Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,455 members, 7,770,128 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:04 AM

Your Favorite Java IDE? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Your Favorite Java IDE? (4234 Views)

Can Anyone Tell Me How To Get Php Ide Suitable For Practice Purposes / What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]? / Is Anything Better Than The Netbeans Ide? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Favorite Java IDE? by ektbear: 1:48am On Dec 16, 2013
I'm a pretty big fan of IntelliJ. What do you use?
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by Javanian: 8:07am On Dec 16, 2013
Also Like IntelliJ, but Netbeans it is...
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by Nobody: 8:11am On Dec 16, 2013
Netbeans is my default. It's just a very well designed, un-overwhelming IDE that makes everything very straightforward.
If for some reason Netbeans doesn't work well with what i'm doing, I manage eclipse.

I must say though that I am not fond of netbean's SVN capabilities.
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by ektbear: 8:13am On Dec 16, 2013
I haven't tried out Netbeans. I've used Eclipse before in the past and think it is pretty unenjoyable.
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by kambo(m): 9:39am On Dec 16, 2013
Notepad++ and the command line does it for me.
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by dpuzo: 11:33am On Dec 16, 2013
Eclipse
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by dsypha(m): 10:00pm On Dec 16, 2013
eclipse.
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by worldbest(m): 6:22am On Dec 17, 2013
IntelliJ with the Darcula theme
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by javadoctor(m): 7:28am On Dec 17, 2013
@kambo, u must be living under a rock.
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by kambo(m): 1:43pm On Dec 17, 2013
javadoctor:
@kambo, u must be living under a rock.

wat dyu know yes-man. Your confidence is in ur conformity.
Ide's are restrctve and bloated to me. I dont call my source code folder src for one , while my work is in progress, i keep a prject diary, logic notes, and other notes while working. I keep a test folder and make test summaries. Tweakg an ide to suite my wrk flow wud b too much wrk so bye bye bloatware.
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by worldbest(m): 2:33pm On Dec 17, 2013
kambo:

wat dyu know yes-man. Your confidence is in ur conformity.
Ide's are restrctve and bloated to me. I dont call my source code folder src for one , while my work is in progress, i keep a prject diary, logic notes, and other notes while working. I keep a test folder and make test summaries. Tweakg an ide to suite my wrk flow wud b too much wrk so bye bye bloatware.

I'm sure your project diary, logic notes etc involve the creation of a number of files (except there is something I don't know) which you can do in a regular IDE. Some IDEs have test libraries/plugins already integrated and I know most Jetbrain IDE allow you specify alternative folders as source directories. So..? Anyways, Its not wrong to not use an IDE, so ride on...abi your RAM low? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by k0d3ch1k(f): 6:55pm On Dec 17, 2013
kambo: Notepad++ and the command line does it for me.
wow i lik dis but i cant help using an ide
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by k0d3ch1k(f): 6:56pm On Dec 17, 2013
Netbeans all d way
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by kambo(m): 9:15pm On Dec 17, 2013
worldbest:

I'm sure your project diary, logic notes etc involve the creation of a number of files (except there is something I don't know) which you can do in a regular IDE. Some IDEs have test libraries/plugins already integrated and I know most Jetbrain IDE allow you specify alternative folders as source directories. So..? Anyways, Its not wrong to not use an IDE, so ride on...abi your RAM low? cheesy

i blv many folks lov their ide's great but ide's are actually implemented opinions on how to create software not facts. And opinions ar just tht opinions. Exaltg an opinion to the status of a fact is dogmatism like the idea tht if u program u must use an ide.
In a wrk place i cud be frced to used one to keep my job . Otherwise i craft my own opinions .
I once had a programming job to do for sombody , he'd contracted anoda programmer,an aptech fellow, and the first thng on d fellows mind was how to download netbeans to get to work. This was pre internet data bundle days. It wud take hours to get his kit ready.
I also dnt use the ant build tool -it sucks terribly.
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by kambo(m): 9:15pm On Dec 17, 2013
worldbest:

i blv many folks lov their ide's great but ide's are actually implemented opinions on how to create software not facts. And opinions ar just tht opinions. Exaltg an opinion to the status of a fact is dogmatism like the idea tht if u program u must use an ide.
In a wrk place i cud be frced to used one to keep my job . Otherwise i craft my own opinions .
I once had a programming job to do for sombody , he'd contracted anoda programmer,an aptech fellow, and the first thng on d fellows mind was how to download netbeans to get to work. This was pre internet data bundle days. It wud take hours to get his kit ready.
I also dnt use the ant build tool -it sucks terribly.
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by xager(m): 2:29pm On Dec 18, 2013
Netbeans come rain come shine cheesy
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by talk2hb1(m): 4:44pm On Dec 18, 2013
NetBeans
Wondering why no NetRice undecided
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Dec 19, 2013
Eclipse all day everyday
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by Jeffahead: 11:52pm On Dec 19, 2013
Eclipse is the sheez-nit!!

@kambo, I would love to see how you debug code using Notepad++. I would pay good money to learn how to do that grin
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by kambo(m): 1:12am On Dec 20, 2013
Jeffahead: Eclipse is the sheez-nit!!

@kambo, I would love to see how you debug code using Notepad++. I would pay good money to learn how to do that grin
you only need to ask yourself how you ,as a programmer, can trouble shoot your program Without an ide.
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by lordZOUGA(m): 8:16am On Dec 20, 2013
I have used only Eclipse and Netbeans. I prefer Eclipse.
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by Jeffahead: 10:18pm On Dec 20, 2013
kambo:
you only need to ask yourself how you ,as a programmer, can trouble shoot your program Without an ide.

If you haven't used a debugger then you are not writing any real industrial strength code. It's that simple. Perhaps for small apps that do basic things you may get away with it. But can you imagine writing a multi-threaded application that deals with millions of live financial transactions a day in Notepad++ ?? Without a debugger shocked shocked shocked

Please don't try it and give Nigerian software developers a bad name o.

The best workman uses the best tools. It's that simple.

1 Like

Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by kambo(m): 10:49pm On Dec 20, 2013
Jeffahead:

If you haven't used a debugger then you are not writing any real industrial strength code. It's that simple. Perhaps for small apps that do basic things you may get away with it. But can you imagine writing a multi-threaded application that deals with millions of live financial transactions a day in Notepad++ ?? Without a debugger shocked shocked shocked

Please don't try it and give Nigerian software developers a bad name o.

The best workman uses the best tools. It's that simple.

yes i can. And programmers were doing so bf d days of ide's.
First, wat is a debugger?
And how does the size of code affect a coders trouble shootg skills?
Notepad++ is just a programmer's editor. It doesnt do debugging.
You might as well say if you arent usg an ide you arent writg any real wrld code.
This is junk talk .
Wat constitutes industrial strenght code?
Mind you some famous apps were written in asm - no debugger. No ide.
Wat is a small app? Dyu think with your ide or algorithmically?
The best tools in d market wont save poor algorithms.
It seems you are a newbie in programmg. Go and grow up a bit bf gettg dogmatic and fanatical.
Ides are labour savg devices- nothg more nothg less.
Ides are prescriptve , most framewrks are thts y theyre so many out there cuz some1 who doesnt like doing things the prescribed way creates his own tool . Swearg by an opinion is narrow mindedness cuz tomorrow some1 will com out with a "better" way.

If you can't do somthg say so but dont assume every1 is as limited as you are.

1 Like

Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by javadoctor(m): 10:32am On Dec 21, 2013
@kambo , I opened this thread page @wrk nd showed some of my developer colleagues@zenth,they simply shook their heads.all I can say after I smh is dat U still live under a rock, please come in civilization, 2014 is almost approaching.

1 Like

Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by kambo(m): 11:43am On Dec 21, 2013
javadoctor:

@kambo , I opened this thread page @wrk nd showed some of my developer colleagues@zenth,they simply shook their heads.all I can say after I smh is dat U still live under a rock, please come in civilization, 2014 is almost approaching.

this is funny."livg under a rock for not using an ide"?
Civilization = using an ide!

You and ur clique at ur wrkplace ar conformist and ur confdence comes frm not upsettg d status quo.
I opened google and made an ide related query and found proponents for and against IDE usage.
People who have 20 year+ experience in software dev and still use an editor . Wat wud your colleagues say to them (ppl who'v been programming b4 some ur colleagues were born! Hav seen it all. Hav done it all).
I shake my head at the ignorance and bigotry i see here.
I shake my head fr u and ur ignorant colleagues. Wake , There's more thn one way to do it.

Besides:
to be objectve use a wider more diverse statistical sample.
And zenith(the bank?) is a developmnt shop?

You and the fellow who made the statemnt abt debuggg reason emotionally as developrs ths shudnt be.

1 Like

Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by Jeffahead: 9:16pm On Dec 21, 2013
kambo:

yes i can. And programmers were doing so bf d days of ide's.
First, wat is a debugger?
And how does the size of code affect a coders trouble shootg skills?
Notepad++ is just a programmer's editor. It doesnt do debugging.
You might as well say if you arent usg an ide you arent writg any real wrld code.
This is junk talk .
Wat constitutes industrial strenght code?
Mind you some famous apps were written in asm - no debugger. No ide.
Wat is a small app? Dyu think with your ide or algorithmically?
The best tools in d market wont save poor algorithms.
It seems you are a newbie in programmg. Go and grow up a bit bf gettg dogmatic and fanatical.
Ides are labour savg devices- nothg more nothg less.
Ides are prescriptve , most framewrks are thts y theyre so many out there cuz some1 who doesnt like doing things the prescribed way creates his own tool . Swearg by an opinion is narrow mindedness cuz tomorrow some1 will com out with a "better" way.

If you can't do somthg say so but dont assume every1 is as limited as you are.

Kambo! I think you need to kool down a little bit there. Although it is good to see that you are passionate about development, you are obviously taking this quite personally - but this is a technical discussion.

The fact is, we have all written programs in code editors like Emacs, VI, TextPad etc (trust me, I've been doing this for a long time) And if you were stubborn determined enough, you could write a fairly substantial amount of code in these. But, and it is a BIG but, in today's world of highly complex industrial strength software, you CANNOT develop a good quality product without a debugger. And in Java, the IDE's provide the debugging facility.

Saying you prefer not to use an IDE is like a tree-logger saying he prefers to use his axe instead of a power-saw. Sure he can still chop the trees down but it will take him much longer than his power-saw carrying colleagues and the quality of his chopped wood will really suffer.

As developers in 2013/14 we are no longer competing with foreign developers on algorithms or application functionality. We can build just as good as they can. What we are competing on now is quality and speed of completion. And with 95% of investment in software going to companies outside Nigeria, we are losing BIG TIME.
Developers need to stop trying to re-invent the wheel and use the best tools available to develop applications quickly and of better quality than foreign developers. Trying to shun tools that exist solely to make you write code quicker and better is in my view a serious step backwards.

1 Like

Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by Javanian: 10:22pm On Dec 21, 2013
Jeffahead:

you CANNOT develop a good quality product without a debugger.

Can i know what a debugger can do that an out.println can't?
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by elvis10ten(m): 10:43pm On Dec 21, 2013
Jeffahead:

Kambo! I think you need to kool down a little bit there. Although it is good to see that you are passionate about development, you are obviously taking this quite personally - but this is a technical discussion.

The fact is, we have all written programs in code editors like Emacs, VI, TextPad etc (trust me, I've been doing this for a long time) And if you were stubborn determined enough, you could write a fairly substantial amount of code in these. But, and it is a BIG but, in today's world of highly complex industrial strength software, you CANNOT develop a good quality product without a debugger. And in Java, the IDE's provide the debugging facility.

Saying you prefer not to use an IDE is like a tree-logger saying he prefers to use his axe instead of a power-saw. Sure he can still chop the trees down but it will take him much longer than his power-saw carrying colleagues and the quality of his chopped wood will really suffer.

As developers in 2013/14 we are no longer competing with foreign developers on algorithms or application functionality. We can build just as good as they can. What we are competing on now is quality and speed of completion. And with 95% of investment in software going to companies outside Nigeria, we are losing BIG TIME.
Developers need to stop trying to re-invent the wheel and use the best tools available to develop applications quickly and of better quality than foreign developers. Trying to shun tools that exist solely to make you write code quicker and better is in my view a serious step backwards.
blah blah blah blah. i remember a video i got from mit ocw, where the lecturer said he doesn't use a debugger, not because he is too good but because he uses out.println or something like that. also the difference between many foreign developers and us is that they reinvent the wheel. can you tell me whats more reinvented than the wheel ?. except you don't plan on doing more with less.
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by elvis10ten(m): 10:45pm On Dec 21, 2013
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by elvis10ten(m): 11:01pm On Dec 21, 2013
Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by Jeffahead: 12:37am On Dec 22, 2013
Javanian:

Can i know what a debugger can do that an out.println can't?

Step through every line of your code without you having to write a single line of extra out.print code
Inspect every local variable in the middle of a running program even ones that are not in the method that's running
Change the value of a local variable and then continue running from that point with the new value
Run through a method then go back to the beginning of the same method and step through it again

I could go on, but out.print and a debugger are two very different things.

1 Like

Re: Your Favorite Java IDE? by lordZOUGA(m): 12:56am On Dec 22, 2013
kambo: Notepad++ and the command line does it for me.
Why do you prefer to use Notepad++ over say Netbeans or Eclipse?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Python Code For Birthday Reminder / Goodbye Java! / I Have Decided To Become A Programmer/app Developer And I Need Some Guide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.