Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,129 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:33 AM

Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage (40817 Views)

Photos From Deji Of Akure's Son's Wedding... / Deji Of Akure's Swag Photos At His Son's Wedding / Deji Of Akure Dies At 63 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by Okijajuju1(m): 3:54pm On Dec 17, 2013
Typical Nigga reaction..

The man is dead.

How is his being 'seated in state' any more worse than when we 'lie people in state' prior to their being buried..
If no Oyinbo man do am now, people would be seeing it as significant, blah blah.. Nigerian does it and everybody starts talking shi!t.
What about Argentina that preserved Eva Perons corpse in such a way that it didnt rot or decompose for years.. Then she was exhumed after 3 years and laid in state again.. No wahala there..
O! And for the Blessed Catholics amongst us... Isnt it hypocritical of you to frown upon our culture and tradition when you display corpses if dead preists and nuns on the alters of some of your churches around the world and even pray to them as well?!

Please if you dont like the tradition of the people, fine.. But dont look at them like they are from a different planet. What they have done is no different from what applies generally..

For Some = Lying in state
For a Deji = Seating in State

4 Likes

Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by Nobody: 3:56pm On Dec 17, 2013
I have never heard of this before. My grandfather was one and we, the grandchildren and his kids stood by his graveside while the Undertakers covered his Casket with earth. Biko, I completely disagree with U on this. @Op, this is scary! What if he slips while been viewed or something.........?
Abagworo: This culture exists in Igboland for a titled Nze n'Ozo man. Never knew any other people have it. I guess the difference is that in Igboland an Nze is buried seated upright with an elephant tusk on one hand.
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by SmashingM(f): 3:56pm On Dec 17, 2013
jeamie: wat a culture..mitcheew

Mtcheeew at you for quoting all of that only to post the above.
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by ooshinibos: 3:58pm On Dec 17, 2013
thats why this Nigeria is unproductive ...too much fetishness
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by Okijajuju1(m): 3:59pm On Dec 17, 2013
ooshinibos: thats why this Nigeria is unproductive ...too much fetishness

WHo is this one?!
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by Harkynkunle(m): 3:59pm On Dec 17, 2013
osinachukwu: shocked,blood of elijah!!
Wetyn Concern Elijah 4 dis matter? mtcheeeeew
nyweiz signz of end time

1 Like

Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by Lilimax(f): 4:00pm On Dec 17, 2013
Omenana ndi dikwara ndi-(Culture and Tradition...
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by ooshinibos: 4:03pm On Dec 17, 2013
Okija_juju: Typical Nigga reaction..

The man is dead.

How is his being 'seated in state' any more worse than when we 'lie people in state' prior to their being buried..
If no Oyinbo man do am now, people would be seeing it as significant, blah blah.. Nigerian does it and everybody starts talking shi!t.
What about Argentina that preserved Eva Perons corpse in such a way that it didnt rot or decompose for years.. Then she was exhumed after 3 years and laid in state again.. No wahala there..
O! And for the Blessed Catholics amongst us... Isnt it hypocritical of you to frown upon our culture and tradition when you display corpses if dead preists and nuns on the alters of some of your churches around the world and even pray to them as well?!

Please if you dont like the tradition of the people, fine.. But dont look at them like they are from a different planet. What they have done is no different from what applies generally.. For Some = Lying in state
For a Deji = Seating in State

good point o ....we have been brain washed by the oyibo ...they have their own bad stuff o Racism and hatred thats why 50 percent of oyibo are depressed even in the mist of plenty , i once lived in sweden ( one of the best country and economies in the world ) where the suicide is high this defies logic , oyibo are good at covering their madness but we are good at showing ours
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by Afroconnect: 4:08pm On Dec 17, 2013
imsalus: ARADARADA ...... IS THIS ISLAM OR CHRISTANITY? PLS ABOLISH SUCH THINGS.
your question is so childish and irrelevant.
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by deeptesting(m): 4:10pm On Dec 17, 2013
Most Dudes here are below 30 and I am pretty sure few have visited their home town once or twice while others were simply told where they come from by their parents...I am an Ikwerre man; a thorough breed at that and I don't joke with my Omenali...I respect the people of Akure for preserving their culture and say farewell to their Deji...

1 Like

Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by bioda: 4:19pm On Dec 17, 2013
Hmmmmmmn. ...becos of diz man's death, there has been a kind of curfew in akure..no late night movements since..fear rules in the town now..to the extent that some churches have suspended vigils..no beating of drums during vigils. ..we arrived akure around 11pm on Saturday & even the soldiers at d barracks check point said. ."akure dey hot ooooo"..advising we stop and sleep at the check point! May God save us...
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by shoprite: 4:25pm On Dec 17, 2013
Rawdeal: ewwww. Such culture must be abolished.

Dammit, i'm sleeping alone this night

You really don't have to . . .just holla @ ur boy! wink
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by ugotuf(m): 4:33pm On Dec 17, 2013
VANITY!
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by lalyiva(f): 4:43pm On Dec 17, 2013
call me
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:49pm On Dec 17, 2013
JudismphD: Some cultire just promote stupidity

oluboyo04: later yu go say may our culture no die, na dis kind babaric culture we go dey keep.

but what kind of ignorance is this?

how is this any different from "Lying In State"? because he is put in a sitting position?

How is this any worse than refrigerating dead corpses for months on end before burying them just to throw a party?

All those ones in crypts in rome nko? or egypt?

those ones are not senseless culture?

sometimes i wonder on this NL sef............

1 Like

Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by ladionline: 5:01pm On Dec 17, 2013
Consultville: http://www.nigerianmonitor.com/2013/12/03/photo-late-deji-of-akures-corpse-placed-on-a-chair-for-chiefs-to-pay-homage/
This is the birth of a cultural practice. 'NOVELA AFRICAN CAPRICE.' May we live in an interesting time. The king is 'seating in state' mindset at work.
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by NovusHomo(m): 5:05pm On Dec 17, 2013

Why? Was he your boo?
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by Alenkakent(m): 5:09pm On Dec 17, 2013
Consultville: The corpse of the late Deji of Akure, Oba Adebiyi Adesida, the Afunbiowo (II) was today placed on the Monarch chair which was part of the tradition of the Akure Kingdom, a way of wishing the late traditional ruler farewell.

Residents of Akure, the Ondo State Capital trooped to the palace to see the corpse of their late king who died at the early hours of Sunday in his palace after a slight headache.

When DailyPost got to the paramount ruler’s palace, the place was filled with crowd.

The palace Chiefs were busy paying homage to the late Deji as if he was alive.

One of the Deji in Council who spoke with our correspondent said placing Deji on his seat was part of the tradition that must carried out in honour of the deceased Monarch.

The burial date for the late king is yet to be announced, but sources have revealed that he may be buried tomorrow.

Real story behind placing the dead king on his throne...
The Deji and a king of one other town (can't remember d name) do not see face to face but when any of the two dies, the dead king will be placed on his throne and the king from the other town comes @ midnight and flogs the dead king on his throne till he falls off the throne...
That is when his burial can be carried out afterwards...
I guess most people of Akure don't know of that tradition...
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by Alenkakent(m): 5:09pm On Dec 17, 2013
Consultville: The corpse of the late Deji of Akure, Oba Adebiyi Adesida, the Afunbiowo (II) was today placed on the Monarch chair which was part of the tradition of the Akure Kingdom, a way of wishing the late traditional ruler farewell.

Residents of Akure, the Ondo State Capital trooped to the palace to see the corpse of their late king who died at the early hours of Sunday in his palace after a slight headache.

When DailyPost got to the paramount ruler’s palace, the place was filled with crowd.

One of the Deji in Council who spoke with our correspondent said placing Deji on his seat was part of the tradition that must carried out in honour of the deceased Monarch.

The burial date for the late king is yet to be announced, but sources have revealed that he may be buried tomorrow.

The Deji and a king of one other town (can't remember d name) do not see face to face but when any of the two dies, the dead king will be placed on his throne and the king from the other town comes @ midnight and flogs the dead king on his throne till he falls off the throne...

Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by Rejoice5000(f): 5:10pm On Dec 17, 2013
This tradition nawaoooooo they need to flush it out like water system.abeg
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by underscore: 5:14pm On Dec 17, 2013
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by awoononi(m): 5:20pm On Dec 17, 2013
Interesting
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by fowowe411: 5:27pm On Dec 17, 2013
Exponental: Is it dat they lack Mortuary, embalming skills or no light to power d mortuary?
I think I need to build one in akure!
I have always mistake you for a clever person on this forum,Thanks for proving me otherwise.
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by Onegai(f): 5:29pm On Dec 17, 2013
"This is creepy"...

Says 90% of the people who will read this post, yet come October, will be looking for costumes for Halloween. Instead of us to respect and revere our culture, do you see Chinese people or Indians mocking aspect of their culture? What you don't value, a stranger cannot value for you.

1 Like

Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by mamagee3(f): 5:33pm On Dec 17, 2013
This is so weird!!!

1 Like

Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by olabukola: 5:43pm On Dec 17, 2013
Those of you supporting this nonsense in the name of culture and tradition are the once that will bad mouth people that collect bride price for their culture.
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by pendusky(m): 6:15pm On Dec 17, 2013

lol, so u stil dey fear in this twenty first century?
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by Mariojane(f): 6:28pm On Dec 17, 2013
I believe nairalanders shud read post before commenting. D post said its a form of respect.it is not their tradition or culture. Funny enough some of ur fathers who criticise Catholics for bowing to Mary will bow to d corpse now
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by 9japatroit(m): 6:30pm On Dec 17, 2013
it is their culture and it is beautiful,you don't have to understand it though.
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by liveogd(m): 6:36pm On Dec 17, 2013
Disturbing pix
Re: Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage by zirrah: 6:38pm On Dec 17, 2013

what are u "damning"? is it your sleeping alone this night?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names / How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story / To Maintain The Rolls-Royce Of The Emir Of Kano, Sanusi: See What It Takes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.