Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,576 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:58 PM

Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) (27856 Views)

Breaking News: Shoprite Ikeja Sealed !!! / Shoprite Ibadan Imports Banana And Watermelon From Ghana And SA / 10 Types Of People You'll Probably Meet At Shoprite (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by biodunid: 6:43pm On Dec 14, 2013
I just sent the note below to Shoprite and hope they act on it but until they do I will suggest you read and safeguard yourself. If the security man had done a one to one check between my purchases and my receipt two months ago the Cashier would have denied I paid cash for the sneakers and I would have been up the creek without a paddle. Businesses that do not put in place adequate internal controls put us all at risk.

On two of my last three monthly visits to your store at Ikeja I have been told by the Cashier that certain medium value (N2,000 - N3,000) items couldn't be scanned and that I should pay Cash. The first time this happened I innocently complied but found that cash was taken and the item was handed over without entering it into the system or giving me any kind of receipt. On each of those occasions I had a trolley full of stuff. After the first incident it occurred to me that I (and you) had just fallen victim of a scam. Apparently your cashier was banking on the volume of items bought to ensure that the security men wouldn't and couldn't carry out a one to one check between receipt and purchases. The item in question the first time was a pair of canvas shoes costing about N3k.

The second time this was tried with me I was prepared. I had bought five packs of Second House nuts - 1 Hazel nut, 1 Walnut, 2 Pistachio and 1 Almond each costing about N2,500 in addition to everything else we had (dozens of cans of non alcoholic beer too). On getting to the end the Cashier said she couldn't scan two bags of nuts and asked me to pay Cash. I checked and found she was holding on to 1 bag of Almonds and 1 bag of Pistachio. I wondered why the Pistachio bag was unscannable when the 2nd bag of the same product had been successfully scanned. She initially argued that they were different but when I insisted she brought it out from the items already scanned and scanned it again. She then asked me to pay cash for the bag of Almonds still outstanding. I insisted she find a way to scan it or leave it out of my purchases. I wound up going home without Almonds that day.

This second incident happened just last Sunday and I trust my eclectic mix of purchases and my total bill which was N29k will suffice for you to search through your records in order to track down the culprit and set a trap for her. She wasn't the one that pulled a similar stunt on me two months back but hopefully you can make an example of her and fix this huge gap in your controls before they rob you blind and give Nigeria a worse name.

17 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Afam4eva(m): 12:11am On Dec 15, 2013
The poverty condition in this country is mind bugging. I don't know why people must always creatively find an opportunity to scam.

2 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by i1: 2:09am On Dec 15, 2013
2 things here: 1 they might not be able to genuinely scan all purchased items and its not the duty of the security man to know evrything I bought! These companies have security measures in place, from Video cameras, to POS terminals. At the end of the day, a manager is tasked with stock taking! Am sure its a case of plenty people for queue no manager to punch the item purchased. Ps, next time buy a canvass, if she doesn't scan it and you pay cash, when leaving tell the security guys and watch their reaction.(Ps: make sure the notes you used to pay is marked) ciao

2 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by CODEEATER(m): 1:14pm On Dec 15, 2013
Hw unfortunate

IN OTHER NEWS...FP SPACE BOOKED
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Nobody: 1:15pm On Dec 15, 2013
This is serious and weighty allegations.....and if they sack her over that now...she will start again from square one looking for another menial job.
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by dheaven: 1:16pm On Dec 15, 2013
@ Op Is it only in Ikeja this things are happening?

1 Like

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Olugbenger(m): 1:16pm On Dec 15, 2013
Op, you are wicked for exposing this. You are spoiling some poor folks source of income even when you claim to be very rich. embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by budusky05(m): 1:17pm On Dec 15, 2013
Wats is going on in this country? Get rich every were, poeples way of life need to change serious

2 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by LankyBrosMedia(m): 1:19pm On Dec 15, 2013
You bought non alcoholic beer? I didn't know they exist.

9 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Pukkah: 1:21pm On Dec 15, 2013
Olugbenger: Op, you are wicked for exposing this. You are spoiling some poor folks source of income even when you claim to be very rich. embarassed embarassed

Is this a joke or something?

@post

The security inside the supermart is lax. Beggars beg for money and young men market their musical CDs inside the place.

14 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by BootyAssassin: 1:22pm On Dec 15, 2013

1 Like

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by alphaconde(m): 1:23pm On Dec 15, 2013
LankyBrosMedia: You bought non alcoholic beer? I didn't know they exist.
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by BabaEleko(m): 1:23pm On Dec 15, 2013
Naija na jungle. Everybody dey scam anybody ni. Worker scam shopper, shoprite scam Nigerians, Aunty stella scam aviation, FG scam ASUU, NNPC scam Federal reserve, Bode George say Tinubu scam am with false conviction so JONATHAN give BODE support to scam JUSTICE. grin grin

25 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by chiderao: 1:23pm On Dec 15, 2013
Next time it happened alert the manager as they work together with the security

1 Like

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Olateef(m): 1:24pm On Dec 15, 2013
Olugbenger: Op, you are wicked for exposing this. You are spoiling some poor folks source of income even when you claim to be very rich. embarassed embarassed
I doubt if this country is going to be corruption free..What's our headache if that's her source of income? She should be punished for it

3 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by NadiaSA1(f): 1:24pm On Dec 15, 2013
Cheiiii the letter is too long to read

Can I get a summary please
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by freety(m): 1:24pm On Dec 15, 2013
Nah where man dey work nah him dey chop, dats why oyibo caller am work shop

2 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:26pm On Dec 15, 2013
Make we dey shine our eyes o!
God punish scammers.

1 Like

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by rodeo0070(m): 1:26pm On Dec 15, 2013
Just hear yourself!...

8 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by free2ryhme: 1:26pm On Dec 15, 2013
How are we not suRe d secuRity men are not paRt of dis scam
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by ojeffo: 1:27pm On Dec 15, 2013
LankyBrosMedia:
You bought non alcoholic beer? I didn't know they exist.
Which rock do u reside in plsss?.....smh

6 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by alphaconde(m): 1:28pm On Dec 15, 2013
Non alcoholic beer ko, sugary water ni
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Okoberry: 1:29pm On Dec 15, 2013

I'm not surprised at your comment. It shows the character you are made of. I'm sure you don't in life earn a decent and honest income from your silly comment. Are the cashiers not being paid for their work? Would you be happy if it was your personal business that is being drained by conscienceless workers? Shame on you!

16 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by omobadurella(m): 1:29pm On Dec 15, 2013
See talk ooh... chai... u 1 of ehm ryt?
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by alphaconde(m): 1:30pm On Dec 15, 2013
I don't even understand what the op is talking about. Please can someone kindly tell me what hapenned

3 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Nobody: 1:30pm On Dec 15, 2013
LankyBrosMedia: You bought non alcoholic beer? I didn't know they exist.
dude how will u know? You stay in mushin .

2 Likes

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by kambili999(f): 1:31pm On Dec 15, 2013
angry i will watch out for dem murafukaz bt d pro dere is @op i dnt undastand ur point
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by boogiejay(m): 1:32pm On Dec 15, 2013
tnk God i made front page!!! @topic. am gonna burst dia brain awt if i cm across anyone of dem
Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Nobody: 1:32pm On Dec 15, 2013
alpha conde: I don't even understand what the op is talking about. Please can someone kindly tell me what hapenned
with my own 10mb wey Mtn dash me abi? Ok

1 Like

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by mimicue(f): 1:32pm On Dec 15, 2013

Are u for real..that's pure cheating..... And that's why they can't be rich..I detest such behaviour.. Next time alert their manager all those sales peeps are thieves...it'd their type that spoil business for d owner

1 Like

Re: Watch Out For Scammers At Shoprite (ikeja) by Gboliwe: 1:32pm On Dec 15, 2013
It doesnt happen only in shoprite, most big supermarkets do this. You will be shocked that the security man is privy to the 'game'

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How Do I Remove D 'okirika' Smell From Resell Clothing? / 4 Online Businesses With Low Startup Capital That Will Make You Rich In 2018 / CBN To Reduce The Volume Of N500, N1000 In Circulation - Nairametrics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.