Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,172 members, 7,807,548 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:11 PM

What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name (11211 Views)

Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Tb2: 10:25pm On Dec 07, 2013
Greetings to all at Nairaland

I am trying to learn about Nigerian cultures, which has brought me here. I am American with a limited understanding about African way of life. so I figured I can start here to obtain some knowledge. Please forgive my ignorance concerning Nigerian culture. Only thing I truly know pertaining to Africa is what I have read up on or seen on television. I know there are different groups in Nigeria and many of them I am not even aware of so all representatives provide your input.

What I would like to know for starters is the meaning behind the different tribe names in Nigeria? Could you provide a brief summary of the name's significance.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Emmyk(m): 10:44pm On Dec 07, 2013
Alright.
It's not like I even understand you tho.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by rxhush: 6:59pm On Dec 08, 2013
Ok
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Roland17(m): 6:59pm On Dec 08, 2013
My tribe's name is my IDENTITY, it reminds me of whose son I am, my heritage and my linage which I am very proud of.

From the little i researched overtime and times spent with oldies while in "Owerre", Igbo can not be defined particularly in one word, as the word is pronounced "Ndi Igbo" which is also the short form of "Ndi Gboo Gboo" which means "Ancient people" when translated into English literally.

I hope this helps you

#PROUDIGBOBOY#

18 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 7:00pm On Dec 08, 2013
I am representing a popular tribe in the northern part of Nigeria, more specifically Borno state, the tribe is known as BURA, dominant names in the culture of this tribe include

BIRMA- Meaning Prince which is used as a name or title.

HYELADZIRA- Emmanuel which means God is with us.

HARAHYEL- the handwork of God.

HYELHIRA- God loves me.

LEMSU- Blessing

HYELNI- God gave me.

HIRHYEL- God's love.

SHIKTRA- comfort.

AKLAHYEL- belonging to God.

Pheeew!
Just to mention a few.

9 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Damboy96(m): 7:00pm On Dec 08, 2013
space booked
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Afam4eva(m): 7:01pm On Dec 08, 2013
I don't know the meaning of my tribe ethnic group IGBO.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 7:02pm On Dec 08, 2013
I dey com
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 7:03pm On Dec 08, 2013
You must likely won't get adequate, accurate information here, cos I for one I'm igbo and don't the meaning, same thing with most youths except those that grew up with their grandparents or in the village.

The significance hmm, can't really say anything about that except for the 'bias' favour you receive from ur fellow tribesmen.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Castos(m): 7:05pm On Dec 08, 2013
Mine is IGBO(weed)
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by kennyonthrone(m): 7:06pm On Dec 08, 2013
Am Chinedu
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by nerodenero: 7:07pm On Dec 08, 2013
Castos: Mine is IGBO(weed)
You don buy job!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by nerodenero: 7:08pm On Dec 08, 2013
You don buy jobGet ready to be blown and torn apartgringringrin
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by LadyH(f): 7:08pm On Dec 08, 2013
fo real sha...dis mata nor too clear. undecided
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by ichommy(m): 7:08pm On Dec 08, 2013
Brb, let me console Ifa if I should talk to you. consoling Ifa *Carry Opele, Ifa Olokun Asoro Dayo Waju Opon ogbo olukurin lotun olukurin losi arin opon ohun orun mafibi fore more fo ibi mafi ololo fohun* Oya. OP, bring out Dollar and talk to Ifa. *Ba ifa ni gbolohun*

OP, My tribe name is Adekunmi meaning *Crown Join me* Royal Family.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by LadyH(f): 7:09pm On Dec 08, 2013
hihuhi. u r high on it clearly. u r forgiven.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 7:10pm On Dec 08, 2013
mine is igbo.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by moscobabs(m): 7:10pm On Dec 08, 2013
ooooooo
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Castos(m): 7:11pm On Dec 08, 2013
nerodenero: You don buy jobGet ready to be blown and torn apartgringringrin
Let's know who wants it more.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Preceedo(m): 7:11pm On Dec 08, 2013
We too have been trying to know the significace of some american names pls, what do these names mean:

washington, michigan, okhaloma, ohio, iowa, indiana, alabama, hawaii, illinois, alaska,wyoming etc

2. Why do most americans bear silly names like.

Bill GATES, charles GABAGGE, george BUSH, etc

8 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Castos(m): 7:12pm On Dec 08, 2013
LadyH: ok...wait
LADY HI
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by bishungclem: 7:12pm On Dec 08, 2013
Names usually have meanings.mine is Bishung meaning a strong lion.usually these names portray what happens around someone,what destiny the person has and what happened before the person was born.some old folk stories actually attribute it to what that person was before been born.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Afam4eva(m): 7:12pm On Dec 08, 2013
moscobabs: my is Oluwatunmise Which means God replenished me then Babatunde means Father Comes back, this themost popular name in yoruba land cos every famies must have at least one Babatunde
I never knew there was a tribe call Babatunde in Nigeria.

9 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Oguieke(m): 7:13pm On Dec 08, 2013
mine is "uzoenuigwe" meaning heavenly GATE or ROAD to HeaVEN. its my igbo native name.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by mixzy: 7:13pm On Dec 08, 2013
FOR SECURITY PURPOSE
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by LadyH(f): 7:16pm On Dec 08, 2013
Castos: LADY HI
grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by 144(m): 7:17pm On Dec 08, 2013
grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Preceedo(m): 7:17pm On Dec 08, 2013
My name is OMOKHAGBOR it means child is life.
Am from EDO- derived from the yoruba word "itedo" i.e where people settle.
NIGERIA means Niger Area!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Wizdray: 7:18pm On Dec 08, 2013
D0nt expect gud answer at this fr0ntpage op cos OUR pipu ll b reserving space. Wait til page 2 or more
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by slimthugchimee(m): 7:19pm On Dec 08, 2013
Igbo means

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by rioemmanuel(m): 7:19pm On Dec 08, 2013
I GIVE UP

Na yur tribe name b dat

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire / Addis Abeba, Ethiopia - The Prostitution Capital Of Africa / Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.