Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,362 members, 7,780,992 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:05 AM

What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? (21935 Views)

Updated.. My 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Thread - "Truck Of The Yellow Sun" / VSC Trac, VSC Off And Abs Issue With 2004 Toyota 4runner / What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Dec 07, 2013
I drive a 1997 Camry V6 n the trac off light has been on 4 a while now....what could b the cause of this?
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Dec 07, 2013
oluseyioba: I drive a 1997 Camry V6 n the trac off light has been on 4 a while now....what could b the cause of this?

Have you had the car scanned for codes? I guess since the car still drives, you don't feel the need to get codes pulled.

Is your ABS light on too?
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by sholatech(m): 8:45pm On Dec 07, 2013
Have a car with both VSC and ABS light on. Used a code reader(doesn't read abs light) and had codes(I'm away from where I wrote codes) showing camshaft sensor bank 2 signal low and air intake sensor.

On another car, VSC and Trac light just came on. The code reader brought only one code stating Oxygen Sensor Bank A
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Dec 07, 2013
I hvnt scanned it yet but I hope to do dat soon,d abs light isn't on,just d trac off n check engine light
Siena:

Have you had the car scanned for codes? I guess since the car still drives, you don't feel the need to get codes pulled.

Is your ABS light on too?
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by sultaan(m): 12:54am On Dec 08, 2013
Trac light comes one when you post with words like coefficient of friction, dynamics of elasticity and the limits of motion.

Apart from that could have possibly turned it on yourself, or there is a failure somewhere you will have to scan
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Dec 08, 2013
Tanks sultaan,u knw anywhere I can scan in lagos?
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by cardoctor(m): 5:10pm On Dec 08, 2013
oluseyioba: I drive a 1997 Camry V6 n the trac off light has been on 4 a while now....what could b the cause of this?

TRAC means Traction Control on Toyota models. Scan to check to see that your ABS sensors are connected and working properly as well as your ABS pump.

HOW IT WORKS:

Traction control helps limit tyre slip during acceleration on slippery or wet surfaces to prevent the drive wheels from spinning uncontrollably without grip.

Most modern cars have electronic controls built into the drive train to limit power delivery for the driver in event of the vehicle slipping or sliding and losing control of its direction of travel. The Traction Control device steps in to assist the driver in eliminating wheel spin during acceleration and may also helps the driver brake under its control.

Powerful older rear or front wheel drive cars often had a primitive form of traction control called a Limited Slip Differential (LSD).

A limited-slip rear axle will mechanically transfer power to the rear wheel with the most traction, helping to reduce, but not eliminate wheel spin. While limited-slip rear axles are still in use in many front- and rear-drive vehicles today, the device can't completely eliminate wheel spin. Hence, a more sophisticated system was needed.

In modern vehicles, traction control systems utilize the same wheel-speed sensors employed by the Antilock Braking System (ABS) but with its own dedicated control module.

These sensors measure differences in rotational speed to determine if the wheels that are receiving power have lost traction. When the traction-control system determines that one wheel is spinning more quickly than the others, it automatically "pumps" the brake to that wheel via the ABS pump to reduce its speed and lessen wheel slip. In most cases, individual wheel braking is enough to control wheel slip. However, some traction-control systems also reduce engine power to the slipping wheels. On a few of these vehicles, drivers may feel pulsations of the accelerator pedal when the system is reducing engine power much like a brake pedal pulsates when the antilock braking system is working.

Many people mistakenly believe that traction control when switched on, would give the vehicle more grip on the road.

Traction control does not have the ability to increase traction. It just helps to prevent a vehicle's wheels from spinning.

For drivers who routinely drive in muddy roads, snowy and icy conditions, traction control, antilock brakes are must-have safety features.

Car-Doctor.

1 Like

Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by icemann(m): 5:43am On Dec 09, 2013
sultaan: Trac light comes one when you post with words like coefficient of friction, dynamics of elasticity and the limits of motion.

LWKMD grin grin grin. I guess he hasn't seen this
"Limits of motion"... grin grin grin...I learn new things every day
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by Nobody: 9:36am On Dec 09, 2013
Thanks sir,will get the car scanned asap
car-doctor:

TRAC means Traction Control on Toyota models. Scan to check to see that your ABS sensors are connected and working properly as well as your ABS pump.

HOW IT WORKS:

Traction control helps limit tyre slip during acceleration on slippery or wet surfaces to prevent the drive wheels from spinning uncontrollably without grip.

Most modern cars have electronic controls built into the drive train to limit power delivery for the driver in event of the vehicle slipping or sliding and losing control of its direction of travel. The Traction Control device steps in to assist the driver in eliminating wheel spin during acceleration and may also helps the driver brake under its control.

Powerful older rear or front wheel drive cars often had a primitive form of traction control called a Limited Slip Differential (LSD).

A limited-slip rear axle will mechanically transfer power to the rear wheel with the most traction, helping to reduce, but not eliminate wheel spin. While limited-slip rear axles are still in use in many front- and rear-drive vehicles today, the device can't completely eliminate wheel spin. Hence, a more sophisticated system was needed.

In modern vehicles, traction control systems utilize the same wheel-speed sensors employed by the Antilock Braking System (ABS) but with its own dedicated control module.

These sensors measure differences in rotational speed to determine if the wheels that are receiving power have lost traction. When the traction-control system determines that one wheel is spinning more quickly than the others, it automatically "pumps" the brake to that wheel via the ABS pump to reduce its speed and lessen wheel slip. In most cases, individual wheel braking is enough to control wheel slip. However, some traction-control systems also reduce engine power to the slipping wheels. On a few of these vehicles, drivers may feel pulsations of the accelerator pedal when the system is reducing engine power much like a brake pedal pulsates when the antilock braking system is working.

Many people mistakenly believe that traction control when switched on, would give the vehicle more grip on the road.

Traction control does not have the ability to increase traction. It just helps to prevent a vehicle's wheels from spinning.

For drivers who routinely drive in muddy roads, snowy and icy conditions, traction control, antilock brakes are must-have safety features.

Car-Doctor.
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by Cyberknight: 10:59am On Dec 09, 2013
oluseyioba: Tanks sultaan,u knw anywhere I can scan in lagos?

Buy an OBDII scanner for yourself, they're quite inexpensive, I got one for $30. If you like, you could send me a personal message and I'll send you the number of a chap who works for a Toyota service centre; he can scan the car for you, but only on weekends, Sundays included. I dealt with him once, before I got my own scanner, he's quite good and his charges are very reasonable.
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by Nobody: 9:07am On Dec 10, 2013
I wud nid both,d number n hw I can get d scanner,tnx
Cyberknight:

Buy an OBDII scanner for yourself, they're quite inexpensive, I got one for $30. If you like, you could send me a personal message and I'll send you the number of a chap who works for a Toyota service centre; he can scan the car for you, but only on weekends, Sundays included. I dealt with him once, before I got my own scanner, he's quite good and his charges are very reasonable.
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by Nobody: 10:22am On Dec 17, 2013
I got error code P0401 n P0402...n I was told d car has jus one sensor,so I cudnt get wat caused d trac off issue
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by Areaboy2(m): 4:33pm On Dec 17, 2013
sultaan: Trac light comes one when you post with words like coefficient of friction, dynamics of elasticity and the limits of motion.

Apart from that could have possibly turned it on yourself, or there is a failure somewhere you will have to scan

AH!!! that explains the other post about turbocharger. hahahahaha Brilliant!!!!! grin grin grin

My apologies. I'm fairly new to this section grin tongue
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by billtommy(m): 10:50pm On Jul 08, 2014
Pls where and how did you buy the scanner, am interested and its very urgent pls

Cyberknight:

Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by tyoseni(m): 1:15pm On Jul 09, 2014
billtommy: Pls where and how did you buy the scanner, am interested and its very urgent pls
I have one for sale contact me on 08023822583
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jul 11, 2014
TRAC OFF light can also come on if the TRAC OFF switch is pressed. wink
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by icemann(m): 4:04pm On Jul 12, 2014
0rex: TRAC OFF light can also come on if the TRAC OFF switch is pressed. wink
You are a genius.
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jul 12, 2014
icemann:
You are a genius.
Lol grin cheesy
Do I detect sarcasm here?
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by icemann(m): 6:17pm On Jul 12, 2014
0rex:
Lol grin cheesy
Do I detect sarcasm here?

No, it's more like a hyperbole. No one mentioned the on/off button.
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jul 12, 2014
icemann:

No, it's more like a hyperbole. No one mentioned the on/off button.
The question / title did. If the car has a trac on/off button, accidentally pressing it once would make TRAC OFF come on.
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by icemann(m): 6:28pm On Jul 12, 2014
0rex:
The question / title did. If the car has a trac on/off button, accidentally pressing it once would make TRAC OFF come on.

Didn't see it.
Re: What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jul 12, 2014
icemann:

Didn't see it.
cheesy Reading through the thread now, I saw that the OP even had CHECK light on too + the thread was posted late 2013.
I wonder what I was thinking when I commented initially.
Must have been one of those busy days or maybe I was just being playful. wink
Cheers bro.

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Funny Looking Cars In The World / Innoson Motors Reacts To IGP Filing N2.4bn Shipping Fraud Against Innoson Motors / See This BMW Futuristic Motorcycle That Belongs To Blade Runner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.