Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,764 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:30 PM

My Personal Views On Going To Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Personal Views On Going To Church (945 Views)

Homeless Man Inspired Me To Go To Church Today (Photo) / See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday / What Are Your Views On Supernatural Occurrences? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Personal Views On Going To Church by GideonG(m): 11:10am On Dec 15, 2013
This is the first time I am posting on religion section of Nairaland. I just wrote my mind on Facebook and I thought I should share it with Nairaland.

Going to church is like a custom and tradition, most people go there because they are used to going there every Sunday, some even think that missing a church service is a huge sin. But only God knows... I hate to discuss religion, I'm not fond of judging people and I can never judge anybody because I believe I am advanced in thinking, but what bothers me is the prejudice and discrimination which have been prevalent throughout Nigeria. We tend to go the extra mile on religions issues but I will never blame anybody because whatever you teach a child diligently from the ages of
3 -13years will be so attached to their sub-conscious mind for ever and just like Newton's First Law Of Motion- Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it. Nobody can change your views! Unknown to you, 95% of the reason why you are in your present religion is because you were born into the family of that practicing religion and your mind was nurtured based on that since you were a kid! This is the first time I am saying this, and I hope I will not be misunderstood.

More than a decade ago I studied the bible from Genesis to revelation twice! This, only those that went to FGC Azare and were close to me from Jss2-ss1 can testify and my Mum too. And when I say studied I really mean studied, not just read or skim.(Forget this matter though, I just recalled it and I am not bragging).

In China, and India there population is in billions! Plenty of them are not even practicing our major religions. The world is full of people of different religions, but we all came from the same place and have a unified infinite intelligence as a divine providence. Only those that can not think will have time for prejudice.

Religion is man-made! I repeat my statement, religion is man-made! Jesus never preached religion but salvation. All the religions we are practicing today came after the death of Christ, just about 2000 years ago. The world is about 4.5billion years old! Doctrines are everywhere and everyone thinks his or hers is superior but one of the most important thing is to have a personal relationship with God! Irrespective of your faith.

My last word for you is to be serene, be of good character and sound attitude, your attitude in life is the most important thing! when we were in Nursery they used to say A is for Apple but now my Guy, A is for attitude. Always always be of good attitude, those that knows me closely most especially in Lagos knows that I always advocate for good attitude because it can not be overemphasized!

As I am typing this, everybody is in Church, I am at home today (Or any other day, I just don't feel like) and that doesn't mean I am better or people that are in Church are better than me, but I strive for perfection even though nobody is perfect.

Believe in God and have a personal relationship with him.PERIOD!

3 Likes

Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by Joagbaje(m): 1:31pm On Dec 15, 2013
GideonG:

As I am typing this, everybody is in Church, I am at home today (Or any other day, I just don't feel like) and that doesn't mean I am better or people that are in Church are better than me, but I strive for perfection even though nobody is perfect.

Believe in God and have a personal relationship with him.PERIOD!

Hebrews 10:25
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another:and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

1 Like

Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by Oyinprince(m): 1:44pm On Dec 15, 2013
Joagbaje: Heb 10:25
NOT FORSAKING the assembling of ourselves together,as the manner of some is;but exhorting one another:and so much the more,as ye see the day approaching.
op,u didnt c dis wen studied ur bible or u jst ignord?
Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by PastorOluT(m): 1:47pm On Dec 15, 2013
Joagbaje:

Hebrews 10:25
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another:and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

This is not talking about going to church, u dont have to go to church to fulfill this scriptures sir!

3 Likes

Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by Oyinprince(m): 2:34pm On Dec 15, 2013
Pastor Olu T: u dont have to go to church to fulfill this scriptures sir!
Bt d church is where u find d brethren,also d church is where u find d fivefold ministry God has given for equippin of d saints
Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by Nobody: 4:35pm On Dec 15, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

This is not talking about going to church, u dont have to go to church to fulfill this scriptures sir!

exactly.

This is what Jesus understood by fellowship :

"For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them." - Matthew 18:20

In other words we do not need to go to 'church' to find Jesus, he is with us all the time.

1 Like

Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by Oyinprince(m): 7:08am On Dec 16, 2013
Wait, wat do u people refer to as the church? the building or the people?
Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by PastorOluT(m): 10:58am On Dec 16, 2013
Oyinprince: Wait, wat do u people refer to as the church? the building or the people?

Both, it can be wherever the saints are gathered (not only in the church) or the building depending on the context!
Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by PastorOluT(m): 11:02am On Dec 16, 2013
Oyinprince: Bt d church is where u find d brethren,also d church is where u find d fivefold ministry God has given for equippin of d saints

Yes sir, but not only in the church (building), some people are called into the field ministry u know?

Its just so unfortunate that the 5 fold ministry (though more than that) is now limited to the four walls of the church.
Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by Redlyn: 12:04pm On Dec 16, 2013
Not only is religion man-made but so is the idea of god.
The thing that invented the world...is this the best world it could invent? One with so much suffering for so many?
OP you say leave the church and find god. Which god? If not because of a religious text (in islam, Christianity etc) and what society (parents, school etc) is saying how do you know what this god wants and expects from you? Or are you following what you dreamed?
Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by Joagbaje(m): 2:09pm On Dec 16, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

You are wrong sir.

Hebrews 10:25 living bible
Let us not neglect our church meetings, as some people do, but encourage and warn each other, especially now that the day of his coming back again is drawing near.

You can't play church in your bedroom . God has set a leadership structure in the church . We are to submit to it.

3 Likes

Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by Nobody: 2:23pm On Dec 16, 2013
Redlyn: Not only is religion man-made but so is the idea of god.
The thing that invented the world...is this the best world it could invent? One with so much suffering for so many?
OP you say leave the church and find god. Which god? If not because of a religious text (in islam, Christianity etc) and what society (parents, school etc) is saying how do you know what this god wants and expects from you? Or are you following what you dreamed?

It depends on what you term religion.But from biblical perspective James talked about a pure and undefiled religion which is to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world( James 1:27) Ofcos the Church does these things and even more.We can cite examples in Acts 6,1 tim 5.The church is alo a place where instruction are meted out on godly christians living using scriptures.In church you behave yourself properly because every one watches for one another and becomes a brother's keeper so you don't fall prey to the enemy.

People advocating you shouldn't go to church encourage lawlessness since they feel they have no one to answer to when they mess up their spiritual lives.

In church i can confess my sin to my brother and be encouraged in the faith.In church i can tell people my challenges and be encouraged from scriptures. The advantages of fellowship with believers far outweighs the disadvantages abeg.

Even Paul had to be in the synagogues as was HIS CUSTOM proving to Jews and gentiles from Torah that Jesus is the messiah.

Jesus was ALWAYS at the temple preaching,teaching and healing folks who needed it.

If Jesus was always there withe the disciples,If paul was always at the synagogues and in Halls with his disciples teaching the word of God which gives eternal life...Who are you copying by staying at home?

It is easy for the devil to catch you alone than with believers. A 3fold cord is not easily broken.Shalom.
Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by PastorOluT(m): 3:57pm On Dec 16, 2013
Joagbaje:

You are wrong sir.

Hebrews 10:25 living bible
Let us not neglect our church meetings, as some people do, but encourage and warn each other, especially now that the day of his coming back again is drawing near.

You can't play church in your bedroom . God has set a leadership structure in the church . We are to submit to it.

But I believe u know quite well sir the definition of a church in the context, surely not the synagogue bt the gathering of saints. I agree with u no man can play church in his bedroom (I believe u meant alone, for his bedroom could form a church smile), for no true Christians would forsake the gathering of the saints willingly ('cos there can be instance).
Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by Quatermaine: 10:38pm On Dec 16, 2013
Yep, I agree with you. but you should know that as one grows, certain questions like 'why am I going to church?' tend to come in, it's your respönsibility to provide an answer for the question.

When that question came to me, I felt it was just to fufil all righteousness, to show the world that I am a christain, prolly to show that I have good clothes (when I was a child). I even asked myself 'what does it mean to be born again?' but I was blank. The thought to shun my belief did not come because for me It was impossible to do that, I have been seeing unexplainable wonders in my life.

So I started all over, understood the doctrine of salvation and then became born again, precisely 31-03-2013 after which I experienced growth in the faith and tremendous changes. Suddenly, the Perfect answer came.. Why do I go to church?,... "To get motivations for the race"
Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by yommyuk: 11:24pm On Dec 16, 2013
Honestly, it is good practice and discipline to go to church. Saying that, one has to watch out for the kind of church one attends and be spirit led shocked

I fully understand those that choose to stay away due to the hypocrisy that is prevalent in the fold nowadays.It is no joke. When u see so called men of god living it up on the back of poor. It makes one wonder how long oh Lord undecided
Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by Joagbaje(m): 12:56am On Dec 17, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

But I believe u know quite well sir the definition of a church in the context, surely not the synagogue bt the gathering of saints. I agree with u no man can play church in his bedroom (I believe u meant alone, for his bedroom could form a church smile), for no true Christians would forsake the gathering of the saints willingly ('cos there can be instance).

I agree. The gathering is the church. But when you said one doesn't have to go to church , suggest something else .
Family can pray together but it doesn't make the church. There is spiritual leadership and offices in the church. Which family gathering cannot fulfil.

3 Likes

Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by Nobody: 6:06am On Dec 17, 2013
Joagbaje:

I agree. The gathering is the church. But when you said one doesn't have to go to church , suggest something else .
Family can pray together but it doesn't make the church. There is spiritual leadership and offices in the church. Which family gathering cannot fulfil.
Is fellowship different from church or are they one and the same? More light on this please.
Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by Goshen360(m): 6:22am On Dec 17, 2013
A Church (The Called out) going to Church (The Called out)? shocked
Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by Nobody: 6:31am On Dec 17, 2013
Goshen360: A Church (The Called out) going to Church (The Called out)? shocked
If that is the way it is, why should the early church have pluralistic eldership? Why should Paul talk about the five fold ministry?What purpose do they serve?..Are you equating the internet to a church?
Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by okeyxyz(m): 8:02am On Dec 17, 2013
Oyinprince: op,u didnt c dis wen studied ur bible or u jst ignord?

grin grin grin grin
Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by PastorOluT(m): 8:19am On Dec 17, 2013
Joagbaje:

I never said anything about not going to church bt u quote me wrongly, in a fact why should a Christian not want to go church, thats where maturity comes in. What I am simply saying is there could be instances whereby one cant go to church and that does not mean he is forsaking the assembly of the saints in that scripture u quoted first.
Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by Alwaystrue(f): 9:35am On Dec 17, 2013
@OP, nice post. Many things we do in life is because we were born into it as well. Many were born into deeply occultic societies but left, many have the deepset belief that marriage has to be at a certain age and going to school is compulsory, so at the end of the day, you still get a whole lot of deepseated belief systems.

Any Christian who studies the bible knows the importance of fellowship and church. So its not about feeling like going to church or not, many do not feel like going to school, office or meetings but they do. There are so many things we gain in fellowship, being in one accord in the presence of God and God speaking to the church as a whole. Our presence in church is about giving and taking. The day someone told me how my presence in church encouragement to others, made me realise it is not about me but about what I can give to others in terms of spiritual discuss, presence, sharing testimonies, uplifting advice and so much more.
Re: My Personal Views On Going To Church by kambo(m): 12:10pm On Dec 17, 2013
Who cares about ur personal views about church? Y shud they care?
Besides as u admitted u ar makg ur first post so ur ar a strk stranger with an opinion. Not a knwn voice. Y shud any1 care?

(1) (Reply)

I Had An Encounter With God Overnight. / Why T.B. Joshua’s Church Collapse Actually Convinced Me He Is A Genuine Man Of G / Am Not A Christian - But I Believe In God And Jesus!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.