Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,866 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

Are Employers Being Fair?? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Are Employers Being Fair?? (6691 Views)

ICS Talent Bank: Biggest Job Fair In West Africa / Best FREE CV Formats To Make You Stand Out To Employers / Do Employers Ask For Payslip Or Bank Statement Of Account? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by baba11(m): 1:52pm On Dec 09, 2013
sure way: go to campus and see how students spend most time with girls, sug (politics), football, party... and neglects the main purpose of going to school... few still make 2;1 but the problem is majority of the 2:2 n Co did the wrong thing at the right time....don't blame employers at times it's kamal @ work .
....bro,u av a point here...
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by beewhyfocs(m): 1:57pm On Dec 09, 2013
kennygee: It's their loss. How many of those who have the 2.1 can actually defend it? Most of them just buy results or pay their way to school, it's still a "garbage in garbage out" thing.

Many of them can defend their result. If you think otherwise, the same applies to those with 2.2 as well.

1 Like

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Dec 09, 2013
Eeyahhhh! OP, sori ooo sad
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by paparazzi1987(m): 2:15pm On Dec 09, 2013
kennygee: It's their loss. How many of those who have the 2.1 can actually defend it? Most of them just buy results or pay their way to school, it's still a "garbage in garbage out" thing.
e dey pain you, just becos u came out with 2.2 abi grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by Lanretoye(m): 2:16pm On Dec 09, 2013
Abi dem don fair ni?...The one wey vex me pass na say them go list ur responsibilities for ur job description com still add "and any other task as may be assigned".
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Dec 09, 2013
Every course is hard equally! I studied Engineering and i couldn't have imagined myself studying history. Not because it's irrelevant. My brain is just not capable of cramming and the reading of the big books in history that knows no end. So you see? That's the reason why words such as 'choice' and 'capabilities' exist. Enough of nigerians trying to undermine some professions. That's the reason we have so many dormant sectors in the country!

1 Like

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by XPresie: 2:45pm On Dec 09, 2013
Raggedy_Ann: Why would someone who studied English and someone who studied Engineering be applying for the same job? Unless the employers are hiring for other skills like - comm skills, leadership skills, initiative, astute deduction etc.... and whatever they studied is irrelevant.
Graduate (Entry Level) recruitment is always/mostly like that, especially in Multinationals'
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by sureway1(m): 2:48pm On Dec 09, 2013
Okija_juju:

i'm sorry but you are wrong.. #period.
l may be wrong sir but not 100% wrong...let be sincere with ourselves at times...imagine l have a paper tomorrow and l spend my night watching champion's league, hanging out with a girl, attending party, browsing NL...in most cases some pple are very brilliant but cos of over confidence they fail...

for those other two asking who kamal is sorry if you do not get it....pple reap the fruits of their labour.

1 Like

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by nnomy3: 2:57pm On Dec 09, 2013
I think we d undergraduates should learn from this, work hard to get good grades and develop ourselves...
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by vislabraye(m): 3:01pm On Dec 09, 2013
If U study Engr and come out with a 2:2 , Maths or Statistics, employers will more likely look ur way especially if U know what ur doing.
But funny think is that I know someone who came out with a 1st class in Maths. After service in the East, he got a bank job there. After several years, he got tired of the East and wAnted to relocate elsewhere but he was not granted his desire. He ended up resigning and relocated to Lagos. After a year without job, he managed to get a marketing job somewhere.

Getting a good grade is the 1st step. But being lucky is another step.
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by mollusco: 3:13pm On Dec 09, 2013
alaric saltzman: happy sunday pals!

wanna hear your opinions on something i feel is unfair(my opinion ooo). Do you think employers that demand a minimum of second class upper in any field which makes someone ineligible to apply for a job are being fair considering the fact that some courses offered in school are harder than others. though every course is hard in its own way but let us be realistic here, you can't compare engineering/industrial chemistry to linguistics/english. yet someone with a 2'1 in the latter has advantage over someone with a 2'2 in the former, both applying for the same job, afterall they will be trained.

discuss your take on this...

Are you trying to say that either of both Linguistics and English Studies is not challenging enough?
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by Rexphobia(m): 3:22pm On Dec 09, 2013
sure way:
l may be wrong sir but not 100% wrong...let be sincere with ourselves at times...imagine l have a paper tomorrow and l spend my night watching champion's league, hanging out with a girl, attending party, browsing NL...in most cases some pple are very brilliant but cos of over confidence they fail...

for those other two asking who kamal karma is sorry if you do not get it....pple reap the fruits of their labour.
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by PROVENSOLUTION: 3:26pm On Dec 09, 2013
To add to what the person that say being an expert in a chosen field is the best way to beat unemployment.

To be an expert, start with knowing whom you are wired to be.

Hence why I insist people should be better off, if they seek the service of career counselor/giudance counselor.
If you don't know one consider provensolutions. Download their questionnaire from www.provensolutions.com.ng/visibilityservice. Take and mail same to them via nmc@provensolutions.com.ng. Specifying you are in for career counseling service
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by sureway1(m): 3:27pm On Dec 09, 2013
nnomy3: I think we d undergraduates should learn from this, work hard to get good grades and develop ourselves...

yeah you need to...our problem is inferiority complex and claiming that most celebrity do not even graduate with 2:1 not to talk of 1st class... when some undergraduates mentioned soyinka l asked them are you soyinka they said No...if you work hard it will be a plus.
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by sureway1(m): 3:29pm On Dec 09, 2013
Rexphobia:

thanks
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Dec 09, 2013
sure way:

for those other two asking who kamal is sorry if you do not get it....pple reap the fruits of their labour.

Sorry if u do not get it either embarassed

It is karma not kamal lipsrsealed
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by olabode89(m): 4:57pm On Dec 09, 2013

Hehehe... U can defend ur PASS, right?

I get irritated when I see clueless comments like yours. If they buy result in the university you graduated from, it's not done everywhere!!

Grow some brain cells!
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by sureway1(m): 6:24pm On Dec 09, 2013

Sorry if u do not get it either embarassed

It is karma not kamal lipsrsealed

thanks, l appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by DOnly1(m): 8:45pm On Dec 09, 2013
ednut1: blame ova population, imagine u own a company nd put advert for 5 positions nd 100000 pple send cv hw do u conduct test nd evaluate dm, dats y u wil see age. grade tins to reduce applicants, blame govt 4 nt creatin enablin environment 4 industries nd our parents 4 ovapopulation. mean while d 2.1 dnt guarantee job

as concerning population, human resource has it's advantages; & it's only for d smart one who do not remain tied 2 only their cvs. y nt start sometin & create jobs for others also. remember, if u let go of those beautiful dreams of yours; then u'll help others achiev theirs
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by ruffhandu: 9:50pm On Dec 09, 2013

yeah, I think those who made 2.2, 3rd class and pass can defend their grades better than the 2.1s & 1st class. pls encourage younger people to work very hard and get the best they can lay their hands on and not beefing people who have performed better. The fact may be that for every 2.1 material who can't defend his grade, there are five 2.2 materials who don't know their left from their right. Don't blame employers, everyone wants the best.

nnomy3: I think we d undergraduates should learn from this, work hard to get good grades and develop ourselves...

yes dear, there is time for everything, this is your time to study. good grades will pave way for you to come before employers to prove yourself.
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by mkoabiola: 11:21pm On Dec 09, 2013
It depnds
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by alpontif(m): 8:19am On Dec 10, 2013
Until Nigerian Graduates start placing themselves in the shoes potential employers, I think the frustration will not end. the ultimate aim of any organisation( private) is to make money at the lowest possible cost for its shareholders. trying to hire the best of the best is oneof the steps in that direction, it is easier and cheaper to mandate that minimum requirement for a job is 2:1, then select the right candidate from this crop of individuals. at the end of the day, management is looking at the cost-benefit ratio, the HR process should not be needlessly expensive, and implementing minimum grade requirements for applicants is one of the cost management strategies.

Also, Nigerian graduates have this pull-him-down complex about people with better academic results. You find the average 2:2 graduate saying those who graduated with 2:1 cheated, bought the result, bleeped the lecturer etc. the fact that they were unable to make such result has created that particular envious attitude to graduates with better grades.

See, Your grade does not actually get you a job- yes it might get you noticed, but it is the perceived benefit the employer feels he can get from epmploying you that prompts him to do so. the skills you have that can add instant value to your potential epmloyer's business is the reason why you get the job, not necessarily because of your grade. Graduates need to start imagining themselves as employers of labor, if you build up a company, what sort of workers do you want to employ? if you do not see yourself hiring the person you are now with the skills you have now, then dont blame the Employers, work on yourself.

Finally, I had a 2:2 IN Engineering ( I was very Lazy in School), but I have very mad Engineering Software and Design Skills, Once I realized it was too late to make a 2:1, I started buying all the engineering softwares i could lay my hands on, ( Very Cheap in Computer Village), with their tutorials, Printed business cards, and started playing around with the softwares, By my service year the average price I charge for eg An architectural animation project is in the range of the upper hundreds of thousands. Putting all this on a Cv, the right thinking employer will be begging you to come work for them. So Skills are extremely very important, But It would have been easier If i had a better grade, So Grades are also extremely very important. A balance between mad skills and excellent grades plus Luck(God) is what determines where you get to in life.

My one Kobo.
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by alpontif(m): 8:21am On Dec 10, 2013
And By the way, I have never seen a First Class Graduate that cannot defend his/her result. 90 percent of the 2:1 graduates I Know can defend their results. Stop Beefing.
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by Nobody: 8:52am On Dec 10, 2013
X-Presie:

Graduate (Entry Level) recruitment is always/mostly like that, especially in Multinationals'

You really do believe that, don't you? About multinationals? Hmm. Have you ever seen a process engineer at spdc whose first degree was in fine art? They would rather employ a 2.2 graduate of chem eng than a first class fine art graduate because there is such a thing as "relevant field of study".

There are some, less technical, jobs you could land with interpersonal skills like marketing, that's why banks are less discriminatory about what one studied.

It's not smart to develop a product and then look for who needs it afterwards; that goes against the laws of economics, there should be demand before supply (otherwise you will have people underpricing your product). We are better of identifying a need and developing the product to satisfy it. Students should choose disciplines with foresight - think of where you want to be and then do the things you need to do get there. Planning never fails.
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by alaricsaltzman: 9:38am On Dec 10, 2013
mollusco:

Are you trying to say that either of both Linguistics and English Studies is not challenging enough?
don't get me wrong...like i said, every course is hard in its own way...I'm just saying we should be realistic.

Majority of u don't get what m trying to point out. I'm not blaming or probing employers for demanding minimum of 2'1 just to trim down number of applications. But some organizations will tell u minimum of 2'1 in any field because they know u will be trained. in any case, i believe it's due to the high level of unemployment and what the country has turned graduates to that someone who read engineering/medicine will be applying for a bank job. if they do it in such a way that they filter courses that are not relevant to their organization, then everyone will be in with a fair chance of getting the job(s). then again, there z d issue of nepotism, if u no sum1, no matter ur course or grade, u'll get the job...shikena!
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by jpphilips(m): 6:08pm On Dec 10, 2013
alaric saltzman: happy sunday pals!

wanna hear your opinions on something i feel is unfair(my opinion ooo). Do you think employers that demand a minimum of second class upper in any field which makes someone ineligible to apply for a job are being fair considering the fact that some courses offered in school are harder than others. though every course is hard in its own way but let us be realistic here, you can't compare engineering/industrial chemistry to linguistics/english. yet someone with a 2'1 in the latter has advantage over someone with a 2'2 in the former, both applying for the same job, afterall they will be trained.

discuss your take on this...

*modified* i no be like pple wey shout say dem don make frontpage ooo...bt i need to acknowledge dis one as per first tym tinz wink wink grin grin

Is it fair that your folks toiled this same unfair ambiance you are complaining about, conquered it to eke a living to send you to school, you left it for Nairaland romance section, BBA and other popular social vices only to end up with a degree commensurate with your efforts which undermines your folk's efforts, is it fair?
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by dlex21(m): 7:29am On Dec 11, 2013
jp philips:

Is it fair that your folks toiled this same unfair ambiance you are complaining about, conquered it to eke a living to send you to school, you left it for Nairaland romance section, BBA and other popular social vices only to end up with a degree commensurate with your efforts which undermines your folk's efforts, is it fair?
i hate it wen i see pple blame graduating with anything less than a 2'1 on unseriousness on d path of d student...there r many factors that can contribute na. we even have pple who read heaven n earth in school comin out with a 3rd class. at d same time, pple buy their way to graduating with 2'1...sooo yes! it is fair!!!
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by jpphilips(m): 8:42am On Dec 11, 2013
dlex21:
i hate it wen i see pple blame graduating with anything less than a 2'1 on unseriousness on d path of d student...there r many factors that can contribute na. we even have pple who read heaven n earth in school comin out with a 3rd class. at d same time, pple buy their way to graduating with 2'1...sooo yes! it is fair!!!

Every failure has a good reason, what other reasons this time lets hear it? truth is; your employer doesn't give a sh!!t what your reasons are, it is his job as such can do anything he likes with it. when you create your own job, you are free to hire as many university attempted as you wish.
I enjoy it more when the reality is setting in to some chaps who think that life is a walk in the park, i commented on a thread concerning this trend and some bingos who haven't made it past the sophomore class were talking thrash, very well, then, we are all ears for the "good reasons"
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by jpphilips(m): 9:01am On Dec 11, 2013
alaric saltzman:
don't get me wrong...like i said, every course is hard in its own way...I'm just saying we should be realistic.

Majority of u don't get what m trying to point out. I'm not blaming or probing employers for demanding minimum of 2'1 just to trim down number of applications. But some organizations will tell u minimum of 2'1 in any field because they know u will be trained. in any case, i believe it's due to the high level of unemployment and what the country has turned graduates to that someone who read engineering/medicine will be applying for a bank job. if they do it in such a way that they filter courses that are not relevant to their organization, then everyone will be in with a fair chance of getting the job(s). then again, there z d issue of nepotism, if u no sum1, no matter ur course or grade, u'll get the job...shikena!

You still don't have a point, as a student, how many of your seniors did you sit and discuss with to know what reality keeps on the table? how many of your older brothers, cousins and sisters did you relate to know how things are done on the other side?
you never did them, you chose to live in ignorance for so long till the reality became inevitable then you come out and blame the employer, who is next on your blame list? lemme guess, god?

You may have had the opportunity to do an industrial attachment, how many of the workers there in did you interact with on what needs to be done?
in your imagination, you think you will have engineers on one side with their grades, natural and earth science one side, then probably, humanities on one side, lol, that is a grand delusion for any mind that thought that, but i don't blame you, I blame the kinda activities that took your time for so long.

An Anthropology student had the temerity to thrash my post because her lecturer told her she can work "anywhere", after graduation, reality will define "anywhere" for her, that is the mind set of an average student, even in this internet age when information can easily be sought.
what more can I say, when 90days of her life is committed to Big brother Africa. you never even see anything sef.
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by XPresie: 12:58pm On Dec 11, 2013
Raggedy_Ann:

You really do believe that, don't you? About multinationals? Hmm. Have you ever seen a process engineer at spdc whose first degree was in fine art? They would rather employ a 2.2 graduate of chem eng than a first class fine art graduate because there......
Thank you guy and don't you forget as well that several units/departments make those organizations. Lawyers are there in the Bank; Account Professionals are needed at SPDC....
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by ddjay: 2:17pm On Dec 11, 2013
what am also seeing ds days is HOLIDAY JOBS FOR UNDERGRADUTES AND JOBS FOR CORPERS TO BOOST CV.i wonder,ds employers are gradually cheapening jobs o employment
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by alaricsaltzman: 10:04am On Dec 12, 2013
jp philips:

You still don't have a point, as a student, how many of your seniors did you sit and discuss with to know what reality keeps on the table? how many of your older brothers, cousins and sisters did you relate to know how things are done on the other side?
you never did them, you chose to live in ignorance for so long till the reality became inevitable then you come out and blame the employer, who is next on your blame list? lemme guess, god?

You may have had the opportunity to do an industrial attachment, how many of the workers there in did you interact with on what needs to be done?
in your imagination, you think you will have engineers on one side with their grades, natural and earth science one side, then probably, humanities on one side, lol, that is a grand delusion for any mind that thought that, but i don't blame you, I blame the kinda activities that took your time for so long.

An Anthropology student had the temerity to thrash my post because her lecturer told her she can work "anywhere", after graduation, reality will define "anywhere" for her, that is the mind set of an average student, even in this internet age when information can easily be sought.
what more can I say, when 90days of her life is committed to Big brother Africa. you never even see anything sef.
frm all u av typed, will be suprised if u didnt graduate with a first class...if yes! congrats...bt lets be realistic, its not what u graduate with that will define what u'll become in life, it may be used as a springboard...so stop making it seem like those with anything less than a 2'1 don't av hope in life

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Massive Recruitment At Drilldeep Oil And Gas Company Limited / Amaiden Energy Nigeria Limited Job Recruitment (10 Positions) / Brewery Industry: Salary Structure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.