Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,887 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

How Often Do You Visit Your Village? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Often Do You Visit Your Village? (8627 Views)

When Your Boy Friend Is The Leader Of Masquerade Group In Your Village [PHOTO] / When Last Did You Visit Your Hometown / Which Village Are You From? Represent Your Village Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Alikaxon(m): 7:20pm On Dec 20, 2013
It's not funny how alot of people don't visit or don't even know their village at all. I was at my local government secretariat to visit a friend, when a teenage boy and his mother came into the office my friend was working to seek for "reference letter" he will use to obtain scholarship from shell petroleum. He was asked to speak the native language of his village/town(name witheld), to avoid tribal issues. ; he couldn't. I was suprised! But everybody else in the office was not suprised. They later explained to me that, they had encountered countless people comming to seek for local government of origin certificate, but they can't speak their native language, how can they prove they are from there?
So, this boy's mother was asked why his son can't speak the native language of the place he claim to come from. His mother explained that, he has really not visited the father's village for a long time, that he visited last when he was about 3 years old; as at when his father was alive. She stressed that, his father had died a long time ago, and they hadn't visited the place. She stated that, she wasn't from the same place(tribe) from the late husband, so she doesn't know how to speak his father's native language; so there is no way, the boy could learn it.
They had come all the way from Abuja where they reside, as she's working there too. Her reasons was quite pitiable. Trust Nigerians, she had to pay a huge sum of money to scratch the people's back before she could get what she wanted.
And I live you with this question, How often do you visit your village? How much are you acquainted with your village? No matter were you find yourself today or tomorrow, never forget your root.
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by ladionline: 7:57pm On Dec 20, 2013
Good post. I'm from Ado, in Ado-Odo/Ota LGA, Ogun state. I do frequent this place a lot! My people pride themselves as "...omo Isedale Yoruba" that's like 'history happen here" to me. That something for our archeologist. Ado folks thrives in their rustic agricultural settlement. Where are you from, @poster?
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by myOGAonTOP: 8:08pm On Dec 20, 2013
Village? Am ALREADY in my village na. Didnt someone say that "the WORLD is a global VILLAGE"?

12 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by piratedcopy(m): 8:47pm On Dec 20, 2013
why go back to village where there is no light and water. Why suffer yaself for notin. Btw shout out to the demehin's and ifect

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Afam4eva(m): 2:37pm On Dec 21, 2013
It's really not about going to the village but about knowing how to comunicate in the language and also knowing the culture. As far as i'm concerned, that boy should not qualify for the Shell scholarship. It should be given to people who can speak the language.

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by sunsky29(m): 2:38pm On Dec 21, 2013
mine hs been 8yrz 340 days ago..n stl countin.
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by jeamie(m): 2:39pm On Dec 21, 2013
Cnt even rememba wen... undecided..m on d first page..am getn there
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by DonColz1(m): 2:39pm On Dec 21, 2013
Like this post if you are planning on travelling to village this year

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Taywon: 2:40pm On Dec 21, 2013
see gobe..... hw i go ...go wen d witches and wizard are still alive

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Deekaydadon(m): 2:40pm On Dec 21, 2013
Once in 5yrs grin grin
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Seunl1: 2:40pm On Dec 21, 2013
It's nice and enlightening to know ones root (village)

But when circumstance and lack-of-privilege interfere , you have no option but to stay where you are most comfortable.

**edited**

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by ikechukz(m): 2:42pm On Dec 21, 2013
For sure na....I travel to my villa more than twice every year and would also be travelling to my villa next week.....Igbo Ukwu noni..

3 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Dec 21, 2013
I can proudly speak my language tho haven't been to my villa. Thanks to my parents. Ogwashi ukwu ill def pay homage someday.
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Tsmooth1(m): 2:43pm On Dec 21, 2013

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by begwong: 2:43pm On Dec 21, 2013
Village? I have been in d village all my life. i am currently browsing under the service providers mast near my mud house.

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Afam4eva(m): 2:44pm On Dec 21, 2013
rozzay: I can proudly speak my language tho haven't been to my villa. Thanks to my parents. Ogwashi ukwu ill def pay homage someday.
Ogini bu Afa Nairaland gi?
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by tmtech: 2:44pm On Dec 21, 2013
Av been dia twice b4......
The place is supercool, few automobiles, one filing station...fresh air, electricity,pipeborne water and insert4................when am wealthy enough, I go go build one small aus for dia.... Any holiday I go jst go spend am dia.....sooooooo peaceful........
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Pearlyakin(m): 2:46pm On Dec 21, 2013
The last time dat i visited my village was when i was 5 or 6 years,though am from oyo town,but i rep ibadan to the fullest......please how can i post topic on nairaland,my fellow nairalandite help me out...
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Dec 21, 2013
everyxmas.. 24th..loading.......
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by tiamiyukunle69(m): 2:47pm On Dec 21, 2013
Anytime I'm within reach. Especially on holidays
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by chris4gold(m): 2:47pm On Dec 21, 2013
once in a decades
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by gr3yb4ck(m): 2:47pm On Dec 21, 2013
Yaay,I dont av a village.Fwesh nigga born in V.I
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 21, 2013
myOGAonTOP: Village? Am ALREADY in my village na. Didnt someone say that "the WORLD is a global VILLAGE"?
hahahaha.. Mad man
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by noskeybaba: 2:51pm On Dec 21, 2013
Reporting live from my villa. I love the freshness of the air here. Lagos air don condemn finish grin
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by c0llynz02: 2:52pm On Dec 21, 2013
Must everyone be from a village?

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Nikapetrelli(f): 2:54pm On Dec 21, 2013
Every week almost cos from where i live just TF of 200 takes u to and fro
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Nikapetrelli(f): 2:54pm On Dec 21, 2013
Every week almost cos from where i live just TF of 200 dat takes u to and fro
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by valuka(m): 2:55pm On Dec 21, 2013
At least 3times a year.
And am based in Lagos.
Okija in Anambra State... That's where am from.

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by otijah(m): 2:57pm On Dec 21, 2013
DonColz1: Like this post if you are planning on travelling to village this year
who be this one kwanu?
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by GentleFrank(m): 2:59pm On Dec 21, 2013
Steady !
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by TTOPSON(m): 3:02pm On Dec 21, 2013
Pearlyakin: The last time dat i visited my village was when i was 5 or 6 years,though am from oyo town,but i rep ibadan to the fullest......please how can i post topic on nairaland,my fellow nairalandite help me out...
. All u need to do is click on a topic then scroll down to section depending on d title of ur post

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? / The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated / Photos Of The Day. Guys Caught Fingering Their Girlfriends In Publich......

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.