Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:50 AM

Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. - Literature (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. (66190 Views)

Bloody theresa (fictional Thriller) / ASOIAF Quotes / Game Of Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by armadeo(m): 5:37pm On Jul 20, 2017
kay9:

You haven't read the mistborn series? Hurry, brother, hurry! cheesy

Was still in my early teens when i heard about Shogun, but I've never gotten around to it. Truth is, late 20's/early 30's is a very hectic time for any young man... But I've paid my dues (wink!), time to dive back into my first love - literary fiction. I'll add Shogun to my reading bucket-list.

I haven't and its next on my list. Dude shogun would leave you stunned. It's a masterpiece. I actually like it better than godfather. Though the other James clavell books don't meet up to shogun.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by BraniacX(m): 11:03am On Jul 23, 2017
armadeo:

I haven't and its next on my list. Dude shogun would leave you stunned. It's a masterpiece. I actually like it better than godfather. Though the other James clavell books don't meet up to shogun.
Oh i luurrrvv tyrion, that sly dwarfstard! You wouldn't believe the coup he's about to pull! grin cersei won't see that coming.............pheeew! Nevermind my ramblings, just thinking aloud cheesy
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by armadeo(m): 3:47pm On Jul 23, 2017
BraniacX:

Oh i luurrrvv tyrion, that sly dwarfstard! You wouldn't believe the coup he's about to pull! grin cersei won't see that coming.............pheeew! Nevermind my ramblings, just thinking aloud cheesy

you are evil grin grin grin grin

guy pls na.

i beg oh
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by BraniacX(m): 4:50pm On Jul 23, 2017
armadeo:

you are evil grin grin grin grin

guy pls na.

i beg oh

What kinda friend would i be if i see you trying to kill yourself and i didn't try to stop you? undecided
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by armadeo(m): 5:27pm On Jul 24, 2017
BraniacX:

What kinda friend would i be if i see you trying to kill yourself and i didn't try to stop you? undecided

Will download episode 2 today and keep. Using billions season 2 for time out. Lol.

Still
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by frankolala: 11:11pm On Jul 24, 2017
jusplex:

please I h@ve been checking for the eBook online but not bin able to get it.I need someone to be kind enough to send me the 5 books.....will really be grateful email: justineobiazi@yahoo.com. thanks
Pls somebody send me these books I need it like kilode
Adenefranklyn@gmail.Com thanks bros dem
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by kay9(m): 12:57pm On Jul 27, 2017
<Book 3: A Storm of Swords:: pg 1006/1062>

And finally this niggling little mystery is explained. Why did Petyr keep on saying that Catelyn gave him her maidenhead? I mean, everybody knows that Littlefinger is the greatest liar in the Seven Kingdoms, but something about the way he kept on telling this particular tale unadulterated to all that cared to listen - Tyrion, Jamie, the Small Council, even Sansa - I just started wondering... And to hear Catelyn tell it, she had never so much as even pecked the heir of "rocks and sheep pellet" on the cheek.

Well, here i finally had my answer: it was Lysa.

"...Edmure got drunk, young as he was… and Petyr tried to kiss [Catelyn], only she pushed him away. She laughed at him. He looked so wounded I thought my heart would burst, and afterward he drank until he passed out at the table. Uncle Brynden carried him up to bed before my father could find him like that...

"That was the night I stole up to his bed to give him comfort. I bled, but it was the sweetest hurt. He told me he loved me then, but he called me Cat, just before he fell back to sleep. Even so, I stayed with him until the sky began to lighten...

It was Lysa "comforting" a drunk young Petyr, giving him her red flower and then slipping away early in the morning... and all through the drunk Petyr thought it was 'Cat'. Back when Hoster Tully was dying and crying "tansy", Catelyn finally figured out the reason behind Lysa's refusal to come see their father but the full story still eluded her: Petyr Baelish had challenged Brandon Stark because he thought it was Catelyn who had slept with him. smiley

It's actually amusing that this once Littlefinger's stories weren't outright lies; he'd just been deceived.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 7:01pm On Jul 27, 2017
kay9:

And finally this niggling little mystery is explained. Why did Petyr keep on saying that Catelyn gave him her maidenhead? I mean, everybody knows that Littlefinger is the greatest liar in the Seven Kingdoms, but something about the way he kept on telling this particular tale unadulterated to all that cared to listen - Tyrion, Jamie, the Small Council, even Sansa - I just started wondering... And to hear Catelyn tell it, she had never so much as even pecked the heir of "rocks and sheep pellet" on the cheek.

It was Lysa "comforting" a drunk young Petyr, giving him her red flower and then slipping away early in the morning... and all through the drunk Petyr thought it was 'Cat'. Back when Hoster Tully was dying and crying "tansy", Catelyn finally figured out the reason behind Lysa's refusal to come see their father but the full story still eluded her: Petyr Baelish had challenged Brandon Stark because he thought it was Catelyn who had slept with him. smiley

It's actually amusing that this once Littlefinger's stories weren't outright lies; he'd just been deceived.

But given the kind of man he later became (the man of secrets and overarching ambition), he ought to have figured it all out. After all, Lysa was always dotting on him while Catelyn had only tolerated him. He wanted to be deceived. How could he not have snapped out of his childhood puppy love for Catelyn after all these years and all the humiliations? After Brandon Stark and the fact that Catelyn didn't even give him her favour?

The fact that he even transferred the thing to Catelyn's daughter, Sansa, shows the man could be a sexual predator.

Lol. Don't mind me. I just don't like the guy. He's the very definition of a snake.

2 Likes

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by BraniacX(m): 7:14pm On Jul 27, 2017
kay9:

wow! shocked
Thanks for the reveals, it is amazing how much we skimp over and fail to notice while reading
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Gbola5(m): 12:02pm On Jul 28, 2017
BraniacX:
wow! shocked
Thanks for the reveals, it is amazing how much we skimp over and fail to notice while reading

No doubt.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by kay9(m): 10:55am On Jul 29, 2017
<Book 4: A Feast for Crows:: pg38/767>

Obara touched her whip. “Thousands are crossing the sands afoot to climb the Boneway, so they may help Ellaria bring my father home. The septs are packed to bursting, and the red priests have lit their temple fires. In the pillow houses women are coupling with every man who comes to them, and refusing any coin. In Sunspear, on the Broken Arm, along the Greenblood, in the mountains, out in the deep sand, everywhere, everywhere, women tear their hair and men cry out in rage. The same question is heard on every tongue—what will Doran do? What will his brother do to avenge our murdered prince?” She moved closer to the captain. “And you say, he does not wish to be disturbed!

“He does not wish to be disturbed,” Areo Hotah said again...

The build-up is so on point. smiley

D & D really did a horrible job in the GoT portrayal of Dorne.

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Billyzone4: 1:15pm On Jul 29, 2017
oluamid:

But given the kind of man he later became (the man of secrets and overarching ambition), he ought to have figured it all out. After all, Lysa was always dotting on him while Catelyn had only tolerated him. He wanted to be deceived. How could he not have snapped out of his childhood puppy love for Catelyn after all these years and all the humiliations? After Brandon Stark and the fact that Catelyn didn't even give him her favour?

The fact that he even transferred the thing to Catelyn's daughter, Sansa, shows the man could be a sexual predator.

Lol. Don't mind me. I just don't like the guy. He's the very definition of a snake.
Pls can you please send all 5 books to billyzone4@gmail.com epub or PDF.
Ps: do they come with illustrations?
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 11:24am On Jul 31, 2017
My observations after re-reading A Games of Thrones prologue:

Steel could actually be used to fight the others but only one with great skill could hope to win such a battle.

I wish I can copy out the exact text, but when Ser Weymar met with the other (in the prologue of A Game of Thrones) he raised up his sword above his head with trembling hands. The Other didn't attack immediately. Rather, its eyes went to the trembling sword and he watched it with rapt attention (Could it be the Other was afraid the sword might actually stand a chance against him? Could he be thinking it was Lightbringer?). When both of them started to "dance", Ser Weymar met the Other's sword many times (with his castle-forged steel sword). In fact, they fought for quite a while ("a flurry of blows"wink. It was not until Ser Weymar was wounded and grew tired that his sword shattered on impact.

Does this mean steel could actually be used against the others but would require someone with great skill as to be able to win the fight without needing armour? Just thinking.

Can a Ser Barristan Selmy, a Jaime Lannister, A Brienne of Tarth, or an Oberyn Martell be able to withstand a fight with an Other using a steel sword? Would Jon Snow?
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 11:26am On Jul 31, 2017
Billyzone4:

Pls can you please send all 5 books to billyzone4@gmail.com epub or PDF.
Ps: do they come with illustrations?

If you are on bbm drop you pin and I'd transfer the files to you. It's too big to transfer via email.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Billyzone4: 2:06pm On Jul 31, 2017
oluamid:

If you are on bbm drop you pin and I'd transfer the files to you. It's too big to transfer via email.
I don't . One thing though, does the books contain the sex scenes as the tv show
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by kay9(m): 4:36pm On Aug 01, 2017
<Book 4: A Feast for Crows::

pg96/767
The captain had given her passage but he had no time to speak with her. Some of the crew shunned her, but others gave her gifts—a silver fork, fingerless gloves, a floppy woolen hat patched with leather. One man showed her how to tie sailor’s knots. Another poured her thimble cups of fire wine. The friendly ones would tap their chests, repeating their names over and over until Arya said them back, though none ever thought to ask her name. They called her Salty, since she’d come aboard at Saltpans, near the mouth of the Trident. It was as good a name as any, she supposed...

pg101/767
“Our voyage is at an end,” [The captain] told Arya... “Valar dohaeris.” He touched two fingers to his brow. “I beg you remember Ternesio Terys and the service he has done you.”
“I will,” Arya said in a small voice. The wind tugged at her cloak, insistent as a ghost. It was time she was away.

The crew of Titan's Daughter clearly wanted Arya to remember their names - and they never asked for hers. They thought she was a Faceless Man... implying that only Faceless Men carry the coin Jaqen had given her.

So... was Jaqen out to recruit Arya right from the start? Or was it all a chance meeting?
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by armadeo(m): 5:38pm On Aug 01, 2017
Braniacx.

Ep3 and still going strong.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Obinnau(m): 8:25pm On Aug 01, 2017
kay9:

pg96/767

pg101/767

The crew of Titan's Daughter clearly wanted Arya to remember their names - and they never asked for hers. They thought she was a Faceless Man... implying that only Faceless Men carry the coin Jaqen had given her.

So... was Jaqen out to recruit Arya right from the start? Or was it all a chance meeting?
Their's was a chance meeting. Remember where Yoren picked him, from the jails of King's landing.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by kay9(m): 11:35am On Aug 02, 2017
oluamid:
My observations after re-reading A Games of Thrones prologue:

Steel could actually be used to fight the others but only one with great skill could hope to win such a battle.

I wish I can copy out the exact text, but when Ser Weymar met with the other (in the prologue of A Game of Thrones) he raised up his sword above his head with trembling hands. The Other didn't attack immediately. Rather, its eyes went to the trembling sword and he watched it with rapt attention (Could it be the Other was afraid the sword might actually stand a chance against him? Could he be thinking it was Lightbringer?). When both of them started to "dance", Ser Weymar met the Other's sword many times (with his castle-forged steel sword). In fact, they fought for quite a while ("a flurry of blows"wink. It was not until Ser Weymar was wounded and grew tired that his sword shattered on impact.

Does this mean steel could actually be used against the others but would require someone with great skill as to be able to win the fight without needing armour? Just thinking.

Can a Ser Barristan Selmy, a Jaime Lannister, A Brienne of Tarth, or an Oberyn Martell be able to withstand a fight with an Other using a steel sword? Would Jon Snow?

Can't believe I missed this post earlier...

I also observed same when I began my re-reads, especially that "flurry of blows" bit implying that they fought for quite a while. But the White Walker said something in a strange language - Wymar had been wounded by then - and when next their blades met, Wymar's longsword shattered. This made me think the shattering of the steel had some WW magic causing it. I mean, the WW did say something... If this is true, then it probably has little to do with skill.

But of course much later in Book3 ASOS, Samwell Tarly observes that the WW bring a cold "...so cold that it shatters steel". So its probably just the cold. But what a cold!
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by BraniacX(m): 1:04pm On Aug 02, 2017
kay9:

pg96/767

pg101/767

Will getting caught and imprisoned then transferred by the gold cloaks to the nights watch constitute a viable plan if it isn't known that they can actually see into the future?
I would disagree that recruiting arya was jaqen's mission but rather arya looked too good a potential recruit to let go of
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by BraniacX(m): 1:09pm On Aug 02, 2017
kay9:

I also observed same when I began my re-reads, especially that "flurry of blows" bit implying that they fought for quite a while. But the White Walker said something in a strange language - Wymar had been wounded by then - and when next their blades met, Wymar's longsword shattered. This made me think the shattering of the steel had some WW magic causing it. I mean, the WW did say something... If this is true, then it probably has little to do with skill.

But of course much later in Book3 ASOS, Samwell Tarly observes that the WW bring a cold "...so cold that it shatters steel". So its probably just the cold. But what a cold!
By the rules of physics any drop in temperature low enough to make steel brittle and shatter would have long before then frozen and shattered a biological entity such as man! So it is magic that shattered the steel! But as for the flurry of blows exchanged, i think the WW was just toying with weymar royce

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 2:42pm On Aug 02, 2017
Billyzone4:
I don't . One thing though, does the books contain the sex scenes as the tv show

There are some but depending on your imagination (lol) you may not find it as vivid as in the show.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 2:49pm On Aug 02, 2017
kay9:

The White Walker only spoke up when Ser Weymar did not parry a blow and his weapon( WW's) pierced the knights armour like it was mere silk rather than a metal plate. Will (the POV character hiding on the tree) noted that the sound the WW made sounded like it was mocking the knight's realisation of the situation. I doubt if it was any magical doing.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by odysey: 8:54am On Aug 06, 2017
oluamid:

got tired of waiting 4 bk6 decided to reread the books..... y did he name Tyrion as d owner of the dagger?
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by odysey: 8:57am On Aug 06, 2017
oluamid:

got tired of waiting 4 bk6 decided to reread the books..... y did he name Tyrion as d owner of the dagger? I know he plays d long game even predict events yet he was surprised as things happened faster than he thought
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 9:01am On Aug 06, 2017
odysey:

got tired of waiting 4 bk6 decided to reread the books..... y did he name Tyrion as d owner of the dagger?

Lol. No mind GGRM. But you are in good company as I'm also doing the same thing. Reason he named Tyrion was to provoke a war since he's aware of the Stark's distrust of Lannisters. Tyrion was also the most likely candidate as most people see him as devious because of his dwarfism. Besides, Littlefinger knew only the Starks and the Lannisters can create the kind of chaos in the realm that will enable him climb the ladder to attain the Iron Throne.

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by odysey: 9:05am On Aug 06, 2017
BraniacX:

By the rules of physics any drop in temperature low enough to make steel brittle and shatter would have long before then frozen and shattered a biological entity such as man! So it is magic that shattered the steel! But as for the flurry of blows exchanged, i think the WW was just toying with weymar royce

the sword used by the Ww was peculiar magical, having made contact severally with steel.....
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by odysey: 9:10am On Aug 06, 2017
oluamid:

Lol. No mind GGRM. But you are in good company as I'm also doing the same thing. Reason he named Tyrion was to provoke a war since he's aware of the Stark's distrust of Lannisters. Tyrion was also the most likely candidate as most people see him as devious because of his dwarfism. Besides, Littlefinger knew only the Starks and the Lannisters can create the kind of chaos in the realm that will enable him climb the ladder to attain the Iron Throne.

not a bad theory.... "king of the ashes" lol

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by odysey: 9:11am On Aug 06, 2017
oluamid:

The White Walker only spoke up when Ser Weymar did not parry a blow and his weapon( WW's) pierced the knights armour like it was mere silk rather than a metal plate. Will (the POV character hiding on the tree) noted that the sound the WW made sounded like it was mocking the knight's realisation of the situation. I doubt if it was any magical doing.

magical sword
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by BraniacX(m): 10:05am On Aug 06, 2017
odysey:

magical sword
by magical beings

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Nobody: 10:26am On Aug 06, 2017
How can I get the book, please?

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (Reply)

Life Of A Broke Naija Graduate ( Short Story) / Wole Soyinka Reacts To Wedding Of His Son, Oretunlewa And Nneka Ekechukwu / Naive ( Novel)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.