Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,258 members, 7,807,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days (7220 Views)

Do You Believe In Gender Equality? If Yes/no, Why? / Do You Believe In These Superstitions? / Funny But True To Life Superstitions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by Temismith(f): 1:56pm On Dec 18, 2013
Dont sit on d morta or else u wont give birth/u will be impotent
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by donphilopus: 1:56pm On Dec 18, 2013
In Edo state, Ihevbe (Sen Isa Braimoh's town) to be precised, I was told, they don't blow whistle at night, and they don't eqtally say "Goodnight", because that's the way dead people pass to where ever they are going.

Idogun in Ondo state, and Ayanron in Edo state, are not left out! They don't blow whistle in Idogun at night, while Ayanron and Ihievbe are almost the same.
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by amiskurie(m): 2:02pm On Dec 18, 2013
DO NOT TALK WHILE PEELING OFF CHICKEN FEATHERS....IT GROWS BACK WHEN U TALK.
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by skillzbae(f): 2:03pm On Dec 18, 2013
when cooking with firewood, dnt allow salt pour into d fire,it may cause mass death. When eating, throw some outside else spirit wil eat frm d ones in ur tummy. When u ova eat, use a bunch of broom to sweep some out, by sweeping ur tummy (stil believe ds dou, cos it works for me). If a man steps on pawpaw seeds he bcomes impotent.
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by sammyjay3(m): 2:15pm On Dec 18, 2013
Don't whistle at night if u do u'll invite snake. Don't bend down in the middle of the market at night if u do u'll be knock by some demons passing by. Don't look at the mirror at night, Don't whip a person with a broom or the person won't get married, Don't point a torch lite to the sky cos u're disrespecting heaven.
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by ezeama1010(m): 2:24pm On Dec 18, 2013
BarryX: undecidedYouthful days
Aint most of us in our youthful days ?
Who be ur mate

1 Like

Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by deols(f): 2:30pm On Dec 18, 2013
They said that eating the anus of a chiken would make you an olofofo(gossip). There was a lady whom everyone said was a gossip because of what she ate.

I never ate it even though I don't believe the superstition.
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by Okijajuju1(m): 2:32pm On Dec 18, 2013
If I dont give my life to Christ, I would go to hell..

2 Likes

Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by dexpee4life(m): 2:34pm On Dec 18, 2013
When you go close to a market and your head towards your knee and you look between your legs to the back upside down, it is believed that you might be knocked by a ghost
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by dexpee4life(m): 2:36pm On Dec 18, 2013
When wilking in the night aand you see bats flying, try to guide your jaws so they dont slap you but if they do, try and hit back so you can be free
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by ddippset(m): 2:36pm On Dec 18, 2013
My mama and my older sisters used to tell me if I ate directly from the pot, I won't grow a beard. So I stopped, and today iam so bearded! Praise God.
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by dexpee4life(m): 2:38pm On Dec 18, 2013
When you write or draw things on the ground at night, try to clen it properly so that the spirits wont use it at night
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by dexpee4life(m): 2:40pm On Dec 18, 2013
Dont remove white hair on your head as a child because it indicates that one would be rich when you get old
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by ddippset(m): 2:44pm On Dec 18, 2013
Also if you are making out with a girl and you touch one breazt, you much touch the second one too or else the breazts won't produce milk in future.
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by Nobody: 2:55pm On Dec 18, 2013
michaelcipher: As a native of yorubaland, i was made to believe some superstitions which i got used to even while growing up.

1. Don't Sweep at night, demons would disturb u wen sleeping shocked
2. If you call snake at night u would be attacked by it
3. When u hit ur right foot on a stone while walking its goodluck while left foot is bad luck.

lots more

lets hear some from ur tradition or town grin
if ur eye the upper one u will see good tin..the dwn one. Is bad..if ur pam scratch u. Na money dey show
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by Dee60: 3:00pm On Dec 18, 2013
Never share your boiled egg with your friend!

That was the most convenient and easiest means to eat it all alone!
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by bigangel4u(m): 3:25pm On Dec 18, 2013
In Yorubaland, you must not travel in a vehicle with a mortal without putting some money in it.

A mother must never let her baby fall off her back or else the child (if female) will lose seven different husbands in death.
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by free2ryhme: 3:32pm On Dec 18, 2013
Trash making frontpage
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by Nobody: 4:18pm On Dec 18, 2013
That if you fornicate with someone, all that person's destiny and evil luck will become yours. cry cry cry

That is why I was a late bloomer. I swallowed hook, line and rod of that shyt grin

I stopped believing that shyt when I asked myself, "So what happens to all the people that fvck Bill Gates and Dangote?" cheesy
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by halimattt(f): 7:09pm On Dec 18, 2013
eluquenson: Don't kill a duck with the eyes wide open, or else it will turn to snake.
And when you deliver a baby, don't cover your baby with a yellow shawl, it will cause Jaundice cheesy
Some people still believe it till now.
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by wrapzee(m): 7:27pm On Dec 18, 2013
Lol
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by kayrichy: 8:58pm On Dec 18, 2013
Baldness(apari) meant wealth and riches
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by edwardusSuperbu: 11:02pm On Dec 18, 2013
Believe me, there are still a lot of those going on. Funny enough the more widely superstition is embraced, the more authenticated it is. Take for example the so-called generational curse being used as the rallying cry for Nigerian Voodoo-Christianity called the new age pentecostalism, no one ever question those tall tale stories as given in Redeemed Churches, Winners Chapel, Mountain of Fire and the likes. If you do not get sick, then there will be no need for Doctors. So, you must be sick somehow. Even as a child, some of us refused to believe in santa Claus or the Father Christmas as we used to called that fictitious character then. But very educated people taday strongly believe and are willing to give anything to believe in the myth and grand superstition called God or Allah or Chineke(Chukwu), Abasi, Olohon etc etc. Why is that so??
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by prettyem(f): 11:23pm On Dec 18, 2013
Wen d underneath of ur foot/feet(atele ese in yoruba) itches u,u'll soon go on a jorney....it stl happens to me for real as in if 'atele ese' scratch me on mondy somfin mst happen b4 friday dt wil move me outta ma present loca8n...
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by BarryX(m): 11:35pm On Dec 18, 2013
ezeama1010: Who be ur mate

Nobody really !!!
Apparently not you either ...... Youthfulness" definitions varies , mostly dependent on the context it is used

Try to understand the tone of the post before "dragging age" with me .
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by olukuewu(m): 12:46am On Dec 19, 2013
Don't eat at door post.
Re: Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days by michaelcipher(m): 2:19pm On Dec 19, 2013
@Barry dey no dey play with you. why u dey boil. wink

BarryX:

Nobody really !!!
Apparently not you either ...... Youthfulness" definitions varies , mostly dependent on the context it is used

Try to understand the tone of the post before "dragging age" with me .

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cushite People / Ifa Is The True Religion And Practice Of The Yoruba / What Is The Meaning Of Utunu?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.