Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,945 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

Cuil: Am Still Down With Google - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Cuil: Am Still Down With Google (967 Views)

How To Legitimately Make More Than 5 Euro Per Day With Google Adsense / How Much Can You Make In A Month With Google Ads On Your Blog. / Create Your Personal Website With Google Page Creator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cuil: Am Still Down With Google by nuckecy(m): 12:40pm On Jul 29, 2008
Hey guyz, Cuil the new search engine on the Web, founded by an Ex-Google staff. I've just checked it out, kool CSS and Web 2.0 compliant. But come to check the search ranking, I still prefer Google.

Although its features a new kind of search display, like an on line magazine display with image by the side. But Google still beats it when it comes to functionality.

Google said " they welcome the competition but they are still the best". What do you think guy. www.cuil.com
Re: Cuil: Am Still Down With Google by SamMilla1(m): 4:08pm On Jul 29, 2008
Yeah, i saw it on cnn and tried it as well.
they are cool but it will take centuries to beat google.
the good old goodle has already stamped its supremacy.
Re: Cuil: Am Still Down With Google by yawatide(f): 4:18pm On Jul 29, 2008
ok folks, let us try it from this angle:

Dele:
"Hey Bode, how now? longest time. how go dey go? I just found out about this new cool search engine. It vows to beat google. It looks pretty cool sha"

Bode:
"Okay, I will check it out. What is it called?"

Dele (who probably can't pronounce it himself, gives it a shot):
"Cuil"

Bode:
"What? Can you spell that?"

Point:
It might be better than google but based on branding alone, it is going to be tough.
Re: Cuil: Am Still Down With Google by yawatide(f): 4:29pm On Jul 29, 2008
nuckecy, I don catch u! grin

Stumbled upon one of your sites, legacy hotel a long time ago and have been trying to reach you. Even tracked down many who know you but even they couldn't locate you.

Nice work on that hotel site sha. I hope all is well.
Re: Cuil: Am Still Down With Google by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:25pm On Jul 30, 2008
The cuil claims it has the largest index. But to my surprise, i searched for something and it said no result and yet google gave me results
Re: Cuil: Am Still Down With Google by syskay(m): 12:40pm On Jul 31, 2008
adewaleafolabi:

The cuil claims it has the largest index. But to my surprise, i searched for something and it said no result and yet google gave me results

Their claim truly seems to be exaggerated. I tried to run searches with terms related to Nigeria, but it kept on returning results of American Websites.

Google has nothing to be frightened of.
Re: Cuil: Am Still Down With Google by Mustay(m): 1:12pm On Jul 31, 2008
adewaleafolabi:

yea!

And I like my google.com.ng - 'compresses' to Nigerian sites
Re: Cuil: Am Still Down With Google by crazylegs(m): 1:53pm On Jul 31, 2008
I guess it'll take them time. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think current searches also influence the indexing.

But the lack of ranking and the way they present the search results isn't as simple and straightforward as google.

Google sooo need competition.
Re: Cuil: Am Still Down With Google by crazylegs(m): 2:00pm On Jul 31, 2008
P.S

I take back my comment. The site is ABSOLUTELY USELESS!!!

I just "cuiled" (sounds a bit daft) my name and found NOTHING! On google there are 100 results. Only about 10 have ANY relationship with me, but I used to feel good about it.

They have to step up their game and find more results related to me! grin
Re: Cuil: Am Still Down With Google by Mustay(m): 3:39pm On Jul 31, 2008
They were formerly known as COIL before being cuiled.

In an interview, they set a target of 5 years to overtake Google
Re: Cuil: Am Still Down With Google by adewaleafolabi(m): 3:57pm On Jul 31, 2008
And i doubt if Google would be folding their arms doing nothing within the next five years
Really some names have just become synonymous with some services. For example mail == yahoo. Virtually everyone knows yahoo. even those in Nigeria who aren't internet savvy all they know is i want to check my mail. I doubt if the know other mail providers.
Search == Google. Students and virtually all who search start first at Google. Its become entrenched into browsers. Google has stationed itself well and gained monopoly over the search market. It will take more than fancy magazine style search to overtake Google.
Google has some philosophies that drive its success. Like giving their staff a day or two off to research into whatever they desire. No wonder Google is appearing in every area of ict. Now am from the open source world and if there's any organization that's been funding and making researches and improving open source applications, Its been Google.
Google even accepts interns and allocate projects to them to work on. And thats why Google is improving on a daily basis.
Finally, Google's got the cash and can simply frustrate any opposition out of the market. See what happened between it and Microsoft. There was a time Microsoft was about to announce it had indexed maybe 4 billion (I can't remember the figure), Google came out and announced it had indexed twice that. Microsoft publicity stunt was called off. And with the recent romance between Google and Yahoo search and the stabbing int the back to Microsoft by Yahoo grin , i really doubt if Cuil will be able to live up to its bluff.

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need Your Criticisms On This Website I Just Finished Developing! / актеры фильма сумерки сумерки скачать бесплатно онлай / Filesonic Premium Reseller At Good Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.