Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

Was Okocha A World Class Player - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Was Okocha A World Class Player (1131 Views)

Making NPFL A World Class League; A Masterplan (1) / Jay-jay Okocha Returns To Football With English Club / Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Okocha A World Class Player by Nobody: 10:46pm On Dec 19, 2013
I was going through brilla FM face book page, when I saw a debate on the topic.

There was a response that struck me.
Here

Some people regard this guy as world class. From a footballing point of view, with all due respect, he's not world class, albeit he's talented and had some magical moments of his. 1. He's playing to the gallery. 2. Lacked the instinctive quality of a play maker - which his teammate Sunday Oliseh really possessed as could be recalled or seen in the Tunisia '94 final between Nigeria and Zambia, Ghana/Nigeria 2000 quarter final match between Nigeria and Senegal, just to mention a few. He was busy enjoying himself and entertaining his fans who knew nothing about what's required to win a game other applauding a player who's more or less individualistic; it's Oliseh who gave the assists that turned around Nigeria's fortune in those games. Kanu was undoubtedly a world class player if you really care to know. 3. Okocha lacked the efficiency of a playmaker which can be found in Xavi, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Messi, who's naturally a play maker, etc. So before you start considering Jay Jay as world class try and compare his playmaker instincts with those of the these players mentioned above. Ask yourself why he never won any individual accolade other than the BBC Africa player of the year award which is determined football novice listeners who're driven by sentiment and no big club wanted him and his spell at PSG was a fiasco. By the way I remember that Jay Jay was the only Nigerian player or Nigerian who enjoyed the round of 16 match between Nigeria and Denmark at France '98; don't ask me why. Go get the video clip and see for yourself. I've got a thousand and one reasons to make a case here, but I think these ones suffice it.

I quite agree with this response.

What do you think??
Re: Was Okocha A World Class Player by AbuMikey(m): 11:36pm On Dec 19, 2013
Re: Was Okocha A World Class Player by omar22(m): 10:12am On Dec 20, 2013
He is very good player but not world class
Re: Was Okocha A World Class Player by ednut1(m): 10:15am On Dec 20, 2013
skillfull average player
Re: Was Okocha A World Class Player by Nobody: 10:55am On Dec 20, 2013
In all fairness, the guy was just an entertainer.
Re: Was Okocha A World Class Player by Tomoarika(m): 12:31pm On Dec 20, 2013
Indeed an entertainer.
Fantastic talent but not world class.

(Reminds me of Quaresma)
Re: Was Okocha A World Class Player by striker9(m): 2:35pm On Dec 20, 2013
Okocha is talented,but not world class.Oruma was more hard working on the field of play.

(1) (Reply)

English Premier League Highest Goal Scorers Since '92 / Meet Asia’s Fastest Man Who Is A Nigerian / Fa Reverse Arsenal's Gabriel 3 Match Ban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.