Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,497 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:31 PM

Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? (49821 Views)

Does Driving With The AC On Actually Use More Fuel? / A Car With Ankara Paint / My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by domack99(m): 7:07am On Dec 12, 2013
Is this really a very very bad thing to do or just a caution that if taken could help your can mechanism in a long while. I also learn that in most modern can with fuel injection system, it's not a big deal to start your can with the A/C on but mostly advisable to always turn off your A/C a minute or two before turning of the car ignition. Is this not supposed to be the other way round?

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by fr3do(m): 7:19am On Dec 12, 2013
The car's ignition already draws enough current.
By leaving ur a/c on during ignition you are killing your battery.
Soon,you would have to replace it.

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by domack99(m): 7:36am On Dec 12, 2013
fr3do: The car's ignition already draaws enough current.
By leaving or a/c on during ignition you are killing your battery.
Soon,you would have to replace it.

But for modern cars with fuel injection, the PCM won't engage the compressor clutch until the engine has started and the idle has settled. since the PCM and not the switch is what will determine when the compressor will engage. so what exactly will be killing the battery

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by abatically(m): 8:14am On Dec 12, 2013
For cars with climate control, the compressor don't get engaged until after about 30 secs of starting the engine. For such cars it doesnt matter if u start the car with the ac on or not... But its just a good habit to turn off everything (headlights, ac, stereo, etc) before turning off car. For cars with manual ac, starting the car with the ac on adds extra load to the car as the compressor kicks as soon as the car is started.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by ignis: 8:28am On Dec 12, 2013
Its a very bad practise to your health, not just the car alone.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by domack99(m): 8:42am On Dec 12, 2013
ignis: Its a very bad practise to your health, not just the car alone.

To the health; can you expatiate?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by fr3do(m): 9:49am On Dec 12, 2013
domack99:

But for modern cars with fuel injection, the PCM won't engage the compressor clutch until the engine has started and the idle has settled. since the PCM and not the switch is what will determine when the compressor will engage. so what exactly will be killing the battery

You sound more knowledgeable about cars than I am

1 Like

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by sEGXY2(m): 5:32pm On Dec 12, 2013
Men it drains ma ba3 alot
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by amiskurie(m): 5:36pm On Dec 12, 2013
I swear I'm the guiltiest. grin
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 12, 2013
I'll comment again when I buy a car.
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by kazmanbanjoko(m): 5:36pm On Dec 12, 2013
Yes, it isn't good. It makes my battery go low

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by penzino(m): 5:36pm On Dec 12, 2013
It will drain ur bat3 in seconds
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Dec 12, 2013
In modern cars, there is a few seconds time lag before the ac or radio kicks in and this serves to protect your battery
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Odward(m): 5:42pm On Dec 12, 2013
Ahn ahn,is dat person a dummy just like saying switching on d generator with the plug on won't home appliances get spoiled so i advice against d use of such method even if doesn't spoil immediately it would tell on d engine later.tanks
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by lonelydora: 5:56pm On Dec 12, 2013
I'm waiting for Siena and Ikenna351 to comment before I comment.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by mu2sa2: 5:56pm On Dec 12, 2013
domack99:

To the health; can you expanciate?
"expanciate" is not an English word; the English word is "expatiate".

7 Likes

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Psychedelia(m): 6:00pm On Dec 12, 2013
In my car, there's an auto-delay (about 20 seconds) after you've started the car, before the AC itself turns on.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Milikiman: 6:04pm On Dec 12, 2013
hmmmmn I'm not so sure maybe on da ba3 or da engine but I no its not gud enof just like starting a gen with every appliances already on
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by calddon(m): 6:14pm On Dec 12, 2013
angry
mu2sa2: "expanciate" is not an English word; the English word is "expatiate".
when you lecturers refused to call of the strike, what do you expect?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Tmex(m): 6:17pm On Dec 12, 2013
I only know about the health implications‎​ of having your CAR AIR CONDITIONER turned on immediately the engine starts, and could be responsible for why more folks are dying from cancer than ever before. We wonder where this stuff comes from but here is an example that explains a lot of the cancer causing incidents. Many people are in their cars first thing in the morning and the last thing at night, 7 days a week. Please do NOT turn on A/C as soon as you enter the car. Open the windows after you enter your car and turn ON the A/C after a couple of minutes. Here's why: According to a research, the dashboard emits Benzene, a cancer-causing toxin (carcinogen - take time to observe the smell of heated plastic in your car). In addition to causing cancer, Benzene poisons your bones, causes anaemia and reduces white blood cells. Prolonged exposure will cause Leukaemia, increasing the risk of cancer and Can also cause miscarriage. Acceptable Benzene level indoors is 50 mg per sq. ft. A car parked indoors with windows closed will contain 400-800 mg of Benzene. If parked outdoors under the sun at a temperature above 70 degrees F, the Benzene level goes up to 2000-4000 mg, 40 times the acceptable level. People who get into the car, keeping windows closed will inevitably inhale, in quick succession, excessive amounts of the toxin. Benzene is a toxin that affects your kidney and liver. What's worse, it is extremely difficult for your body to expel this toxic stuff. So, please open the windows and doors of your car and give time for the deadly interior air to clear out before you enter.

10 Likes

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by 4reigningqueen: 6:21pm On Dec 12, 2013
oh Lord! When will i become a car owner so that i can contribute.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Sohot1(m): 6:35pm On Dec 12, 2013
It's sure very bad.... jst take caution!
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Secularist: 6:37pm On Dec 12, 2013
What about a 2013 Kia Rio, is that bad for it?
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Psychedelia(m): 6:39pm On Dec 12, 2013
Tmex: I only know about the health implications‎​ of having your CAR AIR CONDITIONER turned on immediately the engine starts, and could be responsible for why more folks are dying from cancer than ever before. We wonder where this stuff comes from but here is an example that explains a lot of the cancer causing incidents. Many people are in their cars first thing in the morning and the last thing at night, 7 days a week. Please do NOT turn on A/C as soon as you enter the car. Open the windows after you enter your car and turn ON the A/C after a couple of minutes. Here's why: According to a research, the dashboard emits Benzene, a cancer-causing toxin (carcinogen - take time to observe the smell of heated plastic in your car). In addition to causing cancer, Benzene poisons your bones, causes anaemia and reduces white blood cells. Prolonged exposure will cause Leukaemia, increasing the risk of cancer and Can also cause miscarriage. Acceptable Benzene level indoors is 50 mg per sq. ft. A car parked indoors with windows closed will contain 400-800 mg of Benzene. If parked outdoors under the sun at a temperature above 70 degrees F, the Benzene level goes up to 2000-4000 mg, 40 times the acceptable level. People who get into the car, keeping windows closed will inevitably inhale, in quick succession, excessive amounts of the toxin. Benzene is a toxin that affects your kidney and liver. What's worse, it is extremely difficult for your body to expel this toxic stuff. So, please open the windows and doors of your car and give time for the deadly interior air to clear out before you enter.

Jeez!!! Thanks for this.
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Secularist: 6:45pm On Dec 12, 2013
Tmex: I only know about the health implications‎​ of having your CAR AIR CONDITIONER turned on immediately the engine starts, and could be responsible for why more folks are dying from cancer than ever before. We wonder where this stuff comes from but here is an example that explains a lot of the cancer causing incidents. Many people are in their cars first thing in the morning and the last thing at night, 7 days a week. Please do NOT turn on A/C as soon as you enter the car. Open the windows after you enter your car and turn ON the A/C after a couple of minutes. Here's why: According to a research, the dashboard emits Benzene, a cancer-causing toxin (carcinogen - take time to observe the smell of heated plastic in your car). In addition to causing cancer, Benzene poisons your bones, causes anaemia and reduces white blood cells. Prolonged exposure will cause Leukaemia, increasing the risk of cancer and Can also cause miscarriage. Acceptable Benzene level indoors is 50 mg per sq. ft. A car parked indoors with windows closed will contain 400-800 mg of Benzene. If parked outdoors under the sun at a temperature above 70 degrees F, the Benzene level goes up to 2000-4000 mg, 40 times the acceptable level. People who get into the car, keeping windows closed will inevitably inhale, in quick succession, excessive amounts of the toxin. Benzene is a toxin that affects your kidney and liver. What's worse, it is extremely difficult for your body to expel this toxic stuff. So, please open the windows and doors of your car and give time for the deadly interior air to clear out before you enter.

THANKS! Never knew.
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by valencia25(m): 6:53pm On Dec 12, 2013
What of Danfo?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Dec 12, 2013
Yes. It damages compressors.
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by lumeviewscom: 7:08pm On Dec 12, 2013
valencia25: What of Danfo?

Or BRT sef... Or okada?
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Dec 12, 2013
Psychedelia: In my car, there's an auto-delay (about 20 seconds) after you've started the car, before the AC itself turns on.

I saw this one trekking this afternoon

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Sicozone(m): 7:18pm On Dec 12, 2013
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by IAMBREEZY: 7:26pm On Dec 12, 2013
Yeah i'm guilty i do that a lot maybe now i'm gonna stop.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Donald Trump's Limited Edition Cadillac Trump Limo Is Now For Sale / 9 Most Expensive Cars That Were Found Abandoned (PHOTOS) / Want To Buy A Car, Experts Should Advice Me Pls.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.