Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,885 members, 7,802,859 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:35 PM

Babalawos Are Not Supposed To Be Very Rich Nor Are They Poor - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Babalawos Are Not Supposed To Be Very Rich Nor Are They Poor (1125 Views)

Why Babalawos Never Do Money Ritual? / Why Do Babalawos And Other Ritualists Still Remain Poor? / Watch How A Foolish Whiteman Disrupts What Was Supposed To Be A Perfect Concert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Babalawos Are Not Supposed To Be Very Rich Nor Are They Poor by ghostofsparta(m): 8:13am On Dec 13, 2013
Madam speaker: Have you ever wondered why all these ritualists and babalawos still remain poor even though they make others get rich overnight?... Many people go to them for help to become rich or get one thing or the other...i wonder why their customers dont ask them this question... Pls why are they still poor?

The number of threads on this forum on topics that distorts and dilute several aspect of indigenous believe system (especially that of the Yoruba/Odudua origin) are so much than I can respond to, it pains me when I imagine the sorts of untruths and falsehood they dish out to those who don't know anything but care to read. I just tried to muster up some strength to type you a respond for the sake of others. Your question is not a new one, it's an old and stale one, it's the most favourite question adherents of Abrahamic religions here in Nigeria love throwing around to score a seemingly logical point, all in their unrelenting bid to discredit and downplay practitioners of ancestral believe system in this part of the world. First of all, I will assume you to be one among the 90% of Nigerians who think they know or understand who a Babalawo is, or what the title 'Babalawo' means. Many always ignorantly refer to an Onisegun and an Adahunse as 'Babalawo'. It's a big error many of you keep making and it is a reflection of how culturally uneducated our peoples are, especially many Yorubas when it comes to true traditional education. I'm not bragging to know all or everything but I conduct my researches deeply using deconstructive analysis to construct an understanding out of the complex believe system of my ancestors. Ever since on Nairaland, I have always detect and point out misconceptions, false presumptions and errors in many statements and interpretations from both those who don't know but think they know and those who know. The problem lies in the impossibility of translating precisely many aspects of Yoruba cosmogony as contained in Ifa, into the English language. For instance it erroneous to say "Odudua fell from heaven", Ifa states 'Odudua atewon ro', some traditionally educated ones on Nairaland may translate it as 'Odudua descended from heaven' which is very incorrect because 'Heaven'; a paradisical abode for the righteous is an Abrahamic concept intrinsic to Christianity, Islam(Jannah) and Judaism(Shamayim) just like the notion of Elysium, Nirvana and Ganghes, Valhalla are only exclusive to the Greek, Chinese, Hindus and Scandinavian respectively. Some may translate it as 'Odudua climbed down from the sky' which is quite up to it but still incorrect because one need to understand that the idea of deities residing and descending from a location that is usually skyward is un- African, it is a concept which was gradually infused into our believe system to which even most native practitioners today, while trying to explain somethings to a questioner unknowingly tend to use English 'terms' that doesn't exactly transliterate to what they indeed want to clarify, hence the listener processing the information within the context of Abrahamic faith. Since Orun is sky, Ofurufu is cloud, the correct translation is 'Odudua manifested from Orun', Orun refers to Ajule-orun which is the same as Ikole-orun. It is not the same as the Christian 'Heaven'.

Back to the topic, a BABALAWO is a strong title whose meaning encompasses lot of privileges, in my book, I describe the title as The Keeper of Secrets and Custodian of esoteric knowledges while ONISEGUNS are Practitioners of Supernatural magic.

Madam speaker: Have you ever wondered why all these ritualists and babalawos still remain poor even though they make others get rich overnight?... Many people go to them for help to become rich or get one thing or the other...i wonder why their customers dont ask them this question... Pls why are they still poor?

What's your definition of poor? If by poor, you mean stupendous wealth, well then I would say that there are Babalawos who do have, although very few, and some who doesn't desire wealth as such. Another thing you are obviously ignorant of is the underlying complex principle guiding the conditions getting rich without any legit effort. Check out this link for more info.

2 Likes

Re: Babalawos Are Not Supposed To Be Very Rich Nor Are They Poor by mikael78: 8:26am On Dec 13, 2013
Okayyyyyyyy

(1) (Reply)

I Will Help Guide You On The Principle Things About Ritual Performance. / Welcome To Opobo / Mixed Culture Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.