Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:08 PM

Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups (2394 Views)

Obasanjo's Letter To Senate And House Of Representatives / Buhari Can’t Double President, Petroleum Minister – Ijaw Groups / Boko Haram Carries Out First Attack On Niger Republic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by bcomputer101: 1:35am On Dec 15, 2013
The Ijaw Republican Assembly has condemned the letter
sent to President Goodluck Jonathan by former
President Olusegun Obasanjo, describing it as an attack
on the oil-producing South-South geopolitical zone.
The spokesperson of the Ijaw group, Annkio Briggs, in
an interview with SUNDAY PUNCH said by writing the
letter, Obasanjo sought to throw Nigeria into turmoil
and turn around to blame Jonathan for it.
Briggs said the letter was born out of Obasanjo’s
frustration due to Jonathan’s refusal to allow him rule
the country indirectly.
She said, “It is really sad for Obasanjo to have written
such a letter to Jonathan. I find it such a pity that a man
like Obasanjo can at this particular time want to throw
Nigeria into turmoil, because his letter was not just an
attack on Jonathan as a person but an attack on the
South-South, and our right to produce a President. This
is the way we are looking at it from the Niger Delta.”
The group accused Obasanjo of throwing the PDP into
disarray, adding that the former President was not in a
position to accuse Jonathan of corruption.
The group also warned that if Jonathan was not allowed
to contest for a second term in 2015, the people of the
Niger Delta would ensure that other regions of the
country do not get the proceeds of the oil and gas in the
region.
Also, on Friday, the Niger Delta Youth Administrative
Council flayed former President Olusegun Obasanjo for
allegedly writing a derogatory letter to President
Goodluck Jonathan, describing the letter as a distraction
to the Federal Government.
A member of the council, Marvin Yobana, who spoke on
behalf of the council in Abuja on Friday stated that
Obasanjo had no moral justification to ask Jonathan not
to contest for re-election in 2015.
Yobana, who is the African representative in World
Association of Youths, stated that Obasanjo should
tread the path of reconciliation and statesmanship like
the late South African President, Nelson Mandela,
instead of writing letters capable of over-heating the
polity.
The youth leader admitted that the former president
had the right to advise Jonathan, but noted that his
letter should not be sensational or derogatory. He
stressed that he should rather support the current
administration to actualise its goals of generating
employment and reforming the power sector, among
others.
The National Coordinator, North Central/South-East of
the Niger Delta Peoples’ Volunteer Force, Emmanuel
Amakiri, who also reacted to Obasanjo’s letter to
President Jonathan, pleaded with the former leader not
to overheat the polity with politically hostile words,
noting that the decision to seek re-election belonged to
Jonathan and the Nigerian electorate.
He said, “Obasanjo was instrumental to Jonathan’s
emergence as president and he is therefore expected to
interface with those pressuring Jonathan not to contest,
instead of trying to stop the President from contesting
for re-election. We plead with Obasanjo to look at the
issue with equity and fairness and stop overheating the
polity with provocative letters.”
In an eight-page letter to Jonathan, Obasanjo criticised
the present administration, accusing the President of
being ineffective in governance and fighting corruption,
and also allowing himself to be possessed by some
people of the Ijaw nationality.

Source: www.punchng.com/news/obasanjos-letter-attack-on-niger-delta-ijaw-groups/
Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by Nobody: 2:47am On Dec 15, 2013
Why is it that only Ijaqws are always calling anyone against GEJ as against ND? Ijaw fight your own battles!! Urhobo man nuh send you!! Itsekiri man no go join you dey call Yorubas parasites. Edo man no fit even look south when the sun sets in the west. Ijaw group said ND must, Ijaw group said ND is, Ijaw group said ND should,, Ijaw group say ND will. Na only Ijaw dey ND?

14 Likes

Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by scribble: 4:02am On Dec 15, 2013
Ijaw clowns. Make una drink the oyel Na. U think say Na our problem. I hear to meet patience aka mama peace one has to drop 10 million or $100k.

Ijaws....funny fishermen

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by CircleOfWilis: 5:10am On Dec 15, 2013
bigots,

let the points put foward by obasanjo be looked into, obasanjo spoke the mind of the majority!

ijaw ppl like playin the victim card

#one najeria

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by Nobody: 5:30am On Dec 15, 2013
0lumide: Why is it that only Ijaqws are always calling anyone against GEJ as against ND? Ijaw fight your own battles!! Urhobo man nuh send you!! Itsekiri man no go join you dey call Yorubas parasites. Edo man no fit even look south when the sun sets in the west. Ijaw group said ND must, Ijaw group said ND is, Ijaw group said ND should,, Ijaw group say ND will. Na only Ijaw dey ND?

Mumu using divide and rule tactics is not going to help you fools.who told you urhobo and itsekiri and oter niger-delta tribes 'do not send you'? As if you will support any non-ijaw ND president

11 Likes

Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by Nobody: 5:31am On Dec 15, 2013
Circle-Of-Wilis:
bigots,

let the points put foward by obasanjo be looked into, obasanjo spoke the mind of the majority!

#one najeria

Which of those points was obasanjo not equallly guilty of? Imagine someone who wanted to go for third term advising someone against going for second term.SMH

7 Likes

Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by CircleOfWilis: 5:53am On Dec 15, 2013
chukwudi44:

Which of those points was obasanjo not equallly guilty of? Imagine someone who wanted to go for third term advising someone against going for second term.SMH
GEJ shld be the change, so many voted 4 him thinkin he will make a difference..he is worst! Comparing him with the writer of the letter wont solve the problm...
Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by Wsdm: 6:11am On Dec 15, 2013
Truly gas flaring could cause the inhabitants of a certain region low IQ.
Politics is a game of number and not the amount of oil. The Yorubas having known this did'nt make inflammatory statements when Obassanjo was been criticized which made him to easily rise to power for the second time.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by Femolacaster(m): 6:45am On Dec 15, 2013
Circle-Of-Wilis:
bigots,

#one najeria
Most sensible comment so far!
Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by Nobody: 6:58am On Dec 15, 2013
Wsdm: Truly gas flaring could cause the inhabitants of a certain region low IQ.
Politics is a game of number and not the amount of oil. The Yorubas having known this did'nt make inflammatory statements when Obassanjo was been criticized which made him to easily rise to power for the second time.

Seriously dude!! Yorubas didn't make any inflammatory statements indeed!! Maybe you were not in this country when OPC's Fasehun was making noise and threatening fire and brimestone.Tinubu even declared Nzeribe banned in lagos for trying to impeach Obasanjo

Nigerian politics is no game of numbers as the party in power @ the centre always wins elections.better brace up for that

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by nofij(m): 6:58am On Dec 15, 2013
I expected a direct reply from whichever group 'defending' Papa peace but all we see is support for their 'brother' which obviously other regions in Nigeria would have done same.

With the way the polity is heated up, there is no end in sight to regional politics in this country.

I have that natural feeling am not a Nigerian because i dont reason like one.
Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by kokoA(m): 7:07am On Dec 15, 2013
This is exactly what obj was saying in his letter.. Under GEJ, it has always being "ijaw this","ijaw that".. He is the president of NIGERIA for phuks sake! You dumb ethnic association should keep short and allow "nigerians" defend their president. As if na only ijaw votes put am dia.. Olodos!

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by Tsmooth1(m): 7:07am On Dec 15, 2013
Ijaw group or drunkard group?

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by Btruth: 7:10am On Dec 15, 2013
?
Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by warlei(m): 7:14am On Dec 15, 2013
T-smooth:
Ijaw group or drunkard group?
IJAW PALMWINE GROUP.

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by 6cence: 7:55am On Dec 15, 2013
Two wrongs cannot make a right.
Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by citizenY(m): 8:15am On Dec 15, 2013
I do not want to believe that Ankio Briggs name is associated with this statement.If so, this is very bad politics.

I understand the attitude of the youth leaders, typical, but Ankio, should smell the coffee..

ARE THE CONTENTS OF THE LETTER TRUE?

WHAT ARE THE IMPLICATIONS?

I expect her to show leadership by staying at the background, shift to damage control mode and ensure that the GEJ project remains on course. Joining the youths and shooting in the dark, with empty threats, is not helpful

When the chips are down, how many votes can Ijaw give GEJ, even if age limitation is waived?
Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by talktimi(m): 8:50am On Dec 15, 2013
I honestly didnt bother reading the article since most of these so called "Ijaw groups" are room and parlor noise makers who have nothing tangible to write home about themselves or their immediate communities while their main sources of livelihood is political jobbing/praise singing. Tell me how is Obj's letter to Jonathan an attack on Niger Delta ? I have said it before and i'll say it again, Gej should as a matter of urgency get rid of the praise singers who surround him now because they will ultimately surround the next person even if the person happens to be his worst foe to continue their job of praise singing. He should also as a matter of urgency go through Obj's letter several times, read newspapers himself and go online himself to feel the pulse of the masses then decide how he really has to move this nation forward. The ministers signed a performance bond with him, he should effect it and drop those who want to spoil his name even if it means giving them a "soft landing"

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by takedat(m): 8:55am On Dec 15, 2013
bcomputer101:

The group also warned that if Jonathan was not allowed
to contest for a second term in 2015, the people of the
Niger Delta would ensure that other regions of the
country do not get the proceeds of the oil and gas in the
region.

Certain ethnic interests have hijacked and personalized the mandate given to Jonathan by Nigerians to themselves. One aspect where OBJ got it right in his 18 page diatribe is the accusation below;

“To allow or tacitly encourage people of ‘Ijaw
nation’ to throw insults on other Nigerians
from other parts of the country and threaten
fire and brimstone to protect your interest as
an Ijaw man is myopic and your not openly
quieting them is even more unfortunate."

Allowing Jonathan to contest or not for a second term is purely a PDP affair. Threatening other parts of the country is not only myopic but fo0lish, even if the PDP eventually hands the party's ticket to Jonathan will they also force others to vote for him? They are not making friends for Jonathan rather they are creating more enemies for him.

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by omenka(m): 9:11am On Dec 15, 2013
What happened to you Aniko You used to stand for the truth no matter what. Now you sound like you've also been bitten by the parasite.
Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by JulianBond007: 9:23am On Dec 15, 2013
Ijaw people should attack the message and not the messenger. God forsaken people seeking for relevance.
Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by talktimi(m): 9:25am On Dec 15, 2013
omenka: What happened to you Aniko You used to stand for the truth no matter what. Now you sound like you've also been bitten by the parasite.
Omenka, I am suprised that someone like you ever took that woman seriously.. Smh
Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by talktimi(m): 9:29am On Dec 15, 2013
JulianBond007: Ijaw people should attack the message and not the messenger. God forsaken people seeking for relevance.
access to the internet doesnt necessarily mean a person is adequately exposed. You might claim to be educated but your stereotyping of an entire ethnic group actually places you on a pedestal slightly below where illiterates and fo0lish people are placed.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by tovieye(f): 11:14am On Dec 15, 2013
warlei:
IJAW PALMWINE GROUP.
Ijaw group, drunkards? brother I believe you are not exposed. I laugh when I see aboki like u insulting ND
Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by tovieye(f): 11:16am On Dec 15, 2013
scribble: Ijaw clowns. Make una drink the oyel Na. U think say Na our problem. I hear to meet patience aka mama peace one has to drop 10 million or $100k.

Ijaws....funny fishermen
full u think say Nigeria fit survive without us
Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by citizenY(m): 11:21am On Dec 15, 2013
tovieye: full u think say Nigeria fit survive without us

As if you have not survived on others before!!!!!! Go and ask your elders
Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by solomon111(m): 11:25am On Dec 15, 2013
Very good.
The bereaved have begun to cry.
Let those that love "one Nigeria" take note.
Nothing must happen to GEJ or his second term ambition.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by Nobody: 11:33am On Dec 15, 2013
chukwudi44:

Mumu using divide and rule tactics is not going to help you fools.who told you urhobo and itsekiri and oter niger-delta tribes 'do not send you'? As if you will support any non-ijaw ND president

Dude leave that guy. Olumide has now become a spokeperson for us in the SS. I just dey laff. These guys dont know what is brewing.
U better remove GEJ at d polls. Any strong-arming tactic will be met with fierce resistance. So let us all wait for 2015. Then we can start talking about it.
Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by warlei(m): 11:44am On Dec 15, 2013
tovieye: Ijaw group, drunkards? brother I believe you are not exposed. I laugh when I see aboki like u insulting ND
See u.
Na. Me u dey call aboki
Woni jere e
Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by warlei(m): 11:47am On Dec 15, 2013
tovieye: full u think say Nigeria fit survive without us
Shut d Fvck up
Who wont survive without u.
Drink uP ur oyel.
We have ours,cocoa, Gold,oilpalms.

And not to forget
Africas largest size of intellectuals
Re: Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups by solomon111(m): 11:48am On Dec 15, 2013
PhenomenonVFX:

Dude leave that guy. Olumide has now become a spokeperson for us in the SS. I just dey laff. These guys dont know what is brewing.
U better remove GEJ at d polls. Any strong-arming tactic will be met with fierce resistance. So let us all wait for 2015. Then we can start talking about it.
Even if GEJ is removed at the polls which i doubt,it would take divine intervention for the niger-delta not to make the country ungovernable by crippling the entire economy of this country and frustrate the would-be president at the legislative chambers,just like GEJ is facing from the north.
Lesser men than GEJ have held power for 8 years.
Why should GEJ be frustrated out of office?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

You Can't Expect A Govt To Fix All The Roads In 8 Yrs - APC Chieftain,BARCANISTA / Who Is This Japhet Omojuwa Of A Guy & What Is His Problem? He Called GEJ, Idi0t / Caption This Headline of Gen Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.