Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,628 members, 7,801,817 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:24 AM

Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. (22676 Views)

Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed / Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. / Immigrating (relocating From Nigeria To U.S.A: Whats The Procedure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by phuckNL: 10:01pm On Dec 10, 2013
Naijamericana:

Starting compensation for new anesthesiologist graduate - $250,000 - $300,000
Highest compensation that I know of - $5,000,000.00 (5 million)

Kindly subtract the average student loan of 300, 000 or more from the starting salary of the fresh graduates too.
I think its the net income that matters. The first few years, you're still servicing your loan.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Nobody: 11:12pm On Dec 10, 2013
Naijamericana:

Board Certified Anesthesiologist with 7 years of private practice experience...Bros

Really? That's nice but could you please list your titles in ascending order.

Thanks
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Naijamericana: 11:14pm On Dec 10, 2013
phuck_NL:

Kindly subtract the average student loan of 300, 000 or more from the starting salary of the fresh graduates too.
I think its the net income that matters. The first few years, you're still servicing your loan.

My state college loans debt - $10,000
Medical School Debt - $100,000

Still worth it in the end
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Okanlawonkokol(f): 1:39am On Dec 11, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

so pretty much Nigeria is in bad shape and no one should move there?
we wey dey there nko.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Okanlawonkokol(f): 1:40am On Dec 11, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

charity begins at home? am not interested in charity am only interested in making money my friend.
stay for US make u dey make money.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Okanlawonkokol(f): 1:41am On Dec 11, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

yes you are right...life is just too precious to be spent in Nigeria.
u never ready to come sef.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Okanlawonkokol(f): 1:45am On Dec 11, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

I know plenty about Nigeria my friend.
y r u seeking for advice.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Naijamericana: 1:57am On Dec 11, 2013
rudedough:

Thanks

Titles? Not sure what you mean...I just have one title...M.D.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Naijamericana: 2:11am On Dec 11, 2013
Mr Knowitall,

I am not sure if NL is the correct forum to get advice on whether to make a life changing move to Naija. You probably have to do your own independent research and make up your mind. If you have not visited Naija recently then maybe a few visits are in order. I just had dinner at Buka restaurant on Fulton Street in Brooklyn and there was a fellow Nigerian sitting at the bar. After the usual small talk about family origin in Naija I asked "would you ever relocate back to Naija?" His response was "If the right opportunity presented itself."

Everyone has a reason for moving back. As for me it would be to start a medical supply company. It would be tough to move back if you dont have a plan. Do you intend to start a business? If so, is there a market for it? If you are certain about this venture, have you actually done primary and secondary research on your business plan? Or, are you going to seek employment? Remember Naija has a mono-economy, upstream oil and gas production. What skills do you possess?

2 Likes

Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by kidike(m): 4:08am On Dec 11, 2013
Op i really do not comment much on here but this one caught my attention because I am also thinking about relocating. However I must say that some of your comments are a bit ignorant. So are your responses to some questions. When you say something like life is too precious to be spent in Nigeria...what is that supposed to mean precisely?

The true question is are you really tryng to relocate or just started this thread to stir up issues. The reason i say that is you should think about some of your comments before puttng them in print. Some of them are just downright offensive. PM me and i will be more than happy to further discuss over the phone. I live in a suburb of chicago , il. Thanks
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by MrKnowitall: 4:31am On Dec 11, 2013
kidike: Op i really do not comment much on here but this one caught my attention because I am also thinking about relocating. However I must say that some of your comments are a bit ignorant. So are your responses to some questions. When you say something like life is too precious to be spent in Nigeria...what is that supposed to mean precisely?

The true question is are you really tryng to relocate or just started this thread to stir up issues. The reason i say that is you should think about some of your comments before puttng them in print. Some of them are just downright offensive. PM me and i will be more than happy to further discuss over the phone. I live in a suburb of chicago , il. Thanks

Some of my comments are offensive? which ones?
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Allohrandy(m): 4:52am On Dec 11, 2013
Naijamericana:

YES. It is worth it but getting admission into medical school is very competitive. The acceptance rate for most top tier medical school is like 3%. you need a stellar GPA of 3.8-4 point to even consider applying and a good recommendation. Health care sector is like a good mine and you are guarantee a good salary after medical school.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Nobody: 9:15am On Dec 11, 2013
Naijamericana: Starting compensation for new anesthesiologist graduate - $250,000 - $300,000
Highest compensation that I know of - $5,000,000.00 (5 million)

rudedough:

Thanks

Naijamericana:

Titles? Not sure what you mean...I just have one title...M.D.

You know i hate liars.

I'm a medical practitioner and my titles are (MBChB, ~MPharm). Every medical student must know this.

An M.D is a Doctorate degree in Medicine (PhD) and there's no way you can achieve that title without earning these first (MBBS, MS, MCh before M.D)

So please tell us again, what do you do for a living?
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Naijamericana: 11:18am On Dec 11, 2013
Allohrandy: YES. It is worth it but getting admission into medical school is very competitive. The acceptance rate for most top tier medical school is like 3%. you need a stellar GPA of 3.8-4 point to even consider applying and a good recommendation. Health care sector is like a good mine and you are guarantee a good salary after medical school.

Yes, it is tough and when you finish training ndi oyinbo will not trust you to be a good doctor. You have to show them you are just as good. Countless times without number, I have had to show them how to manage difficult situations.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Naijamericana: 11:32am On Dec 11, 2013
rudedough:

You know i hate liars.

I'm a medical practitioner and my titles are (MBChB, ~MPharm). Every medical student must know this.

An M.D is a Doctorate degree in Medicine (PhD) and there's no way you can achieve that title without earning these first (MBBS, MS, MCh before M.D)

So please tell us again, what do you do for a living?

BS (Bachelor of Science Biology)
MD (Doctorate in Medicine)
Diplomate American Board of Anesthesiology
Subspecialty Certification in Interventional Pain Management

Go to www.gaswork.com. Its an online job site for American anesthesia graduates and job seekers. They list job descriptions with salaries. Sounds like you where trained in a British system.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Nobody: 12:11pm On Dec 11, 2013
Naijamericana:

BS (Bachelor of Science Biology)
MD (Doctorate in Medicine)
Diplomate American Board of Anesthesiology
Subspecialty Certification in Interventional Pain Management

Go to www.gaswork.com. Its an online job site for American anesthesia graduates and job seekers. They list job descriptions with salaries. Sounds like you where trained in a British system.

Please stop embarrassing yourself on the internet. When i asked for your titles to earn $500,000/yr, you said and i quote.

Naijamericana: Titles? Not sure what you mean...I just have one title...M.D.

A PhD holder in Medicine don't know what titles mean in his field. Later you said "I just have one title...M.D". That was very stu.pid bro.

Now you have a "BS (Bachelor of Science Biology)" Are you serious? Are you sure you attended college? Cos as far as i know there is nothing like a "Bachelor of Science Biology" you can either have a Bachelor of Science or a "Bachelor of Science" with a major in Biology, i haven't seen or heard of any degree called "Bachelor of Science Biology".

Dude you really need to get yourself a life before you regret it on your deathbed.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Naijamericana: 12:37pm On Dec 11, 2013
rudedough:

Please stop embarrassing yourself on the internet. When i asked for your titles to earn $500,000/yr, you said and i quote.

A PhD holder in Medicine don't know what titles mean in his field. Later you said "I just have one title...M.D". That was very stu.pid bro.

Now you have a "BS (Bachelor of Science Biology)" Are you serious? Are you sure you attended college? Cos as far as i know there is nothing like a "Bachelor of Science Biology" you can either have a Bachelor of Science or a "Bachelor of Science" with a major in Biology, i haven't seen or heard of any degree called "Bachelor of Science Biology".

Dude you really need to get yourself a life before you regretI got your email. I will call you next week to discuss the next steps. it on your deathbed.

Bro, you really are funny. Well I will not argue with you. I am not sure how its dine in Naija or UK but you obviously dont know the difference between a PhD and MD in America. What the hell is an MBBS anyway?

All your degrees will not allow you to practice in America, so stay where you are!

Funny guy...you should be on TV...bad belle is a disease...get it checked out!
cheesy
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Nobody: 12:46pm On Dec 11, 2013
Naijamericana:

Bro, you really are funny. Well I will not argue with you. I am not sure how its dine in Naija or UK but you obviously dont know the difference between a PhD and MD in America. What the hell is an MBBS anyway?

All your degrees will not allow you to practice in America, so stay where you are!

Funny guy...you should be on TV...bad belle is a disease...get it checked out!
cheesy

I'm going to stop this argument, it's not worth my time. But again you've contradicted yourself.

M.D - Doctor of Medicine which is a PhD degree.

MBBS/MBChB - Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery.

Just look at who has an M.D degree does not know that an M.D is a Doctorate degree? A SUPER-Specialty Degree.

Goodluck with your M.D degree and your $500,000/yr salary in the USA. cheesy cheesy
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by niceeric(m): 1:04pm On Dec 11, 2013
rudedough:

I'm going to stop this argument, it's not worth my time. But again you've contradicted yourself.

Just look at who has an M.D degree does not know that an M.D is a Doctorate degree? A SUPER-Specialty Degree.

Goodluck with your M.D degree and your $500,000/yr salary in the USA. cheesy cheesy
I'm an Engineer o so I May not know much about this but dont u think he's probably right?since d British medical syllabus is very very diffent from d American Medical course system..for example my cousin had to get a Bsc in Biochemistry before she could study medicine in d US and another friend was told he couldn't practise in d US despite having a Medical Degree from Nigeria...it makes us see they are just two courses with same name but practiced differently in some countries
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Naijamericana: 1:24pm On Dec 11, 2013
niceeric:
I'm an Engineer o so I May not know much about this but dont u think he's probably right?since d British medical syllabus is very very diffent from d American Medical course system..for example my cousin had to get a Bsc in Biochemistry before she could study medicine in d US and another friend was told he couldn't practise in d US despite having a Medical Degree from Nigeria...it makes us see they are just two courses with same name but practiced differently in some countries

He is all caught up on the compensation I quoted. He should go to the website I told him to check out, to see what I am saying in black and white instead of getting high blood pressure.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by nairaner(m): 1:30pm On Dec 11, 2013
myOGAonTOP: Before you come back FINALLY, i will advise you to take a month off and enter into the country. Keep a low profile and make your own deductions and conclusions. Moving back is such an important lifetime decision that MUST NOT be made based on hearsay. Come See for yourself . Thanks.
^
^
This is the BEST advice I have seen on here for you. Just follow this advice and will not have any regrets after you FINALLY get back then begin to have a few of the usual challenges.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 11, 2013
niceeric:

[b]I don't want to argue with him anymore but since this is coming from someone else, I will clarify. This has nothing to do with degrees, he simply doesn't know the basics of a medical career/qualifications and that puts him under my radar.

I was impressed when he said he earns $500,000/yr as an Anesthesiology, but i wanted to be sure so i asked his 'titles in ascending order'. But he said 'he doesn't know what that means', but he has 'only one title M.D'.

Please note that an M.D is a Super-Specialty degree in Medicine and it's the same both in the US and the UK. You can google that up cos i just checked.

Now before you earn that degree in any Medical field, you must have acquired at least 2 other titles, which in his field is likely to be (MBBS, MCh, before D.O (Optional), M.D and if he chooses to go further he can get a DM). These titles are the same with the US accredited medical professional titles.

In his previous text, he got confused between an M.D and a PhD. He said "you obviously dont know the difference between a PhD and MD in America".

An M.D is a PhD degree. So how can someone who has an M.D not know that he acquired an M.D after his Doctorate degree? undecided

Look at the facts yourself, i don't know what Engineers get for their specialty courses but a PhD holder in Engineering not knowing that he got his PhD after his Doctoral program is an embarrassment.
[/b]
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Naijamericana: 1:48pm On Dec 11, 2013
Na wa o...well we can agree to disagree. On to the next topic.
wink
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Naijamericana: 1:53pm On Dec 11, 2013
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by phuckNL: 2:46pm On Dec 11, 2013
Naijamericana:

The average debt is a lot higher than that (300k or more). I know it's worth it, i'm just saying that we shouldn't omit the fact that the first few years are used in paying off debt.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by phuckNL: 2:53pm On Dec 11, 2013
rudedough:

[b]I don't want to argue with him anymore but since this is coming from someone else, I will clarify. This has nothing to do with degrees, he simply doesn't know the basics of a medical career/qualifications and that puts him under my radar.

I was impressed when he said he earns $500,000/yr as an Anesthesiology, but i wanted to be sure so i asked his 'titles in ascending order'. But he said 'he doesn't know what that means', but he has 'only one title M.D'.

Please note that an M.D is a Super-Specialty degree in Medicine and it's the same both in the US and the UK. You can google that up cos i just checked.

Now before you earn that degree in any Medical field, you must have acquired at least 2 other titles, which in his field is likely to be (MBBS, MCh, before D.O (Optional), M.D and if he chooses to go further he can get a DM). These titles are the same with the US accredited medical professional titles.

In his previous text, he got confused between an M.D and a PhD. He said "you obviously dont know the difference between a PhD and MD in America".

An M.D is a PhD degree. So how can someone who has an M.D not know that he acquired an M.D after his Doctorate degree? undecided

Look at the facts yourself, i don't know what Engineers get for their specialty courses but a PhD holder in Engineering not knowing that he got his PhD after his Doctoral program is an embarrassment.
[/b]

Don't see why you are arguing. He said he is a Doctor. If he's lieing then that's his problem. I do not see the big deal there.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Naijamericana: 3:20pm On Dec 11, 2013
phuck_NL:

The average debt is a lot higher than that (300k or more). I know it's worth it, i'm just saying that we shouldn't omit the fact that the first few years are used in paying off debt.

True...I have friends with higher levels of debt. Like the op I have investigated on relocating back to Naija myself, you know to give back a little. Who knows what's going to happen with obamacare. There's a surgery center in VI that I may want to work with, here is the link

http://www.cassurgery.com/official/
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by phuckNL: 3:36pm On Dec 11, 2013
Naijamericana:

True...I have friends with higher levels of debt. Like the op I have investigated on relocating back to Naija myself, you know to give back a little. Who knows what's going to happen with obamacare. There's a surgery center in VI that I may want to work with, here is the link

Yea. Anyway, with regards to the topic.; If you want to go to Nigeria, the only way is to go for a test run and see how it is. No amount of advice or encouragement will help. If you get to naija and feel like you want to jump on that wagon, come back to the US, pack your load and go home.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Nobody: 4:05pm On Dec 11, 2013
Naijamericana:

So you want to leave your 500,000 grand a yr job in the US, to go and be practicing medicine in Nigeria?
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by Naijamericana: 5:54pm On Dec 11, 2013
femmyb: So you want to leave your 500,000 grand a yr job in the US, to go and be practicing medicine in Nigeria?

Looking for a challenge, and never really feel like you belong no matter your level of accomplishment. It's an idea, but I am not sure if my sub-specialty exists in Naija though.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by kidike(m): 6:00pm On Dec 11, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

Some of my comments are offensive? which ones?

The one i mentioned in my comment. Stating that life is too precious to the spent in nigeria.
Re: Relocating From The United States Back To Nigeria: Advice Needed. by hopful: 3:50am On Dec 12, 2013
rudedough:

I don't comment frequently here, but i have to do so after seeing this level of ignorance on display.
This MD is an anesthesiologist with 7 yrs experience. Do you know what that means?? He has gone through a rigorous period of medical education before this level, he deserves some respect.
MD here in the US is what we call MBBS or MBChB in Nigeria. You however need to do some exams before you can practice in US, Each country has her own conversion exams for foreign trained individuals even nigeria.
PhD is different from MD. Some doctors with MD even go for their PhD in addition either separately as MD, Phd or combined as MD/PhD.

Some doctors here in the US make more than 500k especially with more years of experience and more lucrative specialties like orthopedics, int. Cardiology, neurosurgery, etc

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Speaks Out Against Alleged Racism In Europe (video) / Breaking News No More Visa Lottery 4 Nigeria! / Passport: Immigration, NIMC Extort Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.