Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,714 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:53 PM

How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family (12336 Views)

A City In Nigeria With 24/7 Electricity Supply! / 10 State Capitals In Nigeria With Low Crime Rate / How Do I Travel Back To Nigeria With My Baby? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by yormite: 7:45am On Dec 19, 2013
Smh for myself if a rich person like d op is thinking of Exiting dis country then i have to ask myself dis questions wat does d future holds for me here? with my degree marred by ASUU stike can i be able to get a good job without knowing any one @ d top wen i graduate? will my unborn children pass through all dis also? Am afraid if i had a chance to leave i may never come back
Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by freetowns: 10:29am On Dec 19, 2013
Hmmmmmmm. This step u are about to take is surely a mind boggling one. I just relocated bck to Nigeria and so far am not regretting it one bit. Remember is not easy to raise kids abroad. Yes they can hv d best of education and all. But character and orientation can defo go sour with kids raised abroad.

All I can say is this: it is ur decision but make the right one for d good of ur sanity.

1 Like

Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by dabossman(m): 10:34am On Dec 19, 2013
bugativeron: @diasporan thanks for your response and encouragement. I took time to take my wife thru it yesternite. Though she has never been in support of our leaving nigeria. When we newly got married she wanted to travel to canada to be delivered of our 1st child she was denied visa cos she wasnt working but she was so cross because she had her early primary sch in canada and couldnt understand why she was denied. Since then she has been anti travel. But I definitely know 2 things. That 1, God need to be thoroughly consulted and that my wife must fully buy into this lofty idea. Funny enough she has always agreed with me on all issues but she is a bit reluctant now. But I guess because she is always scarred of changes.

Just like you my wife and I were all for raising our kids in Nigeria when we just got married. Our reasons were that we wanted them to know our culture and true African values. We didn't want them to grow up in societies where they didn't believe in God and banned talk of God from schools and work. But in recent times I have asked, "where are the so-called African values?" Do they still exist in this country where all we seem to worship is money? Where corruption is the norm. Where the average Nigerian constantly seeks to exploit the next man. Like I said in my earlier post, we live in a lawless country and I don't want that for my kids.

We are very religious, but it hardly translates to our daily life. I would rather they grow up in a country where people still respect the law and know there will be repercussions if they break the law. I will take it upon myself to teach them about God in these formative years. My wife has now bought into the idea and hopefully God will make everything work out. I wish you the best as well.

3 Likes

Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by dabossman(m): 10:42am On Dec 19, 2013
freetowns: Hmmmmmmm. This step u are about to take is surely a mind boggling one. I just relocated bck to Nigeria and so far am not regretting it one bit. Remember is not easy to raise kids abroad. Yes they can hv d best of education and all. But character and orientation can defo go sour with kids raised abroad.

All I can say is this: it is ur decision but make the right one for d good of ur sanity.

And you think the majority of our kids here are well-behaved with good character and orientation? That we bow or prostrate to greet our elders, call them sir/ma and so on does not mean we are cultured when the average Nigerian youth (16-40) doesn't know that he should slow down for pedestrians at a zebra crossing. They will respectfully insult your for correcting them when they do wrong. Many are chasing riches without any plans to work hard for it. Majority are so lawless.

Those values we cherished are long gone. Was in a BRT bus sometime last year and kids in school uniform wouldn't even stand for an old woman. I had to give up my seat for her. They just went on chatting.

3 Likes

Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by Validated: 11:22am On Dec 19, 2013
Guy without pushing, my family is in Canada and I am going to meet them in two days time. If you truly mean to relocate, send me your email address and I will link you to the firm I used for immigration. It is not a quick dash process though, you need to be truthful with all your documentations and be ready to wait for about 12 - 18 months (though process is being simplified of late).

With your current pay, I am sure you should have at least N3-N4mn to show as required funds for your family. I am sure someone has also sent you the link (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp). But please, if you have any investment here (especially property), keep them and let them be earning you income. You are at liberty to come back after all these hullabaloo and letter writing and the build ups. God save Naija!
Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by pickabeau1: 12:06pm On Dec 19, 2013
You are perfectly right

Thousands die for ordinarily avoidable events and we all move on

Yet we say we have values undecided undecided

Our elders are not paid their pensions on time or at all and we say we respect the elders

Bros.. make i no start to burst for hia

dabossman:

And you think the majority of our kids here are well-behaved with good character and orientation? That we bow or prostrate to greet our elders, call them sir/ma and so on does not mean we are cultured when the average Nigerian youth (16-40) doesn't know that he should slow down for pedestrians at a zebra crossing. They will respectfully insult your for correcting them when they do wrong. Many are chasing riches without any plans to work hard for it. Majority are so lawless.

Those values we cherished are long gone. Was in a BRT bus sometime last year and kids in school uniform wouldn't even stand for an old woman. I had to give up my seat for her. They just went on chatting.
Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by lancee(m): 12:24pm On Dec 19, 2013
freetowns: Hmmmmmmm. This step u are about to take is surely a mind boggling one. I just relocated bck to Nigeria and so far am not regretting it one bit. Remember is not easy to raise kids abroad. Yes they can hv d best of education and all. But character and orientation can defo go sour with kids raised abroad.

Am on the same page with u on raising of kids here
Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by harsysky(m): 12:31pm On Dec 19, 2013
@Op I've gone through the whole post as if I were you. I'm a guy who hardly give advice , but I must confess I really really felt ur pains. We keep hammering the rich get richer and the poor poorer, but fail to look into what's behind it. God's the ultimate in all what we do. Rich people take risk and back it up with God that's the difference , but poor people jst wait on God without anyfin doing.
@Op dnt mind the long writings, believe me I pray God grants U ur heart desires..A friend asked me a question concerning what he wanted to do. All I told him was there is this power that comes wen one makes up his or her mind without any negative thoughts. I strongly believe that same power from God ll follow U as u have strongly made up urs..As for people who said U can't succeed ,dnt blame them. They want the best for U too and it is these people who sets the ground for strong decision by U..U must make that decision that U ll one day smile n say thank God I did wat I had to Do..God bless U and ur family once more

1 Like

Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by freetowns: 2:12pm On Dec 19, 2013
dabossman:

I know some of our kids in Nigeria here lack respect and training but u cant compare with raising kids in d west, Absolutely NO WAY!! That the kids do not respect elders or zebra crossing is just the tip of bad orientation. Being someone who lived in the West with family before returning home, kids raised abroad is anoda ball game. They truly respect those in authority like Teachers, police, wardens but have no amount of respect for their own parents!! Just tell my last son u wuld inform his teacher abt his bad bhavior at homeand see how he begs.

I rather my children grow up where they can have a solid identity than somplace whr sum1 will never cease to remind them that they are not true citizens but borrowed regardless of their birthplace and having tax paying parents.

I believe I have everytin to make my kids life here better and also instil family values in them. I want kids who will always remembr me in my old age not like what i witnessed with the old caucasians in Europe. Life of loneliness in a care home!!

1 Like

Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by pickabeau1: 3:14pm On Dec 19, 2013
Very good points

Don't worry its only a matter of time when children here will leave their old folks to be on their own

Now parents die with their kids living abroad

Who cares about in laws

The prevailing ethos is me n my spouse
Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by freetowns: 4:05pm On Dec 19, 2013
pickabeau1: Very good points

Don't worry its only a matter of time when children here will leave their old folks to be on their own

Now parents die with their kids living abroad

Who cares about in laws

The prevailing ethos is me n my spouse

Untill then.
Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by pickabeau1: 4:30pm On Dec 19, 2013
freetowns:
Untill then.
Lol.//
Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by dabossman(m): 5:50pm On Dec 19, 2013
freetowns:

I know some of our kids in Nigeria here lack respect and training but u cant compare with raising kids in d west, Absolutely NO WAY!! That the kids do not respect elders or zebra crossing is just the tip of bad orientation. Being someone who lived in the West with family before returning home, kids raised abroad is anoda ball game. They truly respect those in authority like Teachers, police, wardens but have no amount of respect for their own parents!! Just tell my last son u wuld inform his teacher abt his bad bhavior at homeand see how he begs.

I rather my children grow up where they can have a solid identity than somplace whr sum1 will never cease to remind them that they are not true citizens but borrowed regardless of their birthplace and having tax paying parents.

I believe I have everytin to make my kids life here better and also instil family values in them. I want kids who will always remember me in my old age not like what i witnessed with the old caucasians in Europe. Life of loneliness in a care home!!

My kid brother was born and grew up in the UK with my folks who also live there. He is not disrespectful. Reason? You can't live with my dad and not have manners or learn to respect your parents. Besides, what is the essence of respecting your parents only to tell the rest of the society to go screw themselves. That is why our society is the way it is. Kids are saints at home but a menace in the society. Your kids caring for you in your old age is dependent on the amount of time you also devote to them in their formative years. If you abandon them to go chase after money, they will do the same when they have their own families, irrespective of their geographic location.

4 Likes

Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by Nobody: 6:00pm On Dec 19, 2013
dabossman:

My kid brother was born and grew up in the UK with my folks who also live there. He is not disrespectful. Reason? You can't live with my dad and not have manners or learn to respect your parents. Besides, what is the essence of respecting your parents only to tell the rest of the society to go screw themselves. That is why our society is the way it is. Kids are saints at home but a menace in the society. Your kids caring for you in your old age is dependent on the amount of time you also devote to them in their formative years. If you abandon them to go chase after money, they will do the same when they have their own families, irrespective of their geographic location.

20 likes

2 Likes

Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by dasparrow: 6:33pm On Dec 19, 2013
dabossman:

Very well said.
Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by pickabeau1: 8:09pm On Dec 19, 2013
superbly put ....

dabossman:

Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by Ladapo(m): 8:11pm On Dec 19, 2013
i love this thread and will like to contribute to this thread. Everyone is entitled to his opinion and the Op has not done anything wrong to ask this house for their opinions. Before I left Nigeria, I was making, on a very bad month, about 100 thousand naira apart from my monthly salary and my wife was making about 150k as salary monthly. It was a difficult decision for me to move but i thought of the following and that actually prompted me to move eventually;
1. How functional is the Nigerian society? You make so much and it takes little effort for you to go back to the zero level i.e 'once you are down, you go way down!!
2. We pay for everything and I mean everything in Nigeria as much as we do abroad...gas, electricity, water, your own security etc. In Canada, health care is free for my kids at all levels, school is free, I loose a job today, I am sure I will get another in no time, my children get paid some money every month which is enough to pay house rent and feed, I am adding value by going to school; govt gave me loans and I even got about 10 thousand dollars in grant!!! I dont have to pay back!!!

I could go on and on but I am in class now....

3 Likes

Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by lond07: 5:32pm On Dec 20, 2013
bugativeron: @diasporan thanks for your response and encouragement. I took time to take my wife thru it yesternite. Though she has never been in support of our leaving nigeria. When we newly got married she wanted to travel to canada to be delivered of our 1st child she was denied visa cos she wasnt working but she was so cross because she had her early primary sch in canada and couldnt understand why she was denied. Since then she has been anti travel. But I definitely know 2 things. That 1, God need to be thoroughly consulted and that my wife must fully buy into this lofty idea. Funny enough she has always agreed with me on all issues but she is a bit reluctant now. But I guess because she is always scarred of changes.

To the OP. --
I commend you for going about it wisely.
You need your wife's support. It is a delicate venture. There are ups and downs, but with her support the going gets easier
Like you said, leave matters in God's hand. And do not make things work at all cost. If it is God's will, it will work otherwise he will compensate in other ways.
As said earlier by many people which I also believe you know yourself, if you must live in abroad, live LEGALLY

1 Like

Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by bugativeron: 1:03pm On Dec 21, 2013
@ladapo and lond07 thanks for your comments and insight.
Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by Osama10(m): 11:43pm On Oct 06, 2014
smiley
Re: How Best Do I Get Out Of Nigeria With My Family by maternal: 1:42am On Oct 07, 2014
bugativeron:
I dont know about you. But as for me I am tired of this country and it seems nothing will ever work again. I need to look for a legitimate way of getting my family out of this country. Me, my wife and my two children. I am tired of spending my income on things that are consumption in nature without being able to see what lies in the future. Like I said it can be frustrating seeing the way the country is being run. But my greatest fear is for the future of my children. Please forget any advise not to go my mind is made up. Mind you I work and I am not sure i earn badly, at least earn above 8m annually with my wife we earn over 10m. But i cant just continue with the frustration that come with this country. PLS YOUR ADVISE ON LEGITIMATE WAY TO LEAVE AND NEVER TO COME BACK AGAIN.

My brother get out while you can. A lot here either haven't gone out, weren't smart enough to make it abroad, or don't have children. I'll answer your questions as I am in canada and have never regretted a day getting out. To begin with 10 million naira is around 67k canadian. That's chump change. Most here with a dual income make 100k Canadian a year easily. You and your wife will have to decide before you leave, if you will attempt to do what you were doing in naija, or come here and get a minimal but very good paying job without much education. I'd do that rather than going back to school because a naija degree is not recognized here.

But once your children get here the sky is the limit. They can be whatever they want in life. There's peace and security here. Light/ and running water all works. And once you get that passport, you'll be visa free to get into most countries. Again that will definitely benefit your children.

To get in canada is looking for skilled workers or caregivers. I would apply for one of these programs, you and your wife. If one gets it they can go and I believe in 2 years one can become a pernament resident which then they Cann apply for their spouse and children to come over. Within a few years one can then get citizenship. Lastly there's good medical care funded by the government. Good health care won't be an issues unlike in naija. The sky is the limit make the move I'm telling you. If you work hard the country will reward you; believe me

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cheap Domestic Flight Ticket Within Nigeria / Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike / FRSC Presents Goods Of Crash Victims To Relatives (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 1
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.