Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,932 members, 7,806,699 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:10 PM

Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] (8468 Views)

Mile 12 Market Comes Back To Life After Deadly Tribal Clash / Traders At Mile 12 Relocate To Lagos/Ibadan Expressway / Electric Cable At First Bank ATM Mile 12, Lagos (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by Naofficial: 2:36am On Dec 18, 2013

PORT HARCOURT — HUNDREDS
of shops stuffed to the brim with food, clothings and other items, as Christmas shopping peaked, were razed in a wild fire which reduced the Mile I market in Port Harcourt to rubles, yesterday.
The fire also burnt adjacent house, 57, Ikwerre Road, a two-storey building housing shop owners and other residents who lost virtually all their personal belongings to the fire.
The inferno reportedly started out at about 2 am, but none of the devastated shop owners and the market authorities, some of who also claimed to have lost millions of cash locked in their shops, were able to establish a clue as to what ignited it and the exact point where it started.
Scene of the inferno
However, Rivers State Commissioner for Special Duties, Dickson Umunakwe, whose ministry supervises the state fire service, blamed the uninhibited impact of the fire on poor consciousness among traders and residents in the vicinity.
He said: “Three things are involved in this disaster: Carelessness on the part of the traders and residents of this area, ignorance and sabotage. These factors contributed.”
Umunakwe further said efforts to co-opt the fire units of major oil companies in Port Harcourt which could have added value to the state fire service’s efforts to arrest the fire did not materialise as companies who were reached on phone declined assistance on the ground that they needed a go ahead from their managements.
Govt suspects sabotage
The state Commissioner for Information, Ibim Semenitari, in separate reaction, harped on sabotage, alleging a link between the inferno and current political uncertainties in the state.
He said: “At 2 a.m, we heard dynamite and all kinds of sounds emanating from the AbonimaWharf area and also from the Marine Base. This sound continued. We are suspicious of sabotage in the light of current happenings in the state.”
Blame galore
In continued blame passing over the disaster, factional Chairman of the Mile I Market Association, Chief Young Obene Clark Georgewill, accused Chairman of a council in the state as masterminding the burning of the market.
He said: “Recently, I borrowed some money from a micro finance bank, but I was not feeling well so I gave it to my wife to stock my shop. Now everything is gone, burnt by these people.”
Kenneth Eze, the Market Master instated by Akarolo, the Port Harcourt council boss who displaced Georgewill, however, blamed the fire disaster on negligence by the council and the Rivers State Government on maintenance of the market.
Victims count losses
Mrs. Olatoyin, one of several tenants at the storey building also gutted by the fire said the impact would have been far minimal if the Rivers State Fire Service was proactive.
She said “The fire started from the other side and as early as past 2am, I and my husband rushed to the fire service close by. They came with trucks but none had water. They were just there idling about with their vehicles as the fire spread, burning the entire shops and took over our house.
“What I am putting on is the only clothes I have. By the time we returned from the fire service, our entire apartment was razed, including documents. The state fire service is just there for nothing. They are not working. I am nonetheless grateful that nobody was burnt to death.
“And I went back to our burnt apartment and discovered that my gold jewelleries were not damaged.”
Madam Joy Opara who lost her shop of deep freezers with fresh stock of frozen food to the fire said, in between sobs, said “I cannot quantify the lost. I don’t even know where to start. Most of us borrowed money to trade”in this market. What I get daily I use in supporting my family and younger ones who are in school. Where do I go from here now?”
As victims count their losses, Chairman (Major) of Port Harcourt City Council, Aharolo, has promised to build a more befitting market at the burnt shops while also declaring to set up inquiry into the disaster.
[VANGUARD]

click to see Female Police officer caught on Camera Flogging 2 young men[nu-de] for abusing women
http://www./news-midnight-fire-razes-port-harcourt-m.xhtml

2 Likes

Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by shizykay1(m): 3:11am On Dec 18, 2013
ehyàaa...ds is so bad..may God grant d traders d fortitude to bear dm loss
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by clip: 4:08am On Dec 18, 2013
Is it a yearly thing or bi-annual?
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by Naofficial: 7:21am On Dec 18, 2013
clip: Is it a yearly thing or bi-annual?
WTF
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by otokx(m): 7:33am On Dec 18, 2013
Most of them one said, borrowed to trade, its indeed a great loss.

1 Like

Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by budusky05(m): 8:58am On Dec 18, 2013
A big pity, take hart
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by Codedrock(m): 9:40am On Dec 18, 2013
More pics
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by fingard02k(m): 10:10am On Dec 18, 2013
in this harmattan
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by Nobody: 10:11am On Dec 18, 2013
I smell the handiwork of 1st woman...
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by michaelcipher(m): 10:11am On Dec 18, 2013
Omo see damage o, when will we get use to fire sensitization in Nigeria
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by LMAyedun(m): 10:12am On Dec 18, 2013
Fire! Fire!!!
The weather is so dry and Harsh.
We should all be careful.
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by lilymore(f): 10:13am On Dec 18, 2013
sorry oooooooo
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by Nobody: 10:13am On Dec 18, 2013
I was there to witness it, even the sand of mile one market was in ashes
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by Blueboy146(m): 10:15am On Dec 18, 2013
#Not_concerned
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by JohnFrankling(m): 10:20am On Dec 18, 2013
Yesterday again it was part of ahoada market that got burnt also in rivers state and a tanker loaded with fuel exploded in elele round-about also in rivers state,I guess rivers state is in a state trials now
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by Lovexme(m): 10:21am On Dec 18, 2013
Bad Market!
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by Nobody: 10:27am On Dec 18, 2013
You see how these useless foools in government are playing politics with peoples lives and properties? I suspect political sabotage here. Jonathan is busy launching toy drones that will wipe him in Abuja while rivers is burning. Talk about misplaced priority!! Is it a coincidence that all these bad things is happening in rivers overnight? The once beautifu garden city of the nation.... My Pitakwa! Why do they want to destabilise this beautiful state for cheap political gains? All the same, Nigerians deserve the kind of leaders they get. These are the same leaders whom some e-retards like insincere9igerian will come online to defend. Same leaders online cankerworms like Abagworo, Dendemoron, Dayolodo, Gbawe-ediat will use there last breath to defend!!! Like I will always tell peeps, NIGERIA DIED AT INDEPENDENCE!

1 Like

Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by Lilimax(f): 10:29am On Dec 18, 2013
Why does fire incidents occur mostly towards the end of the year sad?
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by slimthugchimee(m): 10:30am On Dec 18, 2013
Ok nah but them shop owners suppose get insurance
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by Okijajuju1(m): 10:36am On Dec 18, 2013
Was the new market affected
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by Iceman296: 10:36am On Dec 18, 2013
Quite Unfortunate.
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by jayAjoku(m): 10:37am On Dec 18, 2013
whosoever is behind this . God will judge you accordingly. Also God will judge the state government for its great show of ignorance towards safety and emergency response. How can fire service arrive without the most vital ingredient or item "WATER" ... And their office is so close to the market..... What a bumbling bunch of baffoons. Take heart dear traders God will make a way
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by Csami(m): 10:39am On Dec 18, 2013
I just feel for those who lost their properties. It so sad and coupled with christmas at the corner, and the silly firefighters with empty tanks.
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by jayAjoku(m): 10:39am On Dec 18, 2013
exxell: You see how these useless foools in government are playing politics with peoples lives and properties? I suspect political sabotage here. Jonathan is busy launching toy drones that will wipe him in Abuja while rivers is burning. Talk about misplaced priority!! Is it a coincidence that all these bad things is happening in rivers overnight? The once beautifu garden city of the nation.... My Pitakwa! Why do they want to destabilise this beautiful state for cheap political gains? All the same, Nigerians deserve the kind of leaders they get. These are the same leaders whom some e-retards like insincere9igerian will come online to defend. Same leaders online cankerworms like Abagworo, Dendemoron, Dayolodo, Gbawe-ediat will use there last breath to defend!!! Like I will always tell peeps, NIGERIA DIED AT INDEPENDENCE!
guy u are on point . Am glad to see a likeminded individual. Like you
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by RedCard1(m): 10:40am On Dec 18, 2013
Old gist. Well, that burnt area of the market itself is inflamable. Market wey dem just construct with wood, water proffs, etc. I still pity the traders though. My neighbour who sells Italian shoes there lost everything.
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by mrborntodoit: 10:43am On Dec 18, 2013
This incident is very suspicious. I think they just wanted to build a new market and instead of settling the shop owners and. Going through the long process of ejecting them, they kuku born the market and no one will disturb the reconstruction until completion and y then the shops would be for sale. This happened a lot in Lagos . Govt should stop robbing it's people. Shikena angry

3 Likes

Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by Nobody: 10:47am On Dec 18, 2013

I created a topic abt this fire by 3am yesterday when it was happening, it never made the front page. Nairaland mods, una too try

3 Likes

Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by Wisdytech(m): 11:01am On Dec 18, 2013
God wil see them through! God bless you
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by Andyblaze: 11:04am On Dec 18, 2013
Wow too bad

My heartfelt condolences to those affected
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by Dedewizzy(m): 11:08am On Dec 18, 2013
some pictures of the incident yesterday

Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by 500GP: 11:16am On Dec 18, 2013
LAGOS SHOULD BE READY TO WELCOME PH CITIZENS .....
DEY GO FULL LAGOS DIE. ..
Re: Midnight Fire Razes Port-harcourt Mile One Market&two-storey Building[pics] by sweetestguy(m): 11:26am On Dec 18, 2013
Too bad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oil Price Slumps To $46 Amid Brexit Concerns / Becoming a global service provider , hasn't been this easy , come find out how? / Steemit.com A Chance To Financinal Freedom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.