Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,533 members, 7,801,488 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:58 PM

Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala (5145 Views)

Oby Ezekwesili Blasts Nigerian Senate, Calls It Gathering Of "Beer Parlour Chat" / Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate / Oby Ezekwesili Blasts Follower On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by CollinsColz(m): 5:16pm On Dec 21, 2013
A former Education Minister, Oby Ezekwesili, on Saturday lambasted members of the House of Representatives for their treatment of the Finance Minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.
Mrs. Ezekwesili, a former Vice President of the World Bank, accused the lawmakers of not being ‘decorous’ when the House of Representatives Committee on Finance walked Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala out of their meetingon Thursday.
“Gosh! Our National Assembly &lawmakers URGENTLY need SERIOUS TRAINING on Respectful Workplace Practices,” Mrs Ezekwesili said on Saturday morning on her twitter handle, @obyezeks.
According to her, more is expected of lawmakers as the only reason Nigeria is called a democracy is because of the National Assembly.
“These lawmakers need know this and be decorous!. That fellow that was blatantly disrespectful to Okonjo-Iweala may not in the real world qualify to be her Research Assistant. Let’s face facts,” she said.
“I keep coming back to the issue of the language of disagreement in our Democracy. We can’t afford to keep it as base and militaristic as it is.”
Mrs. Ezekwesili, who was also a former minister of solid minerals, said she was responsive to the National Assembly when she was in government and never failed to turn up and engage them whenever they called.
“I knew Okonjo-Iweala to be same. Surely, if the Committee Chairman was angry at her for having said she was slightly indisposed, she still deserved fair hearing. I expect our lawmakers to ask the toughest of questions in the discharge of their oversight role. But, do so with plenty of grace- with decorum,” she said.
According to her, the language of disagreement matters a great deal in nurturing the culture of public debate which is core to democracies.
“Let’s get it right! I am huge on that language of disagreement. Disagree all you like but keep it clean of abuse and I will stay engaged. Abusers? Not on my TL!
“On the substance of the “50 Questions for Okonjo-Iweala.” It is a MIXED GRILL that could have benefited from deeper knowledge of Basic Economics,” she said.
The House of Representatives finance committee walked out the minister of finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Thursday, after a brief but stormy session in which lawmakers tasked the minister with 50 questions on the state of the Nigerian economy.
Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala had earlier presented the budget proposals for 2014 to the Senate and the House of Representatives, before meeting the house finance committee.
The minister said she was indisposed and only responded to her invitation out of respect for the legislature.
But when lawmakers offered to excuse her due to her health, but with a condition she responds to 50 questions in writing within two weeks, the minister backtracked choosing instead to answer the questions at the meeting.
Exchanges between the minister and the committee chairman, Abdulmumini Jibrin, quickly escalated with Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala accusing the committee of being disrespectful.
“With all due respect, I will not tell your committee that I’m feeling fine when I’m not. We have had good working relationship with your committee; I thought we’ll be treated with courtesy, but the way you’re starting is a bit disturbing,” the minister said.
Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala’s experience typifies the frosty relationship between the legislature and the executive. The finance minister was chosen by President Goodluck Jonathan to present the budget, which traditionally, since 1999, has been done by the sitting president.
Though Mr. Jonathan did not state his reason for choosing to be represented, he is believed to have avoided the presentation so as not to be booed by opposition lawmakers of the House of Representatives.
The chairman of the committee could not be reached for comments as at the time of publishing this report.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/151847-ezekwesili-blasts-nigerian-lawmakers-for-disrespecting-okonjo-iweala.html

2 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by Ngwakwe: 5:26pm On Dec 21, 2013
At last a voice of reason devoid of political grandstanding has spoken.

We need to behave and show maturity in both character and learning.

Politeness is priceless.

18 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by henchamb(m): 5:27pm On Dec 21, 2013
that hon is lucky that it wasn't the like of ezekwesiri, stella odua, Alison madueke, aruma oteh, nor dora that appeared befor them. by now we would be taking another thing

4 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by fijiano202(m): 5:50pm On Dec 21, 2013
Ngwakwe: At last a voice of reason devoid of political grandstanding has spoken.
We need to behave and show maturity in both character and learning.
Politeness is priceless.
most Nigerians are deluded which is a big Prob,calling this Kinda outburst on twitter a voice of Reason shows how beclouded our youths are.Are u trying to tell me this is a mature Response? how can someone educated/Ex Minister post this kinda rubbish rant on Twitter.am not in anyway in support of inproper behavior at workplace but i expect more from her

1 Like

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by fijiano202(m): 6:08pm On Dec 21, 2013
For me walking her out was not a bad decision,my Reason are: Firstly she explain abt her heart status and if there was any urgent medical Attention needed during the course of the Q and A,the commitee would be highly held responsible .Secondly if there were some lapses in her Defence,the whole blame would be shifted on her Health status,which may lead to the meeting been postponed.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by gramci: 6:10pm On Dec 21, 2013
APC legislators are known touts, the other day we saw picture of Imo state speaker kneeling before rochas okorocha.

15 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by Ngwakwe: 6:13pm On Dec 21, 2013
Probably you lack the exposure and haven't been opportuned to work in such an environment where civility and character are more important than the office you occupy or your level of interaction and knowledge of work ethics is appalling hence you blindness to egocentric display and rudeness in Mr Chairman's response and replies.

fijiano202: most Nigerians are deluded which is a big Prob,Are u trying to tell me this is a mature Response,how can someone educated post this kinda rubbish on Twitter

12 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by IKEMBANNEWI: 6:14pm On Dec 21, 2013
You've just got to love this woman. Unlike the retrrds in her party she's objective in criticism or commendation. APC would have giving Apga a good run for their money if they had fielded this woman.

3 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by asha80(m): 6:17pm On Dec 21, 2013
IKEMBA NNEWI: You've just got to love this woman. Unlike the retrrds in her party she's objective in criticism or commendation. APC would have giving Apga a good run for their money if they had fielded this woman.
i do not ever remember ezekwesili ever saying she is an apc member.

11 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by olabukola: 6:22pm On Dec 21, 2013
Watch out for his apology. You heard it first from me.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by destino24(m): 6:29pm On Dec 21, 2013
That fellow that was blatantly disrespectful to Okonjo-Iweala may not in the real world qualify to be her Research Assistant. Let’s face facts,” she said.

I love this part smiley

19 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by Ngwakwe: 6:31pm On Dec 21, 2013
fijiano202: For me walking her out was not a bad decision,my Reason are: Firstly she explain abt her heart status and if there was any urgent medical Attention needed during the course of the Q and A,the commitee would be highly held responsible .Secondly if there were some lapses in her Defence,the whole blame would be shifted on her Health status,which may lead to the meeting been postponed.

Read the tone of Mr Chairman (a supposedly public servant) and observe the ego and autocratic leadership display in this dialogue.

However, the committee chairman told her that he had ruled, insisting that “you should provide written answers within two weeks, and we’ll invite you in January to appear before us. The 50 questions capture all at stake on the state of the economy.”

The minister responded: “I know you have ruled, but you have to hear me out. You haven’t allowed me to say something, and everybody is here seeing what is happening.

“With all due respect, I will not tell your committee that I’m feeling fine when I’m not. We have had good working relationship with your committee; I thought we’ll be treated with courtesy, but the way you’re starting is a bit disturbing,” she said.

It was at this point that Jibril walked the minister out of the meeting, saying: “You know I have ruled and if you don’t mind please excuse us. Members should stay behind for executive meeting. We don’t want any haphazard answers, so you can go honourable minister.”

But the minister insisted that “I will manage to answer the questions. I won’t answer you haphazardly. I know my health, and I assure you that I can answer you well along with my other colleagues here.”

The visibly angry chairman however responded: “I’m sorry Honourable Minister. You can only decide what happens in the Finance Ministry and Economy Committee and not in the House.”

The minister who was dismayed with the development said: “I have uttermost respect for the committee and expect same from you. I’m a minister of the Federal Republic. When you invite ministers, you should treat them with respect. We can’t be invited and be abused.”

5 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by fijiano202(m): 6:33pm On Dec 21, 2013
Ngwakwe: Proba

firstly you are foolish enough to accept something uprecedented and expect the senate to smile abt it that is the Presentation of the Budget by Finance Minister,I know u believe in ur mind that u are well-learned but ur Cynical Aproach to my comments speaks otherwise.Every workplace has a work ethic,If you have been respectully excused but forcefully insisted on expressing yourself,Fine theres no prob with that,But you cant bring ur larger-than-life attitude to Defend a sensitive matter.Sometimes u dont need to alter a word but ur body Language Says it all,Am not in support of the Chairman attitude but Nobody quenches Fire with Fire.i know that Saying a commitee member of the legislative arm of the govt doesnt stand a chance to be a P.A or Secretary to an appointed minister doesnt count as an insult to only Ignoramus E-diots like you

1 Like

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by russellino: 7:02pm On Dec 21, 2013
The guy is indeed a tout. Very local

7 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by absulo(m): 7:09pm On Dec 21, 2013
i'll expect NOI to walk out on the committe come january meeting......paying back with same coin.
Jibrin can rule over his stupid commitee.

1 Like

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 7:16pm On Dec 21, 2013
It seems these clowns have never watched the British parliament and how they shout one another down, including the PM and deputy PM.

Anyway, she looks like she has down syndrome - so I can't really blame her.

Coupled with the innate victim-card syndrome, then you would have a double whammy of stupidity.

Just tell her to go provide answers to the 50 questions. End of.

4 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:38pm On Dec 21, 2013
fijiano202: For me walking her out was not a bad decision,my Reason are: Firstly she explain abt her heart status and if there was any urgent medical Attention needed during the course of the Q and A,the commitee would be highly held responsible .Secondly if there were some lapses in her Defence,the whole blame would be shifted on her Health status,which may lead to the meeting been postponed.
The minister wanted to hide under the sham of having some health challenges. But unfortunately when she realized that it could confirm the letters of Tambuwal, Sanusi and OBJ, she immediately reversed.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 7:45pm On Dec 21, 2013
fijiano202: firstly you are foolish enough to accept something uprecedented and expect the senate to smile abt it that is the Presentation of the Budget by Finance Minister,I know u believe in ur mind that u are well-learned but ur Cynical Aproach to my comments speaks otherwise.Every workplace has a work ethic,If you have been respectully excused but forcefully insisted on expressing yourself,Fine theres no prob with that,But you cant bring ur larger-than-life attitude to Defend a sensitive matter.Sometimes u dont need to alter a word but ur body Language Says it all,Am not in support of the Chairman attitude but Nobody quenches Fire with Fire.i know that Saying a commitee member of the legislative arm of the govt doesnt stand a chance to be a P.A or Secretary to an appointed minister doesnt count as an insult to only Ignoramus E-diots like you

you are a pure r.etard.
No wonder that guy reffered you in prevoius thread as "King R.etard the Great"

2 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by Feraz(m): 7:50pm On Dec 21, 2013
Collins Colz:
“Gosh! Our National Assembly &lawmakers URGENTLY need SERIOUS TRAINING on Respectful Workplace Practices,” Mrs Ezekwesili said on Saturday morning on her twitter handle, @obyezeks.
Not only them. So many Nigerians need the above. Most don't know how to address people. No matter your level in life, you're supposed to treat people with respect even a little child deserves respect.

That being said, the Jubril guy goofed by the way he addressed her. No matter their political differences, he wasn't supposed to talk in that manner. Talking like we still ruled by the military. I'm not surprised people will support his uncouth behaviour since it deals with the administration they so love to hate.

6 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by fijiano202(m): 7:51pm On Dec 21, 2013
Chuksphil2go:
you are a pure r.etard.
No wonder that guy reffered you in prevoius thread as "King R.etard the Great"
is that ur father's surname,son of a pig,u come online to prove u are a waste to ur family and nobody can ever refer to me as retard cos only a fool without purpose count other peoples opinion as void

1 Like

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by aventura: 8:09pm On Dec 21, 2013
Orlando Owoh:
The minister wanted to hide under the sham of having some health challenges. But unfortunately when she realized that it could confirm the letters of Tambuwal, Sanusi and OBJ, she immediately reversed.
how can you possibly contradict yourself in a space of 20 words.

she wanted to hide under the sham of having health challenges.

she immediately reversed.

One thing I've noticed in most Nigerians is the level of stupidity in them. The minister never wanted to dodge the questions, all she did was telling them that if not for the respect she had for the parliament she would not have been there in the first place. That she was there shows that she was fit and able to answer whatever questions they could ask, but the lousy parliamentarian could not wait for her to conclude before backing out on her. She never reversed on any position, she wanted to make a correction on an obvious misunderstanding.

7 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by aventura: 8:15pm On Dec 21, 2013
Feraz: Not only them. So many Nigerians need the above. Most don't know how to address people. No matter your level in life, you're supposed to treat people with respect even a little child deserves respect.

That being said, the Jubril guy goofed by the way he addressed her. No matter their political differences, he wasn't supposed to talk in that manner. Talking like we still ruled by the military. I'm not surprised people will support his uncouth behaviour since it deals with the administration they so love to hate.

You see, I've come to the conclusion that people believe what they want to believe, regardless of it's moral position. If the tables were turned around you'd see the way the same people backlashing her would spring to her defense. Politics is subject of every activity in Nigeria. Too bad.

1 Like

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:19pm On Dec 21, 2013
aventura: how can you possibly contradict yourself in a space of 20 words.

she wanted to hide under the sham of having health challenges.

she immediately reversed.

One thing I've noticed in most Nigerians is the level of stupidity in them. The minister never wanted to dodge the questions, all she did was telling them that if not for the respect she had for the parliament she would not have been there in the first place. That she was there shows that she was fit and able to answer whatever questions they could ask, but the lousy parliamentarian could not wait for her to conclude before backing out on her. She never reversed on any position, she wanted to make a correction on an obvious misunderstanding.
Aventura, you're an ogogoro drinkard. The minister was trying to dudge the questions to be asked by saying she had health challenges. Why did she then say she should be asked the questions? If the honourable members had gone ahead to ask her questions and she fvcked up, as Fijiano had said, it would have been blamed on them for knowing her health and still asking her question.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 21, 2013
I just watched the video again. And there's absolutely nothing disrespectful in what the guy did. He was being assertive and that's what you need in a question and answer section, when people are being grilled. They're both public officers and you can never allow yourself to be timid, or weak, when trying to get answers off someone. The guy isn't a journalist, for crying out loud.

I honestly don't understand Nigerians and their inane mentality. Not everyone gives a darn about your "status" or "qualifications." When you're a public servant and in the field, expect to be the grilled.

If you want to know what being blatantly disrespectful is - go watch the exchanges between Gordon Brown (when he was PM) vs. David Cameron (leader of the opposition), in the UK parliament. Cameron called the PM, "a phony" - but no one cried about it. It's part of the game.

2 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by agbameta: 8:22pm On Dec 21, 2013
fijiano202: most Nigerians are deluded which is a big Prob,calling this Kinda outburst on twitter a voice of Reason shows how beclouded our youths are.Are u trying to tell me this is a mature Response? how can someone educated/Ex Minister post this kinda rubbish rant on Twitter.am not in anyway in support of inproper behavior at workplace but i expect more from her

How do you criticize and demean other people then turn around and do the same thing you are blasting and criticizing them for?

Talk about gross cluelessness, thoughtlessness and hypocrisy.

Sad to know this ignorant and mindless woman used to be a federal minister.

1 Like

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by Kingspin(m): 8:35pm On Dec 21, 2013
The chairman of the
committee could not be
reached
Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by fijiano202(m): 8:37pm On Dec 21, 2013
shymexx: I just watched the video again. And there's absolutely nothing disrespectful in what the guy did. He was being assertive and that's what you need in a question and answer section, when people are being grilled. They're both public officers and you can never allow yourself to be timid, or weak, when trying to get answers off someone. The guy isn't a journalist, for crying out loud.
I honestly don't understand Nigerians and their inane mentality. Not everyone gives a darn about your "status" or "qualifications." When you're a public servant and in the field, expect to be the grilled.
If you want to know what being blatantly disrespectful is - go watch the exchanges between Gordon Brown (when he was PM) vs. David Cameron (leader of the opposition), in the UK parliament.
God bless you bro,you have said it all,it seems our fellow nigerians lack exposure cos i still remeber watching with amusement the way David Cameron was scrutinizing Gordon Brown at the parliament

1 Like

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 8:49pm On Dec 21, 2013
fijiano202: God bless you bro,you have said it all,it seems our fellow nigerians lack exposure cos i still remeber watching with amusement the way David Cameron was scrutinizing Gordon Brown at the parliament

The mentality is just medieval. They expect people to bow down before them because of the fake naija big-man mentality, yet most of them are loutish, crude and utterly disrespectful. Imagine the clown trying to critique someone for being assertive and doing his job, saying this:

“These lawmakers need know this and be decorous!. That fellow that was blatantly disrespectful to Okonjo-Iweala may not in the real world qualify to be her Research Assistant. Let’s face facts,” she said.

^^^^ A lot of these people don't even know how to talk to people, yet they want other people to respect their over-blown egos. These clowns are not role-models - too unnecessarily arrogant and primitive to be one.

1 Like

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by OmoTier1(m): 8:55pm On Dec 21, 2013
Ngwakwe: Probably you lack the exposure and haven't been opportuned to work in such an environment where civility and character are more important than the office you occupy or your level of interaction and knowledge of work ethics is appalling hence you blindness to egocentric display and rudeness in Mr Chairman's response and replies.

I am sorry you seems to lack an understanding of what work ethics means! Do you know the operational code of conduct of the House Reps for you to call the committee chairman's response appalling?

The mere fact Nnogzi lied to the HOR committee members should demand a reprimand and I think the committee chairman was even kind to her. Else, I would have addressed Her to the extent she would learn how not to take institutions for a ride.

2 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by OmoTier1(m): 8:59pm On Dec 21, 2013
shymexx: I just watched the video again. And there's absolutely nothing disrespectful in what the guy did. He was being assertive and that's what you need in a question and answer section, when people are being grilled. They're both public officers and you can never allow yourself to be timid, or weak, when trying to get answers off someone. The guy isn't a journalist, for crying out loud.

If you want to know what being blatantly disrespectful is - go watch the exchanges between Gordon Brown (when he was PM) vs. David Cameron (leader of the opposition), in the UK parliament. Cameron called the PM, "a phony" - but no one cried about it. It's part of the game.

My brother these ones are still suffering and smiling as usual! Imagine if PM&Q was to be held in Nigeria every week, only God knows what these lackeys would be screaming.

The Minister lied, brought no proof that she was sick, no Doctors letter, nothing, yet even though the committee chairman was being lenient with Her, She had the guts to still open Her mouth.

1 Like

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by jmaine: 9:13pm On Dec 21, 2013
That fellow that was blatantly disrespectful to Okonjo-Iweala may not in the real world qualify to be her Research Assistant. Let’s face facts,” she said.

I love this . . . . . . cool

5 Likes

Re: Oby Ezekwesili blasts Nigerian lawmakers for “disrespecting” Okonjo-Iweala by Feraz(m): 9:15pm On Dec 21, 2013
aventura:

You see, I've come to the conclusion that people believe what they want to believe, regardless of it's moral position. If the tables were turned around you'd see the way the same people backlashing her would spring to her defense. Politics is subject of every activity in Nigeria. Too bad.
My brother, na serious wa for some double standards being displayed here. Most times, when people we hate are being treated in an appalling manner even when they are in the right, we throw objectivity outta the window. Like I said, most Nigerians see it as normal hence the general acceptance. These are the same people that will complain about their bosses not having good manners of approach... undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Resist Plot By Buhari To Islamize Nigeria – Prof. Ben Nwabueze / Biafra New Fraud Scheme Exposed / IPOB Members Spoted On UN, AU and Trump Facebook Page Beging For Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.