Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,113 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:35 PM

Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. - Literature (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. (66206 Views)

Bloody theresa (fictional Thriller) / ASOIAF Quotes / Game Of Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Bawss1(m): 10:18pm On Mar 14, 2015
It's been very quiet here lately. Where is everyone and what are they reading?
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by moski5(m): 11:01pm On Mar 14, 2015
SIRcumalot:

No problem just tell me your preferred format

hildash2@gmail.com
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by moski5(m): 11:02pm On Mar 14, 2015
SIRcumalot:

No problem just tell me your preferred format

hildash2@gmail.com
epub n pdf
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 7:35am On Mar 15, 2015
Bawss1:
It's been very quiet here lately. Where is everyone and what are they reading?

It's been a while.

Currently reading Jim Butcher's Codex Alera. I'm in book 4. Before that however, I read Alex Haley's Roots and Alice in Wonderland.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 9:52am On Mar 15, 2015
oluamid:

It's been a while.

Currently reading Jim Butcher's Codex Alera. I'm in book 4. Before that however, I read Alex Haley's Roots and Alice in Wonderland.
The Codex of Alera series is one of my favorite read it mutiple times. Enjoy ya sef.
am currently Fear and loathing in the la liga by Sid lowe.
Basically just a deeper look into the rivalry between Madrid and Barcelona.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by kay9(m): 10:37am On Apr 02, 2015
Abeg I'm too bored jare, its this thursday that feels like a friday....

Who wants to talk about the, ehnn, "forthcoming" Winds of Winter? grin grin

Walahi that book has gone beyond forthcoming, its now forth-going. grin
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Bawss1(m): 11:30am On Apr 02, 2015
What's there to talk about, GRRM might as well have given up on completing the series for all we know.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by moneyallowed(m): 12:21pm On Apr 02, 2015
Now that the tv show will include scenes from winds of winter, i don't see the point waiting for the books to come out. Grrm has sold out for commercial gain, pity as it was a great ride while it lasted. The ride is over for me, not sticking around to watch it derail

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 12:52pm On Apr 02, 2015
We could get two different endings ?
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Bawss1(m): 2:21pm On Apr 02, 2015
SIRcumalot:
We could get two different endings ?

You mean an ending for the books and another for the TV series? To what end?

If Moneyallowed's comment is true then I'll be very disappointed with GRRM. I had been wondering how the TV show would deal with Sansa and Petyr Baelish since it had caught up with them in the books. A pity.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 2:57pm On Apr 02, 2015
Bawss1:

You mean an ending for the books and another for the TV series? To what end?

If Moneyallowed's comment is true then I'll be very disappointed with GRRM. I had been wondering how the TV show would deal with Sansa and Petyr Baelish since it had caught up with them in the books. A pity.
Storys from the 5th book will definitely be in the new series since event that took place in the 4th and 5th book occurred mainly at the same time.
I still think the ending will be different I don't even think Lady Stoneheart is going to be in the Tv series.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by kay9(m): 3:37pm On Apr 02, 2015
^^^
True, that. From my clinical analysis cool of the online trailers, it is very likely that they intend to merge Lady Stoneheart's role into Sansa's. And apparently Young Griff will be cut out entirely (i'm not yet sure about Frog though), so Tyrion won't be taking that long-winded boat-ride down the Rhoyne after all.

I've heard say that in spite of the slowly widening differences, the final ending to the series will still be pretty close to what is planned for the books; what this tells me is that some characters and story arcs may ultimately become irrelevant in the final books even though at present they seem pretty crucial. Prime examples are Lady Stoneheart and young Aegon/Griff (is he really Aegon??). Now if I'm right, it means Jaime Lannister is likely going be "laying to rest" Lady Stoneheart when he finally meets her in books, and Aegon's forces are going to be crushed before they get within spitting distance of King's Landing - or conversely (and I prefer this version) he wins Kings Landing after a protracted siege (during time which Madam Dragon finally gets on her way back home) but decides he doesn't owe allegiance to Madam D who has just arrived, so Madam D simply swoops down and burns him to crispies grin )

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by sage1000: 8:01pm On Apr 03, 2015
Okay first of all. here is a new excerpt from the winds of winter

Sansa - http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-from-the-winds-of-winter/

Pretty good. If you haven't read the Mercy excerpt you should. it was awesome. If anyone has a copy of it, should please post it. it seems it was taken down from the site.

Considering the TV show and the books. it has been confirmed the show would be diverging completely away from the books this season, according to news expect characters that are still alive in the books to die this season. This time not even book readers are going to be safe from the shock of game of thrones.

To spark conversation here is a I really hope is true

Howland reed is posing as the High sparrow. This is where the theory is found - http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/116367-high-septon-howland-reed-30/

This would be freaking awesome. Been waiting for the revenge of the north since the beginning of the series
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 3:17pm On Apr 05, 2015
I write this with a wry smile on my lips. GGRM Don over fork up. I expected by this time we would have had WoW on our hands but what did I know?

Still I still would want to read the books to the end of it. Although the TV series will definitely help to assuage some of the hunger that is presently felt.

I expect there won't be a lot of spoilers. I think all the hype out there is just to get readers to join up with the show in hope of getting something new. I read somewhere that GGRM won't be writing anymore scene for the TV and would rather concentrate all his time on writing WoW.

Thanks sage1000 for that link, I'll definitely sink my teeth in. As for the Mercy chapter I think that's one of the reasons we love GGRM. You definitely can't fault the old man's ability for writing epic chapters.

2 Likes

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 8:02pm On Apr 05, 2015
I think most reader also watch the show.
As for me I don't feel any sort of anger towards GGRM if he likes sef he can stop writing altogether as much as love reading ,television is a better medium to tell a story.
Most authors I think write with the hope of their book eventually moving to the screen.
All novel adapted for the screen if it is well done would be remember fondly think Harry potter, Lord of the rings and the rest.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by sage1000: 8:42pm On Apr 05, 2015
SIRcumalot:
I think most reader also watch the show.
As for me I don't feel any sort of anger towards GGRM if he likes sef he can stop writing altogether as much as love reading ,television is a better medium to tell a story.
Most authors I think write with the hope of their book eventually moving to the screen.
All novel adapted for the screen if it is well done would be remember fondly think Harry potter, Lord of the rings and the rest.

Can't remember the source but I think it was stated that GRRM wrote with the opposite intention in mind. To craft an epic that would have been impossible to film due to its scope.

Enough people will feel anger ooo, the numerous storylines and plots that have been cut or merged would not come to light again. Abeg may the guy write it finish before dying.

A funny story. Something to wet our appetites as we eagerly await season 5
Batman reads Game of thrones https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10398338/1/Batman-vs-George-RR-Martin

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 8:52pm On Apr 05, 2015
sage1000:

Can't remember the source but I think it was stated that GRRM wrote with the opposite intention in mind. To craft an epic that would have been impossible to film due to its scope.

Enough people will feel anger ooo, the numerous storylines and plots that have been cut or merged would not come to light again. Abeg may the guy write it finish before dying.

A funny story. Something to wet our appetites as we eagerly await season 5
Batman reads Game of thrones https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10398338/1/Batman-vs-George-RR-Martin
Malazan: book of the fallen is an example of an epic fantasy that can't be filmed.
I read on wikipedia that his inspiration for the novel was the "war of roses" which actually happened.
The show runners know the end game of the whole story if they cut out the excess it probably because they are irrevelant or probably just red herrings.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by sage1000: 8:59pm On Apr 05, 2015
SIRcumalot:

Malazan: book of the fallen is an example of an epic fantasy that can't be filmed.
I read on wikipedia that his inspiration for the novel was the "war of roses" which actually happened.
The show runners know the end game of the whole story if they cut out the excess it probably because they are irrevelant or probably just red herrings.

Yeah,the scope of Malazan is just way too much but it can be filmed or at least serialized since it follows a much smaller group of characters. Yeah War of Roses actually happened in the middle ages and the Wall is based on one in real life.

They know the end game but are not going to stick with it since it would reduce the need for buying the books so from now on expect a different tale than what we have and what would come out.

Yeah, that may be the case but some of them are still pretty awesome like Lady Stoneheart, the Sand Snakes, Arianne Martell, The Young Griff, Pate, the Perfumed Seneschal, Euron Pyke etc. Granted some of them may still appear but it is doubtful

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Bawss1(m): 9:48pm On Apr 05, 2015
Lol. That batman story was a fun read.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 10:39pm On Apr 12, 2015
Just saw the leaked GOT episodes this show writers know wetin dem they do.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Bawss1(m): 12:11am On Apr 13, 2015
Saw the first two episodes from the new season, will continue with the remaining two later on. So far it looks like a fair representation from the books. It was nice seeing Dorne and Highgarden, at least a representation of it, what had formed in my head was kind of different. Doran also appeared rather well looking for a sick and paralysed prince too.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by sage1000: 12:19am On Apr 13, 2015
Bawss1:
Saw the first two episodes from the new season, will continue with the remaining two later on. So far it looks like a fair representation from the books. It was nice seeing Dorne and Highgarden, at least a representation of it, what had formed in my head was kind of different. Doran also appeared rather well looking for a sick and paralysed prince too.

Not a fair representation There are already divergences. Mance is really dead for one and apparently no Aegon. Dorne looked completely different from my imagination. When was Highgarden shown? The Tyrells where in Kings landing.
Expect some major major divergences in the next two episodes. You can't follow the books from here on.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Bawss1(m): 1:05am On Apr 13, 2015
sage1000:

Not a fair representation There are already divergences. Mance is really dead for one and apparently no Aegon. Dorne looked completely different from my imagination. When was Highgarden shown? The Tyrells where in Kings landing.
Expect some major major divergences in the next two episodes. You can't follow the books from here on.

Pardon me, by fair representation I was referring to the appearance of the settings and characters and not the sequence of the story itself. The House of Black & White, Illyrio Mopatis' villa. Highgarden was not shown, I botched that, my bad.

Yeah we've been forewarned not to expect a faithful enactment of the story itself so I'm ready for that (though not exactly thrilled with the idea).

In all it was nice just getting some sort of images for what one had long since imagined.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 5:19am On Apr 13, 2015
sage1000:

Am enjoying those changes
It would have been incredible boring for me if it was just an exact book translation.
I think Dorne was fairly represented
It looks our I think ancient spain before christianity looks like.
Side question have you read Tigana by GGK ?
The struggle for Tommen is much better than the novel.
Things are moving extremely fast in the north.
And Bronn rocks.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 7:27am On Apr 13, 2015
Just downloading the first episode of the new season. Maybe I'll have something to say after watching.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by zube01(m): 8:52am On Apr 13, 2015
here's a link to download all the game of thrones season 5 episode as they are been released.... http://o2tvseries.com/Game-of-Thrones/Season-05/index.html....just so happy! cheesy
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by sage1000: 12:21am On Apr 14, 2015
SIRcumalot:

Am enjoying those changes
It would have been incredible boring for me if it was just an exact book translation.
I think Dorne was fairly represented
It looks our I think ancient spain before christianity looks like.
Side question have you read Tigana by GGK ?
The struggle for Tommen is much better than the novel.
Things are moving extremely fast in the north.
And Bronn rocks.

Now that I have seen the four episodes I agree with you. The changes are really good. The North's plot make what Jon Snow would do later in the based on the books make more sense although with how off the rails they have gone The nothing is certain. North Remembers better be fucking awesome here.

On the struggle for Tommen, I am wary of the direction this is going and I really hope the things like the walk of shame isn't cut. The High sparrow kind of ruined my theory of Howland Reed being him but one can still hope.

Yeah Bronn is awesome and they nailed Obara.

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 10:54pm On Apr 15, 2015
sage1000:

Now that I have seen the four episodes I agree with you. The changes are really good. The North's plot make what Jon Snow would do later in the based on the books make more sense although with how off the rails they have gone The nothing is certain. North Remembers better be fucking awesome here.

On the struggle for Tommen, I am wary of the direction this is going and I really hope the things like the walk of shame isn't cut. The High sparrow kind of ruined my theory of Howland Reed being him but one can still hope.

Yeah Bronn is awesome and they nailed Obara.
The walk will be their,
The pieces are already their the mysterious soldier Qyburn is working,
Lancel becoming a Zealot.
We even got a glimpse with that high septa.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by kay9(m): 9:19am On Apr 18, 2015
Finally... downloaded and watched episodes 1and 2 yesterday. Not bad at all... and Tyrion continues to impress. smiley First he drinks some wine, throws up the wine, and immediately drinks some more wine again grin

Varys: You can either stay here and drink yourself to death, or you can ride with me to Mereen and meet the mother of dragons...

Tyrion: (drinks some wine) Can I drink myself to death on the road to Mereen? grin

All in all, I think I'm pleased with how the show is proceeding... Diverging more and more from the books, yes - Sansa never met Brienne; Jaime actually despised Bronn; NO ONE has seen Varys since he fled Westeros - but hey, its like a new flavor of your old favorite brew! Me likey.

EDIT: sorry, Varys showed up in DwD, to kill Kevan Lannister if my memory serves me right... Although technically I'm still correct, cos he had to come back to Westeros to do that. wink
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Gbola5(m): 1:20pm On Apr 18, 2015
Who has read TWOIAF, its great. So far i have Theon I, Tyrion I, Barristan I, Arianne I, Mercy, Alayne I, Victarion I of TWOW. Hey does anyone know the theory of Ashford ?
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 11:26pm On Apr 18, 2015
Gbola5:
Who has read TWOIAF, its great. So far i have Theon I, Tyrion I, Barristan I, Arianne I, Mercy, Alayne I, Victarion I of TWOW. Hey does anyone know the theory of Ashford ?

How can I get my hand on it?

Ashford? Wasnt the great tourney that Ser Barristan Selmy got the nickname Barristan the bold held at Ashford Meadows?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (31) (Reply)

Life Of A Broke Naija Graduate ( Short Story) / Wole Soyinka Reacts To Wedding Of His Son, Oretunlewa And Nneka Ekechukwu / Naive ( Novel)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.