Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,855 members, 7,806,417 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - (25464 Views)

Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa / Obama's Trip To Africa Comes With A Hefty Price Tag (extra Security, Etc). / What Gaddafi's Death Means To Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by lomaxx: 12:51pm On Dec 21, 2013
A US public relations executive has provoked a storm of online protest for writing a Twitter comment about Aids
in Africa.

Justine Sacco, who works for the media company InterActiveCorp (IAC), wrote: "Going to Africa. Hope I don't get Aids. Just kidding. I'm white!"

Ms Sacco's account has now been deleted. IAC responded by saying the "outrageous, offensive comment" did not reflect the company's views and values. Unfortunately, the employee in question is unreachable on an international flight, but this is a very serious matter and we are taking appropriate action," the IAC said in a statement to the media blog Valleywag.

IAC is the parent company of About.com, Ask.com, CollegeHumour, Match.com, OkCupid, The Daily Beast, Dictionary.com, Vimeo, and BlackPeopleMeet.com, a dating site for African-Americans.

Source: BBC

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25475862

1 Like

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by lomaxx: 12:54pm On Dec 21, 2013

1 Like

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by lomaxx: 12:55pm On Dec 21, 2013
Justine Sacco
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by albiol: 1:04pm On Dec 21, 2013
I just saw this on and its already causing twitter storm
one ngo has already bought a domain name after her justinesacco.com wherenpeople have been donating

20 Likes

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by Nobody: 1:07pm On Dec 21, 2013
"Am going to america, hope i don't get cancers and tumors"

107 Likes

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by vizkiz: 1:07pm On Dec 21, 2013
Who brouqht AIDs 2 africa in d 1st place

33 Likes

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by Nobody: 1:32pm On Dec 21, 2013
She's very stupid for posting that trash,

By the way; who 'll even want to put his thing; in dat dirty looking n repulsive thing; not me; never; I dnt know 4 oda people!

5 Likes

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by Dreal1247: 1:37pm On Dec 21, 2013
But they are the ones that imported AIDS into Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by lomaxx: 1:39pm On Dec 21, 2013
Cykik: "Am going to america, hope i don't get cancers and tumors"

Their oncologists will take good care of you grin

2 Likes

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 1:48pm On Dec 21, 2013
Thats a silly and costly statement. But when you think that most politicians and money bags in Africa cant go to bed in their Hotel suites with not less than 2 or 3 girls, you then realise her fear.
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by cumpaddre(m): 1:50pm On Dec 21, 2013
Africa/Nigeria has suddenly become a place where irrelevant attention seeking whites publicly bash just for a few hours of fame. Smh

12 Likes

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by naptu2: 4:16pm On Dec 21, 2013
[size=14pt]Justine Sacco Deletes ‘Hope I Don’t Get Aids’ Tweet – and Her Account – After Landing in Africa[/size]

By Josh Dickey | The Wrap – 9 hours ago

Justine Sacco has landed — and as a first order of business, the spokeswoman for Barry Diller’s company IAC deleted the tweet that got her in very hot water as she was taking off from London to Cape Town, South Africa.

Moments later, she deleted her account (which had ballooned from some 400 followers to more than 8,000) outright.

But by then, its a matter of public record:

And the storm had long since begun.

Sacco’s tweet provoked anger from the social media mob, which closely tracked her long flight and made #HasJustineLandedYet the No. 1 non-promoted hashtag on Twitter while she was en route. It also raised the ire of her employer, which responded to TheWrap’s request for comment with the following statement Friday:

“This is an outrageous, offensive comment that does not reflect the views and values of IAC. Unfortunately, the employee in question is unreachable on an international flight, but this is a very serious matter and we are taking appropriate action.”

IAC owns and operates myriad digital businesses, from Ben Silverman’s production company Electus to video sites Vimeo and CollegeHumor. Sacco has worked there for more than two years, joining from the WWE.

During the hours Sacco was on her flight, the Internet pounced — with everything from LOLcats-style images (left) to tweets referencing Duck Dynasty, which had its own open-mouth-insert-foot moment this week. One relief organization — Aid for Africa — snapped up the domain name justinesacco.com, and had it redirect to their site while she was still in the air.

Even Buzzfeed piled on, creating a post of 16 Tweets Justine Sacco regrets.

Sacco’s employment status wasn’t immediately clear as of this posting, but IAC had removed her name from its website‘s media contacts list by the time she landed.

The post Justine Sacco Deletes ‘Hope I Don’t Get Aids’ Tweet – and Her Account – After Landing in Africa appeared first on TheWrap.

http://za.omg.yahoo.com/news/justine-sacco-deletes-hope-don-t-aids-tweet-052643421.html
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by chinaman666(m): 4:43pm On Dec 21, 2013
Dreal1247: But they are the ones that imported AIDS into Africa.
Really? Can you elaborate on this?

Either way, AIDS is most common in Africa out of all the continents. You could never be too careful.

1 Like

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by dasparrow: 5:41pm On Dec 21, 2013
lomaxx:

Their oncologists will take good care of you grin

Yeah, only if you can afford their expensive treatment or were you thinking the oncologists treat people for free in america?

chinaman666:
Really? Can you elaborate on this?

Either way, AIDS is most common in Africa out of all the continents. You could never be too careful.

I guess she is going to 'Africa' to be an Ashawo and sleep around because the last time I checked, you contract HIV/AIDS through unprotected sex or if one is exposed to infected needles or blades. Besides, is there no HIV/AIDS in america? Later on, they wonder why an increasing number of minorities hate them.

Cykik: "Am going to america, hope i don't get cancers and tumors"

LOL, correct!

Dreal1247: But they are the ones that imported AIDS into Africa.

And you think they will ever admit that?

9 Likes

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by Nobody: 5:46pm On Dec 21, 2013
Why always us?

1 Like

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by MsNas(f): 6:12pm On Dec 21, 2013
Following the debate on twitter.

That woman is a turd. One little tweet is about to change her life forever. We know many white people are lowkey racist but will never voice it out. Now see what her exuberance has caused her and her company? I can even see that the company shares are dropping grin

Once they find out that you're from Africa they start asking foolish and unreasonable questions. Some even think Africa is a country angry

Saw this on twitter. I'm going to North America, I hope I don't get shot by George Zimmerman. No Kidding! I'm Black! grin
#HasJustineLandedYet

24 Likes

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by striker9(m): 6:14pm On Dec 21, 2013
Stewpid woman

5 Likes

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by striker9(m): 6:31pm On Dec 21, 2013
Ms Nas: Following the debate on twitter.

That woman is a turd. One little tweet is about to change her life forever. We know many white people are lowkey racist but will never voice it out. Now see what her exuberance has caused her and her company? I can even see that the company shares are dropping grin
Even her facebook page dey hot

1 Like

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by cumpaddre(m): 7:30pm On Dec 21, 2013
This issue is the buzz of the moment and it aint on FP yet?? MODS!!! angry
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by cumpaddre(m): 7:31pm On Dec 21, 2013
Where the bleep is mukina2 when you need her undecided
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by albiol: 8:26pm On Dec 21, 2013
More investigations about her revealed that her father is a billionaire named desmond sacco who profited from apartheid in south Africa. Like father like daughter

9 Likes

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by Nobody: 4:50am On Dec 22, 2013
I'm sure she ll be fired, but maybe if she can return back from Africa with AIDS, then she won't have a problem getting a job... Hehheehhehe

1 Like

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by justwise(m): 6:41am On Dec 22, 2013
Ogbeche77: I'm sure she ll be fired, but maybe if she can return back from Africa with AIDS, then she won't have a problem getting a job... Hehheehhehe

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2527330/Blonde-female-PR-executive-tweets-Going-Africa-Hope-I-dont-AIDS-Just-kidding-Im-white-causes-international-outrage-likely-fired.html
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by lomaxx: 6:43am On Dec 22, 2013
cumpaddre: This issue is the buzz of the moment and it aint on FP yet?? MODS!!! angry

grin grin
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by Nobody: 8:17am On Dec 22, 2013
cumpaddre: This issue is the buzz of the moment and it aint on FP yet?? MODS!!! angry

They prefer bleaching threads!

2 Likes

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by emekaanijah(m): 11:43am On Dec 22, 2013
me sef is tired Ofv all these insults
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by NadiaSA1(f): 12:07pm On Dec 22, 2013
A.sswipe!
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by Nikapetrelli(f): 12:09pm On Dec 22, 2013
Abi na u dey carry d Aids to come n share in Africa.Make dat Aids kill u before u even touch ground in Africa.Mtcheeeeew!!!

1 Like

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by skyscraperTM(m): 12:10pm On Dec 22, 2013
Damn, I hate white bitches.

2 Likes

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by Krasid(m): 12:10pm On Dec 22, 2013
What an ignorant I.M.B.E.C.I.L.E

5 Likes

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by skyscraperTM(m): 12:11pm On Dec 22, 2013
It pisses me off when I hear people refer to a country in Africa as Africa. Like seriously!

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Gunfire And Explosions At Moscow Concert Hall In Russia / Typhoon Nanmadol Slams Japan ( Pics, Video) / Russia Turns Off Nord Stream Pipeline Supplying Gas To Europe, Cites "Oil Leak"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.