Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,461 members, 7,808,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:44 PM

How Do You Cope With Loneliness? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Cope With Loneliness? (4317 Views)

Ladies, How Do You Cope With Insensitive Husbands? / I Can’t Cope With His Big Manhood- Wife Tells Court / Bearded Ladies, How Do You Cope? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by luvchild(f): 12:38am On Jun 17, 2006
[color=Black][/color]Hi, members I have a question, I am 37yrs old, no children and lonely. I don't go out to clubs or hang out, in fact I like being at home just not alone. I was married ten years but husband walked out. So for past two years I have been on my own. This feeling of loneliness, seems to be spreading like a disease. I throw myself into work but still when I come home I find the house to be like a tomb, it is quiet and not alive. The walls seem so sad I even look at my pet dog and he looks at me as though he feels sorry for me. LOL. I try to read and I pray but still being in the house is a constant reminder that I have no one to share my life with. So my question is what do you do when loneliness seems to be getting the best of you?   cry       
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by edygirl(f): 12:50am On Jun 17, 2006
Well you've got your answer, be on Nland and you won't feel lonely again

Girl you will be alright. Just stay here and have fun
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by ikamefa(f): 12:58am On Jun 17, 2006
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by LOVE4(f): 1:03am On Jun 17, 2006
luvchild,when it seems i'm lonely,the things that works the best for me is  hanging out with some special friends,talking to family and writing poems about what i'm experiencing at that moment and why let loneliness get the best of us?life ain't over yet until we say so,staying in the house will only make you think the more about things you are not supposed to think about,so i will tell you, go out have some fun and it does not necessarily mean going to the club,go out with that special friend of yours to a restaurant,a spa,something but pls,quit staying behind those doors and go explore the world around you, it's exicting and crazy,you know the saying"all work and no play, "and you might just be suprised at what you'll discover/find out there wink cheesy
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by ToyM28(f): 1:03am On Jun 17, 2006
Luvchild, soz feel ur pain.

I gues d only way to deal with loneliness, is 2 tackle it head fast. Dont think about it, have fun, achieve your goal, make people envious. And when d right time comes, beleieve me, somebody (hopefully a dude), will come out and admire your achievements and ur personality

Adn b4 u know, u realise u no longer lonely.
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by Seun(m): 4:59pm On Jun 17, 2006
When I feel lonely, I buy myself ice cream and I savor it. Or I get a cheque that i'm yet to cash and I stare at it, trying to calculate how many litres of ice-cream I could buy with the money, how many pieces of fish i can buy, how many books I can buy, etc. Or I log on to the Internet to enjoy Nairaland, or chat with my intellectual male friends. (In the old days, I used to call friends on my phone but these days I rely on my Yahoo messenger friends).

As a 37 year old lady, you are culturally configured to want to be in a relationship, so you can cook for your husband, have kids, care for them, etc. You need to find a new purpose for your life that's as rich as engaging as the traditional one of raising a family. You need to manufacture happiness and fulfilness for yourself. I'm doing just that.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by Shagari2(m): 5:38pm On Jun 17, 2006
I feel for you luvchIld.

I deel with it by 1st knowing me and loving me, yep its all about me me me! enjoy ur own company!

Then I make friends, cos in life you reap what you sow, you sow friendship you reap friendship

Knowing my God helps, having a one on one with my creator helps a lot

The worlds been around for a millions of yrs and pobably gonna be for more billions if we dnt blow it up or we happen to miss a few asteroids heading our way, but of all those millions of yrs you've got what 100yrs tops the latter part of which you won't even know ur own name, so, I get out there and  PARTEEEEEE!
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by exu(m): 6:48pm On Jun 17, 2006
masturbation?
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by praetor(f): 6:59pm On Jun 17, 2006
masturbation? typical.

I'm in a similar position myself, stay indoors a lot and spend too much time on the internet(how i came across this site in the first place which was a good thing because it made me laugh quite a bit). I'm a bit of a quiet one as well so not the type to go out partying 24/7 smiley

Find a hobby, join a forum(which you've done), start a blog (get friends from all over the world), talk to your next door neighbour, go for a long walk with your dog (maybe he'll stop looking at you with such a sad expression wink you might meet a nice guy that way as well, join a gym.

Live life and enjoy it ( she says with a wry grin on her face) This advice applies to me as well.

grin
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by zebudaya(m): 7:28pm On Jun 17, 2006
I'm still young so i go out to clubs and bars ( with friends) or go to the movies (alone) when i 'm lonely. It gets kind of depressing sometimes so i always have wine in my fridge so i drink it and it sends me to sleep.

If you are very lonely join blockbusteronline.com and netflix they would send you movies for 20 bucks a month, when you get tired of that you may have to volunteer your time feeding the homeless, teaching kids how to read or helping them with math. Just something fufilling that gives you a sense of purpose. While you are volunteering you may meet some other do-gooders especially men! and anything can happen from there,

Of course you [b]want [/b]a man to fill that void in your life, but you don't [b]need [/b]a man to do it
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by wande(m): 8:09pm On Jun 17, 2006
luvchild, loneliness is a thing of the mind, it child of envy, jealousy and above all fear of being rejected. What are the things you love doing most ? do what you like doing and accept people the the way they are, dont ever feel you are lonely.

Engage your mind by reading magazines and story books, even visiting niraland is another antidote to loneliness and talk to God about it.

God bless you
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by Kadeejah(f): 12:46am On Jun 18, 2006
eat chocolate, sulk fer a bit, more chocolate nd den werk ya magic tongue
u'll find someone eventually *when da time cums u'll find da rite one*
in da mean time eat chocolate itz good grin
. . .buh diz cud werk undecided
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by ToyM28(f): 1:39am On Jun 18, 2006
lol. lol. Kad. nice one
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by Rhodalyn(f): 1:41am On Jun 18, 2006
kiss juSt eNgAgE yaSeLf In ThE sTuFFs thaT MaKEs U feel GOoD BoUt YAsELF! kiss
Stuffs U like to do
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by shawna(f): 3:02am On Jun 18, 2006
read a nice romance novel, do some serious house cleaning, surf the net and eat a huge bowl ice cream LOL tongue
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by mimi4real(f): 8:08am On Jun 18, 2006
I really feel for you.

I was once a victim of loneliness, I love staying indoors untill I was introduced to internet by a firend, since then I bet you I have alot of friends who called and say hi, sometimes they invite me for a walk. Luvchild you are in the right place and once small engage yourself in reading of good asipirational book.

Good Luck
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by otokx(m): 2:31pm On Jun 18, 2006
you could learn a musical instrument preferably the keyboard, you could also engage yourself in the world of video games - playstation or nintendo or you could conduct several studies on human behaviour in your area. If you are a christian, engaging in church activities could help.
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by symple: 8:45pm On Jun 18, 2006
Go out and have some fun.Neva mind wut ppl say.
Just stop been alone. There are so many ppl all over the place.
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by sweetnini(f): 9:28pm On Jun 18, 2006
go out and enjoy life
that way u'll not be lonely
and for God's sake get urself a man
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by prinsuvz(m): 12:57am On Jun 19, 2006
Put your attention on God
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by noshaking(f): 11:28am On Jun 19, 2006
You have to make yourself happy to fight with loneliness, unless you are happy within yourself nobody can make you happy. Try and mix with people - your families, go out more or do some of the things that make ladies happy e.g. shopping, going to the salon to make yourself beautiful, surf the internet . You can even engage yourself in some church activities e.g. visisting motherless babies home, prison etc. You can even go out with other guys if you know your marriage has totally ended.
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by diyobdw(f): 3:54pm On Jun 19, 2006
I suggest you go back to like the first ten year of you life and think about those things that made you happy then look aorund you in the right direction. Detach all that would make you sober and become a new person,
Read book and subscribe to inspirational newsletter like mine https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-10101.0.
join my forums on your intrest(not losers or the unfortunate nag forum ) living one like NL.
Most especially be determined to be happy and go for it at all cost cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by sherri(f): 6:31pm On Jun 19, 2006
are u abroad?
if you are in naija, u shud reach out to ur friends and family. if are abroad volunteer at ur church, join a singles group if ur church doesn't have one speak to ur church leaders about starting one. treat urself to relaxing beauty day. (u can do all of these in naija too) i dare say u're still mourning the loss of ur
ex ? if u agree, let the healing begin girl!
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by K2: 9:47pm On Jun 19, 2006
@LuvChild. I'll suggest you reach out and increase your circle of friends. Find folks that you share common interest with may be music, movie, volunteer work or anything and get involved for a start. Unlike what some folks have said, humans are meant to be relational. We all yearn to love and to be loved by someone. You'll need to break out of your comfort zone of just staying at home all the time. Be open to new ideas and new things. Go to salsa class, attend book reading sessions or check your local newspaper or online listings for activities. You'll be surprised at how many folks share your interests. Change doesn't have to be drastic or strange, it can be a good thing. I wish you the best. Please keep us posted. Wishing you God's blessings. smiley
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by chinani(f): 1:53am On Jun 20, 2006
@Luvchild
I read. I was a very lonely child so I just read & read & read. When you find authors & books you like, it'll feel like you're coming into - with invitation of course - their world. This is terribly nerdy but it worked for me. Still does.

You could also start volunteering. If you pick something you like you'll be involved & the feeling of being needed wil be wonderful. Best wishes! kiss
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by chinani(f): 2:06am On Jun 20, 2006
But now that I think of it, 37 is not old. Not anymore, ask OPRAH! cheesy So why don't you meet new ppl & date? I guess you can ask some of your current friends about their organizations (bowling league or whatever) then t/o them meet new ppl & date. I think dating's fun. JMO. Oh, you can try online sites too. Just my humble, corny ideas. Peace. smiley
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by Seun(m): 3:27am On Jun 20, 2006
Good suggestions, everyone. I'm so proud of you. kiss
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by saintchux(m): 9:25am On Jun 20, 2006
Loneliness for me is a thing of the mind. You are lonely as much as you want to be. There is a lot of things you can do, if you think you are lonely.

Keep yourself busy all day long . Going to club is good, but why not try to go and learn something. May be go for a computer trainng is you have not gone for one. Go and learn how to make cake, so that you can be making wedding cake and going for wedding function. learn how to braid. Don't leave any minute of your time idle. Look for something to learn. Let not your education or your class enter your head.

Buy a computer if you don't have one, buy computer games. play games when you are tired of reading. Buy motivational Cds and cassette. Listen to it before you sleep or early in the morning.

If you want to make friend, do not go to people that will pity you. Let whoever is going to be your friend take you as you are and not a lonely lady that needs a help. You need a friend to talk with.

Remember as a man thinketh so he is. If you think you are lonely, then you are. I can give you more help if you want.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:49pm On Jun 20, 2006
NO AM NEVER LONLEY CAUSE I LOVE READING NOVELS AND LISTENING TO MUSIC .
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by oluchikeh(f): 11:36am On Jun 22, 2006
hey dear,
we are humans but we have a spirit and that is d most important part of our existence.
to feel lonely is a characteristic of d human nature bc u are born to relate
but i think u made a mistake i had also made which is building ur entire life around ur man so dat as soon as he left u had no one else
But its not too late to correct it
i think that u should go out some more, make friends of both sexes and create a world of ur own where u can relax and enjoy
But above all i think u need to commit urself entirely to God and he'll give u d peace of mind which u need to handle this phase of life bc i think its just a phase smiley smiley smiley
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by zebudaya(m): 12:11am On Jun 23, 2006
When you are alone what's the difference between being bored and being lonely?
Re: How Do You Cope With Loneliness? by bluehorizo(m): 3:41pm On Apr 25, 2008
Nairaland cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Incarnate (akudaya) Real???? / What Do You Think Of Executive Beggars / Would You Date/marry Your child's prospective parent in-law?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.