Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,249 members, 7,780,517 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:46 PM

I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan (39169 Views)

Nass: Southwest Apc ‘ll Not Recognise Saraki, Dogara —state Chairmen / I Never Said I’ll Not Contest Second Term, Says Jonathan / I‘ll Not Contest In 2015 – Jonathan (2011) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Abagworo(m): 11:00pm On Dec 19, 2013
I‘ll not contest 2015 election – Jonathan

on february 01, 2011 at 1:41 am in news
BY DANIEL       IDONOR

ANKARA, TURKEY — President Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday, said he has no ambition to stay in office beyond 2015, assuring Nigerians in Diaspora that while he will not contest the 2015 election, he will ensure that this year’s election is free and fair.
The President promised that if voted in for the next four years, he would ensure significant improvement in key sectors of the economy — security, power, education, road, health amongst others.
“Without security, there is no government. So it is not debatable, it is something we have to addressed and we are working towards that with vigour. But if I’m voted into power within the next four years, the issue of power will become a thing of the past. Four years is enough for anyone in power to make significant improvement and if I can’t improve on power within this period, it then means I cannot do anything even if I am there for the next four years.”
Jonathan said this while interacting with Nigerians mainly diplomats working in the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, UNECA, and the African Union, AU, in Addis-Ababa.
While fielding questions from those present at the interactive session on whether Nigerians abroad will vote, Jonathan said: “I would have loved that the Nigerians in Diaspora vote this year but to be frank with you, that is going to be difficult now. Presently, the law does not allow the voting outside Nigeria and so this year Nigerians in Diaspora will not vote but I will work towards it by 2015 even though I will not be running for election.”
On the issue of security, Jonathan said the government was doing everything possible to arrest the situation. He disclosed that all those involved in the October 1 bombing had been arrested and were being prosecuted. He, however, said he ordered the release of the car dealers because they were just businessmen who could not have known that the vehicles were to be used for such heinous crime.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/02/i-ll-not-contest-2015-election-jonathan/

https://www.facebook.com/notes/nigeriansfornigeriaorg/ill-not-contest-2015-election-jonathan/496922675810?_rdr

2 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by LadyH(f): 11:03pm On Dec 19, 2013
hmmmm
Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by deeptechcool(m): 11:03pm On Dec 19, 2013
Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Nobody: 11:06pm On Dec 19, 2013
That was meant to be a joke. We shouldn't take him serious. He was high on Otueke ogogoro when he made that statement - Reuben Abati. angry

51 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by sluggers: 11:06pm On Dec 19, 2013
Jonathan cannot be trusted. He needs to admit he said this before he gains the trust of Nigerians again. There is nothing wrong contesting for second term but you should fulfill your promises and let the country knows if you change your mind. Simple as ABC........

12 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by aljharem(m): 11:19pm On Dec 19, 2013
Forget it, this is a very bad man
Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by deeptesting(m): 11:22pm On Dec 19, 2013
sluggers: Jonathan cannot be trusted. He needs to admit he said this before he gains the trust of Nigerians again. There is nothing wrong contesting for second term but you should fulfill your promises and let the country knows if you change your mind. Simple as ABC........

The question is "did he win the trust of Nigerians on the basis that he will not contest the 2015 election"? Please I join you to request that he fulfills his promises to Nigerians first....2015 is a long thing, those who have lost confidence in him and loosing grip of the party should not drag Nigerians into an unnecessary issue...I have been running my Generator all day,I want stable power supply which was part of his electoral promises.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by najoke: 11:23pm On Dec 19, 2013
LAIR......LAIR!!!
Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Segunbills(m): 11:26pm On Dec 19, 2013
May the almighty bless the president of the federal republic of nigeria. Amen.

29 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by jmaine: 11:28pm On Dec 19, 2013
. . . . Old and futile stunts . . . .Meet GEJ at the polls and prove your might. Shikena

97 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Adamskuty(m): 11:35pm On Dec 19, 2013
grin
Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by sluggers: 11:40pm On Dec 19, 2013
jmaine: . . . . Old and futile stunts . . . .Meet GEJ at the polls and prove your might. Shikena

98 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by DerideGull(m): 11:52pm On Dec 19, 2013
@OP

I say shame on the poster of this old news. Was GEJ on oath when the alleged statement accredited to him was made? It is silly to equate “I have no ambition to stay in office beyond 2015 to “I shall not contest election in 2015”.

15 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Oduduwaisreal(m): 11:55pm On Dec 19, 2013
DerideGull: @OP

I say shame on the poster of this old news. Was GEJ on oath when the alleged statement accredited to him was made? It is silly to equate “I have no ambition to stay in office beyond 2015 to “I shall not contest election in 2015”.
So you cannot decipher the meaning of "I will not be running in the election"?
SMH at this okrika people

46 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Nobody: 12:00am On Dec 20, 2013
berem: That was meant to be a joke. We shouldn't take him serious. He was high on Otueke ogogoro when he made that statement - Reuben Abati. angry
What has Otuoke got to do with this? Do you hate him for his "incompetence" or his tribe?

10 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by DerideGull(m): 12:05am On Dec 20, 2013
Oduduwaisreal:

The writer of the article did not follow through to the context. Did you read the part that states "Even though I will not be running in the election".

1 Like

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Nobody: 12:11am On Dec 20, 2013
Oduduwaisreal:
Wetin do Okrika people? Id*ot

1 Like

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Oduduwaisreal(m): 12:12am On Dec 20, 2013
DerideGull:

The writer of the article did not follow through to the context. Did you read the part that states "Even though I will not be running in the election".
What are you talking about?
You can use Google translator to translate it to igbo

12 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Nobody: 12:25am On Dec 20, 2013
Oduduwaisreal:

M ga na-arụ ọrụ n'ebe ọ na 2015 bụ ezie na m na-agaghị na-agba ọsọ n'ihi na nhoputa ndi ochichi cheesy

3 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by duni04(m): 12:29am On Dec 20, 2013
I'm not a GEJ adherent but this idea of digging up old newspaper clippings to discredit somebody is just lame. The guy was answering questions from reporters, and not testifying before a court or the senate. You can't equate someone changing his mind about his political ambitions to treachery or dishonesty, its just lame. While campaigning for president, George W. Bush Snr famously promised not to increase taxes and did immediately he got in. Obama promised to close the guantanemo bay while campaigning in 2008, its still open today. As long as Jonathan's statement was not made before a court of law or the senate, like in the case of Bill Clinton who lied to a US grand jury about his affair with Monica lewinsky, nobody can accuse Jonathan of anything. He's a human being, he has the right to change his mind as he deems fit.

65 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by duni04(m): 12:38am On Dec 20, 2013
Oduduwaisreal:
lol...you're wicked o grin
Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Nobody: 12:41am On Dec 20, 2013
news is dated February 2011
Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Coolboi05(m): 12:51am On Dec 20, 2013
duni04: I'm not a GEJ adherent but this idea of digging up old newspaper clippings to discredit somebody is just lame. The guy was answering questions from reporters, and not testifying before a court or the senate. You can't equate someone changing his mind about his political ambitions to treachery or dishonesty, its just lame. While campaigning for president, George W. Bush Snr famously promised not to increase taxes and did immediately he got in. Obama promised to close the guantanemo bay while campaigning in 2008, its still open today. As long as Jonathan's statement was not made before a court of law or the senate, like in the case of Bill Clinton who lied to a US grand jury about his affair with Monica lewinsky, nobody can accuse Jonathan of anything. He's a human being, he has the right to change his mind as he deems fit.
sir nobody is saying there is problem with him changing his mind but denying knowledfe of saying it!!He can admit he said it and later changed his mind nobody can stop him but the likes of Abati and Gulak won't let him

7 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by TechWalker007: 12:54am On Dec 20, 2013
[size=14pt]Wetin concern agbero with overload?

What has GEJ contesting under PDP got to do with APC e-rats?[/size][size=14pt]

15 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by tchigofigo(m): 1:01am On Dec 20, 2013
well, he said it.,at d time he meant it..,bt he is entitled 2 change.,only God does nt change..y is dis stil an issue sef? anybdy dt wants to contest shld prepare n meet im at d polls.,scared shits!!!

15 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Slizbeat(m): 1:11am On Dec 20, 2013
Lemme give you guys a little something to feast on...

OBJ said so in 1999 when Abdulsalami met him....he said "No" but later agreed to just 1 term. What happened next He wanted a 3rd time, not even say a 2nd was OK for him.

Fashola said so in 2007.....his words were(Not distinct) "Coming for a second term is done by politicians who failed their first time and it means repeating of Class. Am not going to repeat my own Class". What happened next??.....He is currently on a second term. Why did you come back?? Answer- "The people wanted me back". So because your teachers wanted you back in Jss1, you had to repeat?? Idonthinkso.

End point- As long as Jonathan is constitutionally Qualified to rerun for 2015, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that whether he did well or not.....leave that to the Polls...Shikena.

77 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Nobody: 1:58am On Dec 20, 2013
Constitutionally he has right to contest,but why are African leaders always power drunk,that in glaring opposition,and inefficiency still clinch to power at all cost. Madiba remains the greatest man ever was in present Africa because despite all temptation,he left the stage when ovation was loudest. Am not against his contesting,but a real man should be taken for his words.

5 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by DerideGull(m): 1:59am On Dec 20, 2013
Oduduwaisreal:

There is no doubt you were born and raised in Nigeria. Now let us I assume in ANKARA, TURKEY about 2011 that GEJ in a meeting with Nigerians in Diaspora said “by 2015 even though I will not be running for election’’. Was the alleged statement made under oath? Did the statement negate or replace GEJ’s constitutional mandate for a second term? Is GEJ not humanly entitled to change his mind?

11 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Kairoseki77: 2:27am On Dec 20, 2013
DerideGull:

There is no doubt you were born and raised in Nigeria. Now let us I assume in ANKARA, TURKEY about 2011 that GEJ in a meeting with Nigerians in Diaspora said “by 2015 even though I will not be running for election’’. Was the alleged statement made under oath? Did statement negate or replace GEJ’s constitutional mandate for a second term? Is GEJ not humanly entitled to change his mind?

Give it a rest!

It's obvious that he lied about not running for second term.

Politicians lie all the time. If you want to know if a politician is lying, just look to see if their mouth is moving.
Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by pazienza(m): 2:49am On Dec 20, 2013
Choi! my heart skipped a beat, when i saw this thread, i thought GEJ said this yesterday, choi! Good to know it was but an old news.

Anybody that wants to defeat GEJ must be prepared to do that at the polls, all this attempt to cow him to surrender his 2015 presidential ambition is quite pathetic.

28 Likes

Re: I‘ll Not Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Nobody: 3:25am On Dec 20, 2013
[size=20pt]APC E-DIOTS THIS IS 2011 NEWS. STOP FIGHTING GEJ AND BE PATIENT UNTIL THE NEXT ELECTION. HABA!!! THE DESPERATION IS OBVIOUS.[/size]

35 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Rivers PDP 'Congratulates' Amaechi For Losing APC's VP Slot. / Igbo Traditional Rulers Kneel Down In Abuja To Pray For Nnamdi Kanu's Release / Michael Ade-Ojo: Fashola Commissions 6-km Road Constructed By Billionaire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.