Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,127 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:19 AM

Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! (29405 Views)

Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria / My Lexus Gs300 Check Engine, Vsc, Vsc Off Light Is On. How Do I Wipe It Off? / Why Toyota Corolla (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by ceaser: 8:54pm On Dec 14, 2013
saxywale: the closest car to a toyota that i can buy in Nigeria would be a pontiac vibe.
Or any of the Lexus brands, especially the SUVs as they are practically Toyotas but in luxury form factor. The RX series share parts with highlander, camry and avalon. Good thing is, they come cheaper than regular Toyotas (RX 300 and RX 330 are cheaper than highlanders and prados of the same year) simply because they're scarce on Nigerian roads and demand for 'em is low which drives their price down.

And like you said, the pontiac is a perfect and sensible alternative. It's practically a corolla (and Toyota matrix) engine under the hood and you're even assured of getting more with less money. The pontiac vibe is around 200k to 250k cheaper than a matrix of the same year and being an American branded car, you get more options and automation (230v in-dash port, 4wd option, etc) than the regular Toyota matrix. Pontiac stopped vibe production in 2010 and the production plant in the US was taken over by Toyota for manufacturing of the matrix.

Another good alternative would also be Dihatsu brand which has been bought by Toyota but it's mostly in right hand drive. Attached is a picture of dihatsu altis version of '03 camry (big daddy) with more options than the regular "big daddy" and it costs less.

Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by Nobody: 9:10pm On Dec 14, 2013
ceaser: ...The RX series share parts with highlander, camry and avalon. Good thing is, they come cheaper than regular Toyotas (RX 300 and RX 330 are cheaper than highlanders and prados of the same year) simply because they're scarce on Nigerian roads and demand for 'em is low which drives their price down...
I disagree with you on this. RX330 2005 is presently going for about 3m to 3.5m this is same price at which you will buy a good 2007-2008 highlander (I'm talking from experience and market survey). lexus GX470 is more expensive than a toyota prado of same year. They have more luxury gadgets in them than toyota, except when you scale to the highest trim level where all options list are checked.
Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by Nobody: 9:33pm On Dec 14, 2013
I used to praise toyota camry till i met the big brother Toyota sienna.

Inspite of gear box issues, i trust toyota sienna for life...

Had a recent 8 hour trip in a camry 2000, i disliked the experience but a 1998 sienna will never dissappoint with elements of luxury and road handling..

@topic, make una install sim card nah...
Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 14, 2013
vicoloni: I have been privileged to use almost every popular models of vehicle and honestly I still don't understand why Toyota is overhyped. Try Ford vehicles and you'll be glad you did.
Rugged. Serious engine work. Don't tell me its too expensive to maintain. Either high or low maintenance the truth is most Nigerians knows nothing about car maintenance.

Yeah, most nigerians know nothing about car maintenance.

My mechanic was telling stories of his customers who dont know their automatic cars have gear box. One drove in at that point with a car whose gear box had not been serviced for more than two years... We laughed very hard.

We only tend to learn after a mishap. I personally started maintaining my cars after losing a camry engine due to carelessness. That is Nigerians for you...
Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by Nobody: 9:57pm On Dec 14, 2013
greggng: All u need is jesus I ve being riding mine for 5 years now twice I ve given robbers my car key but they simply told me they don't need it. Infact 3 big olive oil was used for prayers the very day I bought it and one was emptied on the engine and another kept permanently on the dash board. Finally a blessed cross is in front.to be honest it helps more than car tracker. They will never come close to your car

I agree with you. God is the actual protetction we need. I dont shy away from leaving a holy bible on my dashboard.

Some guys were almost cursing when i came for car recovery after abandoning my broken down toyota car for 3 good days out of annoyance close to a highway. I noticed hands on the doors and the boot. But they couldnt open the car even with the spare tyre showing clearly inside the car...

Four of them were warning me, ''dont you ever keep your car here next time''.

But the kind prayer i pray for that car those 3 days no get part 2...

2 Likes

Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by Meteng: 2:43am On Dec 15, 2013
obo389: Cos d engines are mostly used for speed boats transporting system in dis part of 9ja.
Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by 3ace(m): 9:43am On Dec 15, 2013
kkokoma: U guys fear 2 much, been driving camry big light for one and half year now, no stress. When I wanted to buy people were saying they are always being stolen, do not let fear stop u driving the car u like. Its like not going to the bank because robbers raid there, or not crossing the road because pedestrians get knocked down
Exactly what I told them earlier. Don't deprive yourself of what you like because of worries and negative thoughts. Many a people are not bothered about this phobia and have been driving theirs for years.
Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by Gagason(m): 10:17am On Dec 15, 2013
Sincere truth be told I hate that care...its just like a wheel barrow. shitty interior just like its younger brother (the big 4 nothing series),

Anyways never being a fan of Toyota except their Sequoia and could manage the avensis sha,
Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by Nobody: 11:35am On Dec 15, 2013
what i'm saying is that the keys for this particular car opens each other mostly.
Eyop:

So because someone displayed his foolishness as a result of being drunk now means inverted hammer should sell his own car or did inverted hammer mention to you that he's a drunk like your friend? undecided undecided
Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by Nobody: 11:50am On Dec 15, 2013
3ace: you still won't like to be unhappy as a result of buying a car you don't like simply because it is less stolen.

There are too many makes and models of cars for the OP to be unhappy, if he / she bought an alternative to the almost obligatory Camry. Like in over 2 million makes and models, he / she won't like any? Unless you're saying life is incomplete, without ownership of a Toyota Camry?
Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by Nobody: 12:13pm On Dec 15, 2013
Da_b¤§§.:
who ask you?

Are you saying all posts here (yours included) required "special permission" before they were made? If the poster of the Mercedes-Benz SLK had posted a picture of his beat-up Toyota Camry, you wouldn't have reacted the way you did.

Sounds like a case of the green-eyed monster and sours grapes, on your part.
Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by Fajzay: 3:53pm On Dec 15, 2013
Eyop: Bro forget about that car because my very close friend's own was stolen at gunpoint at Mafoluku. When he narrated the ordeal to me,he swore never to buy any Toyota vehicle again. The same armed robbers that robbed him also snatched 2 Toyota Corolla,1 Camry(his own which was over a year old),1 Toyota Highlander and 1 Toyota Rav4. His own was the worst because he lied to them that there's no security installed in the vehicle thinking they will just kick him out of the car but he never knew they will drive it with him but after like 30mins of driving,the vehicle was off and that was how they knew that it has a security installed. He said they beat the hell out of him grin grin and after he showed them,they threw him out only with his boxers.

So why buy a car that you won't be able to go out at anytime.

One bad practice thats common to Nigerias is overlooking the benefits of insurance. All you need to do is do a comprehensive insurance for your vehicle from a reputable insurance company (Likes of Lead Insurance, Mutual Benefits etc). If by any chance you are unlucky and robbed, answer their questions, dont try to be smart cos you could loose your life in the process, show them the security if it has any and still have your life. Afterwards, make the report to the police station, contact your insurance company and get your vehicle / insured amount back.

Alternatively, you can have a car tracker that can be installed and once you are let off the hook, call the service provider and let them know exact location of the vehicle and car can be shutdown. Goodluck!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by Fajzay: 3:55pm On Dec 15, 2013
okpara ugo:

I agree with you. God is the actual protetction we need. I dont shy away from leaving a holy bible on my dashboard.

Some guys were almost cursing when i came for car recovery after abandoning my broken down toyota car for 3 good days out of annoyance close to a highway. I noticed hands on the doors and the boot. But they couldnt open the car even with the spare tyre showing clearly inside the car...

Four of them were warning me, ''dont you ever keep your car here next time''.

But the kind prayer i pray for that car those 3 days no get part 2...

Why would you leave your car somewhere for 3 days ... U might not be that favoured / lucky next time. Wisdom is profitable!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by Eyop: 4:03pm On Dec 15, 2013
Fajzay:

One bad practice thats common to Nigerias is overlooking the benefits of insurance. All you need to do is do a comprehensive insurance for your vehicle from a reputable insurance company (Likes of Lead Insurance, Mutual Benefits etc). If by any chance you are unlucky and robbed, answer their questions, dont try to be smart cos you could loose your life in the process, show them the security if it has any and still have your life. Afterwards, make the report to the police station, contact your insurance company and get your vehicle / insured amount back.

Alternatively, you can have a car tracker that can be installed and once you are let off the hook, call the service provider and let them know exact location of the vehicle and car can be shutdown. Goodluck!!!

We agree that getting a comprehensive insurance done on a vehicle is ok but what about in the case where one is killed even after showing them the necessary securities installed in the vehicle? Armed robbers sometimes kill because they are aware that immediately they kick the owner out of the vehicle,he or she will contact the service provider so to avoid the issue of shutting down the vehicle they will kill. The best bet is to avoid such vehicles that attracts the armed robbers.

2 Likes

Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by Fajzay: 4:04pm On Dec 15, 2013
Eyop:

You took a very wise decision my brother. We agree that companies will do a comprehensive insurance on any official car they own but my problem is that sometimes the armed robbers might result to killing just like you mentioned that the guy had his leg shattered. No one will look at your Hyundai tucson so enjoy your ride. Most times i don't blame those that buy Kia or Hyundai even though i don't like them. my choice is Mercedes Benz and will always remain so for a very long time.

What is laptop compared to one's life? Never argue with a gunman ... let it go, you can buy another one. Did he get the laptop after his legs were shattered? I'll say NO!!!
Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by Fajzay: 4:08pm On Dec 15, 2013
sarcoma: Bros comprehensive insurance on a 1999 car did u consider the cost

Premium payment for comprehensive insurance in Nigeria is a % of the car's value and trust me you can even get it as low as 3.5% in Nigeria today. You can also note that its going to be applied only to the declared value of your car, some undervalue theirs while some overvalue theirs. So if you insured you pencil like on a value of 1M, you will be paying between 35K-50K annually. Which to me is small if you can afford to buy a 1M car
Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by Fajzay: 4:16pm On Dec 15, 2013
Eyop:

We agree that getting a comprehensive insurance done on a vehicle is ok but what about in the case where one is killed even after showing them the necessary securities installed in the vehicle? Armed robbers sometimes kill because they are aware that immediately they kick the owner out of the vehicle,he or she will contact the service provider so to avoid the issue of shutting down the vehicle they will kill. The best bet is to avoid such vehicles that attracts the armed robbers.

You knw some robbers are just trigger happy / blood thirsty ... People don't have control over what the gunman would do and why he would do it. You knw. Many have been killed without even owning a car. could be passenger of commercial vehicle, could be someone robbed in an alley etc. Sometimes some cars are snatched at gun point just to go carry out an operation and afterwards abandoned. The make and model doesnt even matter in this case, they just need a sharp getaway ride. Toyota / no Toyota. May God save us all in that country

1 Like

Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by Otu2014: 1:43pm On Dec 17, 2013
Good day All,
Please, can somebody help me and tell me the price to clear a Toyota Highlander 2007 and a Toyota Sienna 2001. Also I need a good clearing agent.
Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by 3ace(m): 5:19pm On Dec 20, 2013
Siena:

There are too many makes and models of cars for the OP to be unhappy, if he / she bought an alternative to the almost obligatory Camry. Like in over 2 million makes and models, he / she won't like any? Unless you're saying life is incomplete, without ownership of a Toyota Camry?
Ofcourse, there are several cars that will always make him happy apart from the popularly adored Camry in this part of the world. But if you read the OP's post again, you'll realise that the 1999 Camry is his dream car which is already on it way to his house. Hence, Camry is the car that he feels will make him happy. He has only thrown the issue of theft to the house for deliberation and I have only encouraged him to go ahead and use it since it makes him happy. The point here is that we are talking about what the OP likes and not just anybody's desire.
Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by ramdris(m): 1:28pm On Jul 07, 2014
datmix: Don't bother buying it... Mine was stolen at gun point
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by lemmyt(m): 3:00pm On Jul 07, 2014
vicoloni: I have been privileged to use almost every popular models of vehicle and honestly I still don't understand why Toyota is overhyped. Try Ford vehicles and you'll be glad you did.
Rugged. Serious engine work. Don't tell me its too expensive to maintain. Either high or low maintenance the truth is most Nigerians knows nothing about car maintenance.

You are very correct sir! Just got a ford focus last month and I am glad i did. I can drive with absolute rest of mind. I actually wanted to get camry tiny light but almost everybody I consulted advised me against buying it due to high rate of its theft. Ford is a great ride!
Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by nathdim: 1:19pm On Jul 09, 2014
chucky234: I hate that car and big for nothing model from the very first time I set my eyes on both, wack cars with bland interiors.
is big for nothing easily stolen as well because I plan on getting one
Re: Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! by chucky234(m): 4:49pm On Jul 09, 2014
nathdim: is big for nothing easily stolen as well because I plan on getting one
Go ahead and get one because robbers dont even know it exist.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Experience Travelling With An IVM Vehicle.. / Duties On Tokunbo Cars To Be Reduced - Kemi Adeosun / My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.