Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:18 AM

Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? (14022 Views)

Car With 3 Tyres Spotted In Sango Ogun State. Photos And Video / ASWMA Vehicle Spotted With Two Of Its Tyres Missing (photos) / PHOTO: Fully Loaded Cement Truck Spotted Cruising At Lekki With Tyres Missing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Nobody: 10:15am On Dec 22, 2013
Onyenna: 235-50-18 and 245-50-18 will have same height..the only difference is the width(ie 235 & 245)...255-40-18 will still be of same height but shorter-stomach-area(by the side) and it will probably have the largest width compared to 235 and 245...they all have a difference of 10(width-wise) ie 235,245 and 255...... Summary: they all have same height which means your car is Balanced..... You're not in any Danger sir.....

235/50x18 - 692mm.
245/50x18 - 702mm.

Difference? 1.5% or 10mm. Yet you say these two tyres will have the same size? This is not complicated science, just simple math. 50% of 235mm is NOT the same as 50% of 245mm.

You stamp on the brakes in an emergency situation, with a car that's sitting lower on what side, what happens?

The car will pitch towards the lower side, so more weight will transfer to the tyre with a smaller circumference. The same applies if you let go of the wheel - the car will naturally favour the smaller tyre, and will drift in that direction.

You have two different size tyres on a driven axle, what happens?

The side with a smaller tyre rotates faster, so the differential works overtime, trying to correct the speed difference. If the car has ABS and traction control, the warning lights may illuminate, as the smaller tyre is rotating faster than the larger one. And covering a greater distance with EACH revolution. It's a multiplier effect.

Yet you say the car is balanced??
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by cmpunk: 10:22am On Dec 22, 2013
I need advice too. i have an Honda bullet(tiger face)
that came with 185 65 14 tyre. I upgraded all the
four to 195 70 14 tyre. Any pros and cons? sienna
and co over to u. pls what's d standard tyre
measurement .

a beg l need answers sienna and co.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by abatically(m): 10:29am On Dec 22, 2013
cmpunk: I need advice too. i have an Honda bullet(tiger face)
that came with 185 65 14 tyre. I upgraded all the
four to 195 70 14 tyre. Any pros and cons? sienna
and co over to u. pls what's d standard tyre
measurement .

a beg l need answers sienna and co.

I doubt siena knows what is Honda bullet
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Nobody: 11:58am On Dec 22, 2013
abatically:

I doubt siena knows what is Honda bullet
I think he meant Honda accord 1997-1997 european spec aka honda ascot innova
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by DECOtech(m): 12:29pm On Dec 22, 2013
MD-CEO:

Meanwhile, i checked the car user manual i downloaded online, and found that the recommended tyre size was 205-65-R16.

Is there any immediate danger in driving them as they are now?
I'm asking because I'm really hard pressed for cash this Christmas season with so many other things to do simultaneously. I'll prefer deferring changing all 4 tires till sometime in January when there'll be more cash liquidity for me.
For now, i can only really afford to buy one tyre to replace the single one that went bad.
What size should i buy now with the multiple sizes I already have on the other 3 tires.
What do you advise?

Find a 205-50-18 for the four wheels. And there is no immediate danger. the only problem you might encounter is vehicle imbalance and handling issues (that's if you are a high speed precision driver)

Take it easy while driving, don't go above 80km for now till you have the right tires. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Dec 22, 2013
DECOtech: Find a 205-50-18 for the four wheels.

I'd love to know where he'll get a 205/50x18. Never seen one, not listed on any tyre website. Doesn't meant they don't exist though, but must be rare as hen's teeth.

1 Like

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by MDCEO1: 1:13pm On Dec 22, 2013
Thank you all for your comments and expert insight.
I eventually bought 1 tyre for the driver's side that is the same size as the one on the front passenger side, so that the 2 front tyres are now the same size (235-50-18).
If I can, I'll pick up another one thats the same size as one of those at the back, so that i'll also have the 2 rear tyres being the same size, then cruise it that way for now till I can change all 4 tyres simultaneously in January.
Though even when i'm finally buying 4 tyres at once, i dont think i'll ever go back to the factory recommendations(205-65-16)......i prefer the fatter-looking tyres and bigger rims. And if its just mainly fuel that I should be bothered about for using bigger tyre and rims, I think I can cope well with that for the distance I commute daily.
Abi is there any other issue with using bigger tyres than recommended, other than fuel consumption? (provided the 4 tyres are all the same size, or at least, the same size on each axle).
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by hmiso: 1:23pm On Dec 22, 2013
timbros:

How do I calculate me MPG please? It seems my '96 Camry is guzzling fuel too much now more than before.

Help needed asap please.

Xtreme Fuel teatment is the solution. with XFT u re sure of sound engine, fuel cost friendly and less visititation of ur mechanic
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 22, 2013
hmiso:
Xtreme Fuel teatment is the solution. with XFT u re sure of sound engine, fuel cost friendly and less visititation of ur mechanic

Bad advice! Still, Christmas is just around the corner, so you're just looking to earn a crust. I get that.

So let's say this guy has an engine issue, he should "mask it" with XFT? I've been in the automobile industry for over 20 years, and till date, there's nothing that aids fuel economy better than driving style, periodic maintenance at the manufacturer's prescribed intervals and a helthy car.

The first question you should have asked this guy was:

01) Engine size of the car?
02) Transmission type?
03) Any recent repairs? If so, what was done?
04) How many miles roughly does he/she get from a full tank?
05) Has the car been scanned for DTC's?

Instead, you jumped straight in, recommending XFT! So assuming the car has a bad o2 sensor, dead MAF, CTS ets, XFT will miraculously fix it?

1 Like

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by MDCEO1: 1:39pm On Dec 22, 2013
Siena, pls did you see my last question in my comment just above yours?
I'll like to hear your thoughts.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by nitt: 3:21pm On Dec 22, 2013
Siena:

I'd love to know where he'll get a 205/50x18. Never seen one, not listed on any tyre website. Doesn't meant they don't exist though, but must be rare as hen's teeth.

Hi Siena,

Admire your work here and awed at your wealth of knowledge on cars.

Could you pls advise,

I drive a 2005 Accord auto trans 4cylinder Ex presently, the factory recommended tyre fit is - P205/60R16 but what I have fitted on all 4 tyres are P215/60R16

Q - Can I. Continue with wat I have on the car or should I reevert back to original specs pls?

Any major impact on Fuel economy or balance?.

Awaiting ur advice, thank you
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Ikenna351(m): 8:52pm On Dec 22, 2013
MD-CEO:

Abi is there any other issue with using bigger tyres than recommended, other than fuel consumption? (provided the 4 tyres are all the same size, or at least, the same size on each axle).

Aside fuel consumption, you should forget about the speedometer, because it's going to be useless. It will simply throw off the speedo. Imagine doing 80km/h, while your speedo is reading 120km/h or so. It's just like swapping in an Inline-4 Tachometer in a V6 Car. The V6 engine will simply throw off the tacho. That is, if your actual rpm at idle is 750 rpm, the I4 tacho in V6 car will be reading 1,500 rpm or even more.

Since you said the car left the show room with 205/65 R16, I wouldn't go beyond 205/60 R17 or 205/55 R17, if I were you.

Ikenna
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Ikenna351(m): 9:23pm On Dec 22, 2013
MD-CEO:
I just got a registered Nissan Altima 2003 a few days ago.

To my amazement, i found that all the other 3 remaining tyres had different sizes.
The sizes are-
235-50-18
245-50-18
255-40-18.

Is there any immediate danger in driving them as they are now?

In one of the trips i have done in my Baby, i had a blowout (long story), along Enugu-Onitsha Expressway. I got to Enugu and searched for the same size of the damaged tyre (195/60 R15), since the 4 tyres were the same size, including the spare. Unfortunately, I couldnt find 195/60 in Coal Camp, rather, 195/65. Why? Because there was more demand of high profile tyres in the East, considering the nature of the roads down there. Because i would be driving back to Abuja the next day, I had to buy the 65 available, instead of 60, since i didnt have the time to go round the town in search of the size 60. I mounted the tyre that same evening. The next day, on my way back to Abuja, It was a nightmare. Every hard braking or sharp steered of the wheel, the car would try to veer off the road. It was as if it was a different car. Did i enjoy the drive? Not even for a second. . I got to Abuja and replaced it with size 60, since low profile tyres are very much available here in Abuja. Thanks to Abuja road!

Just 1 different size tyre messed up the car stability on highspeed. In my case, it was horrible. In your case, with the 3 different sizes you listed, it will be something else.

Ikenna
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by MDCEO1: 11:42pm On Dec 22, 2013
Ikenna351:

Aside fuel consumption, you should forget about the speedometer, because it's going to be useless. It will simply throw off the speedo. Imagine doing 80km/h, while your speedo is reading 120km/h or so. It's just like swapping in an Inline-4 Tachometer in a V6 Car. The V6 engine will simply throw off the tacho. That is, if your actual rpm at idle is 750 rpm, the I4 tacho in V6 car will be reading 1,500 rpm or even more.

Since you said the car left the show room with 205/65 R16, I wouldn't go beyond 205/60 R17 or 205/55 R17, if I were you.

Ikenna

Ok, noted, thanks. But leaving bigger tyres on is not going to spoil anything serious, provided they are all of equal sizes right? Like transmission or engine tinz....
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by MDCEO1: 11:45pm On Dec 22, 2013
Ikenna351:

In one of the trips i have done in my Baby, i had a blowout (long story), along Enugu-Onitsha Expressway. I got to Enugu and searched for the same size of the damaged tyre (195/60 R15), since the 4 tyres were the same size, including the spare. Unfortunately, I couldnt find 195/60 in Coal Camp, rather, 195/65. Why? Because there was more demand of high profile tyres in the East, considering the nature of the roads down there. Because i would be driving back to Abuja the next day, I had to buy the 65 available, instead of 60, since i didnt have the time to go round the town in search of the size 60. I mounted the tyre that same evening. The next day, on my way back to Abuja, It was a nightmare. Every hard braking or sharp steered of the wheel, the car would try to veer off the road. It was as if it was a different car. Did i enjoy the drive? Not even for a second. . I got to Abuja and replaced it with size 60, since low profile tyres are very much available here in Abuja. Thanks to Abuja road!

Just 1 different size tyre messed up the car stability on highspeed. In my case, it was horrible. In your case, with the 3 different sizes you listed, it will be something else.

Ikenna
Well, since i made the 2 front tyres to be of equal size, i havent really noticed any veering off or poor handling. Maybe because i don't speed though, and I don't attempt to pull any James Bond stunts...
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Nobody: 12:56am On Dec 24, 2013
MD-CEO:
Maybe because i don't speed though, and I don't attempt to pull any James Bond stunts...

You asked for advice,which is what you got. Your comment here makes you come across as smug and conceited. I'm not saying you are, just that's the way I read it.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by nitt: 2:55pm On Dec 24, 2013
nitt:

Hi Siena,

Could you pls advise,

I drive a 2005 Accord auto trans 4cylinder Ex presently, the factory recommended tyre fit is - P205/60R16 but what I have fitted on all 4 tyres are P215/60R16

Q - Can I. Continue with wat I have on the car or should I reevert back to original specs pls?

Dnt overlook me pls
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Dec 24, 2013
nitt:

Hi Siena,

Could you pls advise,

The factory size tyres for a 2005 Honda Accord (with 16" wheels) is actually 205/55x16 or 215/55x16. Earlier cars with 15" wheels had 195/65x15 or 205/60x15.

The size you're running right now is a bit on the large side, but the effect on fuel consumption will be negligible. I would be in a rush to buy new tyres. Use them until they wear out, then replace with 205's.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by RipVanWink: 7:40pm On Dec 24, 2013
this link shud end all the arguement, enter ur tire spec and compare.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=245-75r16-250-60r18
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by nitt: 10:28pm On Dec 24, 2013
Siena:

The factory size tyres for a 2005 Honda Accord (with 16" wheels) is actually 205/55x16 or 215/55x16. Earlier cars with 15" wheels had 195/65x15 or 205/60x15.

The size you're running right now is a bit on the large side, but the effect on fuel consumption will be negligible. I would be in a rush to buy new tyres. Use them until they wear out, then replace with 205's.

Thank you Siena
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by MDCEO1: 1:30pm On Dec 25, 2013
Siena:

You asked for advice,which is what you got. Your comment here makes you come across as smug and conceited. I'm not saying you are, just that's the way I read it.
Haba Siena, that's the last thing on my mind.
Actually, among my friends, the cool guys are the guys that speed seriously on the highway and pull wonderful overtaking stunts just to prove they can do it. I stay on the opposite side of the spectrum, preferring to go slowly till I reach wherever I'm going. They usually yab me about that, saying I drive like an old man, but i don't really mind.
So its paradoxical that i would be feeling cool about driving slowly.
Definitely didnt mean anything like that, but thanks for saying your mind anyway. At least that clarifies it for other people that may have gotten the same impression.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by MDCEO1: 1:31pm On Dec 25, 2013
Meanwhile, Merry Xmas to everyone on this thread....
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by nasoj: 1:49pm On Dec 25, 2013
@ sienna,have being following ur post on different thread,keep it up with the good work.

i need your advice for the best option 215/55/16 or 205/60/16 for toyota camry 2000 CE
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by auhanson(m): 9:53pm On Dec 25, 2013
Onyenna:

235-50-18 and 245-50-18 will have same height..the only difference is the width(ie 235 & 245)...255-40-18 will still be of same height but shorter-stomach-area(by the side) and it will probably have the largest width compared to 235 and 245...they all have a difference of 10(width-wise) ie 235,245 and 255...... Summary: they all have same height which means your car is Balanced..... You're not in any Danger sir.....

just to correct a little error there, 245/40/ 18 is a little bit higher than 235/40/18, also 250/40/18 is higher than 245/40/18:because of their percentage of the width. Hence, 235/40/18 is equivalent in height to 225/45/17, 215/60/15, 205/65/15 and 245/35/18. etc. Its simple math, u can do the calculation yourself.
Yes, they may be beautiful, but you would only gain insignificant mpg on d highway but lose insignificantly too in the city.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by kenyarttar: 5:48pm On Dec 30, 2013
My "new" car's a 2001 Volkswagen Jetta, presently at the mechanics but should be released to me next week. Thanks to this thread took great curiosity in the tyres.

The original spare tyre (came with the car from factory...unused with sticker label and all) details are 205 55 16 91. Googled it and got a perfect match with RIM size advise http://www.sizemytires.com/vehicle/2001/volkswagen/jetta (I intend getting Alloy rims!) . Thank you so much everyone!

1 Like

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by MDCEO1: 5:22am On Dec 31, 2013
Ok @Kenyarttar, but i didnt really understand your post. Were you asking a question, or giving a testimony, or thanking all the experts on the thread.........or all of the above? grin
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by kenyarttar: 11:04am On Dec 31, 2013
MD-CEO:
Ok @Kenyarttar, but i didnt really understand your post. Were you asking a question, or giving a testimony, or thanking all the experts on the thread.........or all of the above? grin

The last two. Giving a testimony and thanking all the experts on the thread wink grin wink
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by MDCEO1: 6:21pm On Dec 31, 2013
Lolllzzz, ok then...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Highlights Of Autofest 2019, Hosted By BMW Club Of Nigeria (photos) / Painful Car Destruction Scene In A Movie: Share Yours / How Good Is Peugeot 206?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.