Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:20 PM

A Nairalander's Personalities Of The Year 2013 - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / A Nairalander's Personalities Of The Year 2013 (599 Views)

10 Most Fashionable Nigerian Female Radio Personalities [photos] / Top 5 World Most Influential Personalities Of All Time / Best Couple Of The Year 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Personalities Of The Year 2013 by nedu2000(m): 2:08pm On Dec 19, 2013
The year 2013 started like previous years; with renewed hopes and aspirations; and the phrase "new year resolution" suffering further abuse. As for my humble self, I lost count of the number of new year resolutions I failed to keep in the past. Lol.
The year has had its fair share of historic events: from the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI and election of Pope Francis, to Calcium deposits discovered on Mars by NASA. From a two-year-old US girl being the first child born with HIV to be cured, to Lance Armstrong's confession to using performance Enhancement Drugs and Tiger Woods returning to golf nbr one.

In the local scene, Nigeria's Super Eagles against all odds won the CAF African Cup of Nations for the 1st time in 19 years.
The year also recorded the demise of some notable icons and personalities such as: Chinua Achebe, Hugo Chavez, Margaret Thatcher and most recently, Nelson Mandela.
I've nominated 5 remarkable personalities that have influenced our lives either positively or negatively as my PERSON of THE YEAR 2013. In no particular order they are:
(1) Chief Vincent Ejikeme Ezenwajiaku: the name doesn't quite ring a bell, I know. Chief Ezenwajiaku is an erstwhile Commissioner for Special Duties in Anambra state. On September 19th 2013, he did the 'un-nigerian' thing by resigning his position as commissioner pending investigation of alleged defrauding a business partner to the tune of N10.6 million. He resigned because according to him he didn't want to bring the government of Anambra state to disrepute. Though he maintained his innocence, the former commissioner shocked Anambarians when he decided to tender his resignation. Whether he's guilty or not is another matter entirely. The fact Chief Ezenwajiaku realized that the position of commissioner is bigger than any individual is quite commendable and worthy of recognition. For that he gets my nod for nomination.
(2) Abubakar Shekau: As controversial as this may seem, the Boko Haram leader is arguably the most influential Nigerian of 2013. Earlier in the year he made a master class of a comment when he said it was the federal govt that needed to be given amnesty by Boko Haram and not the other way round. The Sheikh seems to have eluded capture by the JTF who made bogus claims that he may have been killed during a military offensive in the mountains of Borno. But it turned out to be false, the 'ghost' of a man appears to be hale and hearty. For all the mystery that surrounds this blood thirsty monster, he's indeed worthy of recognition.
(3) Obafaiye Shem Sunday: the NSCDC officer won't be forgotten by Nigerians in a hurry. This is a man that postulated the 'oga at the top' mantra that went viral in March this year. It didn't come as a surprise that the the 'oga at the top' video got about 50 million views on youtube. Mr. Shem provided comic relief for more than two months to a country with one of the lowest life expectancies in the world, a high rate of unemployment and level of poverty reaching 68%. His performance in the Channels TV interview was so admirable that he was 'rewarded' with a redeployment to Oyo state. The good people of Oyo state should consider themselves lucky to have such an illustrious personality in their midst. No rehearsals! No retakes! Mr. Shem you were simply incredible!
(4). Atedo Peterside : the National Council on Privatisation boss needs no introduction to those in the power sector. This is a man who has been credited with the completion of the privatisation in the power sector by ensuring that bidders followed due process and always met deadline. He must have stepped on toes in his bid to accomplish what seemed to be a Herculean task, but Mr. Peterside remained assertive and resolute.
(5).Chibuike Amaechi: some will accuse me of being partisan for making this choice but I can't help but admire guvnor Amaechi's courage. The Rivers state nbr one citizen is a dogged fighter personified. In today's politics where sychophancy is common place, Amaechi has stood his ground despite myriads of intimidation and suppression from the govt at the centre. He may have his critics but I'm convinced posterity will judge him as one of the best state guvnors in the history of Nigeria.
Re: A Nairalander's Personalities Of The Year 2013 by nedu2000(m): 2:25pm On Dec 19, 2013
In summary!!
(1) Chief Vincent Ejikeme Ezenwajiaku
(2) Abubakar Shekau
(3) Obafaiye Shem Sunday
(4). Atedo Peterside
(5).Chibuike Amaechi
Re: A Nairalander's Personalities Of The Year 2013 by nedu2000(m): 2:29pm On Dec 19, 2013
"

(1) (Reply)

Eldee D Don Wants Same Sex Marriage Legalised / Kemi Omololu-olunloyo Is Leaving Nigeria At Last! / Cossy Shows Are Support For The Super Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.