Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,101 members, 7,807,306 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:06 PM

Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner (920 Views)

Why You Should Be Careful In Choosing Your Next Of Kin (Photos) / Tips For Getting Through A Partner Who Doesn't Listen. / So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner by Nobody: 8:08pm On Dec 17, 2013
Re: Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner by Afam4eva(m): 8:11pm On Dec 17, 2013
You can either choose what your father wants or follow your heart. If you believe in what your father has said to you then you can by all means find an Ada or Mgbeke Igbo girl to marry. Don't forget that you're the one marrying the girl and not your father.
Re: Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner by Nobody: 8:17pm On Dec 17, 2013
Afam4eva: You can either choose what your father wants or follow your heart. If you believe in what your father has said to you then you can by all means find an Ada or Mgbeke Igbo girl to marry. Don't forget that you're the one marrying the girl and not your father.
thanks i know am d one marrying her and not my dad. But his advice cannot be totally ignored either

1 Like

Re: Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner by chykfy(f): 8:45pm On Dec 17, 2013
kapable75: Pls guys i need ur candid advice on this issues. Av been hooked (jx friends notin more) with this gal for about 8yrs nw and she's just someone i'll lik to spend d rest of my life with but the problem it that she's an edo gal and am igbo. Each time i remember d words of my dad concerning marrying from another tribe, it pulls me bak so am asking if its rite to marry some1 from another tribe? and also if u're married, u can as well share ur experience if it paid off or not.
#shalom
8 gud yrs and u re still contemplating? Guy u never serious first
Re: Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner by Nobody: 2:24am On Dec 18, 2013
^ ^ ^ i taya oo.... sad angry
Re: Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner by Kanwulia: 4:55am On Dec 18, 2013
Oh yes! kiss
I sure do!
EAST OR WEST OF NIGERIA? FIIIIIIIIAKWAAAAAH!!!!! cry

Won't even DREEEEEEAAAM of phocking from those areas, not to mention MARRY. TWAH!
Re: Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner by Nobody: 4:59am On Dec 18, 2013
kapable75: Pls guys i need ur candid advice on this issues. Av been hooked (jx friends notin more) with this gal for about 8yrs nw and she's just someone i'll lik to spend d rest of my life with but the problem it that she's an edo gal and am igbo. Each time i remember d words of my dad concerning marrying from another tribe, it pulls me bak so am asking if its rite to marry some1 from another tribe? and also if u're married, u can as well share ur experience if it paid off or not.
#shalom

8 solid girls you have milked the poor girl and now you are asking questions
If you don't want to marry her please leave her alone to find a husband,you are wasting her time
Her clock is ticking
Re: Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner by Nobody: 7:38am On Dec 18, 2013
chykfy:
8 gud yrs and u re still contemplating? Guy u never serious first
am just being careful to avoid stories that touch
Re: Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner by Nobody: 7:52am On Dec 18, 2013
Baby mama:

8 solid girls you have milked the poor girl and now you are asking questions
If you don't want to marry her please leave her alone to find a husband,you are wasting her time
Her clock is ticking
no body milked any1, she lived her life and i lived mind lik is said above we were friends while in high skul. We weren't even dating within these 8yrs
Re: Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner by ifyalways(f): 8:18am On Dec 18, 2013
kapable75: no body milked any1, she lived her life and i lived mind lik is said above we were friends while in high skul. We weren't even dating within these 8yrs

So,who were you dating and why are you contemplating marriage with her seeing as you labeled her as a "mere friend" ?
Re: Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner by Nobody: 8:45am On Dec 18, 2013
#shalom

Please how old are you?
Re: Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner by Nobody: 6:20pm On Dec 18, 2013
ifyalways:
So,who were you dating and why are you contemplating marriage with her seeing as you labeled her as a "mere friend" ?
ify she's special and that made me not to date another person
Re: Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner by Nobody: 6:21pm On Dec 18, 2013
andromida:

Please how old are you?
does it matter?
Re: Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner by Nobody: 6:54pm On Dec 18, 2013
Yes alot
Re: Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner by Nobody: 9:49pm On Dec 18, 2013
U're welcom swidy
Re: Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner by Nobody: 10:54pm On Dec 18, 2013
My brother, I can't blame you for asking questions at this stage but whatever you decide, pls don't break the poor girls heart if she knows you love her.

Now to the crux of the matter**
Whatever you believe in affects you in one form or the other. Yes, your dad has told you some things that have swayed your thinking so you can't make an unbiased decision already.

If you were brought up in the east, schooled in the east and the Igbo culture matters a lot to you and your family a lot, pls marry an Igbo girl cos marriage is not just you and your wife alone. Your wife has to relate to your brother(s), sister(s), aunties, uncles and so on and she will know if she is accepted or not once ur kids start coming and ur family gets larger.

But for someone like me, I grew up in the east (Anambra/Enugu), schooled there till end of secondary school. Then I did my first degree beyond d shores of d Niger, its not a big deal. Also my dad didn't have any strong affiliations to the Igbo culture, so I wasn't bothered about culture when it was time to get married. But 4 u, I think it matters a lot cos u have some strong attachments to ur dad's beliefs. Pls marry from Ibo land (east). Marriage is beyond I love you. Can your people love her as a person? Pls think with your head oh! Its a sensitive decision. Pls handle her carefully and do not let her know that you aren't going 2 marry her cos of her tribe. That's not humane enough.

I have been married for 9 years and I don't have a problem with her culture, people etc. And I have lovely kids. What works for me may not work for you.

2 Likes

Re: Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner by Nobody: 2:10am On Dec 19, 2013
It goes both ways
Is the OP sure her parents would want him as a son in law?
That may be a good place to start before thinking about his folks
It is tough for a man to marry a woman his people don't like but it is disastrous and suicidal for a woman to defy her parents and marry a man they don't approve of.
A woman needs to go into marriage with her family solidly behind her
A man needs to see with his korokoro eyes that the woman comes from a people who love and support her and will be there for her should he misbehave.
Re: Should Ethnic Differences Be Consider In Choosing A Partner by Nobody: 9:10am On Dec 19, 2013
@chiebube~ did u just hit d nail on my head? U sure made a gr8 point there but fortunately unfortunately i did not grow up @ east. I lived 80% of my life here @ the north.

@baby mama~ nw u got me thinking again, its also a two-way tin buh i dont think her family will have any problem with that base on my little observation

(1) (Reply)

Single Ladies/married Ladies: Who Would You Go For? / This Letters Will Make You Cry / Father Keeps Family Money With Daughter, Not Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.