Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,783 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story -hot! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story -hot! (1191 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story (Video) / Chimamanda Adichie: The Next Nigerian Nobel Laureate In Literature? / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: The Igbo Say: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story -hot! by BloggingIq: 1:10am On Dec 21, 2013
This is definitely one of my best time well spent this year!
So glad I saw this video by one of Nigerians brightest.

Chimamanda Adichie (who I think takes on Chinua Achebe`s shoes) talks on the danger of a single story.

She went on to elaborate in the context of seeing beyond the assumptions we make about people or groups based on the labels they come with, hence the "single story" idea. This comes into play on how each region sees others, eg Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa, etc,

Without going into details, we all know the narrow conditioning we grew up with to form stereotypes, and this we do without first learning the complete story. You know the problem with stereotypes is not that they are completely baseless, but that they are incomplete. It promotes just one aspect of the people concerned, and that aspect is mostly misinformed and filled with one sided view and negativity.

Why am posting this is because when a country is diverse like Nigeria, this single story illness becomes something more, you get cultural stereotypes that is so insulting. Now we're living with the consequences of this confusion every day. Ibo man this, Yoruba woman that, and Hausa this! So vexing! This is a portrayal of our own conditioning by narrow perspectives on reality, so now, my fellow brothers and sisters engages in E-fights ( using cultural stereotypes as weapons!) on this very forum like no mans business embarassed

This is a completely wrong thing to do whether or not people realize it. In order to demonize any group of people, all you need to do is see them as one thing and that stinks. A very nice looking brouhaha if you ask me.

Please see the video, and reflect ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ihs241zeg

""Philosophers have long observed that our reality — our “truth” — is strongly influenced (if not outright determined) by one’s perspective or point of view.""
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story -hot! by Ezyp(m): 5:39am On Dec 21, 2013
she was featured in beyonce lastest album.....great speech
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story -hot! by BloggingIq: 8:06am On Dec 21, 2013
am so feeling her right now, her book - Americanah, has been named by the BBC as the top book of 2013.
cool!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story -hot! by BloggingIq: 1:46pm On Dec 21, 2013
cool

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story -hot! by tpia5: 2:11pm On Dec 22, 2013
Doesnt seem like anyone took her seriously since nothing has changed and the single story amebos are as active as ever.

(1) (Reply)

Half Of A Yellow Sun / 5 Greatest Old African Novels To Read Before You Die. / Poem:why Did You Lie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.