Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,123 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:09 AM

When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? (1092 Views)

She Confessed To Have Committed Adultery.advise Please / Husbands: Can You Forgive Your Wife After She Confessed She Committed Adultery? / Man Catches Wife Committing Adultery In Jos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? by charlsecy(m): 1:27pm On Dec 08, 2013
I know there is a difference between adultery and fornication.

Adultery is when a married person sleeps with a person other than their legally married spouse.

Fornication is when an unmarried person has sex with a person of any marital status.

My question is, when is a person considered legally married, such that if the person sleeps with another person, it will be considered adultery? Is it after verbal proposal, after bride-price paying, or after traditional wedding?
Re: When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? by EfemenaXY: 1:49pm On Dec 08, 2013
^^ All of the above.

From the moment the verbal promise is made, you're as good as married to your spouse. Paying the bride price / church wedding / signing the register are mere formalities.

Why d'you ask?
Re: When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? by charlsecy(m): 2:34pm On Dec 08, 2013
Efemena_xy: Why d'you ask?

I am just curious.

Efemena_xy: ^^ All of the above. From the moment the verbal promise is made, you're as good as married to your spouse. Paying the bride price / church wedding / signing the register are mere formalities.

Are you saying if you propose to a girl, that you are already her husband, and she, your wife?
Re: When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? by kreamidiva(f): 3:24pm On Dec 08, 2013
oga op,hope say u never commit any of the above o

2 Likes

Re: When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? by EfemenaXY: 3:45pm On Dec 08, 2013
charlsecy:

I am just curious.

Are you saying if you propose to a girl, that you are already her husband, and she, your wife?

When you propose to a girl, what do you say / ask her? You ask her to marry you, don't you?

And what is your understanding of marriage, if not a promise of comittment and faithfulness to your spouse? From the point your proposal of marriage is accepted, you become off-limits to others, and they you. Same thing goes for your partner / intended.

Everything else that follows is/are mere formalities.

If either of you are still intent on chasing / wooing others on the outside, then you have no business planning to get married as it shows you aren't ready for the full comittment it entails.
Re: When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? by greatgod2012(f): 3:46pm On Dec 08, 2013
kreami diva: oga op,hope say u never commit any of the above o

i doubt if he has not committed it/them.
Re: When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? by charlsecy(m): 7:57pm On Dec 08, 2013
@Efemena_xy
Thanks for your response.

kreami diva: oga op,hope say u never commit any of the above o
greatgod2012: i doubt if he has not committed it/them.

Why is it that whenever a person asks a question, they are accused of one thing or the other?
Re: When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? by Obinoscopy(m): 5:46am On Dec 09, 2013
charlsecy:
Why is it that whenever a person asks a question, they are accused of one thing or the other?
That's Nigerians for you. We're unique, aren't we? grin
Re: When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? by charlsecy(m): 7:38am On Dec 09, 2013
@Obinoscopy
Not really about Nigerians, but about people who are not yet upgraded enough to engage in a stimulating discussion.

@Efemena_xy
I understand your point, but why is it considered sinful if an engaged couple live together, as if they had officially exchanged vows? If marriage is complete as soon as proposal and acceptance are initiated, why is co-habitation not advised?
Re: When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? by greatgod2012(f): 8:17am On Dec 09, 2013
Sorry if i came hard on you. We all know, this is Africa, once you see people asking some questions that seems ridiculous, that even a kid can provide answers to, it is usually in an attempt to find excuses for their actions.

As per you last question, it depends on your believe and conscience. If you believe that after engagement, you're already one, your ther half agrees to this, and your conscience does not go against having intimacy together, so be it, but if your believe and conscience is against it, why don't you complete every necessary arrangement for you to be together, so that, you wouldn't feel guilty within.
As per co-habitation, if after living tgether for about 3 months, during which she get pregnant and you now discover some attitude you don't like or you can't cope with in her, what will you do? Ask her to abort the baby and go her way, or let her have the baby and later send her away after she might have put to bed.
My opinion, please.

2 Likes

Re: When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? by kreamidiva(f): 10:10am On Dec 09, 2013
ok o,charly no vex
Re: When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? by EfemenaXY: 11:07am On Dec 09, 2013
charlsecy:
@Efemena_xy
I understand your point, but why is it considered sinful if an engaged couple live together, as if they had officially exchanged vows? If marriage is complete as soon as proposal and acceptance are initiated, why is co-habitation not advised?

Who says co-habitation is sinful or is not acceptable?

I'm of the school of thought that supports cohabiting as long as its between financially independent couples intending to wed - and not a pair of ho.rny teenagers attempting to induldge in adult games.

https://www.nairaland.com/1529958/cohabitation-recipe-successful-marriage-live
Re: When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? by baralatie(m): 5:53pm On Dec 09, 2013
Obinoscopy: That's Nigerians for you. We're unique, aren't we? grin
we are world best nah!
Re: When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? by Alwaystrue(f): 10:06pm On Dec 09, 2013
charlsecy: I know there is a difference between adultery and fornication.

Adultery is when a married person sleeps with a person other than their legally married spouse.

Fornication is when an unmarried person has sex with a person of any marital status.

My question is, when is a person considered legally married, such that if the person sleeps with another person, it will be considered adultery? Is it after verbal proposal, after bride-price paying, or after traditional wedding?
Biblically and even per tradition, the bride is GIVEN AWAY (usually by her father or rep) to the groom in marriage and the groom accepts her is the seal of a marriage but if you have a 'commitment', you should keep it and stay.
Bethrotal is not the same as marriage, it is not about asking someone to marry you and she accepts and you go meet anyone else. Besides sex is for marriage.
Re: When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? by baralatie(m): 10:13pm On Dec 09, 2013
Alwaystrue:
Biblically and even per tradition, the bride is GIVEN AWAY (usually by her father or rep) to the groom in marriage and the groom accepts her is the seal of a marriage.
Bethrotal is not the same as marriage, it is not about asking someone to marry you and you accept and just assume you can do stuff o. You will not like it if your daughter did same.
Love does not behave unseemingly (carrying someone else daughter without consent).
merci!
Re: When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? by Alwaystrue(f): 10:21pm On Dec 09, 2013
^^^^^
made some ammendments to correspond with what OP wanted but noticed you had quoted me. Both are still OK though. Thanks.
Re: When Is A Person Said To Have Committed Adultery? by vickyO(f): 10:35pm On Dec 09, 2013
Alwaystrue:
Biblically and even per tradition, the bride is GIVEN AWAY (usually by her father or rep) to the groom in marriage and the groom accepts her is the seal of a marriage but if you have a 'commitment', you should keep it and stay.
Bethrotal is not the same as marriage, it is not about asking someone to marry you and she accepts and you go meet anyone else. Besides sex is for marriage.
uh huh
Correct.

(1) (Reply)

Check This Out!!! / We've All Done this as Kids / 10 Reasons To Absolutely Love Being Pregnant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.