Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,380 members, 7,808,356 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:47 AM

Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? (12083 Views)

Does The Koran Really Encourage Faithful Moslems To Kill Christians? / Why Are Black Africans Moslems Considered Inferior By The Arabs Moslems / Moslems And Life After Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by DeepZone: 11:34am On Jul 27, 2008
Does Islam have anything like inferiority or hierarchy because the Hausa moslems in Nigeria tend to view the yoruba moslems as pseudo infidels that needs more commitment towards their Allah? Is that notion found in the Quran or is just mere tribal politics mixed with religion?

I've heard from a reliable moslem that it's because Yoruba moslems intermarry with non moslems.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by ayinba1(f): 11:51am On Jul 27, 2008
Totally unIslamic, Pure tribalism.

If you find any muslim saying another one is inferior for whatever reasons, that muslim is going against the tenets of Islam.

Allah rates us all based on our piety and this is known only to Him.

If you really want to know about Islam, read the Quran.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by MCUsman(m): 12:43pm On Jul 27, 2008
I am a Hausa Muslim, to say the truth, we have for long respected Yoruba Muslims. For those of us that have travelled far we have come to the realization that though most of the muslims in Nigeria are Hausa's, a bulk of devoted muslims are actually non Hausa especially from Kwara & kogi. An average Hausa man that have not left the shore of his village feels that only Hausa & Arabs are muslims. They tend to be surprized whenever they meet a muslim from any other tribe.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by olabowale(m): 1:31pm On Jul 27, 2008
@DeepZone:

I've heard from a reliable moslem that it's because Yoruba moslems intermarry with non moslems.

If the intermarriage with non muslims is the only reason given, the one who holds that single reason as a sign for the generalization of the "Yoruba Muslims," as non muslims needs to know that he needs to study his Qur'an again. In Surah Nisaa, it is permissable for Muslim men to marry people of the book, while it is not permissable for women not to marry from any outside Islam. But then, it is not permissable to discriminate among muslims, based on tribes, etc, when it comes to marriage.

Inshort, all of us need to improve our islam, as to how the prophet (AS) practiced islam and instructed his companions, which the next 2 generations that followed immitated. The Makkans and the Madinans have to greater rights on Islam than anyone, who is a muslim from any part of the world. Islam is not a right or previlege of any group on earth, but a mercy bestowed on the individuals. Ethiopia experienced Islam of Muhammad before Madina did.

@MC Usman: Most of us you see, the non arewa muslims on Nairaland are not from Kwara or Kogi. Rather we are from the deeper Yoruba enclaves of Nigeria; Ibadan Lagos, Abeokuta, Ilesha, Ife, Oyo, Oshogbo, Ijebu Igbo, etc, just to name a few places. Late MKO Abiola (ra), was from Abeokuta, and late Murtala Muhammad (ra), married Ajoke from this city. Dr. Olusola Saraki is married to a woman from Owo, in Ondo state. All these places and many more are Islamic. The notable Lawyer Gani (Abdalganyy) Faweyinmi, is from Ondo town. I know alot of Ekiti people who are Muslims.

Islam in Yorubaland and indeed outside the Arewa clan in the northern part of Nigeria is very great. Auchi and Benin and other place oost a good amount of Muslims. I know many ibos, men and women who are muslims. Indeed, Calabar people are becomind Muslims; Ali Isong in New York City is being muslims for decades, right from Nigeria and speaks Arabic. We ask Allah tabaraka wa Taala to guide our hearts and the hearts of many more on the path of Paradise. Amin.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by DeepZone: 6:43pm On Jul 27, 2008
Totally unIslamic, Pure tribalism.
OK; Good to know but why do moslems worldwide regard American moslems as hypocrites and not serious moslems? Is that tribalism too?
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by DeepZone: 6:47pm On Jul 27, 2008
@MC Usman: Most of us you see, the non arewa muslims on Nairaland are not from Kwara or Kogi. Rather we are from the deeper Yoruba enclaves of Nigeria; Ibadan Lagos, Abeokuta, Ilesha, Ife, Oyo, Oshogbo, Ijebu Igbo, etc, just to name a few places. Late MKO Abiola (ra), was from Abeokuta, and late Murtala Muhammad (ra), married Ajoke from this city. Dr. Olusola Saraki is married to a woman from Owo, in Ondo state. All these places and many more are Islamic. The notable Lawyer Gani (Abdalganyy) Faweyinmi, is from Ondo town. I know alot of Ekiti people who are Muslims.

Islam in Yorubaland and indeed outside the Arewa clan in the northern part of Nigeria is very great. Auchi and Benin and other place oost a good amount of Muslims. I know many ibos, men and women who are muslims. Indeed, Calabar people are becomind Muslims; Ali Isong in New York City is being muslims for decades, right from Nigeria and speaks Arabic. We ask Allah tabaraka wa Taala to guide our hearts and the hearts of many more on the path of Paradise. Amin.

These places you mentioned above with the exception of Lagos and Ibadan has infinitesimal moslems and they are one due to some circumstances. It's like someone saying that he knows christians from Mecca.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by ayinba1(f): 8:50pm On Jul 27, 2008
I do not know what caliber of "moslems" you associate with. American muslims are not regarded

as "hypocrites or unserious". I live in America, Please visit youtube and search for American Muslims. You will

have an idea. Again, I answered your question, the only criteria is "level of piety" Only Allah knows who is

better.

But of course, you may not really be interested in the truth.

Visit Afikpo in Ebonyi state and tell me the number of muslims in "infinitesimal".

The choice is yours

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by DeepZone: 8:53pm On Jul 27, 2008

Visit Afikpo in Ebonyi state and tell me the number of muslims in "infinitesimal".

The choice is yours

Do you know that there is a very high hausa settlements in iboland? Wonder why the muslims are there. This afipko moslems you are mentioning sounds creepy and are non existent bro. It's the foreigners that settled there that are moslems. How do you evenn know what is happening in afipko?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by ayinba1(f): 8:59pm On Jul 27, 2008
I served (NYSC---hopefully, you know what that means) in Ebonyi state, you hear. From your last post, I can

tell that you have NEVER stepped out of your village.

I cease to respond to you because you will not find "palava" here. That is what you are looking for. You will

find it elsewhere, have fun.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by olabowale(m): 12:19am On Jul 28, 2008
@DeepZone: How deep is your Zone, man? Where are are you on planet earth, downing us muslims in America? You wanna learn about Islam, without any pretension, come to any city USA! Yet am a Yoruba boy.

OK; Good to know but why do moslems worldwide regard American moslems as hypocrites and not serious moslems? Is that tribalism too?

Need a vacation? visit Orolu kingdom.
http://orolu.osunstate.gov.ng/

These places you mentioned above with the exception of Lagos and Ibadan has infinitesimal moslems and they are one due to some circumstances. It's like someone saying that he knows christians from Mecca.

Deepzone, she omo yoruba nie ni? To ba je wipe yoruba nie, nibo lo ngbe to ri musulumi (imale) ni isakani e? O ki njade kuro ninu ile ni? O ki ngbo nigba ti won npe irun ni adugbo re ni? One thing you have done is to force me to try to write proper Yoruba. Thanks for that. If you are not a yoruba then you need to come to the west and ask for the central mosque, in any town that you arrive in. Start from Benin City, they used to be part of the west before they become midwest. Their history is yoruba history.

On this subject of Islam I claim them as yoruba people, even if ~Lady~ does not like it. oon you will reach Owo, in Ondo state. Thats my mother's hometown and a place I went to High School. I have been to many mosques in that town. You will get to Akure and it has a central mosque. Where in Yoruba do you go and there is no central mosque? Tell me if you know. I will like to visit it.

Please people should remind this man about ileya among the Yorubas, how many Eran ileyas the yorubas buy. It is an industry all if its own. I will not talk about the ojude Oba in ijebu ode. I think this man needs to get out more often.

Now about the american muslims, where on earth have you heard what you said? In your village which probably don't even know that america exist? You make me laugh. You must be a comedian, the haha type.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Mustay(m): 11:22am On Jul 28, 2008
This just reminds me of the topic Do Ibo Muslims Exist?.

Some don't wanna believe that Muslims exist even in he delta undecided tongue tongue wink
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by cold(m): 11:45am On Jul 28, 2008
I think 1 of the rzns y the Hausa moslems view the Yoruba moslems as inferiors is because weneva the yoruba moslems mingle with the hausas they tend to loose their identity.They become more hausa than the hausas.Some would even pretend they don't understand yoruba or tell u they come 4rm somewhere in the North,just to get along with their Hausa counterparts.I have quite a number of yoruba muslim frnds who wld barely speak a word of yoruba even to themselves,they prefer to interact in hausa(what a shame).On top of that y do the Yorubas and Hausas have their Mosques separate?Is it not an acceptance of inferiority on the part of the Yorubas.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by ayinba1(f): 11:57am On Jul 28, 2008
@cold

Re- articulate. your argument is flawed. Separate mosques? is a meter for inferiority complex

How about other non muslims in the North who choose to claim to beeing Hausa for safety, business and political reasons?

Have you even everlived in the North?

Can you back up your claims??

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by cold(m): 12:20pm On Jul 28, 2008
I still insist that it is the yorubas that put themselves in a position to be looked down upon by the hausas.My statement may be debatable but definitely not flawed.Okay,let's take the announcement of the sighting of the moon for the start of the Fasting period.Why does it have to be the Sultan of Sokoto that announces the sighting,y not 1 of the recognised Obas in the South.Even if the sighting is done anywhere else it has to be relayed to the Sultan,(beats me hollow).Again let me make a case of Emirs in Southern areas of the country.(Probably we nid to go back to the Jihad of Uthman Dan Fodio)
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by ayinba1(f): 12:38pm On Jul 28, 2008
You seem to know so much about muslims in Nigeria, yet you fail to realise/acknowledge that almost yearly,our fasting

start dates and Eid days are different. This means that we do no wait on the Sultan's announcement, kapish

See this is why I say that your argument is totally flawed and the more you post, the more obviuos it gets.

It is okay to join a discussion but you need to have your facts.

yes the Sultan can refuse to acknowledge that the moon was sighted in Lagos/Oshun or by a Yoruba person, that is him

exercising his freedom , that is not Islam.

And because I can exercise my own freedom too, to worship Allah, if the moon was sighted in Kosovo, IjebuOde,

Katsina, Abakaliki or USA, I am obliged to act based on that. if the person that claimed to sight the moon falsified it, it is

on him/her. It is really a non - issue for true muslims.

I hope you are learning something from these posts because I see that you do not know about some of the things that

you post.

And I suspect that with your show of half knowledge, you are probably a muslim's child and even if you are not,

welcome to the fold. I assure you that  Insha Allah you will be blessed and successful
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by cold(m): 1:12pm On Jul 28, 2008
Okay let me just agree for the sake of argument that my argument is flawed and half-baked.Can u plz tell me y the Hausas wld drag a yorubamuslim out of the mosque and slay him like an "infidel"(in one instance & in the other they patiently waited for him to finish praying b4 decapitating him).All these happened during the infamous Jos crisis in2001,and don't ask me how i knew because i was there.It simply boils down to what i have been sayin all along that the Hausas don't consider the yorubas as equals in the faith.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by MCUsman(m): 1:20pm On Jul 28, 2008
cold:

I still insist that it is the yorubas that put themselves in a position to be looked down upon by the hausas.

The Hausa's as i said ealier consider the Yorubas as great muslims, we have couple of Yoruba clerics giving sermons in Kano. I graduated from Bayero University, throughout my 4 years the most of the exco of MSS are Yorubas. So the issue of inferioirty does not exist. However, premitive and illeterates peopel from the north have held this notion that only Hausa's & Arabs are muslims.

cold:

My statement may be debatable but definitely not flawed.

My statement may be flawed but debatable. That should be the right statement

cold:

Why does it have to be the Sultan of Sokoto that announces the sighting,

The Sultan of Sokoto is the spiritual leader of the muslim community in Nigeria.

cold:

not 1 of the recognised Obas in the South.Even if the sighting is done anywhere else it has to be relayed to the Sultan

The emir of Kano i assumed is one of the most powerful traditional rulers in Nigeria, more powerful and influencial than the Sultan himself, but he can not announce the slighting of the moon unless the sultan has directed. Same thing applied to other Obas
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by MCUsman(m): 1:23pm On Jul 28, 2008
cold:

don't ask me how i knew because i was there.It simply boils down to what i have been sayin all along that the Hausas don't consider the yorubas as equals in the faith.

Sorry we have to ask for proof, otherwise your statement is flawed once again
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by cold(m): 2:09pm On Jul 28, 2008
We can go on & on but the fact remains that the Hausas and the Yorubas are not on the same pedestal as far as islam is concerned(not my opinion).When the Northerners need a wider political coverage they use the yorubas like the late Sunday Awoniyi(I don't nid to be reminded that he is not a muslim) Alhaji Lateef Adegbite etc.But when when the chips are down the yorubas count for nothing.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by olabowale(m): 2:59pm On Jul 28, 2008
@Cool:

Can u plz tell me y the Hausas would drag a yorubamuslim out of the mosque and slay him like an "infidel"(in one instance & in the other they patiently waited for him to finish praying before decapitating him).

No one here can read the mind of another man, who did something that you mensioned above. If he did not say why he did it, no one can read it from his mind. Have you heard about how Egyptian authority deals with theirislamic scholars who are not tolling the line of their politiking? They incarcirate them. The slaughter them. They will eevn let loose a big cat that they have starved in the prison cell they keep him, hoping that the animal will kill him and feed on him. They are all Egyptians, having the same tribal origin as one another! A man who kills unjustly will answer to Allah. period

You forgot that what you have said about the norther people, is not based on pure islam, but tribal traditions and politics. i was shocked when i read sometimes in the past that Yakubu Gowon was a major factor in the arewa council! The yakubu who is not a muslim, who did not see fit to marry a hausa woman, and of course, a big and inefficient wishy washy leader. Shame on them was my statement. Is tribal tradition and coesiveness more important than Qur'an speeches, Sunnan and the unique tradition of Islam? In the heart of believers the answer is no.

If the muslims in the north, or in the south or anywhere for that matter have read the Qur'an and followed its statement about our responsible behavior towards each other, do you think the hausa muslims would have cozy up with Gowon, or the evil behavior of Babangida, Abasha, Abdalsalaam, etc against their own brother in faith, late MKO Abiola? This is what you fail to see. We the muslims in America and others in the west and many who are in nigeria too afraid to speak up see this. We know what islam calls for among muslims and then radiated to others.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by ayinba1(f): 3:28am On Jul 29, 2008
@cold

let us agree with your opinion for the sake of "argument" Are the Hausas the determinant of who enters Paradise? If

you know the answer to this question, it might allay your troubled mind.

To the Yoruba or any other muslim, it is how they are regarded in the sight of Allah that is paramount.

Racism, tribalism, nepotism are ills of society that plagues the world,these arethings that Allah warns us about in

the Quran. People still practice it be they Xtian, muslims or atheist, why they do? you'll have to ask the one practising it.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by DeepZone: 4:29am On Jul 29, 2008
Wetin dey happen here? grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by DeepZone: 5:20am On Jul 29, 2008
The Sultan of Sokoto is the spiritual leader of the muslim community in Nigeria.
Why most your spiritual leader be hausa, why not Yoruba? You and i know that ain't gonna happen in our lifetime.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by DeepZone: 5:25am On Jul 29, 2008
This just reminds me of the topic Do Ibo Muslims Exist?.

Some don't want to believe that Muslims exist even in he delta

I've only heard of one ibo moslem and that is Abdulazeez Ude. all of them are christians even Brigadier Ike nwachuku whose mother is moslem hausa and wife moslem yoruba is still a christian. All these ibo moslems you people are claiming are totally false and inaccurate. Islam is yet to find it's feet in yorubaland(where they make up to 22% of the population), how much less iboland. Na for Nairaland sha.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Mustay(m): 10:01am On Jul 29, 2008
Did you click on the link on that question?
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by littleb(m): 11:13am On Jul 29, 2008
@deepzone,

I've only heard of one ibo moslem and that is Abdulazeez Ude. all of them are christians even Brigadier  Ike nwachuku whose mother is moslem hausa and wife moslem yoruba is still a christian. All these ibo moslems you people are claiming are totally false and inaccurate. Islam is yet to find it's feet in yorubaland(where they make up to  22% of the population), how much less iboland. Na for Nairaland sha.

YOu get it wrong, I had my NYSC  in eastern part of nigeria and there are central mosques and not only because of hausas. We have Ibo muslims in Owerri and Onitsha. Also, we have an elder (a chief)  who is even an executive in national association of muslim welfare. And for yorubaland, it is a nonsense utering to say islam is yet to find his feet, when Islam has been in existence long time in yoruba land before missionary.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by KunleOshob(m): 11:41am On Jul 29, 2008
@post
This is becos the yoruba moslems were colonized by the huasa muslems. This "Jihad"/ imposition was carried out by uthman danfodio over two hundred years ago and till date his decendants (sultans of sokoto) remain the spiritual head of all muslems in Nigeria. so technically and realistically speaking, the hausa muslim would always be superior cos there is no way a yoruba man can ever become a sultan of sokoto(spiritual head of muslems)
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Mustay(m): 12:24pm On Jul 29, 2008
KunleOshob:

so technically and realistically speaking, the hausa muslim would always be superior because there is no way a yoruba man can ever become a sultan of sokoto(spiritual head of muslems)

Allah (S.W.T.) says in surat Al-Hujurat, (verse 13), what be translated as, "O Mankind! We have created you from a male and female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honorable of you in the sight of Allah is he who has most taqwa among of you. Verily, Allah is All-Knowing, All-Aware."

With this verse, Islam declares equality among people, that is because Islam respect a human for being a human not for any other reason; Islam dose not distinguish between two races, or two groups of people, or between two colors, and the prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) addressed the people signifying that concept during the last pilgrimage, saying: "O People! Your God is one; your father is one; no preference of an Arab neither over non-Arab nor of a non-Arab over an Arab or red over black or black over red except for the most righteous. Verily the most honored of you is the most righteous."

Not only did Islam emphasize the equality principle theoretically, but did it practically in some of the worship acts that translated this principle into a sensible fact that dose not escape people minds, thus: in the mosques where Friday prayer is held once every week, as well as the five daily prayers; equality is exercised practically and all the differences vanishes among people. That is, whoever came to the Mosque first, took his place in the front rows despite his financial states or position, and whoever come late, his place is late and if you look at any row among the prayer's rows, you would find in that row the rich and poor, the knowledgeable and the one with no knowledge, the Arab and the non Arab, no differences all the same in sight of Allah (S.W.T.), their direction during prayer, as well as their reveled book, as their Lord is one and also their movements during the prayer following one Imam.

Also in the holy land where the annual pilgrimage and the Omrah is performed, the equality is even clearer and stronger that is because during prayer people may differ in their clothes but during pilgrimage and Omrah the Ihram situation oblige every one to only wear simple white clothes which equates the rich and the poor, the governor and governed, all walking around Ka'bah asking one lord.

This is Islam: emphasizing the equality and applying it in the society since 1400 years ago, when during that time mankind used to suffer the worst distinction among people and individuals in society and readied the enslaving of the human to his brother the human.

This is the secrete that made Islam and Muslims prevail nations in the past. It is a mistake to think that Islam prevailed only because Muslims like dying in the battles as other like to live. Islam did not prevail through battles only, but because Islam is a complete unique guidance for life, unique in it's rituals, beliefs, dealings and morals and from all with all that the religion of Allah is comprised, and with all that Muslims won and prevailed in the past, and with it Muslims can prevail and rule these days or any other time.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by KunleOshob(m): 1:00pm On Jul 29, 2008
@mustay
Your parable does not address my statement which you quoted.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by Mustay(m): 1:35pm On Jul 29, 2008
On the Do Ibo Muslims Exist? thread, some people like you also said "I do not know any Ibo muslim" or "I only know one Ibo muslim"
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by sistajay(f): 1:46pm On Jul 29, 2008
Another excuse for tribal politics mixed with religion, if yoruba moslems are considered inferior to hausa moslems, this shouldn't be.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? by DeepZone: 3:33pm On Jul 29, 2008
@Poster

you're mad - u need to have your head examined for ingratula noptid.

why come up with this thread?

Are we so scared of the truth nowadays even in religious threads?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ruling On Dealing/Buying Animate Toys (Bèèbí) For Children / The Fiqh Of Menstruation Part 1 / Kofi Anan Quoting From Nahjul-balagha In Praise Of Imam Ali's (as) Leadership

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.