Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,186 members, 7,807,631 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:35 PM

Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage (18095 Views)

Kaduna Assembly Passes Bill On Master Plan Into Law / Senate Passes 46 Bills In 10mins / Enugu Assembly Passes Bill Banning Okada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by prymesolution: 6:20pm On Dec 18, 2013
The Senate yesterday unanimously passed a harmonized Conference Committee report banning same sex marriage in Nigeria, a development that defies stiff western opposition to the ban.

Again, the Senate President, David Mark called on President Goodluck Jonathan to quickly sign the Bill into law.

"We have been under series of attack from different quarters. I think we believe in this Bill. The earlier we sign it into law, the better. We (Nigeria) have have many shortcomings, we don't one to add this one (same sex marriage) to it," said David Mark.

In detail the Bill passed by the Senate states that:

A marriage contract or civil union entered into between persons of same sex by virtue a certificate issued by a foreign country shall be void in Nigeria.

Marriage or civil union entered into between persons of same sex shall not be solemnized in any place of worship either Church or Mosque or any other place whatsoever called in Nigeria.

Only marriage contracted between a man and a woman either under Islamic Law, Customary Law or the Marriage Act is recognized as valid in Nigeria.

Persons that entered into a same sex marriage or civil union contract commit an offense and are jointly liable on conviction to a term of 14 years imprisonment each.

Any persons or group of persons that administers, witnesses, screens, abet and aids the solemnization of a same sex marriage contract or civil union or supports the registration, operation of gay clubs, societies and organizations, processions or meetings in Nigeria commits an offense and liable on conviction to a term of 10 years imprisonment.

http://www.infonubia.com/2013/12/nigerian-senate-bans-same-sex-marriage.html

8 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by Nobody: 7:00pm On Dec 18, 2013
Thumbs up NASS.

Please when are you guys criminalizing underage marriage?

5 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by slimthugchimee(m): 7:52pm On Dec 18, 2013
barcanista: Thumbs up NASS.

i might not be hausa but i dont like it its hausa culture we can stop their culture and besides samesex is western culture
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by prymesolution: 8:12pm On Dec 18, 2013
barcanista: Thumbs up NASS.

Good question!
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by Nobody: 8:32pm On Dec 18, 2013
slimthugchimee: i might not be hausa but i dont like it its hausa culture we can stop their culture and besides samesex marriage is western culture
fixed
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by Nobody: 10:48pm On Dec 18, 2013
slimthugchimee: i might not be hausa but i dont like it its hausa culture we can stop their culture and besides samesex is western culture
Oga underage marriage is not anybody's culture.

Yerima knows this!
Beside, Laws are meant to protect the interest of every citizen, if a tribes custom contradicts the law, the custom need be amended or abolished. The LAW of Nigeria supersedes all.

6 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by prymesolution: 10:54pm On Dec 18, 2013
barcanista: Oga underage marriage is not anybody's culture.

Yerima knows this!
Beside, Laws are meant to protect the interest of every citizen, if a tribes custom contradicts the law, the custom need be amended or abolished. The LAW of Nigeria supersedes all.

Well said!
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by Nobody: 10:56pm On Dec 18, 2013
The Senate yesterday[b] unanimously[/b] passed a harmonized Conference Committee report banning same sex marriage in Nigeria, a development that defies stiff western opposition to the ban.

I like the word "unanimously"

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by Nobody: 10:59pm On Dec 18, 2013
David Cameron should go and die . Hehehehe...

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by prymesolution: 11:19pm On Dec 18, 2013
scipher: David Cameron should go and die . Hehehehe...
grin grin grin grin
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by aventura: 11:54pm On Dec 18, 2013
Obama should go and die.

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by Brimmie(m): 1:06am On Dec 19, 2013
Good.

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by mink505: 4:39am On Dec 19, 2013
barcanista: Oga underage marriage is not anybody's culture.

Yerima knows this!

gbam!!
we need to stop conflating culture with law. law should be there to PROTECT. In fact, the reason why gays have rights in western countries is because the law promotes human rights for ALL. whether you are gay or straight, child or adult, or tall or short or deaf or dumb or blind, muslim or christian. the law will protect you in America (at least 95% better than a country like Nigeria) as long as you do not harm or steal from others.
that is the big difference between Nigeria and western countries.

Nigeria has no human rights. child marriage, homophobia, corruption, r.ape, police brutality, violence, religious animosity is endemic. Nigeria is a failed country. Most Nigerians are ignorant masses easily herded like goats.

aventura: Obama should go and die.
scipher: David Cameron should go and die . Hehehehe...

typical Nigerian mentality. Yet you fools will jump at a chance to leave Nigeria and go abroad to USA or UK. hahaha
hypocrites.

17 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by mink505: 4:53am On Dec 19, 2013

Persons that entered into a same sex marriage or civil union contract commit an offense and are jointly liable on conviction to a term of 14 years imprisonment each.

nigerian govt takes itself way too seriously. who cares about a dumb useless Nigerian marriage certificate?
Nigerian marriage certificate has no meaning. just a useless piece of paper that is only needed when you apply for visa to leave Nigeria grin

Any persons or group of persons that administers, witnesses, screens, abet and aids the solemnization of a same sex marriage contract or civil union or supports the registration, operation of gay clubs, societies and organizations, processions or meetings in Nigeria commits an offense and liable on conviction to a term of 10 years imprisonment.

hahaha anybody who operates any organization or protest that challenges the corruption of our politicians will also be killed or arrested so what's new here? police beat and arrest people for simple reasons as not paying bribes. so what's d difference between a homosexual citizen and a non-homosexual Nigerian citizen from a political perspective? we are all slaves and prisoners. Nigeria has no human rights. whether you are gay or non-gay, you can still be arrested for no reason. we have a non-functional govt and our politicians are worse than the homosexuals. Don't let us fall for this scam.

yet we nigerians are very stupid. our dictatorial government pit us against each other and we don't see it. we assume that gays are the scapegoats. when in fact, all Nigerians are at risk of violent attacks. if you join the government to persecute gays, don't complain when the government comes to persecute you. Nigerian govt has no respect for anybody. whether you are gay or not.

don't fall for the tricks. let's not fool ourselves. you are no better than the gays you are condemning. neither do you have more rights than them in reality. before we know it, we will be living under sharia or abacha reincarnate.

10 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by prymesolution: 5:07am On Dec 19, 2013
mink505:

gbam!!
we need to stop conflating culture with law. law should be there to PROTECT. In fact, the reason why gays have rights in western countries is because the law promotes human rights for ALL. whether you are gay or straight, child or adult, or tall or short or deaf or dumb or blind, muslim or christian. the law will protect you in America (at least 95% better than a country like Nigeria) as long as you do not harm or steal from others.
that is the big difference between Nigeria and western countries.

Nigeria has no human rights. child marriage, homophobia, corruption, r.ape, police brutality, violence, religious animosity is endemic. Nigeria is a failed country. Most Nigerians are ignorant masses easily herded like goats.

typical Nigerian mentality. Yet you fools will jump at a chance to leave Nigeria and go abroad to USA or UK. hahaha
hypocrites.

Good point!
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by greatgod2012(f): 6:03am On Dec 19, 2013
So, senator Yerima has mouth to be among those who ban same sex marriage, what about child marriage that he engages in, isn't that a crime too?

Same sex marriage is bad, as well as child marriage. What are the senate doing about it?

Yerima, shameless, pervert and wicked old hag. God is seeing you and your cohorts.

5 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by mink505: 6:12am On Dec 19, 2013
greatgod2012: So, senator Yerima has mouth to be among those who ban same sex marriage, what about child marriage that he engages in, isn't that a crime too?
Same sex marriage is bad, as well as child marriage. What are the senate doing about it?
Yerima, shameless, pervert and wicked old hag. God is seeing you and your cohorts.

"God is seeing them"? So it is God that will hold our leaders accountable for us? you are waiting for miraculous intervention? Lol keep waiting.

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by Mynd44: 6:16am On Dec 19, 2013
I dont see anywhere they banned being gay. They merely banned the union and advocating of it.
Okay na

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by mink505: 6:44am On Dec 19, 2013
Mynd_44: I dont see anywhere they banned being gay. They merely banned the union and advocating of it.
Okay na

you didn't read this part:

----
clearly, gays are not allowed to meet each other or fraternize socially. this is pretty much a social ban on gays.
and trust Nigerians, they will use this opportunity to place justice in their own hands. ex mob justice.

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by Mynd44: 7:06am On Dec 19, 2013
mink505:

you didn't read this part:

---

clearly, gays are not allowed to meet each other or fraternize socially. this is pretty much a social ban on gays.
besides, what laws like these do is that they make it ok for civilians to harass gays. if civilians decide to burn a gay person alive on the street, they will justify it by the anti-gay laws and knowing how Nigeria is, such civilians will NOT be arrested. and that gay person's family will NOT be compensated. it is resolutely illegal to be gay in Nigeria. pretty much the idea is that gays should stay in the closet. imagine all the gay men pretending to be straight marrying women and creating families in public while in secret, have a separate gay life. these are the things that promote HIV/AIDS. stupid laws.

Lynching is a crime whether gay or robbers. This law does not ban being gay, the law is followed to the letter and I am referring to if a person can be charged it being gay which is not possible under this law. A policeman cannot arrest a gay person and anyone having gay sex wont be jailed because the law states marriage.

I guess it is good news for gay people
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by Mynd44: 7:07am On Dec 19, 2013
Oh and since they can't marry, they can live together and do whatever in their house
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by mink505: 7:16am On Dec 19, 2013
Mynd_44:
Lynching is a crime whether gay or robbers. This law does not ban being gay, the law is followed to the letter and I am referring to if a person can be charged it being gay which is not possible under this law. A policeman cannot arrest a gay person and anyone having gay sex wont be jailed because the law states marriage.

Like I said in a previous post, the law doesn't matter because Nigerian govt is non-functional anway. they never enforce their laws. lynching happens all the time, no one gets arrested for it. have you ever heard of anyone getting arrested for burning an "armed robber" to death in public?.
What is dangerous is the Nigerian public. the reason this law matters is the symbolic significance. it gives people the justification to persecute gays or act violently toward gays.

I'm sure most gays could care less about govt laws. they are probably more concerned about persecution from their neighbors. they can be beaten in public by random people etc. and these kind of laws give justification to that. and besides, if a straight man told the police anything and the gay man denies it, who do you think the police would believe? ie referring to the ban on gay fraternizing in public spaces. should all gays ow be under house arrest because they can't be seen socially in public?

noone cares about marriage certificates on the practical level. it's not like USA where marriage is important for things like taxes, adopting a child etc. in naija, it's just a useless paper. I doubt that gays care about whether or not they can officially "marry"
it is more of the symbolic meaning of the law that's important.

at the end of the day, nigeria is d way it is mostly because of its 150 million people. we like to blame govt for our problems but govt is just some random institution far away somewhere (unless of course you try to directly threaten it). unlike developed world where the have strong govt that are actually significant and meaningful.

3 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by gboso1ne(m): 7:25am On Dec 19, 2013
I will support same sex marriage the moment they will be able to have their own childre without going through adoption
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by Mynd44: 7:25am On Dec 19, 2013
True
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by Illuminatus(m): 7:46am On Dec 19, 2013
Mynd_44:

It isn't exactly news. Most Nigerian gay men aren't interested in marrying their partners. The bill was a waste of time and taxpayers money.
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by prymesolution: 8:00am On Dec 19, 2013
Mynd_44:

I didn't think about it in that sense. Good point!
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by Mynd44: 8:12am On Dec 19, 2013
Illuminatus:
It isn't exactly news. Most Nigerian gay men aren't interested in marrying their partners. The bill was a waste of time and taxpayers money.
Massive waste. When there are better things to discuss

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by Symphony007: 8:33am On Dec 19, 2013
Oh! Thank God!! The senate has finally ban gay marraige. All our problems as a nation will start disappearing one by one. I'm tired of all these gays waiting in line at churches and courts asking to be married. Thank God we have such a fuctioning government in nigeria that solves the most pressing issues!

11 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by ShineIt: 8:41am On Dec 19, 2013
Are they also going to dissolve the marriage between Tinubu and Buhari?
Their marriage is unnatural .

2 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by mink505: 8:42am On Dec 19, 2013
gboso1ne: I will support same sex marriage the moment they will be able to have their own childre without going through adoption

not everyone sees marriage in that way. what about couples that choose not to have kids?
or couples that are infertile? or ones that have pets that they care for etc.
anyway, science has its ways. in the near future, women won't even need sperm to be able to have kids. scientists have been able to create artificial sperm cells from bone marrow.
even now, you can choose to remove your egg from your womb and let another woman carry your pregnancy for you. it's called surrogacy.
the traditional religious views of marriage is often dumb. imagine the catholic church banned the use of condom among married couples until 2008!! because in their mind, marriage is about procreation and nothing else. LOL

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1223617/No-men-OR-women-needed-artificial-sperm-eggs-created-time.html

---

besides, there is no need for "adoption" in naija. the govt is so inept that you can meet a random stranger and take their child in to live with you and no govt official will question you about it. you are never at any point in time asked to prove your biological parenthood. ex. child slaves househelps , black market adoption etc

2 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by prymesolution: 3:05pm On Dec 19, 2013
Shine It: Are they also going to dissolve the marriage between Tinubu and Buhari?
Their marriage is unnatural .
Hahaha. All na wayo. Na mago mago!
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Ban Same Sex Marriage by HezronLorraine(m): 9:10pm On Dec 21, 2013
The thread is on.*Books seat*

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Fayose Suspends SSG, Modupe Alade, Orders HOS To Oversee Office / Osinbajo Sends Onnoghen’s Name To Senate For Confirmation As CJN / Minister Of Youth: Why Not Professor Imumolen, That Youngest Presidential Candid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.