Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,963 members, 7,806,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:06 AM

Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? (49827 Views)

Does Driving With The AC On Actually Use More Fuel? / A Car With Ankara Paint / My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by macIB(m): 7:31pm On Dec 12, 2013
Tmex: I only know about the health implications‎​ of having your CAR AIR CONDITIONER turned on immediately the engine starts, and could be responsible for why more folks are dying from cancer than ever before. We wonder where this stuff comes from but here is an example that explains a lot of the cancer causing incidents. Many people are in their cars first thing in the morning and the last thing at night, 7 days a week. Please do NOT turn on A/C as soon as you enter the car. Open the windows after you enter your car and turn ON the A/C after a couple of minutes. Here's why: According to a research, the dashboard emits Benzene, a cancer-causing toxin (carcinogen - take time to observe the smell of heated plastic in your car). In addition to causing cancer, Benzene poisons your bones, causes anaemia and reduces white blood cells. Prolonged exposure will cause Leukaemia, increasing the risk of cancer and Can also cause miscarriage. Acceptable Benzene level indoors is 50 mg per sq. ft. A car parked indoors with windows closed will contain 400-800 mg of Benzene. If parked outdoors under the sun at a temperature above 70 degrees F, the Benzene level goes up to 2000-4000 mg, 40 times the acceptable level. People who get into the car, keeping windows closed will inevitably inhale, in quick succession, excessive amounts of the toxin. Benzene is a toxin that affects your kidney and liver. What's worse, it is extremely difficult for your body to expel this toxic stuff. So, please open the windows and doors of your car and give time for the deadly interior air to clear out before you enter.

This is absolutely wrong and unfounded. You might as well stop living on earth because of carcinogens. Do you realise that carcinogens abound everywhere in our modern life and on everything we touch, inhale and work with? So why don't we die everyday of cancer? So don't let some conspiracy theorist desolusion you about what is not true. Benzene as well as many carcinogens are with us all our lives but in negligible quantity to cause health hazards. Without them our lives would be worthless!

5 Likes

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by symbianDON(m): 7:34pm On Dec 12, 2013
Tmex: I only know about the health implications‎​ of having your CAR AIR CONDITIONER turned on immediately the engine starts, and could be responsible for why more folks are dying from cancer than ever before. We wonder where this stuff comes from but here is an example that explains a lot of the cancer causing incidents. Many people are in their cars first thing in the morning and the last thing at night, 7 days a week. Please do NOT turn on A/C as soon as you enter the car. Open the windows after you enter your car and turn ON the A/C after a couple of minutes. Here's why: According to a research, the dashboard emits Benzene, a cancer-causing toxin (carcinogen - take time to observe the smell of heated plastic in your car). In addition to causing cancer, Benzene poisons your bones, causes anaemia and reduces white blood cells. Prolonged exposure will cause Leukaemia, increasing the risk of cancer and Can also cause miscarriage. Acceptable Benzene level indoors is 50 mg per sq. ft. A car parked indoors with windows closed will contain 400-800 mg of Benzene. If parked outdoors under the sun at a temperature above 70 degrees F, the Benzene level goes up to 2000-4000 mg, 40 times the acceptable level. People who get into the car, keeping windows closed will inevitably inhale, in quick succession, excessive amounts of the toxin. Benzene is a toxin that affects your kidney and liver. What's worse, it is extremely difficult for your body to expel this toxic stuff. So, please open the windows and doors of your car and give time for the deadly interior air to clear out before you enter.
this is so untrue!!!

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Policewoman(f): 7:34pm On Dec 12, 2013
OK NOTED.
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Dec 12, 2013
valencia25: What of Danfo?

hahahaha...
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Tmex(m): 7:43pm On Dec 12, 2013
macIB:

This is absolutely wrong and unfounded. You might as well stop living on earth because of carcinogens. Do you realise that carcinogens abound everywhere in our modern life and on everything we touch, inhale and work with? So why don't we die everyday of cancer? So don't let some conspiracy theorist desolusion you about what is not true. Benzene as well as many carcinogens are with us all our lives but in negligible quantity to cause health hazards. Without them our lives would be worthless!
fine, u said we have them in negligible quantity,do you regard the exhaust from a truck as being negligible too? And for your info the cancer doesn't just grow overnight it takes time before all this things starts manifesting and mind you prevention they say is better than cure .
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 12, 2013
macIB:

It is always better to keep quiet and learn... Than to learn via your own bad experience.

So my parents taught me.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Inoknowbook: 7:46pm On Dec 12, 2013
I used to turn off the ac before switching off the engine until the day my dealership told me to always leave the ac on. I was told that it's better for the engine and the air condition mechanism if the ac is never switched off. So, since that day, I have never switched of the ac in my two rides. Meanwhile, the dealership is a very good one and I trust it implicitly.
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by FATAB: 7:46pm On Dec 12, 2013
its advisable you put the AC off before u start the car
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by macIB(m): 8:10pm On Dec 12, 2013
Tmex: fine, u said we have them in negligible quantity,do you regard the exhaust from a truck as being negligible too? And for your info the cancer doesn't just grow overnight it takes time before all this things starts manifesting and mind you prevention they say is better than cure .
Mind you car exhaust bring out carbon and some minerals from burnt fuel. Carbon does not cause cancer but only leaves anthracotic residue in the lungs. Carbon is inert! The other minerals from burnt fuel causes fibrotic lung diseases in the very very long run and not cancer pls! We have not got to the level of technology in this country to develop all these diseases just like that! Check your facts before you post. Medical knowledge are abound on the internet. Don't depend on conspiracy theorist for information pls!

1 Like

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by macIB(m): 8:15pm On Dec 12, 2013
okpara ugo:

It is always better to keep quiet and learn... Than to learn via your own bad experience.

So my parents taught me.

Mr ugo, I guess you shld learn from me who has done a research on this issue and on cancers and carcinogens, than depend on hearsay for information which is not tenable in the scientific world.
It is better to draw a chair, sit down and listen and finally learn reality!
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Dec 12, 2013
abatically: For cars with climate control, the compressor don't get engaged until after about 30 secs of starting the engine. For such cars it doesnt matter if u start the car with the ac on or not... But its just a good habit to turn off everything (headlights, ac, stereo, etc) before turning off car. For cars with manual ac, starting the car with the ac on adds extra load to the car as the compressor kicks as soon as the car is started.

This is the answer to your question. Except you are using a 1960 car, It doesn't matter cos the AC automatically switches off along with Radio etc while you start the ignition.
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by logica(m): 8:55pm On Dec 12, 2013
macIB:

Mr ugo, I guess you shld learn from me who has done a research on this issue and on cancers and carcinogens, than depend on hearsay for information which is not tenable in the scientific world.
It is better to draw a chair, sit down and listen and finally learn reality!
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by brightleave(m): 9:28pm On Dec 12, 2013
[quote author=Tmex]I only know about the health implications‎​ of having your CAR AIR CONDITIONER turned on immediately the engine starts, and could be responsible for why more folks are dying from cancer than ever before. We wonder where this stuff comes from but here is an example that explains a lot of the cancer causing incidents. Many people are in their cars first thing in the morning and the last thing at night, 7 days a week. Please do NOT turn on A/C as soon as you enter the car. Open the windows after you enter your car and turn ON the A/C after a couple of minutes. Here's why: According to a research, the dashboard emits Benzene, a cancer-causing toxin (carcinogen - take time to observe the smell of heated plastic in your car). In addition to causing cancer, Benzene poisons your bones, causes anaemia and reduces white blood cells. Prolonged exposure will cause Leukaemia, increasing the risk of cancer and Can also cause miscarriage. Acceptable Benzene level indoors is 50 mg per sq. ft. A car parked indoors with windows closed will contain 400-800 mg of Benzene. If parked outdoors under the sun at a temperature above 70 degrees F, the Benzene level goes up to 2000-4000 mg, 40 times the acceptable level. People who get into the car, keeping windows closed will inevitably inhale, in quick succession, excessive amounts of the toxin. Benzene is a toxin that affects your kidney and liver. What's worse, it is extremely difficult for your body to expel this toxic stuff. So, please open the windows and doors of your car and give time for the deadly interior air to clear out before you enter. [Men! that's interesting]
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by koboko69: 9:53pm On Dec 12, 2013
symbianDON:
this is so untrue!!!

One day dem go still tell u make we start car...run comot for inside....wait 5mins we enter back...because of one reason that will cos cancer in future undecided undecided
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by habbyy03: 11:20pm On Dec 12, 2013
domack99:

To the health; can you expanciate?
correction....expatiate not EXPANTIATE...okbye#
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by piagetskinner(m): 11:31pm On Dec 12, 2013
E no better make person acquire bicycle, than to dey tink of this Benzene emission issue...no need to wind up or down..natUraL breeZ all the WAY#
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by vanguard1(m): 12:00am On Dec 13, 2013
Changed my pathfinder's battery three times this year, was always blaming the battery vendor thinking he gives me inferior batteries. My electrician later cleared the air sha
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Icudkill: 1:59am On Dec 13, 2013
macIB:

I was just about to blast dat guy b4 u helped me.
Pple ar so plain ignorant that dey just pick info a kid pasted on his blog wic den appears on google and spread it..
Everywer now is carcinogenic dis and carcinogenic dat..
If benzene from ur car wud cause cancer d way dis dude put it, den i suppose ionosing radiation from d sun wud hav inflicted various skin melanomas and carcinomas on pple esp us her in africa wer d sun is angry at our govt.
Fact is potential carcinogens occurs everiwer from processed food we eat, slightly radioactive materials we come in contact wit, mobile fones..etc, but our body has d innate ability to track nd kill dose cells dat hav become compromised.. So cancer wud occur nt likely wen we go about daily schedules(in interaction wit mildly carcinogenic materials), but most likely wen we ar exposed to large volumes of dis carcinogens or wen our body fails to kill cells dat hav bcome compromised secondary to a defective immunity., dah is why cancer cud be genetic as wen ur parents ar unable to combat certain carcinoma dey pass on d same genes dat wer unable to fight this carcinoma nd u ar susceptible to suc carcinoma...

Whoossh! Never meant to write dis long..
Sowie for d tales of boredom.. Main tin is dat we should all live life freely devoid of fearing dis and fearing dat., its a much more interestin life

1 Like

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by domack99(m): 6:40am On Dec 13, 2013
mu2sa2: "expanciate" is not an English word; the English word is "expatiate".

Thanks
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by ignis: 8:15am On Dec 13, 2013
domack99:

To the health; can you expatiate?
It causes cancer...
As a result of the silcon molecules generated when the car is in rest mode... Its therefore expedent that the window be left open for the toxic compounds to escape before shutting up the window and putting on the A/C.
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by ignis: 8:19am On Dec 13, 2013
macIB:

I don't agree with your write ups.
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Nobody: 8:39am On Dec 13, 2013
Bad
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by meetgaya: 8:53am On Dec 13, 2013
4reigningqueen: oh Lord! When will i become a car owner so that i can contribute.
Have it in Jesus name.
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by Psychedelia(m): 9:30am On Dec 13, 2013
SheWhore:

I saw this one trekking this afternoon

Who? Your dad?
One thing I've come to notice on Nairaland, is that the moment you reveal you own a car, it makes a lot of people uneasy. Like it's a big deal. undecided
Enyi, because you languish in abject poverty isn't a reason you should take out your frustration on people you see on the internet, e hear? wink

5 Likes

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by mastro: 9:44am On Dec 13, 2013

Absolute and complete nonsense, please reference the "so call" research you are referring to,you can refer to http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/benzene.asp for the lack of facts behind this nonsense. or simple apply a tiny bit of common sense, can't you guys use GOOGLE

1 Like

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by sniperwolf(m): 9:58am On Dec 13, 2013
It tells on the battery. I made a topic like this and it didn't make front page

www.nairaland.com/1410696/danger-starting-car-c
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by earthrealm(m): 2:30pm On Dec 13, 2013
I no know book:
I used to turn off the ac before switching off the engine until the day my dealership told me to always leave the ac on. I was told that it's better for the engine and the air condition mechanism if the ac is never switched off. So, since that day, I have never switched of the ac in my two rides. Meanwhile, the dealership is a very good one and I trust it implicitly.

absolute rubbish!!!!

its advised to turn off ur a/c, but leave the fan on about 30secs to 2mins b4 turning off the car engine, so that the dry warm air will dry out the internals of the ac system...thus making the area not conducive for bacterial/mildew growth. mildew grows in damp dark areas, turning off the ac but leaving the fan minutes b4 switching off ur car drys out that area and makes it uncomfortable for mildew/spores to grow there.

while we are at it...its recommended to clean ur ac filter periodically n change it out every yr........

Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by kuluTemper: 6:03am On Dec 14, 2013
I have been driving my car for the past five years starting it with the AC on and nothing has gone wrong. Another car my wife used for six years plus was also like that and nothing happened to that one too.
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by domack99(m): 1:36pm On Dec 15, 2013
kuluTemper: I have been driving my car for the past five years starting it with the AC on and nothing has gone wrong. Another car my wife used for six years plus was also like that and nothing happened to that one too.

Agreed, but, always turn it off a minite or two before shutting down the car
Re: Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? by charles009(m): 7:41pm On Sep 28, 2019
domack99:

But for modern cars with fuel injection, the PCM won't engage the compressor clutch until the engine has started and the idle has settled. since the PCM and not the switch is what will determine when the compressor will engage. so what exactly will be killing the battery

(1) (2) (Reply)

Donald Trump's Limited Edition Cadillac Trump Limo Is Now For Sale / How Much Is Mini Bus Suzuki And Location Of Purchase? / 9 Most Expensive Cars That Were Found Abandoned (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.