Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,706 members, 7,805,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:09 AM

Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial (66452 Views)

NASS Clerk And Saraki Snubbed Buhari‘s Request – Garba Shehu / Oritsejafor Snubbed As Sultan, Oonaiyekan Others Meet Over 2015-elections / Why Jonathan Didn’t Speak At Mandela’s Service – Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by pazienza(m): 3:54am On Dec 12, 2013
Acidosis:

Fashola ^^

Serious reflection, by fashola.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Biggyd2: 6:00am On Dec 12, 2013
ocelot2006:

Oya, I no wan park. Wetin u go do?

Haba, you for tell me tey tey say na dat one fit rock ya boat. Ok, your sins are forgiven. I release you nau! You can jump from one post to the other and continue vibrating there over wetin no concern you. You can see you have a lot do, so you better hurry.

Hope you are breathing well now.

Happy workings o! grin.

Done with you.
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Sagamite(m): 6:42am On Dec 12, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:
It is an analogy showing a highly clean man and a man believed to be dirty. If the thief saves the Pastor, saying thank you doesn't make the Pastor dirty. Same in this case, people make the inference that the reason SA didn't give Nigeria a chance is because of corruption. Saying thank you won't make them dirty. When Nigeria was helping, it was okay.

Please the analogy has nothing to do with theocracy.

Really?

Please explain to me how SA is a highly clean nation, hence why you chose a highly clean man for your analogy.

thegoodjoehunt:

You never new policies could have corrupt motives. Please give me a break.

Oh, really?

So policies could be corrupt?

But not all policies are corrupt?

And yet, you referred to Okonjo's policies in relation to corruption?

Please explain to me in clear terms how Okonjo has been corrupt through her policies, hence why you think I should have a problem with her the way I have a problem with Retardeen.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Sagamite(m): 6:51am On Dec 12, 2013
I have tried to check where the person Jonathan was placed in the FNB stadium, but I cannot find him.

Was the foool put in the stand with the singing South Africans? Or in some back sit behind the President of Guinea Bissau or something.

Even Baba Iyabo (OBJ) was invited and given a prominent seat behind Kofi Annan, Boutrous Boutrous Ghali and Desmond Tutu.

That is the only Nigerian ex-president that has international clout and is accorded global respect.

Cretins like IBB are stuck in Minna being worshiped by dumb illiterates and ignored by the world.

Even Ribadu has more clout than IBB at the international stage.

person Jonathan would soon follow such ex-Nigerian president track with his rotund, pot-bellied wife. Useless leaders!

As long as some of you continue voting for such fucktards, expect to be seen as a useless and daft nation worthy of no respect!

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by lizu: 7:34am On Dec 12, 2013
Good write, God bless the writter, Long live federal replubic of nigeria
ceo4eva: Despite leaving Nigeria early for the funeral of late South African leader, Nelson Mandela, President Goodluck Jonathan has been snubbed by the South African authorities at the State Memorial Service of the anti-apartheid leader.

An official release of programmes during the memorial service shows that the Nigerian president was missing on the list of world leaders billed to give tributes. The world leaders who will be giving tributes are, United State President, Barack Obama; President Dilma Rousseff of Brazil; Vice-President Li Yuanchao of China; President Hifikepunye Pohamba of Namibia; President Pranab Mukherjee of India; and President Raúl Castro Ruz of Cuba.

Other leaders billed to give tributes are the United Nations Secretary-General, Ban Ki-Moon; and the African Union Commission Chair, Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma.

Though Mr. Jonathan is not the only head of state that would not give tribute- there are about 90 heads of state attending the funeral, the apparent snub handed Mr. Jonathan also appears to rubbish the enormous effort played by Nigeria to bring an end to apartheid in South Africa at a time when Western governments were pussyfooting to pressure the apartheid government to renounce its policy of segregation and its brutal abuses against the black majority. Some Western governments including the U.S. had even designated the ruling Africa National Congress (ANC) as a terrorist organisation, and Mandela a terrorist.

This point was also highlighted by the Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, on Monday in a chat with journalists.
“There are more questions to answer. When you look at the part of the world where ovation is now the loudest, it was the part of the world the pain was the most vicious. In a very cruel irony, history is being revised.

“The people, who collaborated with the government that enthroned apartheid at that time, are the people that are paying the biggest tributes now. But I ask myself: is this not the time for deep reflection? I doubt if any African country expended as much time, as much money and as much commitment as the Nigerian Government.

“I was a teenager then in 1976 when anti-apartheid campaign really gained resurgence in every home in this country. Nigeria paid a huge price for what South Africa has become today. I remember the anti-apartheid campaign was at the core of Nigerian foreign policy.

“Apart from scholarship given to South Africans, I remember President Yar’Adua met Thabo Mbeki in South Africa and he was telling me about their relationship, which he said was dated to when Mbeki used to come to Zaria for student exchange programme. I remember we did not go for Commonwealth Games because of South Africa. I remember we took drastic measures against the foreign collaborators of apartheid regime and nationalised assets.”

However, Lagos-based lawyer, Jiti Ogunye, says Nigerian politicians are to be blame for the pedestrian level the country presently occupies in the international community. He says the complete atrophy of the respect the country was accorded in global affairs was as a result of years of misrule and corruption by the country’s politicians.

“Nigeria has lost its social, political and economic glory domestically and that glory that is lost cannot be recovered at Mandela’s funeral,” he said.

“While Nigeria officialdom maybe in a state of discomfiture by the non-recognition of Nigeria in the protocol of the funeral, the point is that it is not what Nigeria did for South Africa or for Angola or for any of the frontline states like Namibia that Nigeria will be remembered. It not the support Nigeria gave to the ANC… that Nigeria will be recognised by, it is what Nigeria has done for itself and what Nigeria has not done for itself. And we’ve done a lot against ourselves. Look at our country; our country is broken in many respects and no you’re talking about xenophobia, what led to it? Nigerian young people go overseas and become criminals the way we are criminals in our own country.

People leave the shore of Nigeria to be criminals outside our shores. Right from the time they leave Nigeria they’re going overseas to be criminals. We are exporting blue-collar crimes and Yahoo Yahoo to all sorts of countries, to Malaysia and are we blaming those countries for our own woes?
“How you will be regarded abroad is determined by how you’re regarded at home. Now how is the Nigeria state regarded by Nigerians? The Nigerian state is regarded by Nigerian as an uncaring state, as a heartless state, as a state that has no love for its people, as a state that has abandoned its people. So how has the Nigerian state treated its own people before we start taking offence at how the Nigerian state is treated by another country?

“Those who may be belly-aching about not being giving recognition by the organisers of the funeral of Mandela should know that while they may not be regarded, the South African people regard Nigeria. Go and read all the accounts, the role that is played by Nigerians is recognised in all those imperishable works and this cannot be obliterated by this treatment that is accorded to Nigerian officials that we at home have contempt for.

If we are disgraced outside, that disgrace didn’t come from outside that disgrace come from within because we have disgraced and debased ourselves. Do you expect anybody to take you seriously when what your rulers are known for is taking your money and cashing them away? In fact it s better they are humiliated outside so that they can come back home and be serious. If bad people are accorded all the respect and dignity that good people should be accorded how do you think they will change.”

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/151219-jonathan-snubbed-mandelas-memorial.html
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by me1234: 7:44am On Dec 12, 2013
I still don't understand why people try to compare Jonathan with Fashola. Forgetting lagos is the smallest state in nigeria where everybody embrace progress and productivity with enlightened minds in unity for the common interest of lagos. On the other hand nigeria is a big country that is so divided along ethnic and tribal sentiments with individual and ethnic interest set above national interest. It is very difficult to govern nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by lizu: 7:50am On Dec 12, 2013
I no know the DUNCE here oh.. Shey na birthday or funeral service dem dey do for mandela..
taharqa: You reali are a DUNCE. Infact, worse than a Dunce; more like an Okpee. So cos Nigeria was not askd to give a Speech at Mandela's Birthday, it there4 means that GEJ Admin 'cultivates, breeds, grows, etc corruption'?? Lawd have Mercy!! If I said everytin I felt cos of this unbelievably stu.pid logic in my mind right now , Seun himself wud ban me for 55years....#KIDS

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by rusher14: 7:56am On Dec 12, 2013
me1234: I still don't understand why people try to compare Jonathan with Fashola. Forgetting lagos is the smallest state in nigeria where everybody embrace progress and productivity with enlightened minds in unity for the common interest of lagos. On the other hand nigeria is a big country that is so divided along ethnic and tribal sentiments with individual and ethnic interest set above national interest. It is very difficult to govern nigeria.

That might be true.

Now tell me about Bayelsa.
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Sagamite(m): 8:42am On Dec 12, 2013
me1234: I still don't understand why people try to compare Jonathan with Fashola. Forgetting lagos is the smallest state in nigeria where everybody embrace progress and productivity with enlightened minds in unity for the common interest of lagos. On the other hand nigeria is a big country that is so divided along ethnic and tribal sentiments with individual and ethnic interest set above national interest. It is very difficult to govern nigeria.

It is because Nigeria is large that Jonathan turned EFCC comatose?

So Nigerians do not want progress and productivity that is why the cretin has not prosecuted one single Nigerian linked to bribery cases (Halliburton, Saipem, Wilbros and Julius Berger) despite those that bribed them being convicted and fined abroad?

It is because of ethnic and tribal sentiments with individual and ethnic interest that Retardeen is not giving his best but pardoning and protecting corrupt people?

Nigeria is very difficult to govern but that did not stop the person from helping a convicted felon, Etete, loot the country of $1bn?

Stop giving moronic excuses for fucktards, my friend?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by ocelot2006(m): 9:43am On Dec 12, 2013
Biggyd2:

Haba, you for tell me tey tey say na dat one fit rock ya boat. Ok, your sins are forgiven. I release you nau! You can jump from one post to the other and continue vibrating there over wetin no concern you. You can see you have a lot do, so you better hurry.

Hope you are breathing well now.

Happy workings o! grin.

Done with you.

grin hehe
. Biko carry go. e don do.
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by pendo89(f): 9:49am On Dec 12, 2013
He is here in Kenya to celebrate Kenya's 50th Birthday.Big smile he's got. smiley
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:07am On Dec 12, 2013
Sagamite:

Really?

Please explain to me how SA is a highly clean nation, hence why you chose a highly clean man for your analogy.

Oh, really?

So policies could be corrupt?

But not all policies are corrupt?

And yet, you referred to Okonjo's policies in relation to corruption?

Please explain to me in clear terms how Okonjo has been corrupt through her policies, hence why you think I should have a problem with her the way I have a problem with Retardeen.

What good has the Subsidy deduction brought if not create more loots for corrupt individuals. The government claimed that money was lost due to the Subsidy but couldn't bring even one company to book.

Otedola showed it was just a stunt to extort money and madam Okonjo championed it.

Don't paint her as a clean person to steer Nigeria to greatness because she isn't. Taken money from the ECA was illegal in the name of subsidy.
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Biggyd2: 1:23pm On Dec 12, 2013
ocelot2006:

grin hehe
. Biko carry go. e don do.

See ya teeth! wink
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by kwametut: 12:18pm On Dec 13, 2013
Jonathan's issue has nothing to do with ECONOMICS.
Clarity for those who are trapped in GDP nonsence. GDP doesn't measure HDI Index, health, infrustructure and others. Hence GOLDMANS SACHS says GDP system is an outdated system of measuring "PROGRESS". SOUTH AFRICA IS 100 YEARS AHEAD OF NIGERIA INFRUSTRUCTURE, ELECTRICITY SUPPLY AND MANY THINGS. FACT NOT WISHY WASHY. PLEASE READ BELOW. grin grin grin grin grin

[b]I SAW THIS INTERESTING ARTICLE LAST NIGHT AND LAUGHED. grin grin grin grin grin grin
NIGERIA THE REGIONAL SUPER POWER NOT A GIANT OF AFRICA cry cry cry cry cry

There has been a great deal of attention paid to the rise of Nigeria as of late. Indeed, it is hard to ignore the impressive economic growth rates being posted at a time when most economies are on the decline. The government appears focused on improving government services and investing in high potential growth areas of the economy. President Goodluck Jonathan’s recent Transformation Agenda is an impressive document that many economists and analysts believe is setting the conditions for Nigeria to become the dominant economy on the African continent. The agenda emerged in 2011 out of a belief by President Jonathan that the government needed a sense of direction and a way to ensure the country’s development priorities were applied with continuity, consistency, and commitment – the so-called “3Cs”. cry cry cry cry

Such analysis of Nigeria’s trajectory is further understandable given the current distribution of economic and political power in the region. Today, there are three regional nodes of economic and political influence in Sub-Saharan Africa: South Africa, Nigeria, and Kenya. These three markets are the dominant players and generally act as hubs for continent-wide trade and commerce. They are also important interlocutors within their regions and across the continent via the African Union. Traditionally, South Africa has been the most dominant of the three, taking on leadership roles within the African Union and often representing the continent in international institutions like the United Nations Security Council. South Africa’s dominance in this respect continues, but many are now arguing that its position atop the hierarchy of African states is being economically threatened by Nigeria.

But what I find particularly remarkable about all the analyses is their failure to consider the political economy of Nigeria as a whole. Indeed, much of the contemporary analysis of Nigeria appears to gloss over, forget, or intentionally ignore some of the important structural issues that still confront it. I don’t mean to downplay the significant economic growth that Nigeria is experiencing, or of the plans to fix its problems – all of these are good things. However, it really is too soon to claim that Nigeria is posing any threat to the dominance of South Africa on the continent.

Whilst Nigeria is a hub for the movement of goods, South Africa’s capacity and infrastructure are still superior in many respects. A recent study coming out of the South African Institute of International Affairs, argues that geography and infrastructure make a real difference to economic growth potential. The study notes that South Africa still maintains a geographic advantage and advanced infrastructural capacity, ranging from deep-sea ports to container activity to strong logistics capacity, and that it is where many multinational companies have chosen to locate their headquarters. The study also warns that other countries are finding ways to improve market share of trade activity in Africa. All of these findings are correct, but the logical jump to assuming South Africa’s decline under Zuma and Nigeria’s rising dominance implied by these sorts of studies leaves me feeling skeptical for the following reasons:

First, even in light of Nigeria’s strong economic growth, its GDP is still far less than that of South Africa. In fact, we are talking about $164 billion less. Not an insignificant sum for two developing countries. Nigeria’s GDP currently sits at $244 billion whilst South Africa maintains a GDP of about $408 billion. With Nigeria’s annual growth rate of 7% that is an extra $16 billion coming into the Nigerian economy next year, in 2012 we have seen the decline of Nigeria's growth from 7% in 2011 to 6.5% and assuming growth continues on par as projected, this will have a compounded effect. In this context, it is going to take more than 20 years for Nigeria to catch up with South Africa’s economy, which is also growing at a (albeit more modest) rate of 3%. Note: with recent oil findings in Southern Africa, South Africas problems are almost done and they will rise and open the gap. This is a far lengthier period than the 2014 prediction made by some analysts, so it is quite possible that the economic fortunes of either state could change significantly. Indeed, it is believed that South African growth rates could increase if problems with labour unrest in the mining sector are resolved. This is entirely plausible if the Zuma administration negotiates a mutually acceptable plan with its union partners currently in the governing alliance. All this takes is political will.

So, Nigeria’s transition into dominance will be reliant on current growth rates, oil prices, and education investments remaining the same for the next ten years. This scenario doesn’t take into account any shifts in macroeconomic conditions or natural fluctuations in markets. As well, it assumes that Nigeria can solve some real challenges it faces with its business environment, primarily that of capital flight and corruption. Indeed, Nigeria is ranked 131 out of 185 countries as a place to do business and has stayed in the same spot for the past two years. In contrast, South Africa’s business environment has improved in the past year – it is now ranked 39th globally, a two spot jump from the 41st position that it maintained last year.

Nigeria remains rife with corruption despite efforts by the government to address it. Continentally, Nigeria is ranked 27 out of 53 states in terms of being a non-corrupt environment; internationally it is ranked 139 out of 176 countries, according to Transparency International. In contrast, South Africa ranks seventh within the region and 69th globally for non-corruption. Corruption in Nigeria is really a systemic issue and the challenge of tackling it cannot be underestimated; to do so would require sustained support from continental and international partners.

The rise of Nigeria will also be dependent on its ability to address socio-political challenges. Longstanding civil conflict due to insurgent groups, and struggles to put in place safeguard measures to protect human rights will also prevent Nigeria from becoming the dominant player on the continent. These challenges are real and if not addressed, will detract from Nigeria’s ability to assert its dominance through the use of force or through moral persuasion.

Political stability in Nigeria is still a major issue. Adding to the existing political divisions between the people in the North and South of the country are the threats that insurgent groups such as Boko Haram and Ansaru pose to stability. Indeed, the national and local level governments appear to be struggling to contain these groups that are committed to destabilizing the North and East and to undermining important development work such as the vaccinations against Polio. Civil conflict brought on by these insurgent groups and their effectiveness at undermining the authority of the state and instilling fear in the local population poses a real challenge to Nigeria’s rise as sorting out internal matters will divert attention and resources for engaging in regional or international issues. Nigeria’s inability to take leadership in intervening in regional conflicts to date, like Cote d’Ivoire and Mali, only highlight the difficulty it faces in projecting leadership outside of its borders. While it is expected that Nigeria will participate in stabilizing Mali through the provision of troops, its slow response has been surprising given its leadership role in the regional economic community of ECOWAS. South Africa, which is a reluctant intervenor in African conflicts, has committed $23 million in humanitarian aid and police training.

Finally, the Nigerian government continues to grapple with respecting human rights. Amnesty International recently released its annual report on Nigeria that notes the continuing prevalence of extrajudicial killings, enforced disappearances, forced evictions, and unlawful detention. As well, rights for the LGBTI community continue to be hindered as homosexuality is still illegal in Nigeria and the president is planning on signing the Same Sex Marriage (Prohibition) Bill that was passed by the Nigerian Senate in 2011. All of this impacts Nigeria’s ability to act as a moral actor on the continent and internationally. South Africa, on the other hand, continues to be a moral actor as a result of the strong human rights provisions within its constitution and the existence of a constitutional court that effectively upholds those provisions.

When considering the “rise” of countries, it is important to remember that influence and dominance are also determined by other socio-political conditions than just the economy. The political reality of Nigeria includes real efforts to improve economic conditions in the country but also persistent problems that, if left unresolved, will undermine its ability to influence and dominate in Africa. In this light, it is important that one-dimensional analyses based on economic growth figures be tempered and contextualized against the challenges the country faces. [/b][/b]

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by kwametut: 12:20pm On Dec 13, 2013
PROOF IS IN THE PUDDIN grin grin grin grin grin
Note SA supplies SADC countries power. FACT. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by kwametut: 12:33pm On Dec 13, 2013
If Nigeria's GDP was showing this we would clap for u. grin grin grin grin grin
This was just 2011 alot has is improving even Nigerian Finace minister OKONJO confessed on CNN SA has improved alot. She wished all this was happening in her country. grin grin

THOSE WHO WATCH CNN SAW WHAT SHE SAID ABOUT S.A. grin grin grin

OUR INFRUSTRUCTURE IS "WORLD CLASS FIRST WORLD STAFF". grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by kwametut: 12:37pm On Dec 13, 2013
To everyone GOODLUCK JONATHAN AND NIGERIAN LEADERS KNOW THEY ARE "FAMILY TO THEIR SOUTH AFRICAN BROTHERS". They don't need to prove that during FUNERALS. Jonathan didn't speak because of time. He has spoken in SA and met Madiba before I dont see the fuss about this. IN CAPE TOWN EARLIER THIS YEAR HE GOT A ROYAL WELCOME, Nigerian national anthem was played before the SA ANTHEM. Even Nairalanders liked this. wink wink wink wink wink wink

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by kwametut: 2:26pm On Dec 13, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Friends and brothers Thabo Mbekis personal friend OBJ, uncle Rob.

These 3 were demonised by the west for protecting Zimbabwe. grin grin

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Sagamite(m): 1:11am On Dec 17, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:

What good has the Subsidy deduction brought if not create more loots for corrupt individuals. The government claimed that money was lost due to the Subsidy but couldn't bring even one company to book.

Otedola showed it was just a stunt to extort money and madam Okonjo championed it.

Don't paint her as a clean person to steer Nigeria to greatness because she isn't. Taken money from the ECA was illegal in the name of subsidy.

You are a person!

I thought I told you to explain in clear terms?

So, in your moronic mind, you are saying Okonjo set up the policy to enrich herself or support corruption?

In your moronic mind, it is Okonjo that is responsible for charging people to court or is it Retardeen and his criminal Justice Minister that took part in the Etete loot?

Have you explained to me how South Africa is a highly clean nation?
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by niyitogun(m): 5:45pm On Dec 17, 2013
BluIvy:

Why should I tell you anything when google is free. Our inflation is lower than yours, our debt is lower than yours, we have an A+ international rating while your is BB-.

I agree with you dear. Most people here would argue with you based on sentiments but those who care about facts can check my link below for GDPs of African countries and also industrial GDP.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:17am On Dec 18, 2013
Sagamite:

You are a person!

So, in your moronic mind, you are saying Okonjo set up the policy to enrich herself or support corruption?

In your moronic mind, it is Okonjo that is responsible for charging people to court or is it Retardeen and his criminal Justice Minister that took part in the Etete loot?

Wonders shall never end. It is an analogy. People are saying Jonathan was not allowed to speak because Nigeria is corrrupt. I gave an analogy that a highly clean man can thank a criminal and the clean man won't be seen as dirty.

The analogy means that South Africa is not free of corruption and thanking Nigeria won't stain their image.

If I say, " Leave that man, even Pope will not be praised like that". I'm I equating the person in question as a pope?

If you spend more time reading than abusing, maybe you would understand the points.
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:22am On Dec 18, 2013
Sagamite:

You are a person!

As for Madam Okonjo, she stands for corrupt policies. The removal of subsidies in both AGO and PMS were not t lead t development but create room for more money to be looted.

She said the money would be used for infrastructural development and it wasn't used for it.

No mattr how much you abuse, any one upholding corrupt policies is corrupt.
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Nobody: 9:14am On Dec 18, 2013
thegoodjoehunt: As for Madam Okonjo, she stands for corrupt policies. The removal of subsidies in both AGO and PMS were not t lead t development but create room for more money to be looted.

She said the money would be used for infrastructural development and it wasn't used for it.

fuel subsidy was actually removed to discourage the rot and scam involved in the fuel to end user distribution chain

just as it was with nitel, then with the introduction of mtn, glo and co, that I how it would have been with fuel too.

for want of a better definition, iweala is more of a technocrat, albeit not in the technology or engineering sense, she advocates solutions to problems, she is neither a core Politician or a law enforcer, it is left to these people mentioned to discourage, prosecute and punish anybody taking advantage of the system, especially a new policy, otherwise any policy will fail even if advanced by adam smith himself
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by kwametut: 2:06pm On Dec 18, 2013
people tend to ignore this one. MEASURING HEAD BY HEAD. grin grin grin

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Nobody: 3:14pm On Dec 18, 2013
kwame tut: people tend to ignore this one. MEASURING HEAD BY HEAD. grin grin grin

you are a mow-rawn, a daughterfvcking mow-rawn

that is measurement per capita.....it doesn't mean shiiiit, its not worth the paper its written on.

china with its huge population will have a relatively low per capita income,.....

but most countries can mess with china.....what does that show you?

your post is worth approximately a warm bucket of spit
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by kwametut: 3:36pm On Dec 18, 2013
CHINA STILL HAS A HUGE CHUNCK OF THEIR POPULATION IN POVERTY. grin grin grin grin grin Again if ur familiar with POPULATION PROJECTIONS. By 2060 China population will decline due to aging, then things will start BALANCING. grin grin grin grin

CHINA RISE ISN'T FOREVER OOO. Russia, Canada are waiting. grin grin grin grin grin grin

AT SOME POINT CHINA WILL GO DOWN POPULATION WISE WITHOUT SOLVING "POVERTY". cry cry cry cry

rigormortis:

you are a mow-rawn, a daughterfvcking mow-rawn

that is measurement per capita.....it doesn't mean shiiiit, its not worth the paper its written on.

china with its huge population will have a relatively low per capita income,.....

but most countries can mess with china.....what does that show you?

your post is worth approximately a warm bucket of spit
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by kwametut: 3:39pm On Dec 18, 2013
PROBLEM STILL STANDS Rigomortis cry cry cry cry
u can kill urself if u want. GO HANG
grin grin grin grin grin grin

GDP DOESN'T COUNT INFRUSTRUCTURE, HEALTH,EDUCATION,ELECTRICITY AND OTHERS. grin grin grin grin grin

Clarity for those who are trapped in GDP nonsence. GDP doesn't measure HDI Index, health, infrustructure and others. Hence GOLDMANS SACHS says GDP system is an outdated system of measuring "PROGRESS". SOUTH AFRICA IS 100 YEARS AHEAD OF NIGERIA INFRUSTRUCTURE, ELECTRICITY SUPPLY AND MANY THINGS. FACT NOT WISHY WASHY. PLEASE READ BELOW. grin grin grin grin grin

[b]I SAW THIS INTERESTING ARTICLE LAST NIGHT AND LAUGHED. grin grin grin grin grin grin
NIGERIA THE REGIONAL SUPER POWER NOT A GIANT OF AFRICA cry cry cry cry cry

There has been a great deal of attention paid to the rise of Nigeria as of late. Indeed, it is hard to ignore the impressive economic growth rates being posted at a time when most economies are on the decline. The government appears focused on improving government services and investing in high potential growth areas of the economy. President Goodluck Jonathan’s recent Transformation Agenda is an impressive document that many economists and analysts believe is setting the conditions for Nigeria to become the dominant economy on the African continent. The agenda emerged in 2011 out of a belief by President Jonathan that the government needed a sense of direction and a way to ensure the country’s development priorities were applied with continuity, consistency, and commitment – the so-called “3Cs”. cry cry cry cry

Such analysis of Nigeria’s trajectory is further understandable given the current distribution of economic and political power in the region. Today, there are three regional nodes of economic and political influence in Sub-Saharan Africa: South Africa, Nigeria, and Kenya. These three markets are the dominant players and generally act as hubs for continent-wide trade and commerce. They are also important interlocutors within their regions and across the continent via the African Union. Traditionally, South Africa has been the most dominant of the three, taking on leadership roles within the African Union and often representing the continent in international institutions like the United Nations Security Council. South Africa’s dominance in this respect continues, but many are now arguing that its position atop the hierarchy of African states is being economically threatened by Nigeria.

But what I find particularly remarkable about all the analyses is their failure to consider the political economy of Nigeria as a whole. Indeed, much of the contemporary analysis of Nigeria appears to gloss over, forget, or intentionally ignore some of the important structural issues that still confront it. I don’t mean to downplay the significant economic growth that Nigeria is experiencing, or of the plans to fix its problems – all of these are good things. However, it really is too soon to claim that Nigeria is posing any threat to the dominance of South Africa on the continent.

Whilst Nigeria is a hub for the movement of goods, South Africa’s capacity and infrastructure are still superior in many respects. A recent study coming out of the South African Institute of International Affairs, argues that geography and infrastructure make a real difference to economic growth potential. The study notes that South Africa still maintains a geographic advantage and advanced infrastructural capacity, ranging from deep-sea ports to container activity to strong logistics capacity, and that it is where many multinational companies have chosen to locate their headquarters. The study also warns that other countries are finding ways to improve market share of trade activity in Africa. All of these findings are correct, but the logical jump to assuming South Africa’s decline under Zuma and Nigeria’s rising dominance implied by these sorts of studies leaves me feeling skeptical for the following reasons:

First, even in light of Nigeria’s strong economic growth, its GDP is still far less than that of South Africa. In fact, we are talking about $164 billion less. Not an insignificant sum for two developing countries. Nigeria’s GDP currently sits at $244 billion whilst South Africa maintains a GDP of about $408 billion. With Nigeria’s annual growth rate of 7% that is an extra $16 billion coming into the Nigerian economy next year, in 2012 we have seen the decline of Nigeria's growth from 7% in 2011 to 6.5% and assuming growth continues on par as projected, this will have a compounded effect. In this context, it is going to take more than 20 years for Nigeria to catch up with South Africa’s economy, which is also growing at a (albeit more modest) rate of 3%. Note: with recent oil findings in Southern Africa, South Africas problems are almost done and they will rise and open the gap. This is a far lengthier period than the 2014 prediction made by some analysts, so it is quite possible that the economic fortunes of either state could change significantly. Indeed, it is believed that South African growth rates could increase if problems with labour unrest in the mining sector are resolved. This is entirely plausible if the Zuma administration negotiates a mutually acceptable plan with its union partners currently in the governing alliance. All this takes is political will.

So, Nigeria’s transition into dominance will be reliant on current growth rates, oil prices, and education investments remaining the same for the next ten years. This scenario doesn’t take into account any shifts in macroeconomic conditions or natural fluctuations in markets. As well, it assumes that Nigeria can solve some real challenges it faces with its business environment, primarily that of capital flight and corruption. Indeed, Nigeria is ranked 131 out of 185 countries as a place to do business and has stayed in the same spot for the past two years. In contrast, South Africa’s business environment has improved in the past year – it is now ranked 39th globally, a two spot jump from the 41st position that it maintained last year.

Nigeria remains rife with corruption despite efforts by the government to address it. Continentally, Nigeria is ranked 27 out of 53 states in terms of being a non-corrupt environment; internationally it is ranked 139 out of 176 countries, according to Transparency International. In contrast, South Africa ranks seventh within the region and 69th globally for non-corruption. Corruption in Nigeria is really a systemic issue and the challenge of tackling it cannot be underestimated; to do so would require sustained support from continental and international partners.

The rise of Nigeria will also be dependent on its ability to address socio-political challenges. Longstanding civil conflict due to insurgent groups, and struggles to put in place safeguard measures to protect human rights will also prevent Nigeria from becoming the dominant player on the continent. These challenges are real and if not addressed, will detract from Nigeria’s ability to assert its dominance through the use of force or through moral persuasion.

Political stability in Nigeria is still a major issue. Adding to the existing political divisions between the people in the North and South of the country are the threats that insurgent groups such as Boko Haram and Ansaru pose to stability. Indeed, the national and local level governments appear to be struggling to contain these groups that are committed to destabilizing the North and East and to undermining important development work such as the vaccinations against Polio. Civil conflict brought on by these insurgent groups and their effectiveness at undermining the authority of the state and instilling fear in the local population poses a real challenge to Nigeria’s rise as sorting out internal matters will divert attention and resources for engaging in regional or international issues. Nigeria’s inability to take leadership in intervening in regional conflicts to date, like Cote d’Ivoire and Mali, only highlight the difficulty it faces in projecting leadership outside of its borders. While it is expected that Nigeria will participate in stabilizing Mali through the provision of troops, its slow response has been surprising given its leadership role in the regional economic community of ECOWAS. South Africa, which is a reluctant intervenor in African conflicts, has committed $23 million in humanitarian aid and police training.

Finally, the Nigerian government continues to grapple with respecting human rights. Amnesty International recently released its annual report on Nigeria that notes the continuing prevalence of extrajudicial killings, enforced disappearances, forced evictions, and unlawful detention. As well, rights for the LGBTI community continue to be hindered as homosexuality is still illegal in Nigeria and the president is planning on signing the Same Sex Marriage (Prohibition) Bill that was passed by the Nigerian Senate in 2011. All of this impacts Nigeria’s ability to act as a moral actor on the continent and internationally. South Africa, on the other hand, continues to be a moral actor as a result of the strong human rights provisions within its constitution and the existence of a constitutional court that effectively upholds those provisions.

When considering the “rise” of countries, it is important to remember that influence and dominance are also determined by other socio-political conditions than just the economy. The political reality of Nigeria includes real efforts to improve economic conditions in the country but also persistent problems that, if left unresolved, will undermine its ability to influence and dominate in Africa. In this light, it is important that one-dimensional analyses based on economic growth figures be tempered and contextualized against the challenges the country faces. [/b][/b]

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Sagamite(m): 10:42pm On Dec 18, 2013
thegoodjoehunt: Wonders shall never end. It is an analogy. People are saying Jonathan was not allowed to speak because Nigeria is corrrupt. I gave an analogy that a highly clean man can thank a criminal and the clean man won't be seen as dirty.

The analogy means that South Africa is not free of corruption and thanking Nigeria won't stain their image.

If I say, " Leave that man, even Pope will not be praised like that". I'm I equating the person in question as a pope?

If you spend more time reading than abusing, maybe you would understand the points.

You are a person!

I have always said fucktards struggle with analogies:

https://www.nairaland.com/1094114/what-occupies-minds-atheists-24/4#12884413

Cretin, pious people (which you termed as "clean"wink are suppose to be forgiven, whether it stains them or not. That does not mean all men should and it does not make sense to make an analogy between pious and ordinary.

Secondly, the point was not about staining SA, it was about a cretinous crook not commanding enough respect to be given such a privilege.

thegoodjoehunt: As for Madam Okonjo, she stands for corrupt policies. The removal of subsidies in both AGO and PMS were not t lead t development but create room for more money to be looted.

You are a pure person!

Did you pull this daft conjectures from your arsse?

You are so steewpid, I don't even know where to start with this moronic junk you spewed!

You are too moronic to even start! I can't be bothered with the Alaba analytics a person like you will pull from your arsse!

You are a definition of cretin!
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:40pm On Dec 18, 2013
Have a drink and relax. LOL.
Sagamite:

You are a person!

I have always said fucktards struggle with analogies:

https://www.nairaland.com/1094114/what-occupies-minds-atheists-24/4#12884413

Cretin, pious people (which you termed as "clean"wink are suppose to be forgiven, whether it stains them or not. That does not mean all men should and it does not make sense to make an analogy between pious and ordinary.

Secondly, the point was not about staining SA, it was about a cretinous crook not commanding enough respect to be given such a privilege.

You are a pure person!

Did you pull this daft conjectures from your arsse?

You are so steewpid, I don't even know where to start with this moronic junk you spewed!

You are too moronic to even start! I can't be bothered with the Alaba analytics a person like you will pull from your arsse!

You are a definition of cretin!
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:50pm On Dec 18, 2013
The subsidy was removed to protect a scam that has not been proven to exist. Otedola said that it was a lie, there is no way one can collect money from the government to supply petroleum and not do it.

As for now, after the removal of the subsidy, more money was spent on subsidies. Who is Madam Okonjo and co. deceiving. Till she and her cohorts can actually bring out proof of funds being wasted on subsidies, I won't see her as a solution but part of the problem.

Imagine them releasing a company (zenon) that only deals on AGO as part of the companies that looted funds from PMS. Is that not a total sham?

Removal of subsidy isn't privatization but government adding more cost on the people to get more loot for the government to get drunk with.
rigormortis:

fuel subsidy was actually removed to discourage the rot and scam involved in the fuel to end user distribution chain

just as it was with nitel, then with the introduction of mtn, glo and co, that I how it would have been with fuel too.

for want of a better definition, iweala is more of a technocrat, albeit not in the technology or engineering sense, she advocates solutions to problems, she is neither a core Politician or a law enforcer, it is left to these people mentioned to discourage, prosecute and punish anybody taking advantage of the system, especially a new policy, otherwise any policy will fail even if advanced by adam smith himself
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:02am On Dec 19, 2013
Madam Iweala thinks people don't reason. She makes it look as if removing subsidies will wave a magic wand and change the system. Behind her tales, the truth is that the cycle is the same. The partial removal of the subsidy led to nothing. Her and her cohorts even had to deep their hands into the ECA to create an illusion of the SURE-P project yielding dividends.

Even with a total subsidy removal, government will still assist marketers to import fuel. The only difference is that the people pay 100%.
rigormortis:

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Nsikelelo(m): 1:35pm On Jan 01, 2014
ceo4eva: Despite leaving Nigeria early for the funeral of late South African leader, Nelson Mandela, President Goodluck Jonathan has been snubbed by the South African authorities at the State Memorial Service of the anti-apartheid leader.

An official release of programmes during the memorial service shows that the Nigerian president was missing on the list of world leaders billed to give tributes. The world leaders who will be giving tributes are, United State President, Barack Obama; President Dilma Rousseff of Brazil; Vice-President Li Yuanchao of China; President Hifikepunye Pohamba of Namibia; President Pranab Mukherjee of India; and President Raúl Castro Ruz of Cuba.

Other leaders billed to give tributes are the United Nations Secretary-General, Ban Ki-Moon; and the African Union Commission Chair, Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma.

Though Mr. Jonathan is not the only head of state that would not give tribute- there are about 90 heads of state attending the funeral, the apparent snub handed Mr. Jonathan also appears to rubbish the enormous effort played by Nigeria to bring an end to apartheid in South Africa at a time when Western governments were pussyfooting to pressure the apartheid government to renounce its policy of segregation and its brutal abuses against the black majority. Some Western governments including the U.S. had even designated the ruling Africa National Congress (ANC) as a terrorist organisation, and Mandela a terrorist.

This point was also highlighted by the Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, on Monday in a chat with journalists.
“There are more questions to answer. When you look at the part of the world where ovation is now the loudest, it was the part of the world the pain was the most vicious. In a very cruel irony, history is being revised.

“The people, who collaborated with the government that enthroned apartheid at that time, are the people that are paying the biggest tributes now. But I ask myself: is this not the time for deep reflection? I doubt if any African country expended as much time, as much money and as much commitment as the Nigerian Government.

“I was a teenager then in 1976 when anti-apartheid campaign really gained resurgence in every home in this country. Nigeria paid a huge price for what South Africa has become today. I remember the anti-apartheid campaign was at the core of Nigerian foreign policy.

“Apart from scholarship given to South Africans, I remember President Yar’Adua met Thabo Mbeki in South Africa and he was telling me about their relationship, which he said was dated to when Mbeki used to come to Zaria for student exchange programme. I remember we did not go for Commonwealth Games because of South Africa. I remember we took drastic measures against the foreign collaborators of apartheid regime and nationalised assets.”

However, Lagos-based lawyer, Jiti Ogunye, says Nigerian politicians are to be blame for the pedestrian level the country presently occupies in the international community. He says the complete atrophy of the respect the country was accorded in global affairs was as a result of years of misrule and corruption by the country’s politicians.

“Nigeria has lost its social, political and economic glory domestically and that glory that is lost cannot be recovered at Mandela’s funeral,” he said.

“While Nigeria officialdom maybe in a state of discomfiture by the non-recognition of Nigeria in the protocol of the funeral, the point is that it is not what Nigeria did for South Africa or for Angola or for any of the frontline states like Namibia that Nigeria will be remembered. It not the support Nigeria gave to the ANC… that Nigeria will be recognised by, it is what Nigeria has done for itself and what Nigeria has not done for itself. And we’ve done a lot against ourselves. Look at our country; our country is broken in many respects and no you’re talking about xenophobia, what led to it? Nigerian young people go overseas and become criminals the way we are criminals in our own country.

People leave the shore of Nigeria to be criminals outside our shores. Right from the time they leave Nigeria they’re going overseas to be criminals. We are exporting blue-collar crimes and Yahoo Yahoo to all sorts of countries, to Malaysia and are we blaming those countries for our own woes?
“How you will be regarded abroad is determined by how you’re regarded at home. Now how is the Nigeria state regarded by Nigerians? The Nigerian state is regarded by Nigerian as an uncaring state, as a heartless state, as a state that has no love for its people, as a state that has abandoned its people. So how has the Nigerian state treated its own people before we start taking offence at how the Nigerian state is treated by another country?

“Those who may be belly-aching about not being giving recognition by the organisers of the funeral of Mandela should know that while they may not be regarded, the South African people regard Nigeria. Go and read all the accounts, the role that is played by Nigerians is recognised in all those imperishable works and this cannot be obliterated by this treatment that is accorded to Nigerian officials that we at home have contempt for.

If we are disgraced outside, that disgrace didn’t come from outside that disgrace come from within because we have disgraced and debased ourselves. Do you expect anybody to take you seriously when what your rulers are known for is taking your money and cashing them away? In fact it s better they are humiliated outside so that they can come back home and be serious. If bad people are accorded all the respect and dignity that good people should be accorded how do you think they will change.”

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/151219-jonathan-snubbed-mandelas-memorial.html
As a South African citizen,I would like to stress my greatest gratitude to you the Nigerian people for the part that you have played in the liberating of our country, but I must say that I feel a bit disappointed at the nationalism that has been displayed here by down grading the roles that other African countries played in helping to end apartheid. We saw in Angola an act of selflessness by the Cuban people when Fidel Castro sent in well over 36000 troops,doctors and nurses to literary fight the then government of South Africa,thousands died. We saw the first president of Mozambique being murdered by the apartheid government for helping train ANC fighters,we saw Zambia being bombed for harvering ANC "terrorists",we saw Algeria train people like Nelson Mandela as the first rebel leader of the ANC's armed wing,Ethiopia,Libiya,Tunisia,Russia,Norway,Tanzania,Lesotho,Namibia,Swaziland,Botswana etc. All these countries had major rolls that they played in our struggle,some suffered immensely,but none of them have loaded themselves the way Nigeria has,this should make you stop and think why? Do not put yourselves in a bad spotlight my brothers and sisters.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

DJ Switch To Canadian Parliament: How Soldiers Shot At Us At Lekki Toll Gate / Bolu Akin-olugbade Dies Of COVID-19 / General Obasanjo With President Jimmy Carter (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.