Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,034 members, 7,803,477 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:35 PM

Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? (14019 Views)

Car With 3 Tyres Spotted In Sango Ogun State. Photos And Video / ASWMA Vehicle Spotted With Two Of Its Tyres Missing (photos) / PHOTO: Fully Loaded Cement Truck Spotted Cruising At Lekki With Tyres Missing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Finestlex(m): 5:28pm On Dec 21, 2013
Lexusgs430:

Size 18 alloys wheels will kill fuel economy ? What about the beauty the 18' alloys adds to the feet of the vehicle? I run 220/40/18 on the rear (both sides I hasten to add) and 215/35/18 on both front. Makes the ride @ high speed more stable !!!!!
The deep dish 18' split alloys always tempts me to wash them and bring out the shine, forget fuel economy and look beautiful !!!!!
rim is rim and has nothing to do with fuel consumption.. I guess your car is an SUV.. it's only the 16rim tyre that you need to change to 18 along with the tyre. *I run 220/40/18* no tyre number is 220. I suppose you wanted to say 235 or 225 or 245, 255 Etc. my parents deal on tyres before I was born till date so I know everything in Case you got more questions
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Onyenna(m): 5:29pm On Dec 21, 2013
icemann:

You think everyone here is a university student wallowing at home cos of ASUU strike? You need to understand nigerians from all over the world with Education from Top engineering schools post here. Trac, Sultan,siena, zim, Ikenna, car doc, Nissan parts and so may others i forgot to mention [/b] are people who know the stuff and i give them the respect.[b] You my friend need to find your level

I respect your opinion/view.....I never said I knew everything but the manner with which you replied my post was rather HARSH!....i wish I can actually meet you one-on-one and show you things you never knew about tyres....... Like I said earlier, I don't know everything but my knowledge about tyres is quite amazing.....Peace bro.....

1 Like

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Onyenna(m): 5:31pm On Dec 21, 2013
Finestlex: rim is rim and has nothing to do with fuel consumption.. I guess your car is an SUV.. it's only the 16rim tyre that you need to change to 18 along with the tyre. *I run 220/40/18* no tyre number is 220. I suppose you wanted to say 235 or 225 or 245 or 255.. my parents deal on tyres before I was born till date so I know everything in Case you got more questions

DMP!!! You're here already.....xup bro?
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Finestlex(m): 5:34pm On Dec 21, 2013
Onyenna:

235-50-18 and 245-50-18 will have same height..the only difference is the width(ie 235 & 245)...255-40-18 will still be of same height but shorter-stomach-area(by the side) and it will probably have the largest width compared to 235 and 245...they all have a difference of 10(width-wise) ie 235,245 and 255...... Summary: they all have same height which means your car is Balanced..... You're not in any Danger sir.....
I salute your wisdom... you know about tyres.. seems you deal on tyres.. I do
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 21, 2013
Finestlex: rim is rim and has nothing to do with fuel consumption.. I guess your car is an SUV.. it's only the 16rim tyre that you need to change to 18 along with the tyre. *I run 220/40/18* no tyre number is 220. I suppose you wanted to say 235 or 225 or 245 or 255.. my parents deal on tyres before I was born till date so I know everything in Case you got more questions

You smack of ignorance. How can you just come online and display your ignorance its a shame Your parents sold tyres before you were born yet you you really don't know what tyres is all about.
Tyre rims height, diameter, weight, width etc is directly proportional to MPG. Why didn't the car manufacturers who know much about their product after subjection their products to batteries of test just write "rim is rim and has nothing to do with fuel consumption..."?

2 Likes

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Finestlex(m): 5:54pm On Dec 21, 2013
lomomike:

You smack of ignorance. How can you just come online and display your ignorance its a shame Your parents sold tyres before you were born yet you you really don't know what tyres is all about.
Tyre rims height, diameter, weight, width etc is directly proportional to MPG. Why didn't the car manufacturers who know much about their product after subjection their products to batteries of test just write "rim is rim and has nothing to do with fuel consumption..."?
hehehehehe... when I said rim is rim, I meant 18rims.. as the thread dude created.. was trying to correct a brother who said the folk needs to get four new 18rims when he already has 3. Fuel consumption has to do with engine and not tyres. You need to grow up..

1 Like

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Dec 21, 2013
Finestlex: hehehehehe... when I said rim is rim, I meant 18rims.. as the thread dude created.. was trying to correct a brother who said the folk needs to get four new 18rims when he already has 3. Fuel consumption has to do with engine and not tyres. You need to grow up..
Keep deceiving yourself. Why don't you put keke napep tyres and rim in your car or Mack liner tyres in your car and tell me the impact on your MPG? Go and study more and stop being ignorant. I won't reply you again you're ignorant and arrogant

1 Like

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by baaliyah(m): 6:27pm On Dec 21, 2013
Whenever I see ' CAR TALK' topics on the front page I expect funny responses. This section is for experienced car gurus and humble people who want to learn new things.

3 Likes

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by abatically(m): 6:31pm On Dec 21, 2013
Finestlex: hehehehehe... when I said rim is rim, I meant 18rims.. as the thread dude created.. was trying to correct a brother who said the folk needs to get four new 18rims when he already has 3. Fuel consumption has to do with engine and not tyres. You need to grow up..

Ha ha ha... u really need to do ur research very well dude. Tyre size has a lot to do with fuel consumption. Deviate too much from the recommended size and watch ur mpg go down drastically. But I don't blame u from being ignorant, lots of vulcanizers and tyre dealers don't know this. Also using 18" rim doesn't necessarily mean the car will be higher, it depends on the aspect ratio. A 15" rim tyre can make a car higher than some 18" tyres.

2 Likes

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by femi9naija(m): 6:36pm On Dec 21, 2013
MD-CEO:

Actually, when i browsed it, i found that the second set of figures, thats the '50' or '40' is not an absolute statement of the height of the tyre. Rather, it is a percentage of the width of the tires. Thus the 50 actually means 50% of the width (thats 50% of 235 or245).
So if thats the case, then the tire width will determine the height even if they are both size 50 for the middle pair of figures.
The width of a tire doesn't determine it's height. It's more like saying the broader your table, the taller.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Dec 21, 2013
Mis-matched tyres is not good for any car. At most, no more than two tyre sizes, and both should be on the same axle.

The tyre sizes are too big, as in the profile. To run 18's, you're looking at:

225/35x18
235/40x18

This is for a stock Nissan Altima, with standard suspension and wheel arches.

Moving from 16's to 18's will increase the overall gearing, so 4th gear will be more like 5th. This means:

Your engine will labour in dense traffic, and use more fuel.
Your engine will run at 70 mph on the highway, but at lower rpm, and use less fuel.

Choice of rim size will depend on how much aesthetics appeal to you over gas mileage, and if gas mileage is a consideration, where you do most of your driving - city or highway.

2 Likes

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Dec 21, 2013

Wheels with a larger diameter will require more energy to rotate them.

Wider wheels create more drag, and will require more energy to keep them rotating at speeds over 70 mph.

Fuel has to be burnt to provide energy. Yet you state wheel size has NOTHING to do with fuel consumption?

4 Likes

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Dec 21, 2013
abatically: Also using 18" rim doesn't necessarily mean the car will be higher, it depends on the aspect ratio. A 15" rim tyre can make a car higher than some 18" tyres.

You are 100% correct.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Dec 21, 2013
femi9naija: The width of a tire doesn't determine it's height. It's more like saying the broader your table, the taller.

Since the aspect ratio IS a percentage of the width, the width of a tyre WILL determine its height.

a) 215/55x16.
b) 205/70x16.

Which tyre will be taller?

And just so you know, since the height of a table is NOT a percentage of its width, that analogy of yours has no place here.

1 Like

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Onyenna(m): 7:21pm On Dec 21, 2013
femi9naija:
The width of a tire doesn't determine it's height. It's more like saying the broader your table, the taller.

You're good
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Onyenna(m): 7:25pm On Dec 21, 2013
a) 195/65x14.
b) 185/80x14.
Which is higher?
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Dec 21, 2013
Onyenna:

a) 195/70x14.
b) 185/80x14.

Which is higher?

You need to direct this question to Femi9naija, who reckons a tyre's width does NOT determine its height. I already know it does, so I won't be providing a response to your question.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Kashif(m): 7:53pm On Dec 21, 2013
Siena is getting me a little confused. If you install a tire with wider rim (diameter), shorter walls, same width and achieve same installed diameter, does it affect economy? I was thinking the torque is transferred to the overall assembly, not just the rims.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Dec 21, 2013
Kashif: Siena is getting me a little confused. If you install a tire with wider rim (diameter), shorter walls, same width and achieve same installed diameter, does it affect economy? I was thinking the torque is transferred to the overall assembly, not just the rims.

You'll need to be clearer in your query, bro. If you read your post again, you'll find you're getting your dimensions mixed up.

Width is NOT diameter.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Onyenna(m): 8:18pm On Dec 21, 2013
There is a very BIG difference between 185/80x14 and 195/65x14 in terms of height.....185/80x14 is higher than 195/65x14....the difference is MUCH! So to answer your question; Siena, a tyre's width does NOT in any way determine it's height.......
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Dec 21, 2013
Onyenna: There is a very BIG difference between 185/80x14 and 195/65x14 in terms of height.....185/80x14 is higher than 195/65x14....the difference is MUCH! So to answer your question; Siena, a tyre's width does NOT in any way determine it's height.......

You're not getting it, are you?

The aspect ratio IS a percentage of the width. The width is in mm, the aspect ratio is in %.
Remove, or alter the tyre's width value, and the height WILL change! So how can you state the tyre's width does not in any way determine the height?

I honestly can't see what's so difficult to comprehend.

1 Like

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Kashif(m): 8:48pm On Dec 21, 2013
Siena:

You'll need to be clearer in your query, bro. If you read your post again, you'll find you're getting your dimensions mixed up.

Width is NOT diameter.

I know width is not diameter, I used it for a layman's clarity. To drive my variable home, maybe I should use 'circumference'. Keeping the tyre width and circumference constant, would economy be affected by installing wider rim? (assuming rim weight is negligible). Of course the side wall will be shorter.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Dec 21, 2013
So safe is relative.

At the minimum I would ensure that at least the driving wheels are of the same size.

If funds allow for it, getting all 4 tires to be of same size should be paramount.

Good luck and be safe out there.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by manny4life(m): 12:04am On Dec 22, 2013
Let me share my testimony

Previously I drove my suv with two different tires at the rear, and I was wondering why my gas consumption was really inefficient, I came onto NL and did a few research, and like Siena and company explained (may God continue to bless and enrich them with wisdom, amen), how wrong tires somehow affect your gas mileage and more so dangerous, they explained it does save gas. So what did I do? I plugged the math immediately... Replacing both tires will cost me $290 and will last for about four years or more OR 70,000 miles. I deducted 20k and estimated both at 50k miles each = 100k miles for both, the cost/mile was $0.0029/mile vs $.24cent/mile potential savings. The difference was CLEAR. Well guess what, I anticipated to gain an extra mpg, but I was SHOCKED, I gained about 3mpg. That translated into more savings vs the cost... I DON'T regret spending that $300.00

What's the essence of my long story, I'm not an auto technician or engineer and cannot give you advice on the subject matter, but I'm a witness, if you want to save on your gas, abeg change your tires.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by kachiz(m): 12:26am On Dec 22, 2013
MOTOR MIXTURE
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Raypawer(m): 12:34am On Dec 22, 2013
ur on point!
Lexusgs430:

Size 18 alloys wheels will kill fuel economy ? What about the beauty the 18' alloys adds to the feet of the vehicle? I run 225/40/18 on the rear (both sides I hasten to add) and 215/35/18 on both front. Makes the ride @ high speed more stable !!!!!
The deep dish 18' split alloys always tempts me to wash them and bring out the shine, forget fuel economy and look beautiful !!!!!
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Originalsly: 4:01am On Dec 22, 2013
Layman here...correct me if I'm wrong. The first number number (225)tells the width of the tyre...second number (50) tells the height of the tyre wall(between road and rim)...and the third number tells the diameter of the rim the tyre will fit. If the rims are the same.size...the middle tyre number will determine height and not the first number. About tyre size and fuel economy...motor bike wheel or car wheel...same circumference...which is easier to hand roll?...why? The car wheel will need more energy to roll...narrow tyres on a car will require less energy than wider tyres...more tyre in contact with the road...more resistance/drag...more energy to move. @topic...OP...heavier wheels I think will put more stress on shocks, struts etc...drive axle...everything. Different tyres...try driving and let go of the steering wheel...I bet my life the car will vo off to the rigjt or left...never straigjt. My five cents!
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by luckyman1010(m): 8:10am On Dec 22, 2013
MD-CEO:
I just got a registered Nissan Altima 2003 a few days ago.
Today I noticed that one of the the tyres (drivers side front tyre) went flat and is completely bad. I changed it to the spare and decided to look closely at all the other tyres.
To my amazement, i found that all the other 3 remaining tyres had different sizes.
The sizes are-
235-50-18
245-50-18
255-40-18.

Meanwhile, i checked the car user manual i downloaded online, and found that the recommended tyre size was 205-65-R16.

Is there any immediate danger in driving them as they are now?
I'm asking because i'm really hard pressed for cash this Christmas season with so many other things to do simultaneously. I'll prefer deferring changing all 4 tyres till sometime in January when there'll be more cash liquidity for me.
For now, i can only really afford to buy one tyre to replace the single one that went bad.
What size should i buy now with the multiple sizes I already have on the other 3 tyres.
What do you advise?
my brother if dat one should b d case, buy one tyer d size u c on owners manual,latter when u get money u change it all and put d one u buy as spare so all d 5 tyer will b d same.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Bilabong(m): 9:14am On Dec 22, 2013
Onyenna:

235-50-18 and 245-50-18 will have same height..the only difference is the width(ie 235 & 245)...255-40-18 will still be of same height but shorter-stomach-area(by the side) and it will probably have the largest width compared to 235 and 245...they all have a difference of 10(width-wise) ie 235,245 and 255...... Summary: they all have same height which means your car is Balanced..... You're not in any Danger sir.....
u de work for Road Safety? How on earth can u advise sumbdy to drive an unbalance car all in the name "height". Op if u drive a balance car u can drive with one hand, no fear for gallops.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by cmpunk: 9:16am On Dec 22, 2013
I need advice too. i have an Honda bullet(tiger face) that came with 185 65 14 tyre. I upgraded all the four to 195 70 14 tyre. Any pros and cons? sienna and co over to u. pls what's d standard tyre measurement .
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by BOUNTYDOG(m): 9:18am On Dec 22, 2013
True except if due to the width of the tyres,it touches the body when you turn,otherwise you are good to go,you will only be worried knowing ur tyres are different sizes,it will not. Bring out the beauty of the car.
Onyenna:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Painful Car Destruction Scene In A Movie: Share Yours / Five Habits That Can Destroy Your Car / 5 Signs That Indicates You Need Your Tyre Replaced

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.