, it doesn't
stop any of their members from being
victimized through set ups and other means if
anyone so desired. Beside, previous ASUU chairmen and members have held lofty position with FG without any form of victimization.
Also, requesting for proof of the funds in the treasury of
CBN is to say the least stupidity typified. I make bold to say this because if the FG is not
sincere, the funds might well be in the account but
can be channeled for other purposes with time.
The truth remains that ASUU is acting in bad faith
else it ought to call off or is it suspend the strike
wait for the next six months to monitor progress
regarding infrastructure upgrade in the institutions
as well as if there are attempts to victimize its
members.
At the rate they are going they might as well wait
until the infrastructures are upgraded to world
class standard before they call off the strike.
Finally a major ingredient towards making our
universities world class, the input of ASUU
members, has been lost in the din and not being
discussed at all. Maybe government is also
responsible for ASUU members not constantly
updating their knowledge, trading marks for sex/
money, not being engaged in meaningful research,
not being serious with service delivery regarding
teaching and other vices they are known to be
engaged in..
I tell you most of ASUU members ought not to be in
the academia

36 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by Nobody: 7:58am On Dec 07, 2013
SLIDE waxie: First and formost, its official, u are hearing it first from SLIDE waxie, this poster above me na mad man! undecided i swearit!

So, back to business

what can i say?

If i abuse ASSU, they will say:
We are not fightiing for our pockets but for the students to have an international standard environment for study!

Ok, cool. Who wld fault that?

If i abuse students, they will say:

ASSU is fighting for their own pocket. Let them liff us to the 'decay' environment. Na by force?

Hmmmm....

If u ask a parent, he is likely to say:

Infact, i don tire! These people are toying with the future of our 'sheedren'

If u ask the politicians, they wll say:
This is out of hand! It is politically motivated! Our oppositions are trying to bring us down because of our many policies that are favouring the masses! They knw that wen the stdents sees us as the fault, they will vote us out! i am there fore asking the parents to fight this menace and stop allowing these oppositions to kill their children's future!

If i u ask me, i will say::
@topic, why are they booing the priest? grin grin
I dey teeeel you. Mazi_Omenuko will soon be here to poison the infecund minds of some unsuspecting students. THE STRIKE MUST END THIS YEAR!

1 Like

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by julioralph(m): 8:18am On Dec 07, 2013
The Priest said the truth na.. :/

11 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by Nobody: 8:57am On Dec 07, 2013
I think ASUU should proceed to Rome and boo the Pope too. Lecturers are now conducting themselves like agberos.

I have asked this question before and I am asking again : who is ASUU fighting for? What is ASUU fighting for?

1. Is ASUU fighting for the student who had been receiving amputated lectures, half- heartedly, from half- baked lecturers?

2. Is ASUU fighting the school administrations that misappropiate the funds designated to improving eduction in the universities?

3. Is ASUU fighting fellow members that refuse to attend classes, sell hand outs and ruin the lives of the female students?

I do not support a govt that fails to honour agreements. President Jonathan mismanaged the ASUU strike cos he ought not to have allowed it linger up to this moment before negotiating with ASUU and offering what he did and if they refuse, back it up with the sack of those lecturers. The strike has exposed him as a weak leader and this is why ASUU is trying to push him to the wall today.

Since ASUU has elected to cut it's nose to spite it's face, the govt should honour it's agreement with them. Unless the govt too does not have pity for the students, just like ASUU (none has the interest of the students at heart). Let the govt use the 1st year of implementation of the agreement to expose ASUU for the fraud that they are. Beam the searchlight on them and let the students and parents monitor how the funds are spent. I bet ASUU would fail this test.

ASUU has become an unruly horse and only a man of tact can ride it to safety. I pity Nigerian students cos if a provoked houseboy cannot match his wicked master strenght to strenght, he maims his master's favourite cat. Nigerian students have become the govt's favourite cat and ASUU is bent on not only maiming it, but killing and burying it, to get back at the master.

34 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by Demdem(m): 9:34am On Dec 07, 2013
Burger01: Why the booing? The truth they say is bitter.

Btw, beware of friends who will remove charger from your 5% battery to charge their 95% battery ...they are dangerous.

sad

Because he delve in an area he is not knowledgeable in.
He knows govt can't be trusted and yet still asked ASUU to go back without calling or telling govt to be responsive for once in his speech.
In our private lives, its that the way we trust well known insincere persons?
This strike by ASUU though very painful is highly justified. Until they are convinced that Jonathan indeed meant well, I expect strike to continue.

12 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by Sijo01(f): 10:04am On Dec 07, 2013
The truth is bitter but it must be told.

4 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by Nobody: 10:08am On Dec 07, 2013
till nxt year oo

1 Like

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by Nobody: 10:09am On Dec 07, 2013
Why booing the Priest on his own opinion. I guess there is freedom of speech. As for me we are tired of this strike.

They don't think of we the students if not they would have call of this strike.

1. They are contemplating on not going back to classes if their five months salary not paid and they aren't thinking of we the students whose house rent is counting and has expired during this process. I am in final yr suppose to graduate by sept/October and my house rent expires that same sept/oct so who are we going to hold for those months or u think our landlords would countout d strike?

2. My labouratory project works has all been abandon and need another finances to raise them up when school resume.

3. Many of our houses has been broken by thieves and properties lost so who is going to be responsible for d replacement.

4. Time wasted and turning our university girls into runs girls and boys surviving in dubious ways due to this strike and who are we holding responsible.

Though they are in right position to request for University upgrades but one can imagine Post UME form, Post Graduate form sales, and some hidden money collected in universities where do they use this funds are they utilize properly rather embezzle by our educated profs and lecturers. These are the 1st questions to ask because they make even billions in sales of Post UME forms

ASUU are bunch of criminals fighting for there pocket

12 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by LMAyedun(m): 10:09am On Dec 07, 2013
Na wah oh!!
The father told them(ASUU) the bitter truth they hated to hear.

They felt the pinch.

9 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by bebe2(f): 10:10am On Dec 07, 2013
Nigeria get problem sha,

Dis na country wey every other house na church still devil na the chairman. Haba lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by Sknda(m): 10:10am On Dec 07, 2013
Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by ayusco85(m): 10:12am On Dec 07, 2013
Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by mike404(m): 10:13am On Dec 07, 2013
Demdem:

He knows govt can't be trusted and yet still asked ASUU to go back without calling or telling govt to be responsive for once in his speech.
This strike by ASUU though very painful is highly justified. Until they are convinced that Jonathan indeed meant well, I expect strike to continue.

JIHADIST HAS SPOKEN

24 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by Nobody: 10:16am On Dec 07, 2013
Demdem:

That you are anonymous here, doesn't allow for your level of ignorance and stupidity.

17 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by ULSHERLAN(m): 10:16am On Dec 07, 2013
Thought they(ASUU) said they are intellectuals. What is the difference btwn what they did to the picture they want us to blv about nyesom wike

7 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by Nobody: 10:18am On Dec 07, 2013
Surrender is actually a tool of power, the Reverend is right, but I think ASUU members are not read enough to understand the principles the man of God was talking about, hence they booed.

Its a fat shame.

22 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by Nobody: 10:19am On Dec 07, 2013
I pity these fools/touts called ASUU...This is d beginning of d death of d group since they can go to d extent of booing a minister in a burial they are meant to be sober. So much for d so called intellectuals

10 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by Nobody: 10:21am On Dec 07, 2013
Demdem:

What is this one saying ? First line countering second line. "He delve in an area he is NOT KNOWLEDGEABLE IN" Second Line "He KNOWS Gov't cant be trusted"...

You need to take Panadol Night Pain and go to bed. This place is not for dumbos.

22 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by Anuoluwap(m): 10:28am On Dec 07, 2013
lol

1 Like

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by nerodenero: 10:28am On Dec 07, 2013
Iyayi died owing to this struggle.Faggae's neck has grown a little longer than before.More lecturers are suffering and smiling.They claimed FG can't be trusted.Can ASUU be trusted too?When two elephants fight,the grass suffers!!!The two needs to shift ground.If FG wont be sensitive as they will never be,cant ASUU be reasonable for once!!!Lets see who gets to laugh last.

5 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by Walexsammy(m): 10:30am On Dec 07, 2013
In as much as i understood his perspective, as a Rev father he shouldn't side any of them. hw can he say even after acknowledging the fact that government can nt be trusted that ASUU should surrender, meaning WHAT? if they are to surrender nw then what is the need for the lingered strike, btw, why didnt he also address the FG to succumb to ASUU needs?...........mtchewwww

5 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by walakolobo: 10:32am On Dec 07, 2013
The truth is bitter. He told them the truth but obviously, no one wants to be told the truth.

6 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by Nobody: 10:33am On Dec 07, 2013
the reverend father should have just conducted the mass and left.a service for a dead man is not a time to bring up issues but for mourning.but ASUU is going too far with the issue,if they had at least completed the academic session before the strike,e for no pain me.we can hv the best structures in the world but with mediocre copy-cat lecturers it means nothing.Last semester one sadist prof will come to class and dictate so fast no one can follow he told us nobody can get an A in his course.so my friend went online to search for materials and he found a U.S.A sci dept college site and i swear to God everything the lecturer dictated in class was copied fullstop for fullstop,coma for coma,paragraph for paragraph.a whole prof,is this who ASUU is fighting for?

13 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by walakolobo: 10:34am On Dec 07, 2013
Demdem:

I think you should stay on your regular course, spamming the board with Jonadaf, that seems to make more sense than when you actually try to make sense.

11 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by alphaconde(m): 10:34am On Dec 07, 2013
Me think ASUU members are a disgrace, they couldn't even ensure decorum and orderliness in a church gathering, what we couldn't have expected from university students. I have always said it, ASUU is the highest damaging factors in our universities. If you don't bliv it #GoAndDie

20 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by moshoodn(m): 10:35am On Dec 07, 2013
Why is no one admonishing the FG?

5 Likes

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by Walexsammy(m): 10:36am On Dec 07, 2013
KingMEXX: I pity these fools/touts called ASUU...This is d beginning of d death of d group since they can go to d extent of booing a minister in a burial they are meant to be sober. So much for d so called intellectuals
If the minister can aswellas shifting focus from the reason why he was there, why cant ASUU members? the minister was there for the burial and nt to summon or plead on behalf of FG for ASUU to call off

1 Like

Re: Iyayi: ASUU Members Boo Reverend Father In Benin by blackdream: 10:40am On Dec 07, 2013
Nasir Isa Fagee; where is your conscience?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UNIBEN Students Protest Colleagues’ Death, Block Highway / University Of Calabar Investigates Lecturers Who ‘Conduct Exams In Hotels’ / Professor Folashade Ogunsola Elected As UNILAG Acting VC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.