Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,819 members, 7,802,624 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora (2103 Views)

An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas / Should Black People From The Diaspora Go Back To African Names? / First Generation Nigerians In The Diaspora And Self Esteem. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by DeepZone: 7:57pm On Jul 30, 2008
The chinese usually use the services of fellow Chinese doctors, lawyers, dentists, mechanics etc; Same goes for Latinos and Caucasians but when it comes to Nigerians, they'd rather see a Chinese lawyer than a Nigerian lawyer here. Why? If we do not look out for each other, how can we build a vast empire?

I'm not accusing every Nigerian here or what not but if it does not matter really, why don't you take your business to a brother/sister?

A little story I read last year in a Nigerian daily:

A very rich Yoruba woman that resides in Nigeria paid through her nose for medical attention in Washington DC. When she went for the initial check up and tests, a female Nigerian doctor walked in, seeing her name, she tried to be friendly by speaking Yoruba to her and the rich lady said, " I hope you are not the doctor that will take care of me because i cannot pay this much and travel a long distance from Nigeria only to get the services of a local Nigerian doctor, I want oyibo abeg". what do you know more than oyibo? Will you really blame her especially when Oyibos are yet to be demystified in her world?

Now, imagine the embarrassment before her colleagues and the nurses. How can she hold her head high in that hospital when one of her own has no faith in her? stories like this only happen here on the issue of race. We can only fortify ourselves and make life easier for us if we look out for each other.

comments please!!!!

P.S:
This is just an appeal and not a racist by nature. You are still free to visit the doctor,lawyer,mechanic,tailor etc of your choice no matter the colour or nationality but if you can, it'll be splendid to patronize each other. You watch my back, I watch yours.
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by LASIEFAIRE(m): 7:59pm On Jul 30, 2008
link please. . . make we self read wetin you read.

Comments to follow
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by DeepZone: 8:03pm On Jul 30, 2008
Like I said, i read it last year and can't remember the link. I'll definitely post the article if i remember it.
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by AloyEmeka9: 6:46am On Jul 31, 2008
A little story I read last year in a Nigerian daily:

A very rich Yoruba woman that resides in Nigeria paid through her nose for medical attention in Washington DC. When she went for the initial check up and tests, a female Nigerian doctor walked in, seeing her name, she tried to be friendly by speaking Yoruba to her and the rich lady said, " I hope you are not the doctor that will take care of me because i cannot pay this much and travel a long distance from Nigeria only to get the services of a local Nigerian doctor, I want oyibo abeg". what do you know more than oyibo? Will you really blame her especially when Oyibos are yet to be demystified in her world?

Now, imagine the embarrassment before her colleagues and the nurses. How can she hold her head high in that hospital when one of her own has no faith in her? stories like this only happen here on the issue of race. We can only fortify ourselves and make life easier for us if we look out for each other.

I don laugh die for this story, everybody dey die of laughter for this office now. Do you blame her? Ulalaaaaaaaaaaaaah grin grin grin western hospitals are expensive and she'll be thinking that if she wanted a Nigerian doctor to help her, the price should be in naira. Laugh my ass off. grin grin grin grin grin

On a more serious note for you guys that stay abroad, patronize each other. it's very healthy for economic growth.
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by sistawoman: 3:01pm On Jul 31, 2008
Deepzone I feel your pain. I feel the same way about African Americans here in the states. If we as black people pooled our money and only spent it in our communities on our own businesses the black dollar would be a force to be reckoned with.

But too many of us think that oyibos have a better product or dont "cheat" like the black ones do. It is so said that too many of our people are still living in the matrix and have not woken up to reality that oyibos are the biggest rip offs out there.
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by lucabrasi(m): 3:13pm On Jul 31, 2008
whatsthe purpose of "a yoruba rich woman" that connotes them as being sort of illiterate and has already shown your thread in a diffrent light,i reckon you should change it to a nigerian rich woman just my 2 cents
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by DeepZone: 4:50pm On Jul 31, 2008
whatsthe purpose of "a yoruba rich woman" that connotes them as being sort of illiterate and has already shown your thread in a diffrent light,i reckon you should change it to a nigerian rich woman just my 2 cents

Does it matter; either way she's a rich woman that speaks yoruba. What's your point here?
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by DeepZone: 4:57pm On Jul 31, 2008
Deepzone I feel your pain. I feel the same way about African Americans here in the states. If we as black people pooled our money and only spent it in our communities on our own businesses the black dollar would be a force to be reckoned with.

But too many of us think that oyibos have a better product or don't "cheat" like the black ones do. It is so said that too many of our people are still living in the matrix and have not woken up to reality that oyibos are the biggest rip offs out there.

You try to hang out with African Americans and ask them their favorite spot, it'll always be Italian, Mexican or Chinese restraunts but can never be African or Soul food restraunts. Isn't that a shame? Because the last time I checked, those Italian, French,Mexican etc do not go to our restraunts except on special invitation or those that married from our people. There are many yorubas here that are tax professionals but they don't break through like their white counterparts(whom may be beneath them academically in business school) because their client base must be about 80/85% of your people but trust Naija, they'd rather go and meet an eskimo than a brother. Same goes for many ibo owned clinics here that would've done better if our people give them 100% attention. It's just pathetic.
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by davidif: 7:33am On Aug 01, 2008
I don laugh die for this story, everybody dey die of laughter for this office now. Do you blame her? Ulalaaaaaaaaaaaaah western hospitals are expensive and she'll be thinking that if she wanted a Nigerian doctor to help her, the price should be in naira. Laugh my ass off.

On a more serious note for you guys that stay abroad, patronize each other. it's very healthy for economic growth.

That sounds funny until you come to yanki, then you would realize how extremely painful that is. Some Akata's even do it to themselves.
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by lucabrasi(m): 11:12am On Aug 02, 2008
DeepZone:

Does it matter; either way she's a rich woman that speaks yoruba. What's your point here?
yes it does matter,placing an emphasis on her tribe is shifting the essence of your post from attitudinal problems of rich NIGERIANS and how they view black/nigerian doctors to attitudinal problems of YORUBA WOMEN its easy for anyone to quickly conclude its got to be something about yoruba women especially seeing as its not a newspaper article as such but an account of what you read ages ago,ignore me anyway just my own view
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by chiogo(f): 1:01am On Aug 03, 2008
Wow, that's crazy! I can imagine how embarassed the Nigerian doctor felt. As I plan on becoming a doctor myself, I would be hurt if a fellow Nigerian did that to me.

Like seriously, white people are not necessarily the smartest people ever. I mean, I go to school with a couple of whites. They're not doing better than most. When you get to live around them and interact with them, you wonder what all the fuss was all about. They're just regular people. Naija people should learn to appreciate their people!
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by Queenisha: 3:41am On Aug 04, 2008
chiogo:

Wow, that's crazy! I can imagine how embarassed the Nigerian doctor felt. As I plan on becoming a doctor myself, I would be hurt if a fellow Nigerian did that to me.

Like seriously, white people are not necessarily the smartest people ever. I mean, I go to school with a couple of whites. They're not doing better than most. When you get to live around them and interact with them, you wonder what all the fuss was all about. They're just regular people. Naija people should learn to appreciate their people!

I've had an Italian male walk out on me because he didn't want to be seen by a black woman.
You just shrug your shoulders and move on.
That's life.
Your salary remains unchanged.
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by darfur(m): 4:17am On Aug 04, 2008
nne wetin u de do with italo grin

those guys rugged o
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by NegroNtns(m): 4:42am On Aug 04, 2008
ah, Darfur, long time no see. Na you i come jam so? I see ya name na im make i enter say make i salute LadyT boyfriend. I no come hia for sake to participate for DeepZone and her palava writing. But my brother we go jam eye again nah. Take jeje dey live oo. grin
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by darfur(m): 5:07am On Aug 04, 2008
my brother na me o, life hard for UK o, man just de hussle to find food chop. plus school wahala. na im i come no too dey regular. how body na?

yea LadyT, cheesy , abeg greet am for me o, tell am say i nova loose hope yet cheesy i swear, i de see am for dream, even sleepwalking i go dream see am sef grin grin grin that babe fine no be small. walahi. . . naija babes de try o. e get another one wey fall in igbo thread . . o'boy see this babe eh? cheesy ebelebe igba cheesy fine fine things . . .from her manchester to her arsenal. even her bolton wonderer legs everything correct (only darfur no get liverpool heart to follow am up) otherwise the premiership complete. . . . na im de babe go comot her photo carry one yeye I920 shoe put there . .

anyhow, man no die man no rotten. make i catch smal sleep, i get lecture by I0am. . . .enjoy wink
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by DeepZone: 7:25am On Aug 04, 2008
yes it does matter,placing an emphasis on her tribe is shifting the essence of your post from attitudinal problems of rich NIGERIANS and how they view black/nigerian doctors to attitudinal problems of YORUBA WOMEN its easy for anyone to quickly conclude its got to be something about yoruba women especially seeing as its not a newspaper article as such but an account of what you read ages ago,ignore me anyway just my own view

What are you talking about? The concluding part of the story claimed she spoke yoruba to her, wouldn't that still make any reader decipher her ethnicity? Duh!!!!
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by DeepZone: 7:28am On Aug 04, 2008
I've had an Italian male walk out on me because he didn't want to be seen by a black woman.
That's life.

It's still better to get snubbed by a white or Asian man but when it comes to your own(not only black but African too) refusing your services because he/she feels you are not "up to", your salary may not matter anymore because your little integrity among co workers from different races will automatically wane. Charity the say, begins at home.
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by DeepZone: 7:30am On Aug 04, 2008
That sounds funny until you come to yanki, then you would realize how extremely painful that is. Some Akata's even do it to themselves.
True talk.
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by AloyEmeka9: 10:57am On Aug 04, 2008
That sounds funny until you come to yanki, then you would realize how extremely painful that is. Some Akata's even do it to themselves

Sorry my dede.
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by Sagamite(m): 2:42pm On Aug 04, 2008
I would probably laugh in her face and get her a white doctor.

It wouldn't bother me one bit as I would look at her and be grateful I was more educated than she is. Probably, phone a few friends and tell them what happened just to crack their ribs.

I would be very surprised if someone as academically gifted as a doctor would look down on you based on such an occurence. They would probably look down on uneducated Africans.

If there is any fellow doctor that looks down on me because of this, then in my opinion, that doctor is a slowpoke and in my world, opinions of morons don't count.
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by sbucareer(f): 2:57pm On Aug 04, 2008
x
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by DeepZone: 5:16pm On Aug 04, 2008
I would probably laugh in her face and get her a white doctor.

It wouldn't bother me one bit as I would look at her and be grateful I was more educated than she is. Probably, phone a few friends and tell them what happened just to crack their ribs.

I would be very surprised if someone as academically gifted as a doctor would look down on you based on such an occurence. They would probably look down on uneducated Africans.

If there is any fellow doctor that looks down on me because of this, then in my opinion, that doctor is a slowpoke and in my world, opinions of morons don't count.

I don't think they'll openely look down on you because of job related policies but trust me, your integrity is gone before them unless you are an exceptional medical expert. Even at that, your people will be regarded as dogs. Tell me, which other race apart from black that will do a thing like this to a member of similar race? Blacks are prone to that treatment from their own (except the hausas anyway, whom I doubt will prefer oyibo over their homeboy).
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by chiogo(f): 11:09pm On Aug 05, 2008
Wow! @Queenisha, that's crazy! But you're right, they don't pay you. But it still hurts a little, I'm sure.
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by DeepZone: 3:22am On Aug 06, 2008
Wow! @Queenisha, that's crazy! But you're right, they don't pay you. But it still hurts a little, I'm sure.

For sure!!!
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by debosky(m): 3:33am On Aug 06, 2008
This is just one side of the story - what makes Africans so distrusting of one another in the first place?

Is it the bad experiences they've gotten while dealing with fellow Africans? Is it because you sometimes get shabby treatment simply because 'thats how it is back home'?

Is it because of the prevalent noisy and rowdy environment in some of these businesses or their poor marketing/organisation?

Its easy to blame people for not patronizing Africans/African owned establishments, but in the end, people are not as stupid as you think - they will still try to go where they will get the best value for money, with race and colour being a secondary consideration.

I accept these things do happen, but a great responsibility lies with the business owners - be ready to give quality service and products and people will patronise you. The doctor/nurse thing is more of oyibo craze, but in wider society, we simply must raise the standards of doing business in the black/African community.
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by AloyEmeka9: 6:16am On Aug 06, 2008
This is just one side of the story - what makes Africans so distrusting of one another in the first place?

Is it the bad experiences they've gotten while dealing with fellow Africans? Is it because you sometimes get shabby treatment simply because 'thats how it is back home'?

Is it because of the prevalent noisy and rowdy environment in some of these businesses or their poor marketing/organisation?

Its easy to blame people for not patronizing Africans/African owned establishments, but in the end, people are not as stupid as you think - they will still try to go where they will get the best value for money, with race and colour being a secondary consideration.

I accept these things do happen, but a great responsibility lies with the business owners - be ready to give quality service and products and people will patronise you. The doctor/nurse thing is more of oyibo craze, but in wider society, we simply must raise the standards of doing business in the black/African community.

@bold,I remember getting that type of treatment in an african restraunt in Bangkok.

Excellent response!!!!! but the rich woman Bleep up real bad.
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by davidif: 6:20pm On Aug 07, 2008

You are sooooooooooooo right on that, i go to school with them and i wonder what the fuss is all about? Because Albert Einstein or Isaac Newton happened to have white pigmentation does not mean everybody who looks like them is very intelligent.

@queenisha
That's life.

You must be very thick skinned my sister, if that happened to me, i would be extremely depressed for a looooooong time.

BY THE WAY, DARFUR, YOU ARE CLOWN grin grin grin
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by DeepZone: 6:48pm On Aug 07, 2008
You are sooooooooooooo right on that, i go to school with them and i wonder what the fuss is all about? Because Albert Einstein or Isaac Newton happened to have white pigmentation does not mean everybody who looks like them is very intelligent.

Actually, they can be book smart but generally boring to hang around with. White folks know how to read and write a 2hr exam in 20 mins.
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by toshmann(m): 7:05pm On Aug 07, 2008
@debosky
aahhh, my man debo  cheesy long time no see. o' boy toshmann de suffer here o, i de try adapt to this society.

debosky:

in summary, there should be no complaints or bad feelings when whiteys snub blacks and no complaints when nigerians recieve a not-so-nice treatment b/c of their accent or color of their passport(and of course skin color)
:Deal?

prejudice, we are all guilty as charged   cool 

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-17201.0.html
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by debosky(m): 4:51am On Aug 08, 2008
@ d-tosh

ol boy you don relocate again? your cardiff babes go dey cry oh! cheesy

Truth be told we are all guilty, but we do need to patronise community businesses, but only if they clean up their act (or are at least willing to).

Not coming with the mentality that 'I'm the only Suya man in this 'hood, so they will eat my Suya whether I'm nice or not' - arrogance and lack of customer care kills a lot of our businesses more than racism or any other thing.
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 08, 2008

sistawoman, this is as shortsighted as the woman who demanded an "oyinbo" doctor. Without the oyinbo man would you even have anything like the dollar? What if whites chose to spend their own dollar only within their communities, would you not be the same ones yelling "racism"?
Re: An Appeal To Nigerians In The Diaspora by lazy(m): 3:53pm On Aug 08, 2008
davidylan:

sistawoman, this is as shortsighted as the woman who demanded an "oyinbo" doctor. Without the oyinbo man would you even have anything like the dollar? What if whites chose to spend their own dollar only within their communities, would you not be the same ones yelling "racism"?

For the most part, they do. They just don't broadcast it on forums.

(1) (2) (Reply)

OGUN Festival I Witnessed In Ado-ekiti, Ekiti State / The Newly Crowned Oba Of Benin Said He Is The 40th And Not The 39th / Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.