Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:48 PM

Can A Skilled Programmer Make It In Nigeria? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Can A Skilled Programmer Make It In Nigeria? (1965 Views)

Skilled Web Developer Needed / I Need A Skilled Programmer. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Skilled Programmer Make It In Nigeria? by Ogisosoft(m): 7:42pm On Jun 17, 2006
All my is life programming. I love programming more than any other thing, despite being with an IT company that does not pay much money.

One of my friends told to keep on with my programming that he is self-employed now making money, but another man told that Nigerian programmers cannot not make it, that everybody like foreign programs.

Please advice. Peace.

1 Like

Re: Can A Skilled Programmer Make It In Nigeria? by sbucareer(f): 10:37pm On Jun 17, 2006

Why don't you write API and services that expose other useful programming interface? Create a website and put it for download for a license fee.

You will be amazed how many people will use you API. Big companies fall prey to big software developer. Have you thought about writing web FTP, creating easy wrapper classes to cut down development time?

Think into these areas and surely you could have you break through. Explore this company they write API's and simple utility software. While on their site visit their clients.

Re: Can A Skilled Programmer Make It In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 11:37am On Jun 20, 2006
It's not about your skills, it's about the problems you are able to solve with your skills.

If what people need is someone to help them install, configure and customize foreign software, why not provide that and make your money? Don't define your profession arbitrarily; let your supply be based on demand!
Re: Can A Skilled Programmer Make It In Nigeria? by sbucareer(f): 12:38pm On Jun 20, 2006

Seun is absolutely right. I have said it before in some of my threads in the past, to become rich in life like the Ibo, yoruba and hausa do, is to find a problem and provide a solution or try to provide a solution for it.

Most people know how to drive cars. To hold a driving license is a skill but not everyone is making money driving car. Michael Schumacher, the F1 driver makes a 1 million a month, that is £125K a week just driving car.

You can do the same with your skills, just sit down one day. I mean really sit down and get pen and paper and draw a Gnat Chart for a Month i.e.

1 - 7 July 2006   
Think and list all the problems in Nigeria

8 - 15 July 2006
Among the list of problems identified could any be solved using IT?

16 - 23 July 2006
Identify if it is feasible by conducting a small market research and come up with a business specification

24 -31 July 2006
Find money or find a partner with money and try to develop the product.

Finally, market via web or a bigger company, by the specail grace of God you could be on your way to financial freedom and probably an entrepreneur

Re: Can A Skilled Programmer Make It In Nigeria? by clocky(m): 1:10pm On Jun 20, 2006
Ogisosoft:

but another man told that Nigerian programmers cannot not make it, that everybody like foreign programs.

Please advice. Peace.

I dont think that is totally true. Basically some nija companies prefer foreiegn sofwtare because there is no readily available local alternative. What u can do is to identify these areas and creat a product so that companies can readily have alternativces. Foriegn softwares are not only expensive, they have to be customized to the nigerian enviroment.

I think all u have to do to be a successful self employed programmer is to identify problems and create competively priced products solving those problems it is the same logic in nija and in all other parts of the world.

The edge you guys have in nija is that there are just so many problems that needs to be solved.
Re: Can A Skilled Programmer Make It In Nigeria? by skima(m): 1:40pm On Jun 20, 2006
Good Talk SBU.

Dont start by stoping,

There is market in NIgeria IT industry, the earlier you tap into it the better. Though for now it may seem "no-money" put if u stick with it, and following the step above ( From SBU) ur on ur way to success. Nigeria is the best place for you to start now.

as in invest in IT.
Re: Can A Skilled Programmer Make It In Nigeria? by dakmanzero(m): 10:33am On Jun 21, 2006
let me give you a hint.

if you are a skilled programmer and want to make some money, begin paying attention to new directives from regulatory bodies to Banks, oil companies and telecoms companies.

those directives usually translate into a program which is usually developed in-house. Produce something better than what in-house coders can do and sell it. They WILL buy it and,

you

will

become

rich.

I have seen this happen many times.

As for how you achieve this? Well, that is what will determine whether you succeed or fail,
Re: Can A Skilled Programmer Make It In Nigeria? by kazey(m): 12:57am On Jun 22, 2006
If you don't do it, someone else would do it smiley Nigeria is still an untapped market. Have any of you guys read on the Ghanian People Soft? that conqured all the M$ and other competitors market due to their tailored and local streamlined apps, and Microsoft had to partner with them?

I heared they even have a Nigerian office.

Well it is a very promising market, especially in the religious and industry sector, just be very good at delivering those softwares, build first and work on selling it, or even renting it out on a lease system.
Re: Can A Skilled Programmer Make It In Nigeria? by Adrenaline123(m): 7:01pm On Jul 30, 2014
Seun: It's not about your skills, it's about the problems you are able to solve with your skills.

If what people need is someone to help them install, configure and customize foreign software, why not provide that and make your money? Don't define your profession arbitrarily; let your supply be based on demand!

You know I have always learned something from you sir, something you keep stressing. Get a problem and solve it.
I have read it from one of your write ups and then this. grin
Re: Can A Skilled Programmer Make It In Nigeria? by asalimpo(m): 9:16pm On Jul 30, 2014
undecided
Adrenaline123:

You know I have always learned something from you sir, something you keep stressing. Get a problem and solve it.

now,here goes a PAK-man (professional a.s.s kisser)
doing his thing undecided
Adrenaline123:

now,here goes a PAK-man (professional a.s.s kisser)
doing his thing
Re: Can A Skilled Programmer Make It In Nigeria? by Adrenaline123(m): 7:14am On Jul 31, 2014
Ignored

(1) (Reply)

In Need Of An Inventory Management System Software. / Who Can Pentest A Webform For Hidden Cookies And Tokens / In Need Of A Flutter App Developer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.