Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,301 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:05 AM

Pls How Can Configure Linus {red Hat} - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Pls How Can Configure Linus {red Hat} (1049 Views)

How To Auto Install & Configure Mysql Along With Dotnet Setup / Ccna, Mcitp, Red Hat: And Other Ict Technologies / Somebody Hlp, I Need How To Configure Ellisisland On Mozilla (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls How Can Configure Linus {red Hat} by salinson: 4:27pm On Aug 01, 2008
PLS HOW CAN CONFIGURE LINUS {RED HAT}
TO ANY BODY IN THE HOUSE THAT CAN HELP ME OUT OF THIS, PLS KINDLY MAIL ME TO salinson24@yahoo.com
Re: Pls How Can Configure Linus {red Hat} by uspry1(f): 3:53am On Aug 02, 2008
Go look at NL Computer Section, using either Ubuntu Linux or Ubuntu 8.04: Optimize For Speed And Performance.

I know you talk about RedHat linux, however it is same Linux command when you configure RedHat---the same concept.

Both RedHat and Ubuntu are the Debian Linux distribution---the same. Right?

Or use google.com finding RedHat forum site you will find many configurations there.
Re: Pls How Can Configure Linus {red Hat} by salinson: 9:07am On Aug 02, 2008
thanks for your reply to my request, pls what is the minimal configuration of system Linus require, cool
Re: Pls How Can Configure Linus {red Hat} by uspry1(f): 9:37pm On Aug 04, 2008
salinson:

thanks for your reply to my request, please what is the minimal configuration of system Linus require, cool

Linux OS with minimal installation will work on any oldest computer with only 128KB to 512MB RAM memory chip where customers cannot afford buying newest computer system or part upgrade/replacement unlikely Windows Vista requires 1-2 GB RAM memory chip with newer processor/CPU. (Windows Vista will not work on older pc with less than 512mb RAM memory chip).

Anyway, Linux OS will also work on newer system too. I use Windows XP professional OS and Ubuntu linux OS as dual-boot with 1GB RAM and 140GB hard disk drive to split sharing two hard disk partitions---no problem!

Therefore, you can install your RedHat Linux on your existing Windows XP or Vista that will be your dual-boot. Read my posting on "Ubuntu 8.04: Optimize For Speed And Performance "---somewhere explaining how dual-boot works.

I suggest you to download Wubi Installer software first (click here for details) before you download RedHat Linux in case of you change your mind to uninstall Linux OS later that will make your life much easier.(Wubi Installer will remove Linux partition for you automatically)

Without installing Wubi Installer, you have to follow step-by-step instruction with using your own Windows OS cd to boot with Recovery selection and fixmbr command in order to remove specified partition where Linux installed then reboot your system manually. Of course, I also provide remove Linux OS instruction on Computer section mentioned above same link (download-Wubi Installer) just scroll down for manual instruction part.

Wubi Installer will work all linux distro (Ubuntu, RedHat, Fedora, BSD, MintLinux, goes on. . .)

Remember: RedHat Linux OS will work sharing the same Linux command/kernal as well as Ubuntu Linux OS too.

Good luck exploring your new Linux user.
Re: Pls How Can Configure Linus {red Hat} by jmslimx(m): 9:32am On Aug 05, 2008
well it is easy. first if you are using a windows based machine first of all download VMware which is on the net Google it. secondly if you have a fast speed like 1mg you could download redhat Linux from so many ISO sites. Bingo write the iso in a cd or keep them in a path on your computer . Start your vmware and read the help files to get more info.
Re: Pls How Can Configure Linus {red Hat} by javaprince(m): 9:16am On Aug 06, 2008
@uspry1
Very nice contribution. But I will love to ask a question, there seems to be this inferiority complex of Debian Package Management in comparison to RPM. Can u shed more light in that? Then some applications seems to be better suited to RPM than Debian is that a fact? Am even considering my Ubuntu and installing a Fresh copy of Fedora after seeing is Wonders.
Re: Pls How Can Configure Linus {red Hat} by uspry1(f): 3:15pm On Aug 06, 2008
@javaprince

According to the wiki site, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPM_Package_Manager, RPM Package Manager (originally Red Hat Package Manager, abbreviated RPM) is a package management system. The name RPM refers to two things: a software package file format, and software packaged in this format. RPM was intended primarily for Linux distributions; the file format RPM is the baseline package format of the Linux Standard Base.

RPM-based Linux distributions are not limited to:

[list]
[li]Fedora [/li]
[li]Mandriva Linux and derivatives: [/li]
[list]
[0]AltLinux
[/list]
[li]Linux for PlayStation 2 [/li]
[li]Red Flag Linux [/li]
[li]Red Hat Enterprise Linux and derivatives:
[list]
[0]CentOS
[0]ASPLinux
[0]Scientific Linux[/list] [/li]
[li]SUSE Linux/openSUSE [/li]
[li]ArkLinux [/li]
[li]Yellow Dog Linux [/li]
[li]PLD Linux Distribution [/li]
[li]Linux XP [/li]
[li]TurboLinux[/li]
[li]PCLinuxOS [/li]
[/list]

By constrast, Ubuntu uses Synaptic Package Manager (wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaptic_Package_Manager ).

Synaptic is a computer program which is a GTK+ graphical user interface front-end to the Advanced Packaging Tool for the Debian package management system. Synaptic is usually used on systems based on deb packages but can also be used on systems based on RPM packages. It can be used to install, remove and upgrade software packages and to add repositories.

Debian-based Linux distributions are not limited to:

[list]
[li]64 Studio[/li]
[li]AbulÉdu  [/li]
[li]Alinex [/li]
[li]Baltix [Lithuanian and Latvian languages][/li]
[li]BeatrIX {Russian language][/li]
[li]Bharat Operating System Solutions {India language][/li]
[li]CubeLinux [/li]
[li]DeMuDi [multimedia production only] [/li]
[li]Dreamlinux [Brazilian (South America)][/li]
[li]eBox  [/li]
[li]Elive [/li]
[li]Feather Linux [/li]
[li]Finnix [/li]
[li]G2Linx  [/li]
[li]Gibraltar [/li]
[li]gnuLinEx [Extremadura, Spain.][/li]
[li]Kanotix [/li]
[li]Knoppix [/li]
[li]LiMux [Munich, Germany.] [/li]
[li]Linspire [/li]
[li]The Linux Router Project  [/li]
[li]Maemo [handheld devices only, come soon Ubuntu Mobile] [/li]
[li]MEPIS  [/li]
[li]NepaLinux [/li]
[li]OpenZaurus  [/li]
[li]Outernet Server [/li]
[li]PAIPIX [/li]
[li]Parsix GNU/Linux [/li]
[li]PingOO [/li]
[li]PSUbuntu [intended for the Playstation 3.][/li]
[li]Progeny Componentized Linux  [/li]
[li]Rxart  [/li]
Satux [Brazilian (South America)][/li]
[li]Skolelinux [Norway][/li]
[li]sidux [unstable Debian]  [/li]
[li]Storm Linux 2000  [/li]
[li]Symphony OS  [/li]
[li]Trisquel [Galicia, Spain][/li]
[li]Linux Tiger {Mac OS][/li]
[li]Tuquito [Argentina][/li]
[li]Ubuntu [/li]
[li]UserLinux [commercial distro only---never published][/li]
[li]Xandros Open Circulation Edition [/li]
[li]Xebian {Xbox home gaming console only] [/li]
[/list]

Basically for my answer, RPM normally uses that file format ".rpm" package while Synaptic/Debian uses that file format ".deb" also does work on ".rpm" too.

Do you aware that you can run Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop or Internet Explorer on Linux OS? Ever heard of WINE, Win4lin, Crossover, or VMware? These are all virtual machines (emulators) which make it possible to run a guest OS on a different OS. In any case, have you tried Openoffice? For me, it is much better and functional than MS Office. It even natively allows you to save your documents as .pdf not needing the expensive full adobe acrobat product. And with the new version 2.0 Abi which has an inbuilt data base program much like microsoft access, I don't even need to use MS office anymore.

See my previous postings: Can Windows applications run on Linux OS? and How Do I Know If Windows applications work running on Linux OS like Ubuntu?

Finally, check with this link: http://www.distrowatch.com/ to find 10 Top Linux distro you can trust.
Re: Pls How Can Configure Linus {red Hat} by javarules(m): 7:14pm On Aug 08, 2008
U have all spoken well, but the question is too ambigous

How can I configure Red Hat Linux? What I think is how can u install?

If it is install, then if you are a developer DO NOT INSTALL REDHAT

If you are a developer DO NOT INSTALL REDHAT just for emphasis sake

REDHAT is good for what it is good for, a server system. Also note that red-hat is not free, so if u want something similar to readhat that is free consider CentOS. These are good, very good as servers, but as developement machines, I better use something else

If you want to get down and dirty, and u dont mind losing ur data due to improper partitioning, then consider Arch Linux, but seriously,, even I dont use it on my system, I use it only on my VM to test some funky stuffs

My recommendation is d bleeding edge Fedora Linux, I have used Libranet(Debian), tasted Ubuntu(Debian), used SuSE(rpm based), used CentOS(rpm based) and now Fedora(rmp based)

I found Fedora the best of all, as a developer

If you fancy a nice UI, similar to Vista, then try SuSE 11,

How do you install? goto the website of the particular distro you want to install, they always have a detailed how-to-install

ciao

(1) (Reply)

Flask Mini Webframework / Help: How Can I Create A Good Theme Using Blueftp? / Why Was Dhtml18 Banned Today On Sunday At That? For Trollin', Gdevit Or What?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.