Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,440 members, 7,801,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:19 AM

15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra (2279 Views)

How I Will Rule My Kingdom — 17 Yr Old Delta King / Badirat Olaitan-adeyemi Donates To School For The Handicap In Oyo (photos) / 2-yr-old Child Offering Food To Her Mother (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by DeepZone: 5:30am On Jul 31, 2008
Teenager donates 10,000 pairs of shoes to charity
From Funso Muraina in Abuja, 07.30.2008
Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Fct

A15-year-old Nigerian student in Philadelphia, USA, Miss Chierika Ukogu, yesterday donated 10,000 pairs of shoes to the needy in Abuja and Ukpor, in Anambra State.

About 7,000 of the shoes were sent to the motherless homes in and around the Federal Capital Territory, while the remaining 3,000 would be distributed to the indigents in Ukpor and its environ.

Briefing the press in Abuja on how she came about the project, Ukogu said she conceived the idea to help the needy when she visited her home town, Ukpor, Nnewi South of Anambra State, five years ago.

“About five years ago, I travelled to Nigeria and I went to Ukpor, my home town. I noticed a lot of children walking around with no shoes in this modern day. I know that if you walk about with no shoes, you are more prone to parasites, bacteria, diseases and wounds.

I was touched and made up my mind to help. The opportunity came last year when I was invited to a business camp in the USA where I wrote several articles on the plights of Nigerian indigent children and my experience when I travelled to Ukpor," she explained.

Ukogu, a student of Mount Saint Joseph Academy, Philadelphia, said her articles and proposal at the camp attracted publications in several USA based journals.

``After the publications, I was able to collect over 10,000 flip flops (shoes) from donors through my school and my father volunteered a section of his garage where they were stored.

``The donations have been coming in their thousands because of the willingness of the people to help me in my plight,'' she said.

To make the project formal and to facilitate the shipment of the shoes to Nigeria, Ukogu said that she formed a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) duly registered in the USA, known as Flip Flops for Africa (FFFA).

``The first batch of the 10,000 shoes was shipped in to the country just a week ago, with the financial assistance of my parents, Mr and Mrs Joe Ukogu,'' she said.

On her challenges, Ukogu said that shipping the consignment to Nigeria and within Nigeria``was a real hazzle'' particularly getting people to understand the objective of the shoes.

The mother, Mrs Frances, said it was difficult transporting the shoes from Lagos to Abuja.

``The American side has been taking care of, the major problem is here in Nigeria because, yesterday, when I was to transport the consignment from Lagos to Abuja it was a big problem.

``I had to pay extra money because the security agents and the bus drivers were telling me the goods were contrabands even when I tried to explain to them that they were for donation for charity,'' she said.

The teenager called on the Nigeria government and other charity organisations to collaborate and support her for effective shipping and distribution of the shoes to the needy in Nigeria.

She also said that she was hoping to extend the gesture beyond Nigeria and to all African countries who are in need of the help.

``My goal is to collect and distribute over one million shoes in a year.This is achievable because the shoes keep on coming in by donors.

``Besides, I am making plans to partner with multinational shoe manufacturers in the developed countries for support,'' she said.

A member of the House of Representatives from Ukogu's constituency, Hon. Cyril Maduabun (PDP Anambra), who was at the occasion commended the efforts of the teenager.

Maduabun, the House Chairman, Public Petitions Committee said, ``It is a worthy initiative from a young girl like her and we will encourage and support her to continue.

``The House has just set up a Committee on NGO and things like this, we will do everything we can to assist her''.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/jul/30/203.html
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by DeepZone: 5:33am On Jul 31, 2008
This is very commendable. I can't believe the cops wants to obtain them for a share. She really tried for her age and kudos to her parents too for financing the project. God bless them.
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by AloyEmeka9: 6:42am On Jul 31, 2008
I can see 250 ways of making money through this route and still do the charity work. I need her number.
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by opokonwa(m): 3:05pm On Jul 31, 2008
Na so people wey no even need the shoes go kolobi am!
This na naija!
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by Ezinwannem: 4:17pm On Jul 31, 2008
Very good. These are the kind of things I like. I wish every1 would try sumthing like this and trust me, things will be beta. I would really love to meet this girl cuz the 2 of us have the same mission. I will post my plans soon. Job well done!!
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by DeepZone: 4:32pm On Jul 31, 2008
LOL.everybody wants to meet her now.
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by jaquan(m): 4:36pm On Jul 31, 2008
i am guessing cheap payless shoes abi na used shoes from family and friends? lipsrsealed
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by londoner: 4:49pm On Jul 31, 2008
This is really commendable and just goes toshow that people can actually make a difference, no matter how small.
Whether they were new or second hand shoes is irrelevant imo, its the fact that she saw lack and was touched to do something about it.

I would love to do something like this, especially for kids. I remember there was another Nigerian girl who went to feed people in Niger in famine. She raised the money herself and went with a group of like minded youngsters to Niger and fed people.

Its really an inspiration, not to talk of befitting that its the younger generations who are doing it.
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by DeepZone: 5:00pm On Jul 31, 2008
i am guessing cheap payless shoes abi na used shoes from family and friends?

Nigerians and their big mouth. Does it matter? The kids that received the shoes had none whether it's payless or used. How many kids have you sent books, pencils, cheap shoes etc? angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by Ezinwannem: 6:21pm On Jul 31, 2008
@DeepZone, dont mind da person. No matter wat it is, it is still sumthing dan dem having now. I and my friends have opened an NGO ourselves to help the less privilege kids in the Nigeria's public skool system by providing dem with school supplies such as PEN, PENCILS, BACK PACKS etc, our 1st project this xmas, I will create a tread now for it.
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by Gonorrhea(m): 6:23pm On Jul 31, 2008
OBJ has been put to shame

Ya'adua has been disgraced!!!
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by naijadiva2(f): 7:08pm On Jul 31, 2008
Ezinwannem:

@DeepZone, don't mind da person. No matter what it is, it is still something dan them having now. I and my friends have opened an NGO ourselves to help the less privilege kids in the Nigeria's public school system by providing them with school supplies such as PEN, PENCILS, BACK PACKS etc, our 1st project this xmas, I will create a tread now for it.

that's good

Gonorrhea:

OBJ has been put to shame

Ya'adua has been disgraced!!!

LOL

@topic

after reading this, it makes me want to do something.
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by Ezinwannem: 8:08pm On Jul 31, 2008
@naija_diva, If you cant start urs, u can contribute to hers/mine
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by DeepZone: 9:48pm On Jul 31, 2008
LOL

@topic

after reading this, it makes me want to do something.

Please do baby. Lots of women need assistance in getting education in Nigeria since most polygamous fathers favor their male children alone.
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by londoner: 11:24am On Aug 01, 2008
Ezinwannem:

@DeepZone, don't mind da person. No matter what it is, it is still something dan them having now. I and my friends have opened an NGO ourselves to help the less privilege kids in the Nigeria's public school system by providing them with school supplies such as PEN, PENCILS, BACK PACKS etc, our 1st project this xmas, I will create a tread now for it.

Thats really great, well done!

I wish those who are doing things and willing to do things to help would come together, even if its just for one project. What a finger can achieve cant be compared to what can be aciheved when those fingers come together to form a hand/fist.

Please provide details of your ngo please, I would like to see what I can contribute.

Also does anyone have the details of the 15 year old girl who sent the shoes? I would also like to contact her.
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by ifyalways(f): 1:05pm On Aug 01, 2008
nice moves.i do hope the shoes would get the "feet" it was meant for.
well done
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by bunmi4real: 6:33pm On Aug 01, 2008
10000 shoes!!! shocked where im get d moni
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by Ezinwannem: 6:47pm On Aug 01, 2008
Bunmi, na donation 4rom people
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by OBVIOUS(m): 9:44pm On Nov 14, 2008
whats the point of shoes if people don't have FOOD to eat.
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by bawomolo(m): 3:29am On Nov 15, 2008
OBVIOUS:

oh come on. one person can't do all that alone. the kid is at least doing his part.
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by romeo(m): 9:58am On Nov 15, 2008
OBVIOUS:

And what's the point of house if people don't have food to eat
Whats the point of clothes if people don't have food to eat etc.

Mr or Mrs. Obvious!! make use of your brain angry

A little girl of 15 made a donation of a staggering 10,000 shoes and you are asking her food for the people. Dumb dumb dumb!!!
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by Nobody: 1:02pm On Nov 17, 2008
romeo:

And what's the point of house if people don't have food to eat
Whats the point of clothes if people don't have food to eat etc.

Mr or Mrs. Obvious!! make use of your brain angry

A little girl of 15 made a donation of a staggering 10,000 shoes and you are asking her food for the people. Dumb dumb dumb!!!

MA DA N LOUN JARE. you can't please this world. i bet even mother theresa had her work criticised by people who folded their hands and did nothing.

he should tell us how much food he has donated so far, and see if he can beat providing shoes for 5,000 people.
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by Hotstepper(f): 3:05pm On Nov 17, 2008
I am in contact with the 15 yrs old, we r putting heads together.

@londoner, My NGO will be finally having the distribution of these skool supplies (school bags, pens, pencils etc) on the 15th of dec. in Lagos. So far, 3 Nigerian Newspapers will cover it for us. We will all be there to distribute it to the 350 students in the skool from primary 1-6. So we wont be sending it to the school authority to do the job cuz we know it wont get to the students. The name of the NGO is "BRINGING EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANCE TO MANY", BEAM INC. You can visit our website at
www.beaminc.org
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by DeepZone: 6:59am On Nov 18, 2008
Hotstepper:

I am in contact with the 15 years old, we r putting heads together.

@londoner, My NGO will be finally having the distribution of these school supplies (school bags, pens, pencils etc) on the 15th of dec. in Lagos. So far, 3 Nigerian Newspapers will cover it for us. We will all be there to distribute it to the 350 students in the school from primary 1-6. So we wont be sending it to the school authority to do the job because we know it wont get to the students. The name of the NGO is "BRINGING EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANCE TO MANY", BEAM INC. You can visit our website at
www.beaminc.org

very impressive
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by acidrop(f): 7:03am On Nov 18, 2008
pls am a nigerian ooo, and i dont have 10, 0000 shoes so can any donation be made 2 me, ?
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by Hotstepper(f): 2:18pm On Nov 18, 2008
@DeepZone, THANK YOU
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by tRoOE(f): 4:48am On Nov 19, 2008
[size=13pt]wow that is so brilliant of her
But i don't see myself donating my shoes hehehe lai lai
But why can't they donate money, food, or build house for the motherless babies e.t.c
[/size]
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by okunoba(m): 8:07am On Nov 26, 2008
respect to the young girl. I hope we can all learn from this. gave to the north and the south, though from the east. The youth sees poverty not ethnicity. Bless her.
Re: 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra by okunoba(m): 8:10am On Nov 26, 2008
troe,
y don`t u do something instead of talking. Basket mouth.

(1) (Reply)

Igala Isn't A Yoruba Language But Classified As Yoruboid / The Igbo's Concept Of Time / Does Westernization Equate To Civilization?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.