Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,356 members, 7,780,960 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:23 AM

The J.O.Y. Concept - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The J.O.Y. Concept (568 Views)

Who Is This Allah (chapter 1) By G.J.O MOSHAY / The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. / Understanding The Concept of Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The J.O.Y. Concept by anukulapo: 5:33pm On Dec 15, 2013
For some time now,I've heard people teach that for a blessed order of life,our commitment should be in this order: Jesus, Others, and Yourself (JOY)...saying this brings joy.

Though the concept seem beautiful and reasonable but I have learnt that not everything that sounds "spiritual" is necessarily scriptural or true.

The concept need not be wrong NOR right but I just want us to share opinions and point to teachings from the scripture that support or teach otherwise (maybe applicable in different situations and not as an absolute rule)

I know that we are admonished to love our neighbours as ourselves (not more than ourselves). LOL

...But,what saith thou?
Re: The J.O.Y. Concept by Nobody: 11:46pm On Dec 15, 2013
It is actually scriptural to love others more than yourself,Jesus Christ as the pattern son buttressed that when he said

John 13:34 - A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

What Jesus is saying here that we should love the brethren as he loved us.Jesus has set a higher standard for us here.The scripture below is the standard Jesus set.

John 15:13 - Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Therefore, we must love by laying down our lives for others. We must not fall into the Christian confusion that Jesus laid down his life to take away our sins. He laid down his life for us, in order to show us we must lay down our lives for others. The example Jesus says he set for us preceded Calvary; so this is not about Jesus dying for our sins on the cross. We lay down our lives for others by serving them.
Re: The J.O.Y. Concept by anukulapo: 10:34pm On Dec 16, 2013
^^ hum,good one...but in one of his parables,the virgins didn't share nor lay down their life for the other(s). Abi?
Re: The J.O.Y. Concept by Nobody: 7:20am On Dec 17, 2013
anukulapo: ^^ hum,good one...but in one of his parables,the virgins didn't share nor lay down their life for the other(s). Abi?

I think the parable of the virgin is somewhat different.From my point of view i believe Jesus is talking about salvation.Our spirit is saved good but
the salvation of our souls is a gradual process, i believe there is a scripture that talks about the saving of our souls....

The question is can a christian be disconnected and not know it?
Re: The J.O.Y. Concept by anukulapo: 11:55am On Dec 17, 2013
Bidam:

From my point of view i believe Jesus is talking about salvation.

You are correct. He is talking about salvation.
Re: The J.O.Y. Concept by anukulapo: 11:59am On Dec 17, 2013
Bidam:
The question is can a christian be disconnected and not know it?
I don't get? Is this question related to the parable of the virgins or the JOY concept?
Re: The J.O.Y. Concept by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 17, 2013
anukulapo:
I don't get? Is this question related to the parable of the virgins or the JOY concept?
It's related to the parable of the virgins...The 10 virgins had oil, which is a symbol of the Holy spirit.Can someone lose the Holy spirit?
Re: The J.O.Y. Concept by anukulapo: 1:28pm On Dec 17, 2013
Bidam: It's related to the parable of the virgins...The 10 virgins had oil, which is a symbol of the Holy spirit.Can someone lose the Holy spirit?
As the parable rightly points out,YES. There are other indications in the scripture also.

"And she said, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he awoke out of his sleep, and said, I will go out as at other times before, and shake myself. And he wist not that the LORD was departed from him." (Judges 16:20).
"Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me." (Psalm 51:11).
"Quench not the Spirit." (1 Thessalonians 5:19).

1 Like

Re: The J.O.Y. Concept by Nobody: 2:02pm On Dec 17, 2013
anukulapo:
As the parable rightly points out,YES. There are other indications in the scripture also.

"And she said, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he awoke out of his sleep, and said, I will go out as at other times before, and shake myself. And he wist not that the LORD was departed from him." (Judges 16:20).
"Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me." (Psalm 51:11).
"Quench not the Spirit." (1 Thessalonians 5:19).

You are right,but the ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED faction will disagree with you here.

They will quote scriptures like we being eternally sealed with the Holy Spirit.
Re: The J.O.Y. Concept by anukulapo: 3:43pm On Dec 17, 2013
Bidam: You are right,but the ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED faction will disagree with you here.

They will quote scriptures like we being eternally sealed with the Holy Spirit.
Well,they have a right to their opinion.
Back to JOY concept. How do you read this?
"For I mean not that other men be eased, and ye burdened: But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality:" (2 Corinthians 8:13-14).
Re: The J.O.Y. Concept by Nobody: 1:43pm On Dec 18, 2013
anukulapo:
Well,they have a right to their opinion.
Back to JOY concept. How do you read this?
"For I mean not that other men be eased, and ye burdened: But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality:" (2 Corinthians 8:13-14).
sorry about the late response.I thought i had replied this post.

The truth is the corinthians were a carnal bunch,Paul called them his children who he travailed for until Christ be formed in them.

They had passion to give when the zeal for the things of God was there from the beginning.They were selfless but later began to wax cold in their commitments to God and the things of God. The context of the verse you quoted was concerning Giving.Paul rightly said you cannot give what you don't have...in another verse he rebuked them because he robbed other churches by receiving support from them to serve the corinthian folks.

Paul was encouraging them to grow in maturity so they can be able to progessively come to the realisation that selfless sacrifice is the ultimate desire every believers should attain to.

Spirituality is in stages and for now paul tells them to bear one anothers burden so as to fulfill the law of Christ which is Love.
Re: The J.O.Y. Concept by anukulapo: 7:34pm On Dec 18, 2013
Bidam: sorry about the late response.I thought i had replied this post.
It's ok then. Good to hear from you.

Bidam: The truth is the corinthians were a carnal bunch,Paul called them his children who he travailed for until Christ be formed in them.

They had passion to give when the zeal for the things of God was there from the beginning.They were selfless but later began to wax cold in their commitments to God and the things of God. The context of the verse you quoted was concerning Giving.Paul rightly said you cannot give what you don't have...in another verse he rebuked them because he robbed other churches by receiving support from them to serve the corinthian folks.

Paul was encouraging them to grow in maturity so they can be able to progessively come to the realisation that selfless sacrifice is the ultimate desire every believers should attain to.

Spirituality is in stages and for now paul tells them to bear one anothers burden so as to fulfill the law of Christ which is Love.

Ok...But regardless of the circumstance surrounding his admonition,I see Paul pointing to 2 operational words of concern in the scripture I quoted;ye 3 that we should take not of (make me sef borrow kjv english cheesy)...take note of capitalized words/phrases below.
"For I mean not that OTHER MEN be eased, and YE burdened: But by an EQUALITY that now at this time your abundance may be a
supply for their want, that their abundance
also may be a supply for your want: that
there may be EQUALITY:"
Re: The J.O.Y. Concept by Nobody: 10:39pm On Dec 18, 2013
anukulapo:
It's ok then. Good to hear from you.

Ok...But regardless of the circumstance surrounding his admonition,I see Paul pointing to 2 operational words of concern in the scripture I quoted;ye 3 that we should take not of (make me sef borrow kjv english cheesy)...take note of capitalized words/phrases below.
"For I mean not that OTHER MEN be eased, and YE burdened: But by an EQUALITY that now at this time your abundance may be a
supply for their want, that their abundance
also may be a supply for your want: that
there may be EQUALITY:"
And that is why i love reading the bible in CONTEXT to get a whole picture of what Paul is trying to pass across. I don't just pick a verse of scripture and run with it. Here what MSG is saying:

2 Corinthians 8:13-20

The Message (MSG)

10-20 So here’s what I think: The best thing you can do right now is to finish what you started last year and not let those good intentions grow stale. Your heart’s been in the right place all along. You’ve got what it takes to finish it up, so go to it. Once the commitment is clear, you do what you can, not what you can’t. The heart regulates the hands. This isn’t so others can take it easy while you sweat it out. No, you’re shoulder to shoulder with them all the way, your surplus matching their deficit, their surplus matching your deficit. In the end you come out even. As it is written,

Nothing left over to the one with the most,
Nothing lacking to the one with the least.

I thank God for giving Titus the same devoted concern for you that I have. He was most considerate of how we felt, but his eagerness to go to you and help out with this relief offering is his own idea. We’re sending a companion along with him, someone very popular in the churches for his preaching of the Message. But there’s far more to him than popularity. He’s rock-solid trustworthy. The churches handpicked him to go with us as we travel about doing this work of sharing God’s gifts to honor God as well as we can, taking every precaution against scandal.
Re: The J.O.Y. Concept by anukulapo: 11:47am On Dec 19, 2013
@Bidam
Ok. Maybe I don't really understand your viewpoint from your post or maybe it's you that didn't get my question from the opening post and subsequent ones.

However,something is not aligning.

My concern is about teachings that may be nice but not necessarily an absolute truth. The consequence of that is that it may become a burden on people.
In a bid to present God as whatever we wish to portray him,we may begin to make more "doctrines of men" -- forbidding to marry, commanding to abstain from meat, anger is a sin....things that the scripture did not affirm.

So,that is why I called for insights that we examine the J.O.Y. concept. Given that "joy" is a desired virtue and if according to the scriptures (let me quote the message translation) there is equality, then JOY (Jesus,others and yourself) and JYO (Jesus,Yourself and others) should be the same and should be taught so.
"No, you’re SHOULDER TO SHOULDER with them all the way, your surplus matching their deficit, their surplus matching your deficit. In the end you come out EVEN"

Do you understand it this way?

(1) (Reply)

Spending New Year Eve In Church: Myth Or Choice? / A must read if you are a member of this section. / Spiritual Digest For The Day 17th Of July 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.