Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,851 members, 7,806,404 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:54 PM

The IGR Debate - Reloaded! - Politics (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The IGR Debate - Reloaded! (24655 Views)

Latest Ranking Of States By Financial Sustainability, Debt And IGR (PICS) / IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly / Ten Nigerian States With Highest IGR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by Nobody: 9:34am On Dec 16, 2013
achi4u: So,those big big companies were not even owned by our SWestern big brothers? lol
Na wa o! then why the chest biting and shouting over foreign companies?

Someone should educate me here.

Anybody!

1 Like

Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by Nobody: 9:35am On Dec 16, 2013
achi4u: So,those big big companies were not even owned by our SWestern big brothers? lol
Na wa o! then why the chest biting and shouting over foreign companies?

Someone should educate me here.

Anybody!

Imagine one of them asking me where our ppl were when they shared oil license .
Is that not poverty of intellect to depend on oil?
Oil license that were shared after Igbo ppls money were seized and 20 pounds handed to them.
Igbos on the other hand went into commerce, importation, nollywood, sports, academics,transport sector and industrialization.
While yorubas are still stuck in only civil service plus a few in the oil theft industry and multinational companies in nig.
That's y they have the same few rich men with an overwhelming poor population.
Most ventures in SW are not Yoruba owned. The ones u hear abt are the remnants which yorubas have not destroyed with their incompetence,cos the vast majority of the indigenized foreign ventures went down the drains, thanks to yorubas.
Same goes for our public corporations and civil service.
Yorubas are the problems in Nigeria, they established d rot in govt agencies .
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by superstar1(m): 9:41am On Dec 16, 2013
One_Naira:

You have not even given any meaningful, educative discussion since I've been reading this thread. All you've done so far is repeating the same level of stup1dity you've emitted since page 1. All you've done is running your mouth with insults and when they bring out a figure, you whin and cry. When they bring out a video, you whin and cry. First give an educated discussion to the people you are talking to at the beginning then you have the audacity to ask for one. For now, I'm not wasting one brain cell to someone, by looks of it, can't argue educationally with those already discussing with him

Hollow head try harder .

If you have anything in your head, spill it out.
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by Nobody: 9:42am On Dec 16, 2013
superstar1:

You are a very funny guy. Do yourself the favour to look at the share composition of those companies, you will be dazed. Even odua group, buys shares of those companies for the odua states, apart from individuals.

Share is not ownership
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by Nobody: 9:44am On Dec 16, 2013
emiye: Misinformation at its peak. it is important you realise that : (1) There is a linkage between house ownership and poverty reduction

(2) The culture of home ownership among low income households is way prevalent in the SW than the SE .

(3) Lands are more readily available and cheaper in the sw, low income households can easily get access to lands and build their own house, a state like Oyo state (28,454 sq. km) is roughly the size of the whole south east states (anambra,ebonyi,enugu,imo and abia= 29,095 sq.km)

(4) Statistics show that the level of poverty in the SW is the lowest in the 6 Geo-political regions.

U have just confirmed that yorubas are poorer
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by Nobody: 9:48am On Dec 16, 2013
One_Naira:

My guy you are a NOBODY. You know it, I know it, don't know why you stay pretending. You didn't hit not one nerve, I was just letting know the truth. Recall you supposedly a "businessman" yet on this thread, you revealed you have a "boss". When you first came on this site, you claimed the only reason you are on this site 24-7 is because you are in a vacation. You are still on this site 24-7 and it's been past a year since that your initial claim. This your vacation no end? You are nothing but an old Agbero with nothing going for ya. That is the honest truth. You know it, I know it, we all know it. A real businessman would not waste one second on a site like this

Eggheaders na agbero by profession.
his job is to collect money from highways and account to fashola, all in a bid to raise igr.
Fashola in turn hands him 20k per month.
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by superstar1(m): 9:55am On Dec 16, 2013
B
ngozievergreen:

Oil license that were shared after Igbo ppls money were seized and 20 pounds handed to them.
Igbos on the other hand went into commerce, importation, nollywood, sports, academics,transport sector and industrialization.
While yorubas are still stuck in only civil service plus a few in the oil theft industry and multinational companies in nig.
Most ventures in SW are not Yoruba owned. The ones u hear abt are the remnants which yorubas have not destroyed with their incompetence,cos the vast majority of the indigenized foreign ventures went down the drains, thanks to yorubas.

Ngozievergreen

Stop living in Aba or Onitsha and come to SW and see life. Why are your people running to.SW, if what you described is through. Reason it out.

We don't have companies, as you keep propagating the lies, how many yorubas work for y1bos. The whole of Nigeria knows you are tribalistic and don't employ other ethnic groups.
Have you seen us migrating to SE in search of Greener Pastures and there is poverty in the land?

NBS says otherwise. In the south of river Niger, according to statistics, SE has the highest poverty rate. Ours would have even been lower, if not for your y1bos trooping to our heavenly SW.

Be factual here, how many y1bos had above 20pounds in their accounts before the war. How many left money on their account in comparison with the people that benefited from the amnesty largesse. How could people going to form.a country, leave their money behind in another country. What were the returnees from SW spending when they got back to Biafra? what is the value of that 20pounds to modern day naira? Answer those.

On the oil license issue, awarding license is a continuous exercise and it was not only done in 1970. Assuming you missed out on that. What happened between 1990 till date. So all the time chukwumerije was doing Abacha's bingo, he was not rewarded. With the god work Nzeribe did for IBB, he was not rewarded. Okadigbo was senate president, he was not given. Wabara too. Be fair here. They got the share of the SE. Whatever they did with it, is their headache.
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by achi4u(m): 9:56am On Dec 16, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Those things you listed above are the saving grace of igbo people in nigeria after the civil war.Had it been that igbos were too sluggish, lazy and blind to see things before others ...my sister our territory would've been a forgetting zone.

Igbos migrate to where the 'host' are some how a bit primitive and less competitive in businesses...., teach them a little lesson before they can opened their eyes.

My love for yorubas can never die...grin
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by superstar1(m): 9:57am On Dec 16, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Share is not ownership

Madam reframe that.

Don't let your lecturer see that. Your university will revoke your certificate without blinking an eyelid.
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by OneNaira6: 9:57am On Dec 16, 2013
superstar1:

Hollow head try harder .

If you have anything in your head, spill it out.

Try showing God even put a brain in your head. Since I haven't seen any evidence of such, like I said, not going to waste one brain cell on you. I've wasted way too much on Yoruba agberos on this website.
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by docsholz(m): 10:02am On Dec 16, 2013
2015 shall be so interesting, abeg when is d National conference coming up?
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by superstar1(m): 10:04am On Dec 16, 2013
achi4u: Those things you listed above are the saving grace of igbo people in nigeria after the civil war.Had it been that igbos were too sluggish, lazy and blind to see things before others ...my sister our territory would've been a forgetting zone.

Igbos migrate to where the 'host' are some how a bit primitive and less competitive in businesses...., teach them a little lesson before they can opened their eyes.

My love for yorubas can never die...grin

Very funny.

You control importation, we control shipping and financial institutions and hausas control customs.

You control transportation to SE. Do you have any foothold in Sw. Naaaaaa.

Tell is how.you are controlling education. Another fallacy.

If industrialization is 2by2 inches backyard or under the mango tree factories, we don't do such.

Yorubas are sticked in civil service and SE states civil service too are full of yorubas.

Nollywood, we have our quantum share. Even DSTV had to dedicate a whole station to yoruba films. Can't see any Igbo station on it.

So what else?
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by OneNaira6: 10:04am On Dec 16, 2013
ngozievergreen:

his job is to collect money from highways and account to fashola, all in a bid to raise igr.

I know. Na real agbero. My father is a businessman, a successful one at that. I know how a real businessman lives their life. They stay on their hustle 24-7 cause one glance away and some other one would snatch everything from under them. No real businessman, be it moderate, lower or successful, would waste one second of their life on NL or any online forum arguing. Not one single businessman. On top of that, they are their own bosses, they don't have a boss. They have partners, not bosses. Him na real agbero wey dey online dey pretend.

Anyway Ngo, carry on. Your conservations with this people are funny, at least to me it is.
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by superstar1(m): 10:06am On Dec 16, 2013
One_Naira:

Try showing God even put a brain in your head. Since I haven't seen any evidence of such, like I said, not going to waste one brain cell on you. I've wasted way too much on Yoruba agberos on this website.

Agberos discuss with Agberos, so sad that you are one. Pele omo y1bo.

If you are endowed with one tenth of my brain capacity, your name would have been.1billion and not one naira. Your name says it all about you.
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by superstar1(m): 10:09am On Dec 16, 2013
I
One_Naira:

I know. Na real agbero. My father is a businessman, a successful one at that. I know how a real businessman lives their life. They stay on their hustle 24-7 cause one glance away and some other one would snatch everything from under them. No real businessman, be it moderate, lower or successful, would waste one second of their life on NL or any online forum arguing. Not one single businessman. On top of that, they are their own bosses, they don't have a boss. They have partners, not bosses. Him na real agbero wey dey online dey pretend.

Anyway Ngo, carry on. Your conservations with this people are funny, at least to me it is.

Keep experiencing premature ejaculat1on.

If you are blessed with 1/4th of what God has blessed me with, you must be very lucky.

Some of us are on vacation in December while some are hustling. That is making sense out.of.life.
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by achi4u(m): 10:13am On Dec 16, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by OneNaira6: 10:15am On Dec 16, 2013
superstar1: I

Keep experiencing premature ejaculat1on.

If you are blessed with 1/4th of what God has blessed me with, you must be very lucky.

Some of us are on vacation in December while some are hustling. That is making sense out.of.life.

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO grin grin grin grin grin grin

I think you forgot to logout of your superstar1 account. Cheii, so Superstar1 was your other ID and you were even conversing with yourself in both this id and the Ibn okagun ID. OMG!!!, not only are you broke and jobless, you are even mentally unstable. My God. Cheiiiiiiiii

No be you wey claim you don't do multiple Ids? LOL. Tufiakwa.

1 Like

Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by superstar1(m): 10:18am On Dec 16, 2013
One_Naira:

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO grin grin grin grin grin grin

I think you forgot to logout of your superstar1 account. Cheii, so Superstar1 was your other ID and you were even conversing with yourself in both this id and the Ibn okagun ID. OMG!!!, not only are you broke and jobless, you are even mentally unstable. My God. Cheiiiiiiiii

No be you wey claim you don't do multiple Ids? LOL. Tufiakwa.

I laff igbotically, afikpo dialect to be precise.

I don't do double ID things. Ngozievergreen will tell you.
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by OneNaira6: 10:20am On Dec 16, 2013
superstar1:

I laff igbotically, afikpo dialect to be precise.

I don't do double ID things. Ngozievergreen will tell you.

The evidence is staring us in the face and the boy continues to lie.

You are definitely yoruba, no doubt.
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by Nobody: 10:23am On Dec 16, 2013
How many banks were in nigeria in 1967 though?

How many people keeps money in banks then?

I'm sure ibos didn't lose up to they got after the war in monetary terms.
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by ibnakogun: 10:34am On Dec 16, 2013
Is it hurting the dolts I do business. Sure I have a boss Ib other business adventures I try to experiment with. In have gave the dolts a challenge like their coward genera-ass he didn't take it up. I was on vacation when I register on Nl. That why then I can go all night out with dolts like dozzybaboon and tomstupidity. But now I gat numerous engagement I just kill the addiction with NY smartphone. Hey fuccktard I care less what you think about me. I am only giving this explanation cos y'all low life's are legendary with repeating lies over and over again to make it truth.

1 Like

Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by superstar1(m): 10:41am On Dec 16, 2013
One_Naira:

The evidence is staring us in the face and the boy continues to lie.

You are definitely yoruba, no doubt.

So, have I ever denied my rich yoruba heritage?

Or you are not communicating effectively?
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by OneNaira6: 10:46am On Dec 16, 2013
superstar1:

So, have I ever denied my rich yoruba heritage?

Or your are not communicating effectively?

LMFAO @ Logging in and out with his Ids just to speak. Creepy!!!!!!!!!! You need a psychiatrist. I thought Musiwa is the only mentally unstable yoruba on NL but it's obvious, there is alot of ya'll. You the fifth one thus far

Since I was a child, my mother told me not to talk to crazy nigg@s and that advice have never wronged me before so I'm done. Take your craziness to Ngozi or whoever is willing to deal with it.
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by emiye(m): 10:46am On Dec 16, 2013
One_Naira:

Actually this is false. The statistics that showed this was denied by the NBS. They last statistics they conducted regarding poverty was the 2009/2010 figure and the one circulating that was in 2012 was falsified.

https://www.nairaland.com/1174921/nbc-denies-recent-poverty-rating

This is real rank. The 2009/2010 one
[img]http://www.nairaland.com/attachments/212244_poverty20level20in20Nigerian20zones-Punch20newspaper2020031_jpg41bdcb734786e57c46ab47dd1cbd99fd[/img]
https://www.nairaland.com/371485/regional-poverty-nigeria-north-south-west

Nigerian Poverty Profile Report 2010 - NBS
Category: Nigerian Economy

Read (9213)
Nigerian Poverty Profile Report 2010 - NBS

PRESS BRIEFING BY THE STATISTICIAN-GENERAL OF THE FEDERATION/CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, NATIONAL BUREAU OF STATISTICS, DR. YEMI KALE HELD AT THE CONFERENCE ROOM, 5TH FLOOR, NBS HEADQUARTERS, CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT, ABUJA ON MONDAY, 13TH FEBRUARY, 2012.

1. PROTOCOL

PREAMBLE

2. It is with great pleasure that I present to you today, highlights of the “Nigeria Poverty Profile Report 2010”, a report which emerged from the recently concluded Harmonised Nigeria Living Standard Survey (HNLSS) conducted by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) with support from the World Bank, DFID (UK) and UNICEF.

3. As part of its functions to produce statistics for evidence-based policy-making and as the authoritative source and custodian of all official statistics, NBS periodically conducts the Harmonized Nigeria Living Standard Survey which is used, amongst other things, to determine poverty and inequality trends in Nigeria. The data collected by NBS through our regular surveys and via our system of administrative statistics around the country present a vital source of evidence, as they provide us with clear, objective, numerical data on all aspects of our lives and the state of our country. NBS has presence in every state of the federation with staff who collect data on various socio economic indicators on a regular basis to fulfill our mandate. This way we are able to monitor various trends across the country at a disaggregated level. To demonstrate that NBS remains committed to improving statistical development in Nigeria, the institutional capacity to deliver on its mandate is being strengthened regularly with increased levels of collaboration between NBS and our partners in the public and private sectors, including the press.

4. In recognition of the fact that it is impossible, given limited financial resources, to collect data on every area of life, we are ensuring that the data collected by NBS is demand-driven and user-specific. Concomitantly, we are expanding our scope to include more aspects of socio-economic life, deepening our analytical competence and NBS Press briefing on Nigeria Poverty Profile 2010 Report 2 enhancing the professionalism of staff. A recent innovation is to announce, in advance, the expected dates of publication of survey results and data releases, which can be found on the official website. For example, a visit to our website at www.nigerianstat.gov.ng would reveal that we plan to publish inflation data for January 2012, the first since the partial removal of fuel subsidy, next Monday. The planned dates of release for other types of data can be found on the website.

5. As you may have observed our data releases have been mixed: some positive and others negative. We would therefore continue to publish accurate and timely data regardless of whether it is positive or negative because the information we provide is useful as a guide for government policy, business investors, as well as a veritable tool for the public to evaluate the performance of government and the progress of our society in the interest of growth and development in Nigeria.

PART I:

OVERVIEW OF THE HNLSS 2009/2010 SURVEY
6. Nigeria’s efforts at monitoring and evaluation of national programmes and policies started with the analysis of a series of National Consumer Expenditure Surveys which led to the assessment of poverty in Nigeria over a period of sixteen years from 1980 – 1996, and the publication of the report on poverty trend in Nigeria in 1999.

7. The Harmonized Nigeria Living Standard Survey (HNLSS) 2009/2010 is an enlarged scope of previous National Consumer Surveys and also a follow-up to the Nigeria Living Standard Survey (NLSS) 003/2004. The scope of the HNLSS 2009/2010 was enlarged to include: Demography; Health; and Fertility behaviour, Education and Skills/Training; Employment and Time-use; Housing and Housing Condition; Social Capital, Agriculture; Household Income & consumption, and Expenditure. Two statistical reports (Nigeria Living Standard Survey Report 2010 and the Poverty profile of 2010 will be produced to assist various levels of government to evaluate and monitor their social and economic programmes.

OBJECTIVES, JUSTIFICATION, SCOPE AND COVERAGE OF THE SURVEY
8. In a broad sense, the concern of the study was to generate detailed, multi-sector and policy relevant data using welfare and expenditure approaches. More specifically, NBS Press briefing on Nigeria Poverty Profile 2010 Report 3 the HNLSS was aimed at providing information on the conditions and trends of poverty, households’ income & consumption expenditure, and unemployment at a greater level of disaggregation. It was also to provide valid and reliable data for the development of effective intervention and provision of important tools for designing, implementing and monitoring of economic growth and poverty reduction.

9. It is widely acknowledged that data needed to drive government anti-poverty programmes is often not available or inadequate at such disaggregated levels as to inform policymakers and business decisions takers. Therefore, the HNLSS is a worthwhile effort because the information gathered would generally aid decision makers in the formulation of economic and social policies, by identifying target groups for government intervention.

METHODOLOGY AND SAMPLE DESIGN

10. The HNLSS used four different approaches in the computation of poverty indicators:

i) Relative Poverty Measurement: Relative poverty is defined by reference to the living standards of majority in a given society and separates the poor from the non-poor. Households with expenditure greater than two-thirds of the Total Household per Capital expenditure are NON-POOR whereas those below it are POOR. Further desegregation showed that households with less than one-third of total Household Per Capita expenditure are CORE-POOR (EXTREME POOR) while those Households greater than one-third of total expenditure but less than two-thirds of the total expenditure are MODERATE POOR.

Accordingly, the poor category is sub-divided into those in extreme poverty and those in moderate poverty, where extreme poverty is more severe than moderate poverty. Those in moderate poverty constitute a greater portion of the growing middle class in Nigeria who are at the point of crossing over to the non-poor category. Similarly, the non-poor is divided into the fairly rich and the very rich.

iii.) Absolute poverty measurement approach: Here, Poverty is defined in terms of the minimal requirements necessary to afford minimal standards of food, clothing, healthcare and shelter. This method considers both food expenditure and non- food expenditure using the per capita expenditure approach. This method is otherwise known as Food Energy Intake measure of poverty. First you obtain the food basket of the poorest 40 percent of NBS Press briefing on Nigeria Poverty Profile 2010 Report 4 the population. Then compute the food expenditure that can give 3000 calorie per day based on the national food basket for the poorest 40 percent.

iii. Dollar per day measurement approach: refers to the World Bank’s Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) index, which defines poverty as the proportion of those living on less than US$1 per day poverty line.

iv.) Subjective Poverty Measurement approach: is based on self-assessment and “sentiments” from respondents interviewed. Unlike the other three statistical measurements of poverty, it considers the respondents’ opinion on whether or not they consider themselves to be poor.

11. In addition, NBS computes the Gini Coefficient as a measure of inequality and income distribution in a country. The Gini-coefficient is a number between 0 and 1, where 0 corresponds with perfect equality (in which case everyone earns the same income); and 1 corresponds with perfect inequality (where only one person earns all the income and all others have zero income).

12. Different countries use any one or more of these measures to calculate poverty.

NBS however adopts the relative poverty method as Nigeria’s official measure of poverty.

PART II:

HNLSS 2010 SURVEY RESULTS

13. The 26-page report provides details of the conditions of poverty and income distribution across the country, as well as technical notes regarding the various definitions and methodologies employed for the survey. The full report can be found on our website later this afternoon. The attached tables, however, provide detailed breakdown of the survey results. The major findings from the survey are as follows:

i[b]. Relative poverty is defined by reference to the living standards of majority in a given society. In 2004, Nigeria’s relative poverty measurement stood at 54.4%, but increased to 69% (or 112,518,507 Nigerians) in 2010. The North-West and North-East geo-political zones recorded the highest poverty rates in the country with 77.7% and 76.3% respectively in 2010, while the South-West geo-political zone recorded the lowest at 59.1%. Among States, Sokoto had the highest poverty rate at 86.4% while Niger had the lowest at 43.6% in the year under review.[/b]

ii. Absolute Poverty is defined in terms of the minimal requirements necessary to afford minimal standards of food, clothing, healthcare and shelter. Using this measure, 54.7% of Nigerians were living in poverty in 2004 but this increased to 60.9% (or 99,284,512 Nigerians) in 2010. Among the geo-political zones, the North-West and North-East recorded the highest rates at 70% and 69% respectively, while the South-West had the least at 49.8%. At the State level, Sokoto had the highest at 81.2% while Niger had the least at 33.8% during the review period.

iii. The-Dollar-per-day measure refers to the proportion of those living on less than US$1 per day poverty line. Applying this approach, 51.6% of Nigerians were living below US$1 per day in 2004, but this increased to 61.2% in 2010. Although the World Bank standard is now US$1.25, the old reference of US$1 was the standard used in Nigeria at the time that the survey was conducted. The North-West geo-political zone recorded the highest percentage at 70.4%, while the South-West geo-political zone had the least at 50.1%. Sokoto had the highest rate among States at 81.9%, while Niger had the least at 33.9%.

iv. Subjective Poverty is based on self-assessment and “sentiments” from respondents. In this regard, 75.5% of Nigerians considered themselves to be poor in 2004, and in 2010 the number went up to 93.9%. FCT recorded the most number of people who considered themselves to be poor at 97.9%. Kaduna recorded the least number of people who considered themselves poor at 90.5%.

v. 2011 Poverty level estimates: For completeness and to guide policy, NBS has also forecast the poverty rate for 2011 using various economic models. It is important to stress at this point that these estimates are constrained by the assumption that the status quo in 2010 was maintained in 2011. Accordingly, it ignores the potential positive impact various poverty alleviation strategies implemented since 2011 may have had on reversing the poverty trend. This will become clearer once the 2011 Annual Socio-Economic Survey is completed later in the year. Thus, using the relative, absolute and dollar-per-day poverty measures, NBS estimates that poverty may have further risen slightly to about 71.5%, 61.9% and 62.8% respectively in 2011.

vi. Income inequality: The survey suggests rising income inequality in the country as measured by the Gini-coefficient. By this measure, income inequality rose from 0.429 in 2004 to 0.447 in 2010, indicating greater income inequality during the period.

vii. Consumption Expenditure Distribution: Lastly, analysis of consumption expenditure distribution indicates that the top 10% income earners was responsible for about 43% of total consumption expenditure, the top 20% was responsible for about 59% of total consumption expenditure while the top 40% was responsible for about 80% of total consumption expenditure in the year under review.

FURTHER ANALYSIS OF RELATIVE POVERTY

14. As earlier stated, NBS adopts the relative poverty measurement for monitoring poverty trends in the country. It remains a paradox however, that despite the fact that the Nigerian economy is growing, the proportion of Nigerians living in poverty is increasing every year, although it declined between 1985 and 1992, and between 1996 and 2004.

Accordingly it is important to take a closer look at poverty trends using this approach. Distributing the population into extremely poor, moderately poor and non-poor, the proportion of the extremely poor increased from 6.2 percent in 1980 to 29.3 percent in 1996 and then came down to 22.0 percent in 2004 before reaching 38.7% in 2010. For the moderately poor, the picture was quite different as the proportion rose between 1980 and 1985 from 21.0 percent to 34.2 percent. It went down between 1996 and 2004, from 36.3 percent to 32.4 percent, and even further in 2010 to 30.3 percent. On the other hand, the proportion of non-poor was much higher in the country in 1980 (72.8 percent) compared to 1992 (57.3 percent). It dropped significantly in 1996 to 34.4percent, falling further in 2010 to 31 percent.

CONCLUSION
15. The results of the HNLSS 2010 as contained in the Nigeria Poverty Profile 2010 Report indicate that poverty and income inequality in Nigeria have increased since 2003/2004. In addition, NBS estimates that this trend may have increased further in 2011 if the potential positive impacts of several anti-poverty and employment generation intervention programmes are not taken into account, but this can only be ascertained at the conclusion of the 2011 survey later this year.

16. Ladies and gentlemen, it is my expectation that the Nigeria Poverty Profile 2010 Report will serve as a useful tool for candid and constructive public discourse to enable all stakeholders in the Nigerian economy make informed decisions for the good of our dear country.

http://www.proshareng.com/news/16302.html.
You can open the link to download the report.

This report shows the venue, date, time, i choose to believe it.
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by emiye(m): 10:54am On Dec 16, 2013
ngozievergreen:

U have just confirmed that yorubas are poorer

what i wrote is not for you, you don't have the capacity to understand it.
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by superstar1(m): 11:01am On Dec 16, 2013
One_Naira:

LMFAO @ Logging in and out with his Ids just to speak. Creepy!!!!!!!!!! You need a psychiatrist. I thought Musiwa is the only mentally unstable yoruba on NL but it's obvious, there is alot of ya'll. You the fifth one thus far

Since I was a child, my mother told me not to talk to crazy nigg@s and that advice have never wronged me before so I'm done. Take your craziness to Ngozi or whoever is willing to deal with it.

Sincerely, you ought to be on a leash at Aro.
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by OneNaira6: 11:09am On Dec 16, 2013
emiye:

You can open the link to download the report.

This report shows the venue, date, time, i choose to believe it.

What you provided is something written in 2013 at a conference done in 2012 which contradicts what was written in 2009. I think I'll stick with what was reported by the Nigerian newspaper in 2009/2010 when the actual statistics was conducted and the report produced than an article that was written in year 2012 that emphasized what he tried to pass off in year 2011/2012, that he recanted because jigawa complaints about the false information. This time around he still using the same statistics but changing the year to 2010.

Another national poverty program in Nigeria at the same the poverty index was conducted which again contradicts the conference and the figure the man, a yoruba man at that, tried to pass off in year 2012.
https://www.nairaland.com/554457/anambra-poverty-rate-lowest-nigeria

Yeah, I'll stick with the information that came out the actual year the index was conducted, not the ones that came 2 years later with a completely different information.

2 Likes

Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by emiye(m): 11:34am On Dec 16, 2013
One_Naira:

What you provided is something written in 2013 at a conference done in 2012 which contradicts what was written in 2009. I think I'll stick with what was reported by the Nigerian newspaper in 2009/2010 when the actual statistics was conducted and the report produced than an article that was written in year 2012 that emphasized what he tried to pass off in year 2011/2012, that he recanted because jigawa complaints about the false information. This time around he still using the same statistics but changing the year to 2010.

Another national poverty program in Nigeria at the same the poverty index was conducted which again contradicts the conference and the figure the man, a yoruba man at that, tried to pass off in year 2012.
https://www.nairaland.com/554457/anambra-poverty-rate-lowest-nigeria

Yeah, I'll stick with the information that came out the actual year the index was conducted, not the ones that came 2 years later with a completely different information.

The verbatim report was published in Feb, 2012, carried by the top national dailies (punch, vanguard,...) While i understand your resistance to the obvious and reality, i will suggest you dont throw in the ethnic card to rubbish the real report. DR Kale is a yoruba man, but he did not single handedly conduct the research, and NBS is not a private entity.
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by mandarin: 11:34am On Dec 16, 2013
MajeMedia: Another myth i would like to debunk.

Igbos do "low skill work" or don't value education. This is the funniest lie in stereotyping in Nigeria.

The Igbos that leave igbo land are frontiers men. They're not going to leave Abia to work in the civil service of Lagos. At the same time Yorubas that are in igbo land aren't working in the state civil service. Now, name one company or industry in Nigeria that doesn't have an over-representation of igbos.

Again, Imo, Delta, Anambra, and Abia EVER year trade places for #1 in Jamb scores, and WAEC. These are facts. Literacy in all igbo states, except Ebonyi, is 94%+. You have never met an Igbo man or woman that doesn't speak english, every well, and english is taught in schools. I met Yorubas Edos and Hausas that don't speak english, the language of education in Nigeria. You will never meet a homeless igbo man or one that isn't feeding his or her family.

It's not fair that we'll resort to lies to insulting igbos. You can say that we're into international crime, and we'll agree. You can see we're over zealous about other people's lands and we'll agree. But to say that we're not educated, or that we're poor...there's no reason to lie about reality. The same way I'm not going to say Yorubas aren't open minded and accommodating, they are very open minded and accomodating. I'm not going to say that Yorubas don't value education and their culture because this isn't reality.

To come in and say the igbos work 'low skill work' because the igbos that go to your state are frontiersmen is foolish because the head of the IMF is Igbo, there's an Igbo in the UK and Polish parliment, an Igbo heads the NY stock exchange, and in Lagos it's self every bank and firm of science is flooded with Igbos. Igbos are building computers, cars, TV, radios etc, what exactly is low skill about this?

Alaba market and places like that are for young men that feel their personal business skill will help them raise faster than civil service. Many of the men there are college educated and also work as pharmacists and other skilled trades.

Good talk. I think the Igbo and Yoruba folks represents the best in Nigeria's sphere. The two groups are living in contest of their lives? Igbos are individualistic while Yoruba are communal and metropolitan. This does not take anything away from the Igbo folks, they are astute educationally and economically. I do not take anything from them.We can sit down and list all their ill contributions to Nigeria but they have contributed positively as well.
I think the culture of individualism is robbing the region of monumental developments , it makes them the highest beneficiary of Nigeria's unity and the worst loser in it.
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by emiye(m): 11:48am On Dec 16, 2013
mandarin:

Good talk. I think the Igbo and Yoruba folks represents the best in Nigeria's sphere. The two groups are living in contest of their lives? Igbos are individualistic while Yoruba are communal and metropolitan. This does not take anything away from the Igbo folks, they are astute educationally and economically. I do not take anything from them.We can sit down and list all their ill contributions to Nigeria but they have contributed positively as well.
I think the culture of individualism is robbing the region of monumental developments , it makes them the highest beneficiary of Nigeria's unity and the worst loser in it.

As to the highlighted, it is the absolute truth as regards the three geopolitical zones in the south (south west, south-south and South east).

Any sensible govt in any state should prioritise aggresive drive for increase IGR, bacause of the "what if Nigeria breaks" situation.
I am certain the south east is bringing in the least to nigerian fiscal table amongst the 3 southern zones. with over 60% of south east igbos out of their SE lands and a landlocked region, the SE will be the biggest loser amongst the se, ss and sw zones should Nigeria break.
Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by ChinoElects1: 11:48am On Dec 16, 2013
A corper serving in ibadam just forwarded this picture of a yorobar woman serving amala and ewedu to yorobass on the street..

2 Likes

Re: The IGR Debate - Reloaded! by achi4u(m): 12:25pm On Dec 16, 2013
Chino-elect is baaaaaack!!!

with a dangerous picture gringrin

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

OMG! Okorocha Is Evil - By Morakinyo Olugbiji / Amaechi’s, Wike’s Face-off Deepens / Ikenga Ugochinyere Resigns As Saraki's Aide, Forms Political Party, Now Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.