Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,981 members, 7,806,869 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South (25706 Views)

Saraki:To Hell With Morality, Senate Tells Nigerians / Reward Amaechi For His Courageous Support, North Tells Buhari / IMF To FG : Dont Waste Your Oil Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 4:10pm On Jul 29, 2008
To hell with your oil, North tells South

JOHN SHIKLAM, Kaduna

The governors of the 19 northern states declared yesterday that the region can survive on its own with or without proceeds from oil, maintaining that all they needed was to develop the agricultural sector.

They governors also debunked claims that the people of the North are parasites on other regions in the country, alleging, however, that the collapse of industries in the region was part of international conspiracy against the North.

Chairman of the Northern Governors’ Forum (NGF) and governor of Niger State, Dr. Babangida Aliyu, who stated this while speaking at the first northern agricultural summit held at the Arewa House, Kaduna, added that the north has the capacity to solve its problems and do better through agriculture and education.

But the Adamawa State Governor, Vice Admiral Murtala Nyako, lamented that it is shameful that the nation cannot feed its people despite its vast arable lands.

Both governors spoke against the backdrop of complaints from the people of the Niger Delta that northerners are parasites who depend on oil from the region to develop their areas at the expense of the oil-producing areas.

"The future of the north lies in our hands, and we should today begin to shape her destiny. [size=14pt]As a Nigerian of Northern extraction, I feel very unhappy when someone describes me as a parasite because of oil, when I know I have the capacity to solve my problems, and probably do even better through agriculture and education," Dr. Aliyu said. [/size]

On what he described as de-industrialization of the North, Dr. Aliyu said that: "Most of the plants have been probably sold to Asians who in turn shut them down as a part of international conspiracy to turn the north into dumping grounds for their goods and products while our farmers fold their arms in hapless confusion.

"We need to examine the issues that led to de-industrialization of the north, whereby many of the northern industries have been closed down with attendant consequences for the social security of our people". For instance, we need to be very clear on why the two tractor assembly plants located at Kano (tractors) and Bauchi (Styre tractors) are today shut down, or why most of our textile factories are out of business. Our fertilizer plants are producing below installed capacity or have been shut down, thus making the commodity expensive and inaccessible. We must continue to find answers to the question: what went wrong?," he said.

[size=14pt]In his speech, Nyako said that the time had come for "the North to wake up and correct the erroneous impression that we are seen as economic parasites."[/size]
[size=14pt]
According to Vice Admiral Nyako, "no nation has ever enjoyed lasting peace and stability, or could ever survive when only a few of its citizens wallow in wealth and affluence at par with the rich of other nations, while the rest of its citizens are entrapped in poverty," adding that, "the simple truth is that the above reality obtains more in the North than other parts of the country." [/size]

He also said: Available infrastructure is decaying by the day. The scope and quality of education in the North, including acquisition of basic skills are declining with amazing rapidity. Resulting from the above, the levels of poverty in the Northern states are reaching legendary dimensions, The plain reality is that poverty in Nigeria today is almost exclusively a Northern preserve."

In his address on the occasion, the minister of agriculture and water resources, Dr. Sayid Abba Ruma, said that the federal government would from next year stop the procurement and distribution of fertilizer to farmers.

Ruma said the government decided to take this step following the discovery that the subsidy input has not reflected in the prices at which fertilizer was being sold to farmers.

The minister also announced the government’s plan to build agro-industrial parks in the six geo-political zones of the country with a view to further developing agriculture.

http://www.champion-newspapers.com/news/article1_290708.htm
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 4:11pm On Jul 29, 2008
I think they are reacting to Soludo's comments. I knew It!!! Is it possible that this northerners may take this vex to another level and secede? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided, oooh thank God.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Gonorrhea(m): 4:15pm On Jul 29, 2008
To hell with thier KuliKuli and Nama! grin

1 Like

Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 4:29pm On Jul 29, 2008
To hell with their KuliKuli and Nama!
Quit hating, they don't need you anymore!!! tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

Oooh, I cry, I'll surely miss them.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by vigasimple(m): 4:30pm On Jul 29, 2008
The governor of Niger state is a very educated and intelligent man and I take it that he took offense in the statement of 'the North being a parasite on the south on oil'.

Whether or not that the North is a parasite on the oil is one isssue another is the statement. we should all avoid statement that are inflamatory.

The truth is a that a lot of our brothers and sisters in the North need more education as the governor has rightly pointed out including the Governor of Adamawa state. If the governor of Adamawa is what they can produce as a Governor up north, then they have a long way to go.

The oil issues is one of the way the Niger Delta are trying to fight back as the local people did not see much benefits in what is being extracted from their backyard and fantastic development is happening in other areas especially in the North. That is what the unfairness which lead to that statement- which in my opinion is highly inflamatory.

As of today, well over 90% of our income is from oil, so the North can make more noise than they like, the fact remains that it is this oil monies that is propping their govt.

The south south will not need to go to hell with the Oil, the north should stop taking Federal allocation and allows the south south to have them for their own development. By the way I am not from the south south. so I am being objective.

Two wrong does not make a right, both are two extreme statements. we should be finding a way to work together not against each other.

1 Like

Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by debosky(m): 4:34pm On Jul 29, 2008
They ARE parasites for the most part - I hope the outrage leads to concrete action and economic development.

These same governors are driving jeeps and convoys sourced from ND money and come out to talk nonsense. Take away oil revenue and see if they'll be able to afford to give press conferences. illiterate hicks. tongue
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by McKren(m): 4:38pm On Jul 29, 2008
I do agree that Babangida Aliyu is one of the Brightest Governors of this generation

I do believe we are coming nearer the truth, States should be allowed to manage their own resources and pay taxes to the central government and you will see how ingenuity will spring from no where.

Every part of the country is blessed, but over dependence on oil is simply blinding us to this reality
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by cold(m): 4:40pm On Jul 29, 2008
Deepzone what is inflamatory abt the remark.Don't you think this guys need to be told the truth & point blank too in order to wake them up from their slumber.What have they contributed to this entity called Nigeria.They'll even come out to say that they have banned the sale/consumption of alchohol & still insist on sharing VAT with states that sell & consume alchoholic beverages.Bloody hypocrites!!!
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jul 29, 2008
We can all afford to live without oil; as a matter of fact, we were living quite well before the oil doom boom. If there's anythings to learn from it, its that money is not everything.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Gonorrhea(m): 4:48pm On Jul 29, 2008
DeepZone:

Quit hating, they don't need you anymore!!! tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

Oooh, I cry, I'll surely miss them.

grin

i no dey hate

i just pity my house, who go be our gateman?! grin
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 4:55pm On Jul 29, 2008
These same governors are driving jeeps and convoys sourced from ND money and come out to talk nonsense. Take away oil revenue and see if they'll be able to afford to give press conferences. illiterate hicks

You tend to forget that the North feeds the nation. So, you are also dependent on them for food. And they are not a bunch of illiterates abeg.

1 Like

Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Kobojunkie: 5:08pm On Jul 29, 2008
Gonorrhea:

To hell with their KuliKuli and Nama! grin

ROFLMAO!!
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by zillaxy: 5:19pm On Jul 29, 2008
vigasimple:

The governor of Niger state is a very educated and intelligent man and I take it that he took offense in the statement of 'the North being a parasite on the south on oil'.

Whether or not that the North is a parasite on the oil is one isssue another is the statement. we should all avoid statement that are inflamatory.

The truth is a that a lot of our brothers and sisters in the North need more education as the governor has rightly pointed out including the Governor of Adamawa state. If the governor of Adamawa is what they can produce as a Governor up north, then they have a long way to go.

The oil issues is one of the way the Niger Delta are trying to fight back as the local people did not see much benefits in what is being extracted from their backyard and fantastic development is happening in other areas especially in the North. That is what the unfairness which lead to that statement- which in my opinion is highly inflamatory.

As of today, well over 90% of our income is from oil, so the North can make more noise than they like, the fact remains that it is this oil monies that is propping their govt.

The south south will not need to go to hell with the Oil, the north should stop taking Federal allocation and allows the south south to have them for their own development. By the way I am not from the south south. so I am being objective.

Two wrong does not make a right, both are two extreme statements. we should be finding a way to work together not against each other.

what a very stupid comment to make.
have you been to the state and seen what he has accomplished especially compared to his predecessor?

not only did he rise to be a chief of naval staff, he is a very respected rtd admiral who did a great job as governor of Niger.

and please can you tell us how amazing your own state and governor are?

i am sick and tired of some southern nigerian idiots who seem to think they're better than everyone in the north.
we did vote for him and are proud of what he's doing.

when your state is up to standard then you can come back in here and make noise, for now please stick to what you know, that just so happens not to be Adamawa.

1 Like

Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jul 29, 2008
aboki
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by idupaul: 5:39pm On Jul 29, 2008
that the collapse of industries in the region was part of international conspiracy against the North.

what conspiracy, i de fear now ooo, hahahahaha, something is wrong with these men.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 5:49pm On Jul 29, 2008
what conspiracy, i de fear now ooo, hahahahaha, something is wrong with these men.
Yes now; the south conspired with the westerners to collapse their industries. Abiola closed down His VW plant in kaduna; Ekene dili chuku closed down his mercedes plant in the north while the enugu one is running and coscharis(another ibo enemy) refused to take his BMW up north. What other proof do you need? grin grin grin grin
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by idupaul: 5:58pm On Jul 29, 2008
its all lies, constant riots contributed in the Kano industries packing up.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jul 29, 2008
@topic

I still cant believe that majority of Nigerians are still so stupid in this 2008.

Shame on you all.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 6:22pm On Jul 29, 2008
its all lies, constant riots contributed in the Kano industries packing up.

They've started packing up before the riots.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Arnold1(m): 6:40pm On Jul 29, 2008
DeepZone:

You tend to forget that the North feeds the nation. So, you are also dependent on them for food. And they are not a bunch of illiterates abeg.

The central part of the country to an extent "feeds the nation". States like Benue, Kogi etc.

I really don't consider them the North.

@post

What about the other parts of the country besides the South south ? Aren't they equally dependent on oil ?

Can many of the states besides the north survive today without oil money ?
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 29, 2008
Arnold1:

The central part of the country to an extent "feeds the nation". States like Benue, Kogi etc.

I really don't consider them the North.

@post

What about the other parts of the country besides the South south ? Aren't they equally dependent on oil ?

Could you name those parts pls.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 6:48pm On Jul 29, 2008

States like what cos i know my osun state is rich in everything. shoot!! undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jul 29, 2008
zillaxy:

what a very stupid comment to make.
have you been to the state and seen what he has accomplished especially compared to his predecessor?

not only did he rise to be a chief of naval staff, he is a very respected rtd admiral who did a great job as governor of Niger.

and please can you tell us how amazing your own state and governor are?

i am sick and tired of some southern nigerian idiots who seem to think they're better than everyone in the north.
we did vote for him and are proud of what he's doing.

when your state is up to standard then you can come back in here and make noise, for now please stick to what you know, that just so happens not to be Adamawa.

I've lived in Adamawa, its one of the most disgraceful states in Nigeria. I went to the FMC there once and for the next 10 months would rather visit Corp member doctors from the south than those gworro-chewing "doktors". I've never in my life seen "medical personnel" with so much free time.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Arnold1(m): 6:59pm On Jul 29, 2008
nuzo:

Could you name those parts please.

DeepZone:

States like what because i know my osun state is rich in everything. shoot!! undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

All the states in the South East and South West zones are the ones I am referring to.

If these states do not receive money from the center (fed govt) as it is today:-

1. They would not have enough money to run schools (primary, sec, college of ed, poly, universities)

2. They would not have enough to pay for all their civil servants

3. They would not have enough to run hospitals

4. They would not have enough to build roads

The list goes on !!!!

It is true that we are richer than the north (the south east and south west), but we do not pay enough taxes (especially individually)
to sustain the state governments.

It takes about N350 - N500 miilion naira to run the first generation universities (UI, Nsukka) per month. Can your
governors pay for this right now without money from the center ?
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by willy4: 7:09pm On Jul 29, 2008
Desert people are not the only parasite, Yoruba's are among
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 7:12pm On Jul 29, 2008

You are very very very stupid. He goat!!!
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 7:13pm On Jul 29, 2008
I've lived in Adamawa, its one of the most disgraceful states in Nigeria. I went to the FMC there once and for the next 10 months would rather visit Corp member doctors from the south than those gworro-chewing "doktors". I've never in my life seen "medical personnel" with so much free time.
Doubt it; There are good doctors and lawyers from Adamawa. Jubril Aminu comes to mind.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by tpia: 7:17pm On Jul 29, 2008
some hausa doctors in the south are actually very hardworking. There's one my friend used to know, who combined farming with his physician work.  He even faced down some Fulani who were grazing their cows on his land, and they left him alone. The guy also had a non-hausa fiance who I think was Yoruba.

There was another doctor who was also okay except for the polygamy stuff at his young age.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Tonim(f): 7:36pm On Jul 29, 2008
davidylan:

haha ! I don laugh tire grin

Arnold1:

All the states in the South East and South West zones are the ones I am referring to.

It is true that we are richer than the north (the south east and south west), but we do not pay enough taxes (especially individually)
to sustain the state governments.

It takes about N350 - N500 miilion naira to run the first generation universities (UI, Nsukka) per month. Can your
governors pay for this right now without money from the center ?

I get your point. I think you are actually right.
That said, the south would adjust better without oil than the north.

willy*2:

What is your problem with the yoruba people sef ? You jealous or what undecided
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by doyin13(m): 7:53pm On Jul 29, 2008
willy*2:

hehehehe. . . .willy willy.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by willy4: 8:07pm On Jul 29, 2008
DeepZone:

You are very very very stupid. He goat!!!
You are very very very stupid Man Goat!!!
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by tpia: 8:18pm On Jul 29, 2008
na person wey get time dey answer this willywilly. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Godswill Akpabio Receives Wild Cheers As He Touches Down In Akwa Ibom..photos / Enugu Attack: Police Releases Statement / Don't Field Omisore For Osun East Senatorial Slot- Ijesa Indigenes To Oshiomhole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.