Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,775 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:43 PM

Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians (39575 Views)

40 Profitable Small Businesses In Nigeria Today / List OF 40 Profitable Small Scale Businesses In Nigeria You Can Start / 5 Profitable Small Business Ideas In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Nobody: 8:43am On Dec 15, 2013
It is threads like this that pop up every now and here that has endeared me to nairaland. Keep up the good job op and God bless.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by djSkukie(m): 8:58am On Dec 15, 2013
I dey here dey observe koz I'm interested
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by mrmesh: 9:22am On Dec 15, 2013
Aiit strictly following dis trend...see u 2mao
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by bijouxcutey(f): 9:39am On Dec 15, 2013
Its definitely going to be a good year,by the Grace of God!
Thanks so much for the piece of information. Its sure an eye opener. I am closely following. Waiting to hear the other business ideas. Thanks so much.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by FirstPrinciple(m): 10:26am On Dec 15, 2013
wonderful thread
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Chucks234: 10:55am On Dec 15, 2013
I have never commented on nairaland b4.bt this thread is the most educative n informative I hv ever come across(my opinion).My broda tnx for this thread.God bless ur hustle.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by bluerange(f): 11:07am On Dec 15, 2013
Currently in Nairobi, l will certainly drop by at Ecopost & see how they are recycling plastic to fencing post. It seems Kenya is more waste to wealth conscious than Nigeria, visited a centre here & was wowed how they turned waste to cooking gas!
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by bluerange(f): 11:18am On Dec 15, 2013
How waste from one cow or buckets of chopped water hycinth (which is a menace to those living in riverine areas of Nigeria) is with a simple technology converted to biogas for cooking and powering generator for electricity needs.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Nobody: 11:19am On Dec 15, 2013
Tolite22:

Thanks Smithsammy for your kind feedback. Your banana production idea is a good one. I'll just outline my opinions about the business below:

Upsides
- Bananas have the amazing ability to grow all year round. There's no definite banana 'growing season'.
- Bananas replace themselves. You only plant the suckers once and they multiply naturally thereafter.
- Steady market: bananas are always in high demand all year round in Nigeria.
- Short maturity period. Bananas take between 9 to 12 months from planting to maturity.

Downsides
- The export potential of bananas from Nigeria is limited due to strict international rules around packaging, storage, transportation etc.
- Banana cultivation is usually labour intensive. The trees need to be supported so they don't fall under the weight of the fruits.
- Ripe bananas have a short shelf life and many of it may not make it to market due to poor storage, transport etc.

These are just my balanced opinions about the banana business. I hope you find them useful. Suggestions are welcome from other readers. cool

This is a feasible business idea that when properly idealized, it will earn you good return and possible grants from big investment organization.

The only problem i see with this idea is the nature of the produce. Here is a common local adage that explains it all

" banana dey spoil, u say e dey ripe". If you understand this adage then you would wanna consider another taught about banana business. One cant really tell if a banana is getting ripe or it is getting rotten. So at the end you might or might not be lucky selling them. Here is an example, u grow banana in benin city for example and ur plan is to transport it for sale in lagos. It basically takes about 3-4 hours to arrive lagos. Depending on the weather, automobile and the nature of that particular banana, a little heat from the vehicle could ripen the banana before it arrives at its final destination. Then it take another 2-3 days to finally distribute it to banana retailers who based on experience have learnt not to buy a ripe/spoilt banana. So u might end up not selling the banana.

For me, i would want to study it from the wholesaler, export perspective. The major problem with agro export in nigeria is its time. With every time that passes by, the agric product losses its quality. This quality is what the europeans and americans dont play with.the only agric product that increases in value with time is beverage/alcohol products. The older the wine, the higher the price. But since nigeria is not a wine country. You might want to consider half processing your agric product before distribution. Here are your target idea market

Beverage juice/drink manufacturers
Beverage drink export.

Which ever case u choose, you will have huge target market making it possible to sell off your produce instantly. I will explain

Beverage manufacturers usually dont grow their own fruit product. They simply buy fruit extracts(half processed fruit product) from you and then multiply it by and more liquid in the right proportion before bottling them in little containers for sale.

So rather than growing your own banana/orange/mango agro product. Why not be a producer. You simple buy from the existing farmers, extract the juice, mix it with preservatives( last longer) then gallon it in 20litre gallons and sell it to the juice manufacturers who are either foreign or local(dangote).

There is a high demand of 100% quality juice this days.

Note:
fruit extracting machines can be produced locally.
Half produced fruit product with preservatives no longer need refregration. So u wont have to worry about Nepa.
There are thousand of farmers, so ur suppliers are stable
There a many juice producer locally and intl so u dont need to worry about selling.

Its a very big marget but requires only a few startup capital

Thats my opinion. Feel free to make critical judgement

2 Likes

Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by komek(m): 11:35am On Dec 15, 2013
Will be back to read this topic . Seems to be interesting one.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by nakoks(m): 12:18pm On Dec 15, 2013
Opiosko: Calm down kid, no everyone wants to go into small business .
I shake my head for people like you.Not every1 wants to go into small biz but they want to sit at home idle waiting for a white collar job or better dream of starting a mega biz with non existent fund.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Tolite22(m): 1:36pm On Dec 15, 2013
mrnestyy1985:

This is a feasible business idea that when properly idealized, it will earn you good return and possible grants from big investment organization.

The only problem i see with this idea is the nature of the produce. Here is a common local adage that explains it all

" banana dey spoil, u say e dey ripe". If you understand this adage then you would wanna consider another taught about banana business. One cant really tell if a banana is getting ripe or it is getting rotten. So at the end you might or might not be lucky selling them. Here is an example, u grow banana in benin city for example and ur plan is to transport it for sale in lagos. It basically takes about 3-4 hours to arrive lagos. Depending on the weather, automobile and the nature of that particular banana, a little heat from the vehicle could ripen the banana before it arrives at its final destination. Then it take another 2-3 days to finally distribute it to banana retailers who based on experience have learnt not to buy a ripe/spoilt banana. So u might end up not selling the banana.

For me, i would want to study it from the wholesaler, export perspective. The major problem with agro export in nigeria is its time. With every time that passes by, the agric product losses its quality. This quality is what the europeans and americans dont play with.the only agric product that increases in value with time is beverage/alcohol products. The older the wine, the higher the price. But since nigeria is not a wine country. You might want to consider half processing your agric product before distribution. Here are your target idea market

Beverage juice/drink manufacturers
Beverage drink export.

Which ever case u choose, you will have huge target market making it possible to sell off your produce instantly. I will explain

Beverage manufacturers usually dont grow their own fruit product. They simply buy fruit extracts(half processed fruit product) from you and then multiply it by and more liquid in the right proportion before bottling them in little containers for sale.

So rather than growing your own banana/orange/mango agro product. Why not be a producer. You simple buy from the existing farmers, extract the juice, mix it with preservatives( last longer) then gallon it in 20litre gallons and sell it to the juice manufacturers who are either foreign or local(dangote).

There is a high demand of 100% quality juice this days.

Note:
fruit extracting machines can be produced locally.
Half produced fruit product with preservatives no longer need refregration. So u wont have to worry about Nepa.
There are thousand of farmers, so ur suppliers are stable
There a many juice producer locally and intl so u dont need to worry about selling.

Its a very big marget but requires only a few startup capital

Thats my opinion. Feel free to make critical judgement

Mr. Nesty,

Thank you for the very interesting points you have raised here about fruit farming for juice production. You are totally on point. Nigeria loses out of the billion dollar fruit export market every year despite our strong advantage in producing tropical fruits . Countries like Togo, Benin Republic, Kenya and South Africa make significant foreign exchange from fruit exports every year.

Let's even forget about fruit exports from Nigeria for now. There's a lot of local demand for fruits in this country; both for direct consumption and conversion to juice extracts. Every time I buy two small oranges for N50 in Lagos, I am reminded of how much opportunity we must be missing. I strongly recommend that you read the article whose link I have shared below. In the article, you will see how small fruit businesses in Sierra Leone, Ghana and Uganda are making money from mangoes, pineapples and banana. As a result, hundreds of ordinary people are now making money from fruits that would have rotted away.

The article:
Tropical fruits – Africa’s real diamonds are not hidden in the ground; they’re hanging in the trees! http://www.smallstarter.com/browse-ideas/agribusiness-and-food/how-to-start-a-fruit-farming-and-export-business-in-africa

Any thoughts?
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Tolite22(m): 1:49pm On Dec 15, 2013
bluerange: How waste from one cow or buckets of chopped water hycinth (which is a menace to those living in riverine areas of Nigeria) is with a simple technology converted to biogas for cooking and powering generator for electricity needs.

bluerange: Currently in Nairobi, l will certainly drop by at Ecopost & see how they are recycling plastic to fencing post. It seems Kenya is more waste to wealth conscious than Nigeria, visited a centre here & was wowed how they turned waste to cooking gas!

Very correct Bluerange! When it comes to eco-friendly solutions and recycling, Nigeria is way behind the rest of the continent. In the area of waste recycling and producing sustainable energy (such as solar and biogas), I think Nigeria behaves like a spoiled child because of our crude oil wealth.

I trust that you will share your knowledge and insights after your visit to Ecopost. I am sure you will find very interesting ideas you can apply back home to birth profitable businesses. Thanks again for sharing!
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by nigazman(m): 2:01pm On Dec 15, 2013
Wow.. this is quite interesting. Am just gona wait for d rest of d ideas.. Then I will knw which to consider
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Tolite22(m): 2:03pm On Dec 15, 2013
groovie:
hahaha! team resigning by jan. the job dey frustrate me die

dvdami:
Seems we are in d same ship. Also resigning frm ds silly job by Jan. Can we share some thoughts together? I hav sent u a PM.

If success in business is guaranteed, I am very sure more people would quit their day jobs to start their own business. The reason a lot of people are afraid to start their dream business is because of the risk involved. Unlike your weekly/monthly salary which is sure, making money from a business is not always guaranteed.

If you would like to start up a business while maintaining your day job until you are confident enough to resign/quit, there's a workable plan. Some people would like to be sure first before leaving their jobs to focus on their business. I totally understand; it's not cowardice, it's called risk management. grin

If you would like to have your cake and eat it (that is, start a business while remaining an employee), I have just the right article to recommend to you. Take your time to read and digest it and let me know if you still think this is a good time to resign/quit from your current day job.

The article:

How to Have Your Cake and Eat It! Five Businesses You Can Start and Still Keep Your Day Job http://www.smallstarter.com/know-the-basics/start-your-business/how-to-start-a-business-and-still-keep-your-day-job

I hope you find the answers you're looking for... wink

1 Like

Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by GentleFrank(m): 4:50pm On Dec 15, 2013
Good !
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Joshy4yu: 6:02pm On Dec 15, 2013
@ tolite 22.........dats a very nice one frm u,keep it up! and God bless u!
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Emmanuel602(m): 6:15pm On Dec 15, 2013
following
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by c5zar: 6:53pm On Dec 15, 2013
Tolite22: DAY 4

Small Business Idea #4 - Waste

When I started this thread a couple of days ago, I told you that some of the best and most promising business ideas in Nigeria are right under our noses and are too often taken for granted. Waste is one of the under-explored opportunities in our country. We are very good at producing tons of waste everyday but just a few smart entrepreneurs are exploiting the remarkable potentials of the waste business. To you, it's just shit. To these entrepreneurs, it's a load of 1,000 Naira bills.

There a two main ways to make money in the waste business and we'll touch on each of them a bit. They are waste collection and waste recycling.

Waste collection
We have a terrible habit of disposing waste improperly in this country. Whether it's the waste we carry in our bellies, empty 'pure' water sachets and bottles or the kitchen waste that fills up our garbage bins, poor disposal of waste is a huge problem for our personal health and the beauty of our physical environment. This is where the waste collection opportunity comes in. State governments and private businesses are now in the business of getting paid for collecting waste from our homes, markets and offices. It's an opportunity that is still in its infancy but is sure to grow into a billion naira industry given the tons of waste produced across Nigeria everyday.

The waste collection success story I would like to share today is Nigeria's own DMT Mobile Toilets. If you live in Lagos, it's very likely that you would have seen their trademark mobile toilets that look like telephone booths in motor parks, recreation spots and other public places. The business also provides VIP mobile toilets for events (weddings, parties and other outdoor events). With millions of 'well-fed' Nigerians roaming the streets of Lagos everyday, business is looking good for this business which sells each of its mobile units for N150,000 and above. And every where I look, DMT's business is definitely booming. Nobody else could have put it better than the late founder of this business (Otunba Gaddafi) who says 'Shit Business in Nigeria is serious business'. I strongly agree with him; the facts speak for themselves!

To inspire yourself with the full and amazing success story of DMT Mobile Toilets, you should read the following article:
Shit business is serious business’ – an amazing mobile toilet success story from Lagos, Nigeria http://www.smallstarter.com/get-inspired/dignified-mobile-toilets-lagos

Waste recycling.
Fast depleting natural and mineral resources around the world and a growing consciousness to save the climate and our environment are some of the strong factors behind the growing trend of recycling more of the waste that we produce. Metal, plastic, paper and even human waste (which is converted to compost and biogas) are increasingly recycled and reused. This is already an established practice in the developed world but is just catching on in developing countries like Nigeria.

My favourite example of a successful recycling business was founded by Lorna Rutto, a 27-year old Kenyan lady who quit her banking job to start a plastic waste recycling business. Her company, Ecopost, uses plastic waste collected from dump sites and garbage cans across Nairobi (Kenya's capital city) to manufacture fencing posts. These posts, which are used to fence houses and forest reserves, are becoming a preferred alternative to timber. So far, her innovative business has created over 7,000 fencing posts, 500 new jobs, generated more than $150,000 in yearly revenues, saved over 250 acres of forests and removed more than 1,000 tonnes of plastic waste from the environment.

You can read the full inspiring story of how she achieved this remarkable success, by following the link to the article below:
Lorna Rutto – The innovative entrepreneur who creates wealth and jobs from plastic waste http://www.smallstarter.com/get-inspired/lorna-rutto

To remix the popular saying: 'One man's waste is another man's money'. With a population that now stands at over 170 million (and rising), the volume of waste produced in this country will continue to provide a steady stream of income for the waste entrepreneurs.

For a basic understanding of the whole waste business, its potentials and how to start yours, the article below would serve as a useful introduction:
From Waste to Wealth – How to build a profitable business out of Africa’s huge waste market http://www.smallstarter.com/browse-ideas/environmental-businesses/make-money-from-waste

I hope you found this mini article interesting. Have you got any questions, suggestions or comments about the waste business, I would love to read them!

wink

hi pLs d link is not loading properly and can u kindly help in giving location of recycling plants close to warri, thanks alot and keep up the good work
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by gr8femfred: 10:15pm On Dec 15, 2013
c5zar:

hi pLs d link is not loading properly and can u kindly help in giving location of recycling plants close to warri, thanks alot and keep up the good work

Gr8
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by lambvard: 12:39am On Dec 16, 2013
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Tolite22(m): 3:15pm On Dec 16, 2013
DAY 5

Small Business Idea #5 - Housing and Accommodation

The World Bank and the Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria both estimate that Nigeria will require nothing less than 16 million housing units (at a cost of over $350 billion) to solve its serious housing/accommodation problem. By the time our population reaches 250 million people (by year 2040), the number of housing units needed will more than double.

But enough of all the 'book-book' estimates by 'oversabi' economists. How can the common man on the street confirm the seriousness of Nigeria's housing problem? I'll tell you. If you have looked for accommodation lately, you would understand what I am talking about. The cost of rent for all kinds of space (especially in the hot cities like Lagos, Abuja and PH) is going through the roof. The cost of a 1-bedroom apartment seems to be increasing every year. Let's not even talk about 2- and 3-bedroom apartments. What about shop space for business people?

I joined a friend recently to inspect some apartments he was considering. He's planning to get married and is looking for a 3-bedroom apartment. Some of the houses we saw were in bad shape and poorly finished and I just couldn't understand why the landlords were asking for such high rent prices. It is so clear that the demand for accommodation is so high in some of our cities and towns that people will pay to have a room over their heads rather than bother about quality. This is a typical characteristic of a market where supply (availability of housing) is very much below demand.

Now that we have looked at the gaps and potentials in the housing/accommodation market in Nigeria, let's now look at the opportunities that smart entrepreneurs can take advantage of:

1 - Construction Materials
Everybody is building something everyday. Governments, businesses, investors, entrepreneurs and ordinary people are building housing accommodation every single day! It is by no means a coincidence that Africa's richest man, Aliko Dangote, has consolidated his wealth and business around the cement business. He has been building large cement production plants within and outside Nigeria to position himself for the 'construction boom' that Africa is and will continue to experience.

Cement, though an important construction material, is just one of many components of the construction business. Aggregates (sand, gravel, stones etc.), wood, glass, plumbing, fixtures and fittings and several other materials that are high demand for construction work every day in this country. These materials need more distributors, wholesalers and retailers.

Location, market research and consumer tastes are just some of the things you will need to consider before you start this business. To find out more about the business of construction materials, I have just the right article for you. Take your time to read and digest it.

Building and Construction materials – 9 Hot selling products that can make you money in Africa http://www.smallstarter.com/browse-ideas/real-estate-and-construction/building-and-construction-materials-business-in-africa

2 - Real estate / Property business
How would you like to have your own tenants? Land and buildings are one of very few investments that 'hardly' go down in value. Some people like to buy cheap, hold and sell later in the future. Some others prefer to buy land, build something on it and rent/lease it out to tenants. The second option provides a steady stream of income for many years. Many of our parents who are old and retired are sustained from rent income from properties they bought/built many years ago.

Cities like Lagos are expanding at an astonishing rate. Investing in real estate is not as capital intensive as many believe. Start with what you have. Buy land on the outskirts of town where it is cheap. When development catches up with that area, you could sell at a much higher price or build apartments for a steady rent income.

If you would like to know more about the real estate/property business, I suggest you read this article:
The Hottest Property Market in the World - How to Invest and Make Money in Real Estate in Africa http://www.smallstarter.com/browse-ideas/real-estate-and-construction/real-estate-investment-in-africa

3. Real Estate Agency
While it is very true that there are fewer houses than people need in Nigeria, it is actually very difficult to find the kind of accommodation you want without any help. Can you find the time and energy to walk around town? That's where real estate agents come in.

The housing market in Nigeria (and most parts of Africa) is not organised. There is no structured way for sellers (Landlords) to find buyers (prospective tenants). Although there are a growing number of magazines and internet portals that are trying to link people to the kind of houses they want, the transformation will take some time.

Real estate agents help people to find residential and office space and get paid a fixed finder's fee or a percentage (commission) of the agreed rent. The interesting thing about this business is that it is easy to start. Succeeding in it is a different matter. You will carve a niche for yourself and find a way to find customers and referrals from your previous clients. In most cities that I know, no registration is required to provide agency services for people looking for accommodation.

For a foundation course in the real estate agency business, I suggest you read the following article:
Real Estate Agency - How to earn income by connecting people to homes and investments of their dreams http://www.smallstarter.com/browse-ideas/real-estate-and-construction/real-estate-agency

I am sorry if you found this post too long. I was afraid I would leave out something important if I tried to be brief. I hope you find something here that lights a bulb in your brain.

Thank you for all the kind feedback. It has been very encouraging.

Expect another interesting idea, same time tomorrow!

wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by kentochi(m): 5:08pm On Dec 16, 2013
You are doing great work here.
May God bless you.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by c5zar: 11:26pm On Dec 16, 2013
you made no comment about my question tho, thanks all thesame
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Tolite22(m): 9:49am On Dec 17, 2013
c5zar: you made no comment about my question tho, thanks all the same

My apologies for not responding to your earlier question. It was by no means intentional.

I tested the links in the post and they all worked fine. Could you please paste the particular link that refused to load?

I'm not sure I know of any recycling plants around Warri. Is there anybody reading this who knows about a waste (plastic, metal, paper etc.) recycling plant in the Benin-Warri area? Please share with us in the spirit of 'sharing' wink

Thanks again C5zar for drawing my attention to your question.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by c5zar: 10:17am On Dec 17, 2013
Tolite22:

My apologies for not responding to your earlier question. It was by no means intentional.

I tested the links in the post and they all worked fine. Could you please paste the particular link that refused to load?

I'm not sure I know of any recycling plants around Warri. Is there anybody reading this who knows about a waste (plastic, metal, paper etc.) recycling plant in the Benin-Warri area? Please share with us in the spirit of 'sharing' wink

Thanks again C5zar for drawing my attention to your question.

ok thanks, i used my laptop and it worked, dosnt work on my phone browser tho, and please anybody with such idea on locations should help out, or an idea on hw to contact any industry to discuss transport to their locations.
Thanks
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by oladayo042: 3:57pm On Dec 17, 2013
Good job bro.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Tolite22(m): 4:05pm On Dec 17, 2013
DAY 6

Small Business Idea #6 - Internet-based businesses

Nigeria has the highest number of internet users in Africa (nearly 50 million people) and is Number 11 in the world. 50 million is less than 30 percent of our country's 170 million people. This clearly shows that Nigeria still has more than enough room for internet penetration. We have the most users in Africa on Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo! and Gmail! Over the next ten years, we will more than likely be one of the top 5 internet users in the world; just behind China, India, Indonesia and maybe Brazil.

How is a high population of internet users a good thing? Why should it concern you? The answer is simple: consumption! Whenever and wherever a large population of people have a hunger/need for something, therein lies a huge business opportunity. Nigerians have established a hunger for information, hanging out and buying things online. Our hunger for information (news, gossip, opinions etc) is producing an increasing crop of millionaire bloggers. Social networks like Facebook and Twitter are making money from our constant need to say something, socialise and stay in touch. The promising trend of online shopping is attracting booming online retailers like Jumia and Konga and many more which will open up soon. Our large population of internet users makes us a juicy target for smart entrepreneurs (Nigerians and foreigners). The thing is, most Nigerians can't seem to figure out how to join this hot party.

Internet businesses are making more millionaires across the world because they are cheaper to start and can reach a worldwide audience 365 days of the year. This is the only opportunity in today's world that allows a university undergraduate to build a profitable business from his/her school dormitory room. I would be a liar if I told you I know everything you need to become a successful internet entrepreneur. The truth is, nobody really knows. The internet is like digging for treasure on a newly discovered island; nobody knows where ALL the goodies are buried. All I can share with you are the high-potential opportunities and links to profiles of some Nigerian entrepreneurs who have already made it in these areas. These successful internet entrepreneurs are only the first batch because there will be hundreds more. We have barely scratched the surface of all that is possible with the internet in Nigeria.

Let me now touch on a couple of interesting and lucrative opportunities on the internet and mention (where necessary) a couple of Nigerians who have changed their fortunes and lives forever. I would strongly advise you to think about each of these opportunities very well and carefully read all the recommended articles. My intention here is not to tell you exactly what you should do. My intention is to INSPIRE you by showing you what others like you have done. It is my hope that this inspiration will LIGHT A BULB OF IMAGINATION IN YOUR HEAD! As you will soon see, making it on the internet is not about 'copy copy'. Originality, hardwork, consistency, passion and determination are the five key elements of making money on the internet. Anybody who tells you that you can make some quick money online is likely to be a scam. I do not doubt that it is possible; when it happens, it's lmore likely to be an exception rather than the rule. Here are my top favourite internet opportunities:

#1 - Blogging
If you have ever tried to start a blog before, you would know that it can be one of the most frustrating things in life. Most of us think we can just start a blog, tell our friends about it (and maybe throw away some advertising money) and we'll become the next Linda Ikeji. I laugh in Latin! Only those who have walked the lonely road of building a blog will understand. In fact, there are more abandoned blogs in Nigeria than there are potholes on all our roads. Yes! Because it's easy for anyone and everyone to start a blog, the casualty rates are very very high. However, when and if you reach the promised land of blogging, it's almost like you own a small oil block that prints money. As you would have guessed, it will take time, passion and sacrifice.

There's no better example for me in this space than Linda Ikeji. While many of us know that Linda makes over $30,000 a month by sharing hot news and gossip which we all love to read, it's likely that you don't know that she ran her blog for nearly SIX years without a kobo dropping into her purse. The article below is one of many profiles of the celebrity blogger. More importantly, it shows how she makes money from her blog and provides some solid tips you will learn from.

Linda Ikeji - The successful blogger who makes a lot of money from gossip http://www.smallstarter.com/get-inspired/linda-ikeji

#2 - Entertainment
One of the most popular reasons why we get on the internet is to entertain ourselves in a bid to escape from boredom. Social networks, Youtube and Games are the top destinations for many Nigerians. Rather than join the rest of us to 'dis' Nollywood, Jason Njoku of Iroko TV decided to export to the world this fruit most Nigerians seem to be ashamed of. The thing we didn't know is that Nollywood has many more fans outside Nigeria than in it. Indians, Jamaicans, East Africans, Nigerians abroad and Americans watch more of our movies on Iroko TV's website than Nigerians at home. Today, Iroko TV is a multi-million DOLLAR business and its founder, Jason, who was broke when he started the business is widely celebrated as one of Africa's top internet entrepreneurs.

You can read Iroko TV's inspiring story here:
Iroko TV – How this internet business makes millions by bringing African movies to the world http://smallstarter.com/get-inspired/iroko-tv

You can also read Jason Njoku's personal blog at www.jason.com.ng

#3 - Services
One of the best things about the internet is that it makes life a whole lot easier. Tasks and services that used to be difficult, stressful and expensive have now been made simpler. Take shopping for example. Remember when the only option was to visit a market or supermarket (under the rain or hot sun) to buy stuff? Apart from the stress involved, quality and customer service was just another headache away. Today, in the comfort of your bed or air-conditioned office, you select what you want on Jumia or Konga and they'll have it delivered. You don't like it? They'll change it. You have a complaint? They'll handle it. I agree their services are not yet perfect, but trust me, it is much better than the 'suffering' of the old days.

My preferred focus for this category is Jobbrman.com. This business has totally changed the way employers find good employees in Nigeria. This change which appears to be a ripple in the ocean may not be noticeable to all of us given the scale of unemployment in Nigeria. But trust me, it's really helping job seekers and prospective employers alike! The thing that inspires me the most about Jobberman is how it started; three university undergraduates who worked on this brilliant idea while they studied at school. Today, Jobberman has branched out of Nigeria to Ghana and plans to sweep across Africa.

You can read Jobberman's inspiring story here:
The Jobberman story - how three ambitious Africans are solving unemployment problems on the continent http://smallstarter.com/get-inspired/the-jobberman-story

#4 - Others
The opportunities above are just my top three picks. As I said earlier in this post, there are limitless opportunities to make money on the internet. Freelance blogging, Sharing videos on Youtube, Internet games, Domain flipping, Social media marketing, website design and development are just a few more I can think of. Do some digging; find something you're passionate about and give it your best shot. It appears that the chances of success are higher online than offline.

To give you a 360-degree view of the internet business opportunities available, I recommend the following article. I consider it a foundation/introductory course to the world of internet business. It's not the most complete article out there but it's a good place to start. Here it is:

How to make money online - the open secrets many Africans do not yet know http://www.smallstarter.com/browse-ideas/internet-business/how-to-make-money-online-from-blogging

As I have already admitted, the internet is a big and wonderful beast. Nigeria has a huge advantage given its large internet population and consumption. Do you have any other internet business ideas?? Please share!

cool

2 Likes

Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by stanley99a(m): 10:54pm On Dec 17, 2013
Following
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Nobody: 10:37am On Dec 18, 2013
Tolite22: DAY 6

Small Business Idea #6 - Internet-based businesses

Nigeria has the highest number of internet users in Africa (nearly 50 million people) and is Number 11 in the world. 50 million is less than 30 percent of our country's 170 million people. This clearly shows that Nigeria still has more than enough room for internet penetration. We have the most users in Africa on Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo! and Gmail! Over the next ten years, we will more than likely be one of the top 5 internet users in the world; just behind China, India, Indonesia and maybe Brazil.

How is a high population of internet users a good thing? Why should it concern you? The answer is simple: consumption! Whenever and wherever a large population of people have a hunger/need for something, therein lies a huge business opportunity. Nigerians have established a hunger for information, hanging out and buying things online. Our hunger for information (news, gossip, opinions etc) is producing an increasing crop of millionaire bloggers. Social networks like Facebook and Twitter are making money from our constant need to say something, socialise and stay in touch. The promising trend of online shopping is attracting booming online retailers like Jumia and Konga and many more which will open up soon. Our large population of internet users makes us a juicy target for smart entrepreneurs (Nigerians and foreigners). The thing is, most Nigerians can't seem to figure out how to join this hot party.

Internet businesses are making more millionaires across the world because they are cheaper to start and can reach a worldwide audience 365 days of the year. This is the only opportunity in today's world that allows a university undergraduate to build a profitable business from his/her school dormitory room. I would be a liar if I told you I know everything you need to become a successful internet entrepreneur. The truth is, nobody really knows. The internet is like digging for treasure on a newly discovered island; nobody knows where ALL the goodies are buried. All I can share with you are the high-potential opportunities and links to profiles of some Nigerian entrepreneurs who have already made it in these areas. These successful internet entrepreneurs are only the first batch because there will be hundreds more. We have barely scratched the surface of all that is possible with the internet in Nigeria.

Let me now touch on a couple of interesting and lucrative opportunities on the internet and mention (where necessary) a couple of Nigerians who have changed their fortunes and lives forever. I would strongly advise you to think about each of these opportunities very well and carefully read all the recommended articles. My intention here is not to tell you exactly what you should do. My intention is to INSPIRE you by showing you what others like you have done. It is my hope that this inspiration will LIGHT A BULB OF IMAGINATION IN YOUR HEAD! As you will soon see, making it on the internet is not about 'copy copy'. Originality, hardwork, consistency, passion and determination are the five key elements of making money on the internet. Anybody who tells you that you can make some quick money online is likely to be a scam. I do not doubt that it is possible; when it happens, it's lmore likely to be an exception rather than the rule. Here are my top favourite internet opportunities:

#1 - Blogging
If you have ever tried to start a blog before, you would know that it can be one of the most frustrating things in life. Most of us think we can just start a blog, tell our friends about it (and maybe throw away some advertising money) and we'll become the next Linda Ikeji. I laugh in Latin! Only those who have walked the lonely road of building a blog will understand. In fact, there are more abandoned blogs in Nigeria than there are potholes on all our roads. Yes! Because it's easy for anyone and everyone to start a blog, the casualty rates are very very high. However, when and if you reach the promised land of blogging, it's almost like you own a small oil block that prints money. As you would have guessed, it will take time, passion and sacrifice.

There's no better example for me in this space than Linda Ikeji. While many of us know that Linda makes over $30,000 a month by sharing hot news and gossip which we all love to read, it's likely that you don't know that she ran her blog for nearly SIX years without a kobo dropping into her purse. The article below is one of many profiles of the celebrity blogger. More importantly, it shows how she makes money from her blog and provides some solid tips you will learn from.

Linda Ikeji - The successful blogger who makes a lot of money from gossip http://www.smallstarter.com/get-inspired/linda-ikeji

#2 - Entertainment
One of the most popular reasons why we get on the internet is to entertain ourselves in a bid to escape from boredom. Social networks, Youtube and Games are the top destinations for many Nigerians. Rather than join the rest of us to 'dis' Nollywood, Jason Njoku of Iroko TV decided to export to the world this fruit most Nigerians seem to be ashamed of. The thing we didn't know is that Nollywood has many more fans outside Nigeria than in it. Indians, Jamaicans, East Africans, Nigerians abroad and Americans watch more of our movies on Iroko TV's website than Nigerians at home. Today, Iroko TV is a multi-million DOLLAR business and its founder, Jason, who was broke when he started the business is widely celebrated as one of Africa's top internet entrepreneurs.

You can read Iroko TV's inspiring story here:
Iroko TV – How this internet business makes millions by bringing African movies to the world http://smallstarter.com/get-inspired/iroko-tv

You can also read Jason Njoku's personal blog at www.jason.com.ng

#3 - Services
One of the best things about the internet is that it makes life a whole lot easier. Tasks and services that used to be difficult, stressful and expensive have now been made simpler. Take shopping for example. Remember when the only option was to visit a market or supermarket (under the rain or hot sun) to buy stuff? Apart from the stress involved, quality and customer service was just another headache away. Today, in the comfort of your bed or air-conditioned office, you select what you want on Jumia or Konga and they'll have it delivered. You don't like it? They'll change it. You have a complaint? They'll handle it. I agree their services are not yet perfect, but trust me, it is much better than the 'suffering' of the old days.

My preferred focus for this category is Jobbrman.com. This business has totally changed the way employers find good employees in Nigeria. This change which appears to be a ripple in the ocean may not be noticeable to all of us given the scale of unemployment in Nigeria. But trust me, it's really helping job seekers and prospective employers alike! The thing that inspires me the most about Jobberman is how it started; three university undergraduates who worked on this brilliant idea while they studied at school. Today, Jobberman has branched out of Nigeria to Ghana and plans to sweep across Africa.

You can read Jobberman's inspiring story here:
The Jobberman story - how three ambitious Africans are solving unemployment problems on the continent http://smallstarter.com/get-inspired/the-jobberman-story

#4 - Others
The opportunities above are just my top three picks. As I said earlier in this post, there are limitless opportunities to make money on the internet. Freelance blogging, Sharing videos on Youtube, Internet games, Domain flipping, Social media marketing, website design and development are just a few more I can think of. Do some digging; find something you're passionate about and give it your best shot. It appears that the chances of success are higher online than offline.

To give you a 360-degree view of the internet business opportunities available, I recommend the following article. I consider it a foundation/introductory course to the world of internet business. It's not the most complete article out there but it's a good place to start. Here it is:

How to make money online - the open secrets many Africans do not yet know http://www.smallstarter.com/browse-ideas/internet-business/how-to-make-money-online-from-blogging

As I have already admitted, the internet is a big and wonderful beast. Nigeria has a huge advantage given its large internet population and consumption. Do you have any other internet business ideas?? Please share!

cool

One blogging idea is to blog about nigerian churches. Thats one niche every nigerian would wanna gossip about. A better way todo it is to get a camera and conduct survey and inerview at the church. Write about it on ur blog with welcoming topic and photo hen watch the traffic flow. Make money from adsence and private ads by placing new music release and getting paid to do that.

1 Like

Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Tolite22(m): 7:59pm On Dec 18, 2013
DAY 7

Small Business Idea #7 - Network/Multi-Level Marketing

Don't 'squeeze' your face just yet. I too used to shift in my chair anytime somebody mentions 'Network marketing'. Of course, this was until I set aside by bias and studied this business opportunity very closely. Although it is referred to as the business of the 21st century, network marketing takes the first position as the most misunderstood business model in Nigeria. I think the blame for this goes to both the practitioners of network marketing businesses in Nigeria and our character as Nigerians.

To my mind, the key reasons why this business concept, though amazing, is not working for many Nigerians are:

(1) Many of us cannot tell the difference between pyramid or 'Ponzi' schemes and networking marketing. The two models appear to be very similar but one is a scam in disguise while the other is a remarkable business opportunity. In fact, I think pyramid schemes (which have fallen many victims) are the real reason why network marketing has such a bad name in many Nigerian minds.

(2) Network marketing is often branded as a get-rich-quick business. This is such a lie. None of the leading network marketing millionaires I know and have researched became wealthy is less than 3-5 years of doing the business. Like every other successful endeavour, making it in network marketing takes TIME, sustained effort and determination. Any one who tells you otherwise is either desperate or a Ponzi schemer.

(3) No real and valuable products. This is often the easiest way to separate pyramid schemes from real network marketing businesses. Every real network marketing business sells a real and VALUABLE product. Don't forget that network marketing is just another method of distributing products or services to more customers. So, if the product has no real value and is not fast-moving, forget it! Products that sell fast and are used very often by people make for the best network marketing businesses. Toiletries, cosmetics, drugs, supplements and food products are some of the best ones out there. Any business that sells/distributes holidays to Dubai, rare gold coins, club memberships etc are highly suspicious. My reason is simple: they do not sell huge volumes.

(4) Many people think it's just a game of numbers; bring 10 people who bring 10 other people and then you make your money back with a huge return. See mumu! I laugh in French! While network marketing relies in the numbers and strength of your NETWORK, the business is really about building a strong and solid team. It's all about teamwork not deceiving or taking advantage of others.

(5) Anybody can become part of network marketing. LIE! While this is true in theory, it doesn't work in the field. If you don't understand the products you're promoting and don't know how the model works, you're only flushing your money down the toilet. Network marketing requires knowledgable, aggressive and goal-oriented people. It also helps if you are sociable and have no problems making friends or talking to total strangers. Above all, you must be a CURIOUS person. Reading and learning is a MAJOR part of the network marketing business. You must be willing to read and learn from other successful network marketers. If you think you'll just sign up to a network marketing business and money would keep flowing into your bank account while you sleep all day and hang out with friends, I suggest you take a blood test for acute malaria! cheesy

These are just a couple of things (I believe) you should have in mind about the network marketing business. If you run into somebody who tells you to join his/her network marketing business and it requires little work and sounds too good to be true, RUN!

If you're looking to understand Network Marketing from the very basic level, here's a very interesting article I strongly recommend:

Network marketing – How Africans can exploit the world’s most amazing business opportunity http://www.smallstarter.com/browse-ideas/home-and-personal-services/network-and-multi-level-marketing-business-in-africa

I hope this post clears the confusion in many heads and inspires others to take advantage of the amazing opportunities in network marketing.

Cheers!
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Tolite22(m): 8:13pm On Dec 18, 2013
mrnestyy1985: One blogging idea is to blog about nigerian churches. Thats one niche every nigerian would wanna gossip about. A better way todo it is to get a camera and conduct survey and inerview at the church. Write about it on ur blog with welcoming topic and photo hen watch the traffic flow. Make money from adsence and private ads by placing new music release and getting paid to do that.

Mr. Nesty, your idea would be interesting to watch out for. It sounds like the kind of sensitive but controversial subject that will spark huge interest and intense debate. I'm surprised though that nobody has taken on the Nigerian 'church industry' (one of the largest and most prolific in the world).

Would be an interesting blog to follow. But who has the 'balls' to take it on grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Farming Business Can I Start With N300 - 350k? / History Of Naira To Dollar Exchange Rate (1972-2019) / Man Strips Unclad At Debtor's House To Demand He Pays Him His Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.