Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,876 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:42 AM

Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies (9554 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Any Viable Investment For Intending Retiree With Little Or No Supervision / Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 5:44pm On Dec 07, 2013
This thread will cater for the Amateur investors who are beginners and have little or no knowledge of Stock market investment. This is also good for those with little capital. We are going to discuss investment strategy that will create and preserve wealth. Our focus will be on stocks with good fundamentals. Please bear in mind that this thread is strictly for long term investors not speculators. If you are short term investor or a speculator, there is already a nice thread for that. https://www.nairaland.com/1131485/nigerian-stock-exchange-market-pick. We are going to analyze and recommend stocks for long term investment. Bear in mind that in every investment there is an associated risk, in other words, there is risk in every business. Our strategy will be to minimize risk and make profit.

Please note.
All reasonable care is taken to make sure the recommendations are as accurate as possible, the decision to buy or sell stocks based on the recommendations here is wholly made by you and no other person shall accept any responsibility arising from implementation of the recommendations.

4 Likes

Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by jamace(m): 6:21pm On Dec 07, 2013
Yes. I'm with you at my own risk. cool
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 6:54pm On Dec 07, 2013
The first step to take before stock investment is to determine what you want. Do you want to invest for specific project? How long do you want to invest? What is the starting capital and how do source for the subsequent capital. If you are a salary earner, what percentage can you afford to invest? A self employed person can also set aside an amount for periodic investment. Note that it is better to invest with the money you do not plan to use immediately.

The next step to take is to get a good broker. I am not recommending any of them. Open an account with your chosen broker to get the CSCS numbers, make sure to include the GSM number to be getting transaction alert.

1 Like

Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 8:07pm On Dec 07, 2013
Let's with the banking industry, some experts recommended the following banking stocks for long term investment
FBN
GTB
ZENITH
ACCESS.

These banks have potentials to pay dividends yearly and bonus occasionally. The list can be adjusted any time.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by jamace(m): 8:19pm On Dec 07, 2013
^^^ What about UBA?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 9:25pm On Dec 07, 2013
jamace: ^^^ What about UBA?
jamace: ^^^ What about UBA?

Remember we are dealing with stocks that have high yield potential on long term basis. UBA, Fidelity, FCMB, SKYE, and Sterling are listed as stocks with high growth potential on short term basis. You can also consider stocks that are liquid and will not crash beyond certain level when the market is heading southward. If you feel any other stock should be added, such suggestion is welcomed.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 10:01pm On Dec 07, 2013
Agriculture industry coming soon.......
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Heanry(m): 10:38pm On Dec 07, 2013
civilserva: Agriculture industry coming soon.......
Am following sir.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Creamychic(f): 7:54am On Dec 08, 2013
Thanks a lot for this thread.
I am on the verge of opening an account with a stockbroking firm. Can u please provide a list of stockbrokers that have been tested and that are trusted? or better still, give us tips to consider when choosing a stockbroker.

Happy Sunday!
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by jamace(m): 8:16am On Dec 08, 2013
@Creamy, you may read the thread below for discussions on reliable stockbrokers in Nigeria:

https://www.nairaland.com/1532682/most-reliable-stockbroker-nigeria

1 Like

Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Creamychic(f): 12:53pm On Dec 08, 2013
@jamace
Thanks.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 4:34pm On Dec 08, 2013
Creamychic: Thanks a lot for this thread.
I am on the verge of opening an account with a stockbroking firm. Can u please provide a list of stockbrokers that have been tested and that are trusted? or better still, give us tips to consider when choosing a stockbroker.

Happy Sunday!

I hope the link posted by @jamace will be of good help to you.

Personally, i have done business with Signet Investment & Securities, located opposite Customs Training School Ikeja. They used to be at Church House Marina and i can say they are reliable in terms of execution of your orders. I also use Meritrade and i am pleased with their online Platform. You can add these brokers to your list and exercise your due diligence.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 5:14pm On Dec 08, 2013
I Agriculture Sector, consider buying these two stocks, OKOMU OIL and PRESCO. Both are healthy companies with good fundamentals.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Creamychic(f): 8:43pm On Dec 08, 2013
Yes! The thread jamace referred me to was quite helpful, and coupled with your contribution, I have decided on the broker to open my account with.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Heanry(m): 10:31pm On Dec 08, 2013
civilserva: I Agriculture Sector, consider buying these two stocks, OKOMU OIL and PRESCO. Both are healthy companies with good fundamentals.
But since their is decrease in price of palm oil at the international market, don't you think the prices of these two stocks might still go down. I already have some units of okomu for long term.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by ihedioramma: 5:13am On Dec 11, 2013
WHAT IS THE BUSINESS ROYALEX STOCK? AND HOW GOOD ARE THEY BEFOR THEY GO DOWN TO 50KOBO? WHAT WAS THERE HI PRICE?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by phemmie06(m): 3:41pm On Dec 11, 2013
civilserva: I Agriculture Sector, consider buying these two stocks, OKOMU OIL and PRESCO. Both are healthy companies with good fundamentals.

Have you seen the recent result of okomu, the fundamental might be strong, but I guess the price will fall
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 6:35pm On Dec 11, 2013
Heanry :
But since their is decrease in price of palm oil at the international market, don't you think the prices of these two stocks might still go down. I already have some units of okomu for long term.

phemmie06:

Have you seen the recent result of okomu, the fundamental might be strong, but I guess the price will fall

Price of Palm oil at international market no doubt affects the stock price just as the price of crude oil affects the petroleum sector but the price adjusts itself periodically which shouldn't give a long term investor headache. Presently okomu has good strategic plans for expansion, their output is likely to double in 2014 if all things work as they plan. Okomu is also investing heavily on Rubber plantation which will also impact positively on their earnings.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by ihedioramma: 6:54pm On Dec 11, 2013
civilserva:

Price of Palm oil at international market no doubt affects the stock price just as the price of crude oil affects the petroleum sector but the price adjusts itself periodically which shouldn't give a long term investor headache. Presently okomu has good strategic plans for expansion, their output is likely to double in 2014 if all things work as they plan. Okomu is also investing heavily on Rubber plantation which will also impact positively on their earnings.

TALK TO ME I ASK U SOME THING??
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Heanry(m): 7:54pm On Dec 11, 2013
civilserva:

ok, nice one. I will still research on them.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 7:57pm On Dec 11, 2013
ihedioramma: TALK TO ME I ASK U SOME THING??
Sorry bro, you talked about Royal Exchange Assurance, sincerely speaking I have not been monitoring insurance stocks as I don't have any in my portfolio. What puts me off on insurance is the issue of liquidity.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by ihedioramma: 8:08pm On Dec 11, 2013
civilserva:
Sorry bro, you talked about Royal Exchange Assurance, sincerely speaking I have not been monitoring insurance stocks as I don't have any in my portfolio. What puts me off on insurance is the issue of liquidity.
IS NOT INSURANCE STOCK THE NAME IS ROYALEX. GIVE ME 5 GOOD LOW STOCK THAT IS BELOW #2 BOUT STRONG?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 9:08pm On Dec 11, 2013
ihedioramma: IS NOT INSURANCE STOCK THE NAME IS ROYALEX. GIVE ME 5 GOOD LOW STOCK THAT IS BELOW #2 BOUT STRONG?

Pls note: ROYALEX is the Ticker for ROYAL EXCHANGE ASSURANCE PLC.

Ok. I will give u
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Curiouscity(m): 1:04am On Dec 12, 2013
Nice thread. Following with due deligence.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by ihedioramma: 5:21am On Dec 12, 2013
civilserva:

Pls note: ROYALEX is the Ticker for ROYAL EXCHANGE ASSURANCE PLC.

Ok. I will give u
ok am looking to se them here. pls what is the price of newgold stock?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 11:40am On Dec 12, 2013
You can consider these dividend paying penny stock Abc Transport, RTbrisco and fidson. You have to be aware that when the market is down, you'll have problem with liquidity.

ihedioramma: ok am looking to se them here. pls what is the price of newgold stock?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by SWG1: 11:51am On Dec 12, 2013
civilserva: You can consider these dividend paying penny stock Abc Transport, RTbrisco and fidson. You have to be aware that when the market is down, you'll have problem with liquidity.

don't u think ABC has a better liquidity and greater dividend yield than the rest @ it's current price
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by edwill: 9:26pm On Dec 12, 2013
great thread! I need help here. what is the minimum amount I need to have before I can buy penny stock shares for long term investment?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Heanry(m): 9:55pm On Dec 12, 2013
edwill: great thread! I need help here. what is the minimum amount I need to have before I can buy penny stock shares for long term investment?
Their is no minimum amount provided you have an account with a broker. Keep investing.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 11:45pm On Dec 12, 2013
SWG 1:
don't u think ABC has a better liquidity and greater dividend yield than the rest @ it's current price

You are right.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 6:09am On Dec 13, 2013
START SMALL

No amount is too small to start investing in stock market. You can start with 10k. Some stock brokers still accept as low as 10k to open a new account. When that is done, you can start buying stock even with 1k. It's better to start buying one particular good stock to increase the number of units to a reasonable quantity before moving into another stock. For example , if you are starting with first bank, try to increase the number up to 2000 unit before you moving into another stock. Remember the more units you have, the more you enjoy the benefit of that stock.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pls Guys Drop Ur Review Abat Legit Online Money Mak.. / How MMM Nigeria Intended To Come Back In January / Winthrills - Additional & Sustainable Income. Not A Get Rich Quickly Scheme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.