Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,890 members, 7,806,584 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:39 PM

Cost To Build Your Own House - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Cost To Build Your Own House (28908 Views)

Ambode Introduces Rent-to-own House Policy In Lagos / Architectural Designs For Nairalanders Who Want To Build / Build Your Own House In Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost To Build Your Own House by Nobody: 3:57pm On Dec 30, 2013
Chekitaut: Certified Building Supervisor or better still Engineer abi no be so? No 2 Strong woman i can see on NLd. weldone Ma'am

and who is the number one woman on NL?
Re: Cost To Build Your Own House by mufutau55(m): 4:01pm On Dec 30, 2013
Chekitaut: Certified Building Supervisor or better still Engineer abi no be so? No 2 Strong woman i can see on NLd. weldone Ma'am

Did you say Number 2? Who is the Number 1? Chekitaut, cough it out!

Hajji Mufutau
Re: Cost To Build Your Own House by gabbytabby: 4:23pm On Dec 30, 2013
mufutau55:

Yes, I will never get tired of reading your post. My 419's are my family members, and they are the one that setback my Naija real estate affairs. But all in all, we have to thank God. I am afraid of everything in Naija, especially if you left for so many years as I did. Thanks GabbyTabby.

Hajji Mufutau

Most of my immediate family are abroad such that I have found my extended family that I tried to use to be 419's as well. Lucky for me, it became apparent to me very early on (I was on ground) and I did not loose too much. I went back, took the opportunity to re-organise myself such that I can take time out and get things done myself (my oga has a willing house-wife grin grin and PA with conditions attached).

I have been away from 9ja since the late eighties as well. On returning to 9ja, I learnt very fast cos if I look back on my first project, It will cost me about 1/3 of what it actually cost me to do it if I did it myself. Provided you learn from it then its the cost of your experience.
Re: Cost To Build Your Own House by gabbytabby: 4:28pm On Dec 30, 2013

Strong ke. I am a simple house-wife with cuddly tiger tendencies grin grin
Re: Cost To Build Your Own House by gabbytabby: 5:09pm On Dec 30, 2013
mufutau55:

Did you say Number 2? Who is the Number 1? Chekitaut, cough it out!

Hajji Mufutau

I think he mentioned one iron lady before. I think chekitaut mentioned username -Flekky07 or something like that.
Re: Cost To Build Your Own House by mufutau55(m): 5:34pm On Dec 30, 2013
gabbytabby:

I think he mentioned one iron lady before. I think chekitaut mentioned username -Flekky07 or something like that.

Don't know about her, never even seen her post.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: Cost To Build Your Own House by mufutau55(m): 5:38pm On Dec 30, 2013
gabbytabby:

Most of my immediate family are abroad such that I have found my extended family that I tried to use to be 419's as well. Lucky for me, it became apparent to me very early on (I was on ground) and I did not loose too much. I went back, took the opportunity to re-organise myself such that I can take time out and get things done myself (my oga has a willing house-wife grin grin and PA with conditions attached).

I have been away from 9ja since the late eighties as well. On returning to 9ja, I learnt very fast cos if I look back on my first project, It will cost me about 1/3 of what it actually cost me to do it if I did it myself. Provided you learn from it then its the cost of your experience.

That is quite right.. learning process.. I have been here from the early 70's and my first coming back was in mid 80's, by then they have chop my money tired, when I came there is nothing to show for it.. so I also regroup and abandoned everyone of them. Some friends help me pass my family members. We all Learn and live.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: Cost To Build Your Own House by gabbytabby: 7:27pm On Dec 30, 2013
eagle,eye:

I will like to carve out a two bedroom ensuite from a structure that was meant for garage before. We no longer used it as such.
What extimate can you give me?
I believe I am not starting from foundation.

You need to direct your enquiry to the builders in the house. They are better placed to answer your question.

1 Like

Re: Cost To Build Your Own House by Chekitaut: 10:17pm On Dec 30, 2013
segzy14:

and who is the number one woman on NL?
"Am not rating" i mean 2nd woman with love for building...I love your passion to it. well done Ma'am
Re: Cost To Build Your Own House by Chekitaut: 10:20pm On Dec 30, 2013
mufutau55:

Don't know about her, never even seen her post.

Hajji Mufutau
someday i will post her building projects under her strict supervision.
Re: Cost To Build Your Own House by Nobody: 10:49pm On Dec 30, 2013
Chekitaut: "Am not rating" i mean 2nd woman with love for building...I love your passion to it. well done Ma'am

ok
Re: Cost To Build Your Own House by yosmen: 1:00pm On Jan 01, 2014
....COMING SOON....
A step by step work progress of a residential duplex done last year...
Re: Cost To Build Your Own House by Missktinz: 3:01am On Jan 02, 2014
gabbytabby:

Critical factors that made this possible

1) I was living on site it was easy to supervise and correct deviations before they become a problem.
2) It was not my first project such that I had a good idea what things should cost.
3) I also had contact details of a majority of my suppliers such that I can call them to check price before I set off
4) I had demonstrated integrity in my dealing with my workers and suppliers such that even when I am not on site and something is needed I can say go and collect or ask the supplier to deliver such that people are not waiting around. Workers will also just get on with work knowing I will pay and be fair.
5) I knew where to source most of the things I needed from.
6) I had a good relationship with people in the neighbourhood and if a local worker that is incompetent comes into my compound I will get a call warning me of this fact almost straightaway or if something fishy is going on, I get to know pretty quickly.
7) I cooked for all the people staying overnight every night and provided a place for them to stay so that they are able to reserve energy for the work the next day instead of battling traffic problems.
cool I was very careful in choosing my contractors such that if for example a contractor quotes 200k for a job that should cost 50k, I would not use him even if he later agrees to do it for 45k cos from experience they dont tend to do a good job and spend a lot of time looking to steal or play games by hoping to get more money or they later abandon the project or I abandon them. I will rather go for one who say 60k to 80k and we negotiate and I know that I might end up paying 80k or look for additonal work to help him make the 80k if possible.
9) As a woman, there are those that object to being supervised by a woman or someone they think they are older than (some dont even realise that I am older than them and they start to wonder when my brothers come round and in their 4x4 still they show yoruba respect ) and most of them are easy to spot cos you call them to give you a quote and they are giving the quote and explanation to the bricklayer or another male worker around and some go as far as say you wont understand the cock and bull they are trying to explain.
10) Very few things have a fixed price in 9ja they just look at you and try to figure out how much they can get away with. My cloth of choice when shopping is my ankara and even then, I will drive past and walk back to the place I am actually going to and price the stuff. You would not believe how many places I have gone back the same day or next and as soon as they see you in the car they quote a higher price and I have to say we have already concluded the bargaining. 9ja na war front you have to figure out what works for you so cunnyman die cunnyman bury am oh. Often times they will also not give you your complete quantity that you paid for or switch the quality.

Wooooooow!

Like Hajji Mufutau said, I would definitely want to be like you when I grow up!
Re: Cost To Build Your Own House by yosmen: 2:20pm On Jan 02, 2014
For those expecting pictures of life projects,
here is a 5 bedroom duplex, all rooms in suite
2 family lounge
gym and bar
swimming pool
1 office.

we shall be seeing updates of the work progress.....
i have not done the 3-dimensional view

thanks

Re: Cost To Build Your Own House by kolamilan(m): 3:02pm On Jan 02, 2014
mufutau55: ^^^^
Ms. GabbyTabby, I have to say you are very good, and I have been following a lot of your posts, you deserve my respect. I learnt a lot form that post above. "I want to be like you when I grow up."
How I wish my wife was like you, I am a westernized man (being in diaspora for many decades) and needed the input of my wife sometimes in everything I do, but I have a typical Naija woman when thinks the "Man of the House" should make every decision and this piss-me-up sometimes.. so any decision I make I have to make it for both of us which is not easy trying to read mind of what she will like, but I have got used to that now..
I showed your message to my wife just to prove my point; she just rolled her eyes and said "Go marry her", but then you know Naija wives..Thank you for that analytical post.

Hajji Mufutau
lol at Go marry her
Re: Cost To Build Your Own House by yosmen: 6:15pm On Jan 07, 2014
setting out of the foundation on site

Re: Cost To Build Your Own House by Chekitaut: 10:52am On Oct 30, 2014
Our offer of free 30tons Dust still available get yours now...

Buy 120tons get 30tons free. Building made EASY.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? / The Making Of The "4 Bedrooms Contemporary Style Duplex" (2 units) In Anambra / Lady Poses In Front Of Her Flooded House In Benue State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.