Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,220 members, 7,780,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:56 PM

Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple (13856 Views)

Gay Couple Wins Custody Battle Over Surrogate Mother, Jubilation In Hell. / Gay Couple Gives Birth To A Healthy Boy / Man Bashes Wife For Refusing To Teach Him How To Use Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 09, 2013
Gay activists protest the Masterpiece Cakeshop in 2012. Owner Jack Phillips now faces charges for not baking a cake for the gay couple. (Free Republic)

Gay marriage was banned by the Colorado constitution in 2006.
But this didn’t stop the Colorado Attorney General’s office from filing a discrimination complaint against Masterpiece Cakeshop for not baking a cake for a gay couple.

In July the Colorado Attorney General’s office filed a discrimination complaint against the owners of Masterpiece Cakeshop, who last year declined to make a cake for Denver couple Dave Mullins and Charlie Craig, the Associated Press reports.

On Friday a judge ruled against the bakery owner.
The Chicago Tribune reported:

A Colorado bakery owner illegally discriminated against a gay couple when he refused to bake a wedding cake for the pair last year because of his Christian religious beliefs, a judge ruled on Friday.

Administrative Law Judge Robert Spencer ordered Jack Phillips, owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop in suburban Denver, to accommodate sex-couples or face fines and other possible penalties.

“At first blush, it may seem reasonable that a private business should be able to refuse service to anyone it chooses,” Spencer wrote in his 13-page ruling.

“This view, however, fails to take into account the cost to society and the hurt caused to persons who are denied service simply because of who they are.”

The case involves Charlie Craig and David Mullins, who said Phillips refused to bake a wedding for their wedding celebration when they went to his shop in 2012. The couple was wed in Massachusetts, one of 16 U.S. states that have legalized same-sex marriage, but wanted to have a celebration of their nuptials in Colorado.

Colorado allows civil unions for same-sex couples, but defines marriage as between one man and one woman. Phillips refused to bake the cake, saying his Christian beliefs prevented him from doing so.

The American Civil Liberties Union filed a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Division, which ruled that Phillips had violated a state law barring discrimination at public accommodations based on race, gender or sexual orientation. On Friday, Spencer upheld the commission’s findings.

Mullins said in a statement it was “offensive and dehumanizing” when he and Craig were denied service at the bakery. “No one should fear being turned away from a public business because of who they are,” he said.

Phillips has not decided whether to appeal to a higher court, said his attorney, Nicolle Martin.

In July I spoke with Attorney Nicolle Martin at the annual Alliance Defending Freedom conference in California about the charges against the owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop. Martin says the owner faces up to a year in jail for not baking a cake for the gay couple.

“The complainants can sue him civilly in the regular courts system or he can potentially be prosecuted by the district attorney for up to twelve months in jail.”

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/12/co-baker-found-guilty-for-denying-gay-couple-wedding-cake-may-face-a-year-in-jail-video/
Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 5:54pm On Dec 09, 2013
This is getting out of hand.
Does he not have a right to choose who and who not to do business with anymore? Or does he not have a right to choose to accept or reject a contract?

He should get a competent lawyer and fight the case to the tooth.

21 Likes

Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 6:05pm On Dec 09, 2013
I nor wan doツ Na by force?

6 Likes

Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 6:10pm On Dec 09, 2013
They should get a nairaland with a user name starting with d and ends with I.
He loves gays so much as he is one of them and also a baker cool

2 Likes

Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by EfemenaXY: 6:14pm On Dec 09, 2013
Chillisauce: They should get a nairaland with a user name starting with d and ends with I.

Spill the beans...
Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by Seun(m): 6:19pm On Dec 09, 2013
breezy047: Does he not have a right to choose who and who not to do business with anymore? Or does he not have a right to choose to accept or reject a contract?
There was a time when living as a black American was very inconvenient because most places of business would refuse to serve black people. Can you imagine going to a restaurant with your white friends only to be told that they "don't serve your type here?" Or a petrol station? Or to not be allowed to attend a good school even though your academics are strong? That's what America was like before the laws that convicted this man were created. It does a lot of damage to members of minority groups if people are allowed to refuse to do business with "their type".

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 6:20pm On Dec 09, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Spill the beans...

Just watch closely, he will soon enter this thread ... I don't wanna get banned.
Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by GSKing: 7:21pm On Dec 09, 2013
If he wasn't denied assess to start his business in his state, he shouldn't deny people/clients the business he was allowed to start...after all he'll be paid for his services... he should be jailed for intolerance and segregation of gay couples!

5 Likes

Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by beryl04(m): 7:59pm On Dec 09, 2013
Seun: There was a time when living as a black man was very inconvenient because most places of business would refuse to serve black people. Can you imagine going to a restaurant with your white friends only to be told that they "don't serve your type here?" Or a petrol station? Or to not be allowed to attend a good school even though your academics are strong? That's what America was like before the laws that convicted this man were created. It does a lot of damage to members of minority groups if people are allowed to refuse to do business with their type.

Thanks so much for pointing that out b4 the squad decends with their holier than thou comments.
I almost cried d day I went to a club with my white friends in Johannesburg only to be told by the bouncers'sorry we don't allow nigerians and besides u don't look gay enuf' now how does that sound.I cudnt do anything cos I was a foreigner and to think that can happen in Africa and in a gay club makes the whole thing somehow unbearable.trust me,d next day I went to the management of d club and raised some dust.
Nobody should be discriminated against based on skin color,nationality or even sexual orientation cos when u got the license to operate the business ,u uphold to serve the public not to prejudice on some sections.

1 Like

Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by GSKing: 8:04pm On Dec 09, 2013
beryl04:

Thanks so much for pointing that out b4 the squad decends with their holier than thou comments.
I almost cried d day I went to a club with my white friends in Johannesburg only to be told by the bouncers'sorry we don't allow nigerians and besides u don't look gay enuf' now how does that sound.I cudnt do anything cos I was a foreigner and to think that can happen in Africa and in a gay club makes the whole thing somehow unbearable.trust me,d next day I went to the management of d club and raised some dust.
Nobody should be discriminated against based on skin color,nationality or even sexual orientation!
What? angry
Hope those bouncers were retrenched? Business is business? What right do they have to question their clients...
Must have been very painful for you... I wouldn't want to be told I don't look gay enough to enter a gay club or gathering o... I go vex with that person gaaaannn... angry

1 Like

Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by beryl04(m): 8:12pm On Dec 09, 2013
GSKing:
What? angry
Hope those bouncers were retrenched? Business is business? What right do they have to question their clients...
Must have been very painful for you... I wouldn't want to be told I don't look gay enough to enter a gay club or gathering o... I go vex with that person gaaaannn... angry
My dear in SA is an everyday thing o. And apparently the managers of such places are d ones that gives such instructions claiming nigerians, albeit some straight ones claiming gay, only comes in to sell drugs to clients.
But they no born dem well to try it d next time sha cos a phone call to a certain chief judge in Johannesburg put paid to such nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by GSKing: 8:34pm On Dec 09, 2013
beryl04:
My dear in SA is an everyday thing o. And apparently the managers of such places are d ones that gives such instructions claiming nigerians, albeit some straight ones claiming gay, only comes in to sell drugs to clients.
But they no born dem well to try it d next time sha cos a phone call to a certain chief judge in Johannesburg put paid to such nonsense.
so excited @ the bolded... Wow! Such power and freedom!grin When are we going to recognize gay rights and legalize it in 9ja?

Just hope necessary authorities in Nigeria are doing something about doing away with that heidous gay bill... Wouldn't want my case to be like those in the op's post..!

1 Like

Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by GSKing: 8:36pm On Dec 09, 2013
beryl04:
Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by beryl04(m): 8:49pm On Dec 09, 2013
GSKing:
so excited @ the bolded... Wow! Such power and freedom!grin When are we going to recognize gay rights and legalize it in 9ja?

Just hope necessary authorities in Nigeria are doing something about doing away with that heidous gay bill... Wouldn't want my case to be like those in the op's post..!

When u travel out of this hell hole, u'll find out that gay people has power and influence in all spheres of human endeavor.the rich and powerful naija gays, only feel freer to flex abroad and u get too see them kissing their partners openly in bars and clubs. the chief judge is an openly gay guy my dear.

1 Like

Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 10:50pm On Dec 09, 2013
beryl04:

When u travel out of this hell hole, u'll find out that gay people has power and influence in all spheres of human endeavor.the rich and powerful naija gays, only feel freer to flex abroad and u get too see them kissing their partners openly in bars and clubs. the chief judge is an openly gay guy my dear.

Very true.They know who they're deceiving.
Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by Connoisseur(m): 10:58pm On Dec 09, 2013
is this a gay lounge?

##justasking

13 Likes

Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 11:00pm On Dec 09, 2013
Connoisseur: is this a gay lounge?

##justasking

lol. nope.

Contribute what you wanna. Seun isn't gay.
Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by beryl04(m): 11:03pm On Dec 09, 2013
Meanwhile,d Luxembourg new leaders,the prime minister and his deputy ,both openly gay men were sworn-in some few hours ago.the world is changing fast.

Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 12:15am On Dec 10, 2013
Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by dinachi(m): 3:37am On Dec 10, 2013
Why are they discriminating against him because of his beliefs? This just shows that the homosexuals are the bigots here. They adopt an attitude of if you don't agree with us we make your life miserable. But when they come to undefeated territory like Nigeria, they talk about hate and discrimination. Right now in their conquered territory, they discriminate against people because of their own beliefs. HYPOCRITES!

17 Likes

Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by MRSANITY(m): 10:47am On Dec 10, 2013
Thank goodness for Nigeria!

7 Likes

Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 11:57am On Dec 10, 2013
MR.SANITY:
Thank goodness for Nigeria!

Yes o
Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by Seun(m): 12:12pm On Dec 10, 2013
dinachi: Right now in their conquered territory, they discriminate against people because of their own beliefs. HYPOCRITES!
This type of discriminatory "beliefs" should not be tolerated. And frankly, there's nothing in the bible that says you shouldn't bake cakes for gays. Jesus allowed a prostitute to anoint him with oil, and he broke bread with a corrupt tax collector. How can baking cakes for gays be a sin? If Jesus was a baker and not a carpenter, I think he would have baked delicious cakes for gay people and used the opportunity to preach to them.

I don't believe that such an offense should attract a jail term; it may be more appropriate to take away his business license for a few months.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 12:20pm On Dec 10, 2013
Seun:
This type of discriminatory "beliefs" should not be tolerated. And frankly, there's nothing in the bible that says you shouldn't bake cakes for gays. Jesus allowed a prostitute to anoint him with oil, and he broke bread with a corrupt tax collector. How can baking cakes for gays be a sin? If Jesus was a baker and not a carpenter, I think he would have baked delicious cakes for gay people and used the opportunity to preach to them.

I don't believe that such an offense should attract jail term; it may be more appropriate to take away his business license for a few months.
*muah!*
U just made my day!
Thanks for being truthful.
Hypocrites everywhere.
Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 12:24pm On Dec 10, 2013
Chillisauce: They should get a nairaland with a user name starting with d and ends with I.
Chilli onye nsogbu!
I hv seen him already tongue
Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 3:32pm On Dec 10, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
Chilli onye nsogbu!
I hv seen him already tongue

tongue
Whenever there is such topic, you always find him. cool
Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by dinachi(m): 4:30pm On Dec 10, 2013
Seun:

I don't believe that such an offense should attract jail term; it may be more appropriate to take away his business license for a few months.
If they are punishing him about his belief then that is too bad. Many people believe that their is no God, some believe that he exists who has punished them for their "discriminatory" beliefs? Some people believe that Homosexuals should marry, who has punished them?
The baker does not work for the government and therefore has the right to say please go to the next store I don"t want to attend to you. What of instances you visit a shop and the shop owner is closing and says I cant attend to you do you punish him? It is discriminatory to punish somebody for his beliefs or does the Homosexual government not tolerate those with opposing views? The shop owner did no wrong for saying he will not encourage the spread of Homosexuality by refusing his services. It is within his right to decide who to work for. THIS IS DOUBLE STANDARDS.
Homosexuals are looking for scape goats if not why didint the sickos go to another homosexual friendly baker to help them. We need to be very careful about this because very soon homosexuals will march into a church and demand that the pastor must wed them or face sanctions.

@ Seun my Million Dollar question to you is if you are a pastor and two homosexual men walk in to your church and demand that you wed them, what do you do?

16 Likes

Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by Nikapetrelli(f): 5:45pm On Dec 10, 2013
Na una sabi
Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by ednut1(m): 5:47pm On Dec 10, 2013
adofuro gbo yin ma shan ku
Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by Kairoseki77: 5:48pm On Dec 10, 2013
dinachi: Why are they discriminating against him because of his beliefs? This just shows that the homosexuals are the bigots here. They adopt an attitude of if you don't agree with us we make your life miserable. But when they come to undefeated territory like Nigeria, they talk about hate and discrimination. Right now in their conquered territory, they discriminate against people because of their own beliefs. HYPOCRITES!

Imagine the headline was instead: "Baker Faces Jail For Refusing to Bake Cake For Interracial Couple"

Then imagine someone wrote: Why are they discriminating against him because of his beliefs? This just shows that the blacks are the bigots here. They adopt an attitude of if you don't agree with us we make your life miserable. But when they come to undefeated territory like South Africa, they talk about hate and discrimination. Right now in their conquered territory, they discriminate against people because of their own beliefs. HYPOCRITES!

Just so you know, interracial marriage was illegal until 1967 in the US.

Have you learned anything my good man? cool

6 Likes

Re: Baker Faces Jail For Refusing To Bake Cake For Gay Couple by homesteady(m): 5:49pm On Dec 10, 2013
Hian! Orisirisi! Na by force to bake? undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages / Revive The Habit Of Self-sufficiency- For Every Nigerian Woman/girl / Best Technique For Dealing With A Nagging Wife/Partner?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.