Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,316 members, 7,780,769 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:37 PM

Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade (1935 Views)

Nigeria Military warns Nigerian on Cluster Bombs / I'm Preparing Military Needs For G-7 Leaders.-buhari / The Military Needs To Be Called To Order (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by Onlytruth(m): 12:26am On Dec 22, 2013
I just saw the 2014 budget that allocated about $1.6 billion to the entire Nigerian armed forces -Army, Navy and Airforce, and I started to wonder.
How can such a military defend a nation of 170 million BLACK African people?

The last news about a Boko Haram attack in the North East stated that the insurgents came to town in trucks (TRUCKS! undecided ) , and they numbered hundreds.
How hard is it to send up a 24/7 aerial surveillance of the North East border with Chad, and Cameroon? It is only as hard as acquiring a modern surveillance aircraft. How much is that these days? Not much I must say!

Again up till now, I cannot understand why the Nigerian Navy has no Submarine... not even ONE. undecided cry

How can they defend and protect Nigerian maritime resources against foreign thieves? How can they defend Nigeria against foreign aggressors?
Methinks that our entire annual military budget should NEVER go below $20 billion for starters, and it should be steadily increased to above $30 within the decade. We need modern air defences and sea defences -modern combat and surveillance planes, and modern submarines and ships.

Nigeria is a resource rich country, and there are those eying those resources.
I repeat, 21st century will not be kind to weak and dumb countries.
We are sitting on some of the best resources on earth, and there are those who want it.
A word is enough for the wise!
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by seanet01: 12:31am On Dec 22, 2013
I think Azikwe is in charge?
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by nduchucks: 12:38am On Dec 22, 2013
The budget you see does not include funding for fighter jets, heavy weaponry, tanks etc. Making those figures public would jeopardize our national security. Rest easy, nwanne m, the millitary is well provided for.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by OmoTier1(m): 12:56am On Dec 22, 2013
Onlytruth: I just saw the 2014 budget that allocated about $1.6 billion to the entire Nigerian armed forces -Army, Navy and Airforce, and I started to wonder.
How can such a military defend a nation of 170 million BLACK African people?

The last news about a Boko Haram attack in the North East stated that the insurgents came to town in trucks (TRUCKS! undecided ) , and they numbered hundreds.
How hard is it to send up a 24/7 aerial surveillance of the North East border with Chad, and Cameroon? It is only as hard as acquiring a modern surveillance aircraft. How much is that these days? Not much I must say!

Again up till now, I cannot understand why the Nigerian Navy has no Submarine... not even ONE. undecided cry

How can they defend and protect Nigerian maritime resources against foreign thieves? How can they defend Nigeria against foreign aggressors?
Methinks that our entire annual military budget should NEVER go below $20 billion for starters, and it should be steadily increased to above $30 within the decade. We need modern air defences and sea defences -modern combat and surveillance planes, and modern submarines and ships.

Nigeria is a resource rich country, and there are those eying those resources.
I repeat, 21st century will not be kind to weak and dumb countries.
We are sitting on some of the best resources on earth, and there are those who want it.
A word is enough for the wise!
Continue to vote Azikiwe then you would never see Nigeria military budget go past $1.7bn. It takes a visionary leader to know that in todays world, you need a very strong Military vis-a-viz a strong economy, unfortunately, your GEJ does not have what it takes to lift our Military to the standards expected of them in 2013.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by hercules07: 12:56am On Dec 22, 2013
ndu_chucks: The budget you see does not include funding for fighter jets, heavy weaponry, tanks etc. Making those figures public would jeopardize our national security. Rest easy, nwanne m, the millitary is well provided for.

What jeopardy will come from making the figures public, will BH hijack the money or what, abeg leave that one jare.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by Onlytruth(m): 12:57am On Dec 22, 2013
ndu_chucks: The budget you see does not include funding for fighter jets, heavy weaponry, tanks etc. Making those figures public would jeopardize our national security. Rest easy, nwanne m, the millitary is well provided for.

I hope you are sure o. I say this because when Abacha was in charge, the budget then was around $2 -3 billion, and our GDP then was around $66 billion.
Now, our GDP is pushing above $400 billion, isn't it sensible to upgrade our defence spending accordingly?

I want to see a SUBMARINE and some 4th gen fighter aircrafts, and I want to see some modern anti-aircraft systems in place.
Are you saying we have these?
Please enlighten me.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by DerideGull(m): 12:59am On Dec 22, 2013
Onlytruth:

I hope you are sure o. I say this because when Abacha was in charge, the budget then was around $2 -3 billion, and our GDP then was around $66 billion.
Now, our GDP is pushing above $400 billion, isn't it sensible to upgrade our defence spending accordingly?

I want to see a SUBMARINE and some 4th gen fighter aircrafts, and I want to see some modern anti-aircraft systems in place.
Please enlighten me.

Nigeria has enough to defend itself.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by hercules07: 1:01am On Dec 22, 2013
Onlytruth:

Please enlighten me.

You want to see wetin? Who will sell 4th gen fighter aircrafts to us, submarine nibo?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by Brimmie(m): 1:04am On Dec 22, 2013
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by MagicBishop: 1:05am On Dec 22, 2013
Onlytruth:

Please enlighten me.

Who are we fighting?

Nigeria does not need to waste money on stup1d military hardware that will be obsolete by the time they agree to sell it to us rather I will like to emphasis on TRAINING for our troops and also a marked downsizing in their numbers.

We don't require an air force since what we have is more like a Chair Force. The U.S. coast guards has more helicopters than our fighting force.

It is obvious that we may never require a standing army against any invader rather our army has been used against her own citizens more than any other force in history. The role of our army is no more than an occupying deterrent to secession and the role it has come to play within the boko insurgency should have been adequately handled by an efficient police force in the first place.

If You ask me I will rather see more funds going into civilian policing than the army
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by funkybaby(f): 1:12am On Dec 22, 2013
DerideGull:

Really? undecided

Then how come they've been unable to end the boko haram menace?
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by madamoringo(f): 1:12am On Dec 22, 2013
DerideGull:

Dede1, this is the FIRST and possibly ONLY? sensible comment you've ever made and I say congratulations! grin grin Now don't fall back into disrepair and heresy, you hitherto essence! No come start fight again oo grin grin
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by DerideGull(m): 1:15am On Dec 22, 2013
funkybaby:

Really? undecided

There no power that can absolutely defeat a home grown terrorism with overwhelming local support. Boro Haram does not have uniform, base or defined command structure. There could be few Boko Haram on this forum as we debate.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by madamoringo(f): 1:17am On Dec 22, 2013
Magic Bishop:

Who are we fighting?

Nigeria does not need to waste money on stup1d military hardware that will be obsolete by the time they agree to sell it to us rather I will like to emphasis on TRAINING for our troops and also a marked downsizing in their numbers.

We don't require an air force since what we have is more like a Chair Force. The U.S. coast guards has more helicopters than our fighting force.

It is obvious that we may never require a standing army against any invader rather our army has been used against her own citizens more than any other force in history. The role of our army is no more than an occupying deterrent to secession and the role it has come to play within the boko insurgency should have been adequately handled by an efficient police force in the first place.

If You ask me I will rather see more funds going into civilian policing than the army

It was Dede1 first, NOW you too are making the first sensible and only brainful comment since God knows when? What happened to you? grin grin For the sake of the good of humanity, keep this particular brain cells you are carrying today on all the time! I think it will make the world a better place! Now, don't fall back into your renowned heresy and sacrilegious ways again and don't come here to start a fight oo grin grin
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by Onlytruth(m): 1:17am On Dec 22, 2013
funkybaby:

Really? undecided

Thank you for asking this question.
When I read that Boko Haram drove into town in trucks and in hundreds of men, I knew instantly that there is no aerial surveillance along the North East border.
All it takes is for their movement to be picked up by a UAV and figther aircrafts dispatched immediately to obliterate them.
Nope, didn't happen!
They came to town, did their thing and left jejely. undecided
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by MagicBishop: 1:18am On Dec 22, 2013
madam_oringo:

It was Dede1 first, NOW you too are making the first sensible and only brainful comment since God knows when? What happened to you? grin grin For the sake of the good of humanity, keep this particular brain cells you are carrying today on all the time! I think it will make the world a better place! Now, don't fall back into your renowned heresy and sacrilegious ways again and don't come here to start a fight oo grin grin

apart from APC etouts and muslim fanatics I am good with everybody

grin
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by Onlytruth(m): 1:20am On Dec 22, 2013
hercules07:

You want to see wetin? Who will sell 4th gen fighter aircrafts to us, submarine nibo?

So, you mean that Nigeria with MORE maritime resources cannot buy a sub while South Africa has three (the last time I checked) undecided
You do well o.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by madamoringo(f): 1:21am On Dec 22, 2013
DerideGull:

There no power that can absolutely defeat a home grown terrorism with overwhelming local support. Boro Haram does not have uniform, base or defined command structure. There could few Boko Haram on this forum as we debate.

Bring it on Dede1. All of a sudden I am thinking of giving you your wings (just 1 oh) back and putting you back into uniform and jackboots! grin grin I will make you a commander of a small squadron for starters! You in? grin grin
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by DerideGull(m): 1:21am On Dec 22, 2013
madam_oringo:

Dede1, this is the FIRST and possibly ONLY? sensible comment you've ever made and I say congratulations! grin grin Now don't fall back into disrepair and heresy, you hitherto essence! No come start fight again oo grin grin

Madam Oriago cum Mukina1 & 2 & 3,

How bodi?

It is unfortunate comments you are manipulatively conditioned to hear are termed sensible by you. Seriously, I am not surprise at you. grin grin
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by madamoringo(f): 1:22am On Dec 22, 2013
Magic Bishop:

apart from APC etouts and muslim fanatics I am good with everybody

grin

Well, you are better off being good and there's nothing wrong with APC. In life it is a disaster if a person has only 1 food he MUST and CAN eat, it is far more disastrous if a whole country of 170 M has no alternatives, JUST ONE OPTION: PDP? Think about it. grin
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by Onlytruth(m): 1:23am On Dec 22, 2013
DerideGull:

Dede you fail my hand o.
So, you mean that even you don't know that Nigeria has not enough weapons of modern warfare?
I hope you saw how the French routed the trouble makers in Central African Republic with only 300 men.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by madamoringo(f): 1:26am On Dec 22, 2013
DerideGull:

Madam Oriago cum Mukina1 & 2 & 3,

How bodi?

It is unfortunate comments you are manipulatively conditioned to hear are termed sensible by you. Seriously, I am not surprise at you. grin grin

Bodi dey inside clothe, how you old man? wink wink I know you wan dey form yuppy young man ba? Nothing spoil sha. No, I meant what I said and that is one comment without hate or bile and accept that I give you props for it, right? grin I know say the thing they sweet your belle die! lol grin
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by funkybaby(f): 1:26am On Dec 22, 2013
DerideGull:

There no power that can absolutely defeat a home grown terrorism with overwhelming local support. Boro Haram does not have uniform, base or defined command structure. There could few Boko Haram on this forum as we debate.

This does not answer my question.

BH boys are invading military formations in borno with little or no opposition and driving away with MAV and yet you say nigeria has enough to defend itself?

Nigeria's glory days of ECOMOG are long gone.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by MagicBishop: 1:27am On Dec 22, 2013
Onlytruth:

When I read that Boko Haram drove into town in trucks and in hundreds of men, I knew instantly that there is no aerial surveillance along the North East border.
All it takes is for their movement to be picked up by a UAV and figther aircrafts dispatched immediately to obliterate them.
Nope, didn't happen!

As things stand now, the Military is in shambles. The officers and men are generally undisciplined and ill trained. There are also many sympathizers within the military officer corp and personnel than there is dirt on the streets of Bujumbura .

This war can never be won, not with all the money and resources and training as long as there are sympathizers within the Officer cadre towards Boko Haram.

Cameroon has done their own bit by keeping Boko Haram off their territory so has Chad and Niger within their relatively low military budget.

I recall how Nigerian military were made to guard the rear in Mali and to do other auxiliary task outside real combat because the French commanders said they could not work with them based on their intelligence report on both their discipline, training and level of commitment.

Wikileaks also gave us a snippet about how our military officers are being regarded when the then U.S. Ambassador had a meeting with the head of Shell Nigeria during the Yaradua impasse, she (U.S. envoy) asked if a coup was likely to occur to which the then head of shell ruled out primarily on the basis that there are no officers who posses the intellectual prowess to actualize a coup.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by yibomustgo(m): 1:28am On Dec 22, 2013
DerideGull:

I look forward to the day Cameroon army wipe your a.s.s out completely.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by funkybaby(f): 1:29am On Dec 22, 2013
Onlytruth:

Nope, didn't happen!

Thank you oh jare.

Nigeria's armed forces is seriously underfunded and poorly equipped. Anybody that thinks differently is in self-denial.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by Onlytruth(m): 1:39am On Dec 22, 2013
Magic Bishop:

Who are we fighting?

[size=16pt]It is obvious that we may never require a standing army against any invader rather our army has been used against her own citizens more than any other force in history. The role of our army is no more than an occupying deterrent to secession and the role it has come to play[/size] within the boko insurgency should have been adequately handled by an efficient police force in the first place.

I am compelled to agree with the bolded words.
So, while they are busy guarding against local secessionists, a foreign power can simply walk it and recolonize Nigeria.
Smart. undecided cry
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by MagicBishop: 1:43am On Dec 22, 2013
Onlytruth:

I am compelled to agree with the bolded words.
So, while they are busy guarding against local secessionists, a foreign power can simply walk it and recolonize Nigeria.
Smart. undecided cry

Since the end of WW2 and the setting up of the United Nations there have been several wars but mostly internal civil conflicts.

Apart from Saddam's hair brained Idea to invade Kuwait and feeble attempt at empire expansion there is hardly any other country that has been invaded.

Now who in their right mind will want to add Nigeria with all her wahala as a colony?
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by DerideGull(m): 1:50am On Dec 22, 2013
Onlytruth:

So, you mean that Nigeria with MORE maritime resources cannot buy a sub while South Africa has three (the last time I checked) undecided
You do well o.

Bros you want our sons to run aground at the depth-less Atlantic Ocean in Submarine. Nigerians can not maintain Toyata Pickup truck talk less Submarine.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by DerideGull(m): 1:53am On Dec 22, 2013
Onlytruth:

Dede you fail my hand o.
So, you mean that even you don't know that Nigeria has not enough weapons of modern warfare?
I hope you saw how the French routed the trouble makers in Central African Republic with only 300 men.

Bros try to separate weaponry from other military strategy.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by DerideGull(m): 1:56am On Dec 22, 2013
funkybaby:

This does not answer my question.

BH boys are invading military formations in borno with little or no opposition and driving away with MAV and yet you say nigeria has enough to defend itself?

Nigeria's glory days of ECOMOG are long gone.

ECOMOG operation was totally different from the case of Boko Haram.
Re: Nigeria's Military Needs Major Upgrade by DerideGull(m): 2:00am On Dec 22, 2013
Magic Bishop:

As things stand now, the Military is in shambles. The officers and men are generally undisciplined and ill trained. There are also many sympathizers within the military officer corp and personnel than there is dirt on the streets of Bujumbura .

This war can never be won, not with all the money and resources and training as long as there are sympathizers within the Officer cadre towards Boko Haram.

Cameroon has done their own bit by keeping Boko Haram off their territory so has Chad and Niger within their relatively low military budget.

I recall how Nigerian military were made to guard the rear in Mali and to do other auxiliary task outside real combat because the French commanders said they could not work with them based on their intelligence report on both their discipline, training and level of commitment.

Wikileaks also gave us a snippet about how our military officers are being regarded when the then U.S. Ambassador had a meeting with the head of Shell Nigeria during the Yaradua impasse, she (U.S. envoy) asked if a coup was likely to occur to which the then head of shell ruled out primarily on the basis that there are no officers who posses the intellectual prowess to actualize a coup.

You are spot on the bolded. Even the rank and file of the Nigerian army can make a parade team of certain country's elite squad.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Am Not Afraid Of You, Hon. Robinson Uwak Tells Gov. Akpabio / 21 Reps, 2 Senators Set To Dump PDP / Buhari On Ajazira, Could Not State The Meaning Of INEC And APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.