Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:24 PM

The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 (4147 Views)

Society And Atheism / Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) / Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by thehomer: 7:03pm On Dec 24, 2013
rationalmind: While I admit I'm learning from the discussion, and its intellectually stimulating, these sort of discussions are usually boring.

Make I go bash religion abeg grin grin grin

Straight to the point. grin

1 Like

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by Joshthefirst(m): 7:14pm On Dec 24, 2013
thehomer:

How do you know there is no life on the billions of other planets in the galaxy?
i do not know, I was referring to our immediate galactic environment, to a rock like mars.

thehomer: The fact that we can't do it yet doesn't mean it had to be done by your God. We can't create galaxies yet does that then mean your God did it?
we're speaking opf consciousness and life. Can we "synthesize" consciousness? Can we create life from "nothing"?

thehomer: You may want to take a look at the Big Bang theory for up to date information.
please show your up-to-date information here.

thehomer: No, I mean it isn't satisfactory given what we know about people, the universe and other things. If you explain lightning as Zeus throwing thunderbolts while accepting that you're merely asserting that there's a Zeus out there and he happens to throw thunderbolts, then you can see why such an explanation isn't satisfactory given what we currently know.
how does:
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep...
And God said, Let there be...

Prove unsatisfactory?
Is this not the basis we're speaking with?
That the creator was before the beginning, that he spoke in the beginning?

Since it is so obvious to you, why don't you show me what you've seen that helped you arrive at this conclusion?
the direction we see in life. The depth of consciousness we see in man, etc.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by Joshthefirst(m): 7:26pm On Dec 24, 2013
thehomer:
So it would be a person in what sense?
God-sense. cool

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, THE ALMIGHTY.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by macof(m): 8:58pm On Dec 24, 2013
@Josh explain few things to me as you answer this question
1. is ur god a skydaddy living in the clouds or space
2. Or Is ur god an unseeable entity without organic features whatsoever
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by Joshthefirst(m): 9:11pm On Dec 24, 2013
macof: @Josh explain few things to me as you answer this question
1. is ur god a skydaddy living in the clouds or space
2. Or Is ur god an unseeable entity without organic features whatsoever
my God is none of those; and it is these puerile and pathetic false notions of the Christian God based on mockery that annoys me the most.

Please let us not derail this wonderful thread. Open a new thread, or better yet, read the attributes of God in the bible. He was not just the God of men, he claimed to be the creator of the universe. The Starter, the finisher, the beginning, the end, the first, the last. The cause, the Almighty. The source, the self-existent, pre-existent being. Behind the seemingly simple words of the bible are a wealth of intellectual and philosophical and spiritual knowledge that a right-thinking man would not dismiss so easily.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by thehomer: 9:25pm On Dec 24, 2013
Joshthefirst: i do not know, I was referring to our immediate galactic environment, to a rock like mars.

So does the fact that there's no life on Mars mean that there's no life anywhere else? The universe is much bigger than this small region we inhabit.

Joshthefirst:
we're speaking opf consciousness and life. Can we "synthesize" consciousness? Can we create life from "nothing"?

Does the fact that we can't do so today mean that God did it? Who says nothing was ever the case?

Joshthefirst:
please show your up-to-date information here.

You'll do better by helping yourself to read up on it. This is a good starting point.

Joshthefirst:
how does:
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep...
And God said, Let there be...

Prove unsatisfactory?
Is this not the basis we're speaking with?
That the creator was before the beginning, that he spoke in the beginning?

Substitute God with Zeus and tell me if you're satisfied with that passage.

Joshthefirst:
the direction we see in life. The depth of consciousness we see in man, etc.

What direction we see in life? Things live and they die. How does God help in the consciousness of man? Saying humans are conscious therefore God did it is a terrible argument.

2 Likes

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by thehomer: 9:26pm On Dec 24, 2013
Joshthefirst: God-sense. cool

You've successfully made a poor argument.

God is a special person in the sense that God is a special person.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by DeepSight(m): 10:24pm On Dec 24, 2013
texanomaly:

I'm curious. Name three such uncaused things.

Well I can give you two.

1. Infinite time (Eternity)

2. Infinite space ( Spatial infinity)
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by MrTroll(m): 10:35pm On Dec 24, 2013
^^^

Does eternity exist? If so, where? Within or outside this universe?

If outside, how do you know?

If inside... angry
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by MrTroll(m): 10:39pm On Dec 24, 2013
Sushieater sef, you no de talk?

You go just de do like spirit angry
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by macof(m): 10:55pm On Dec 24, 2013
Joshthefirst: my God is none of those; and it is these puerile and pathetic false notions of the Christian God based on mockery that annoys me the most.

Please let us not derail this wonderful thread. Open a new thread, or better yet, read the attributes of God in the bible. He was not just the God of men, he claimed to be the creator of the universe. The Starter, the finisher, the beginning, the end, the first, the last. The cause, the Almighty. The source, the self-existent, pre-existent being. Behind the seemingly simple words of the bible are a wealth of intellectual and philosophical and spiritual knowledge that a right-thinking man would not dismiss so easily.

No need for long yarns...

So this ur God is not a skydaddy living in space but he can be seen and also has organic features like regular living organism...where does he live?
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by Redlyn: 12:26am On Dec 25, 2013
Deep Sight:

The choices are between a self existent creator and a self existent universe: either way, you cannot escape one thing or the other being self-existent. Thus, self existence, by itself, is not a concept to be mocked: whichever side wins the debate, one thing or the other must be self-existent. This is inescapable.

This is what I think too. The universe is obviously existing. We are in it, existing. So we can speculate whether it has always existed or not but in no way can we conclude it was certainly caused. Coming to this conclusion is using an argument from ignorance. You don't understand the presence, complexity, purpose of life therefore god did it. And then to conclude further that the cause was uncaused how can that be anything but wild guess work. We just don't have enough information to make those conclusions. My atheism is rooted in the absence of sufficient evidence to necessitate an uncaused intelligent creator.

Should this creator reveal himself the logical next step would be deism. ie He started the process and went on holiday.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by Kay17: 12:32am On Dec 25, 2013
Although they might be ordinary words, yet they present assume a philosophical meaning. It becomes needful to clarify:

1. What is Something? Doesn't this actually mean unspecified object, entity? Are we led to believe this is a refernce to matter? Does this accommodate ideas and concepts?

2. What is Nothing? This can be said to be "something" as it relates to a concept. Platonists would readily believe Nothing as a concept is one of true reality.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by Kay17: 12:36am On Dec 25, 2013
The stark reality with the understanding of linear time, is the point in which the universe is purportedly created and this present moment, will never approach from the infinite past.

Hence Eternity is not compatible with linear time.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by Redlyn: 10:05am On Dec 25, 2013
Deleted post.
Replaced by: merry Xmas all.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by DeepSight(m): 5:57pm On Dec 28, 2013
plaetton:

Why must the default state be immutable?

Because if it is default, then it needs must be eternal in the past, and if it is eternal in the past it is then unchanging in character, thus immutable. It would be contradictory to speak of a default state eternal in the past which changes, for then it would not be a state eternal in the past, and therefore not default.

The fact that matter is mutable makes it the perfect default state.

As explained above, no.

Matter is always changing, change is the only constant in the universe.

Yes: in the expanding universe, but not in the default state pre univserse, no?

So, there has never been a state where the universe was static, even for a nanosecond.

As above.

But why do we go on this circular arguments when we all know that :

1. Energy is the only thing that exists.
2. Energy and matter are inter-convertible. Viola!
3. Therefore, Matter that makes up the universe is simply condensed energy.

The energy of this universe could not be all that exists, otherwise there would be no explanation for what trigger ignited the big b.ang. That trigger could not be the self same energy of this universe, which was supposedly encapsulated in a pre time singularity. That singularity would have required an impetus or trigger to expand, and that could only have come from without it, thus indicating that there is energy beyond this universe not of this universe.

Therefore, there are only two issues worth debating here:

1. If you disagree with 1,2, 3 or all
or ,
2. How did or how could self-existent energy come to exists?

It would not "come to exist" - it would be the constant inherent in the transcendent self-existent reality: God.

This is so simple, yet the problem with people like Deepsight is this little thingy of " Purpose".
His mind cannot get around this idea of impersonal and purposeless pulsating energy as being the source for everything.
He desperately needs purpose and order, a plan.

I would desperately hope that you need the same, otherwise I am sorry for you.

That is the problem why we have to invent such a laughable oxymoron as an uncaused creator who consciously created and directs the universe.

An uncaused universe is a worse oxymoron. The universe demonstrably had a beginning and thus a cause. And since it could not logically be its own cause, then it logically has a cause outside it: a cause transcending it.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by Redlyn: 11:25am On Dec 29, 2013
As they say the only thing that is constant is change and I think that is the default that applies to the universe. Eternally constantly changing if you will. So agreed that mutable matter is what we can for now conclude as default.

If Universe is defined as the totality of existence then it is difficult to even begin to comprehend a concept such as a pre-universe. However if Universe is our expanding cosmos of galaxies then pre-universe could be anything and only your imagination is the limit to what we can conceptualise. For instance Totality of existence could be a much bigger universe (or multiverse) encapsulating ours of which ours is a mere spec of dust in comparison and which was triggered into existence with the big bang by some natural process we cannot and may never understand.

However I find it a huge conclusion to declare with certitude the cause was an intelligent being. I remain of course open to this theory as with any theory backed by relevant evidence, as my only purpose is Truth, but my ignorance and lack of a better explanation on the nature of Existence is not an excuse for me to arrive at such conclusions.

On the topic of purpose. This is precisely why the God theory has so many followers, each culture with his own idea on how to reconcile this theory. As humans we NEED to have a purpose we need an answer to why we are here, its in our nature. Buddhists will tell you its to reach spiritual enlightenment and earn a better re-birth, In theism it is divine salvation or Worship of the creator. Only personal revelation can really lead one to those beliefs so in the absence of that, I remain a naturalist.

If we could isolate human babies individually in a forest, they will quickly understand the basics of gravity, of day and night, of life and death. If as an adult he is also able to describe God, his nature and his wants through revelation and not indoctrination and it fits in perfectly one of the current holy books that would make for a very interesting scientific experiment.

/random musings

1 Like

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by CrazyKaps: 1:52pm On Dec 18, 2014
DeepSight:

Right.

Following on from this. But before I do, I should make a brief comment on strangeness.

Most people live their lives within a "normalcy" that allows them to be completely oblivious of just how absolutely strange and odd this world, this existence of ours, is. I do not. Although it is a dysfunction of some sort, and troubles me a great deal, I live every day with an acute consciousness of the strangeness of life and of our existence: the strangeness of everything about us. Indeed, the strangeness of our very own lives.

For this is exactly what has happened, as far as we know:

In what appears a stagnant void, existing, for all observable purposes, eternally in the past, a sudden burst of matter and energy occurred. This sudden burst, as far as we know, took place about 14 billion years ago, in terms of our current measurement of time. From a single point of virtually infinite energy, the origin and nature of which is unknown, an expansion of matter and energy proceeded, the size and scale of which is absolutely unfathomable to the human mind. The size of the observable universe (not to speak of the universe, whole) is unbelievable and out of all proportion to that which the human mind can visually grasp or comprehend.

Any person who does not regard this (the sudden blossoming into existence of the universe from the point of a singularity) as a pretty strange thing to occur in a seeming void, will have to be pretty strange himself. But wait, that is only the beginning of the strangeness which I tried to convey in such light words in the intro contained in my OP.

It gets stranger. Within the same universe, there, from chemical interactions, at some point in time, supposedly, something quite special and different emerges. Something different from the dead matter about it - living organisms. These organisms grow and evolve over time. Along the way, plant life emerges, also, conscious, feeling, breathing creatures, animals. Ultimately, mankind come forth - self-conscious, thinking, feeling intelligent beings with a sense of past, present and future, and with such very strange tendencies as art, science, music, philosophy, and even cosmological philosophy, religion, as well as moral and societal codes and laws.

In this interaction, in their societies, they create galaxies of knowledge, of new learning, of ideas without limit. But, as with all other living things about them: notwithstanding the high extent of their minds, the loves and passions of their lives, their extensive pursuits: at some point - they die.

And what does this death mean. That every single man, woman and child walking on this earth, floating around the sun, within the larger universe - will lie motionless in death, and rot away. You, me, everyone.

From the first mystery of the big b.ang, what triggered it, what powered it, why it happened at all, to the mystery of first life, and then on to the mystery of self-conscious intelligent life, and on to the mystery of death, it is all a really, really odd thing that has happened, that is happening, and that continues to happen. The existence of the universe, the existence of life, and the existence of us.

Thus people seek meaning in their lives, for otherwise it is perplexing. The sheer futility of compulsory and unavoidable death, the enigma of it all, is enough to compel man to seek meaning in his life: however it is also sufficient to render man renegade, not caring one way or the other. For if all things end in death, why should man seek any ideal higher than to enjoy himself within this brief stay under the sun.

When the atheist thus preaches to the religionist, asking the religionist to forsake the coagulation of ideas which give him purpose and meaningfulness in his otherwise perplexing existence, the atheist should be ready to offer a purpose and a meaningfulness higher and better, in lieu of the purpose and meaning of the life of the religious.

The atheist would do well to understand that few people would choose the seeming perplexing meaninglessness and randomness of "chance" life, in a "chance" universe, over a meaning, a purpose and an order. Such meaning, purpose and order, the atheist should inculcate into his evangelism, before seeking to deconvert the theist.

An unenviable task, given the strangeness of all things about us, as described above. . . .

The irony is that you who understands the strangeness of the universe dismissa off hand all explanation QuantumMech offers as ridiculous or "obviously incorrect/farcical" because of its inherent strangeness with regards to conventional science; as I've gleaned from an earlier thread (where you did not even bother reading the links regarding these possible explanations because it was so "obviously false" to you).

Just because it is strange does not mean it is incorrect. Even the current model of the solar system was strange to comprehend and an alien to conventional wisdom at one point of time. Also, strangness is no guarantee of correctness either, but if what they derive from the equations if the theory result in tangible advances in science, wouldn't you say they are on the right track?

So now all i have to do is wait for quantum computing or some other product derived from these theories to take the world by storm. Perhaps if and when that happens you shall agree that maybe QM isn't all just hogwash and be a little more open to its ideas?
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by DeepSight(m): 4:18pm On Dec 18, 2014
CrazyKaps:

The irony is that you who understands the strangeness of the universe dismissa off hand all explanation QuantumMech offers as ridiculous or "obviously incorrect/farcical" because of its inherent strangeness with regards to conventional science; as I've gleaned from an earlier thread (where you did not even bother reading the links regarding these possible explanations because it was so "obviously false" to you).

Just because it is strange does not mean it is incorrect. Even the current model of the solar system was strange to comprehend and an alien to conventional wisdom at one point of time. Also, strangness is no guarantee of correctness either, but if what they derive from the equations if the theory result in tangible advances in science, wouldn't you say they are on the right track?

So now all i have to do is wait for quantum computing or some other product derived from these theories to take the world by storm. Perhaps if and when that happens you shall agree that maybe QM isn't all just hogwash and be a little more open to its ideas?

This is not a correct surmise on my position on Quantum Physics - there is nothing wrong with continued inquiry of every kind, this included. Rather, I only pointed out the wrong logic of those who attempted to use the apparent emergence of virtual particles in a quantum vacuum as evidence that something may emerge from nothing. I pointed that out simply by showing that a quantum vacuum is not "nothing" and there is indeed no perfect such vacuum.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by ooman(m): 5:37pm On Dec 18, 2014
DeepSight:

This is not a correct surmise on my position on Quantum Physics - there is nothing wrong with continued inquiry of every kind, this included. Rather, I only pointed out the wrong logic of those who attempted to use the apparent emergence of virtual particles in a quantum vacuum as evidence that something may emerge from nothing. I pointed that out simply by showing that a quantum vacuum is not "nothing" and there is indeed no perfect such vacuum.

Its been said that there is no nothing.

1 Like

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by finofaya: 1:26pm On Apr 22, 2015
Did I miss it or did the OP not sum up all the theistic/atheistic arguments?

1 Like

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by Kay17: 4:29pm On Apr 22, 2015
This thread ought to be revived.

1 Like

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by plaetton: 5:42pm On Apr 22, 2015
Kay17:
This thread ought to be revived.

I concur.

1 Like

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by thehomer: 10:16am On May 26, 2015
OP has gone missing.

1 Like

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by plaetton: 1:59pm On May 26, 2015
thehomer:
OP has gone missing.
Deepsight is probably marooned in an alternate universe.

1 Like

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by DeepSight(m): 4:55pm On May 27, 2015
thehomer:
OP has gone missing.

plaetton:

Deepsight is probably marooned in an alternate universe.

Lol @ alternate universe. Very apt, actually!
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by plaetton: 5:01pm On May 27, 2015
DeepSight:

Lol @ alternate universe. Very apt, actually!
grin
How far in the alternate universe?
Do you need a rescue back to terra firma?

Get in touch with your inner atheist. smiley

Come, Brother.
Reason beckons.
grin
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by texanomaly(f): 5:53pm On May 27, 2015
plaetton:

grin
How far in the alternate universe?
Do you need a rescue back to terra firma?

Get in touch with your inner atheist. smiley

Come, Brother.
Reason beckons.
grin

Don't listen to plaetton. He has appointed himself the Nairaland Atheist Recruiter.

Plaetton (NAR)

1 Like

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by plaetton: 6:17pm On May 27, 2015
texanomaly:

Don't listen to plaetton. He has appointed himself the Nairaland Atheist Recruiter.

Plaetton (NAR)
grin
Lol.
Everyone is an atheist inside.
I am just trying to help hold people's hands while they try to get in touch, in harmony with the atheist within, the real you.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 27, 2015
texanomaly:

Plaetton (NAR)
Hi ma'am. I am Atheist as well. grin cheesy cool
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by ojimbo(m): 6:40pm On May 27, 2015
the world was not meant for humans only

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by texanomaly(f): 6:43pm On May 27, 2015
plaetton:

grin
Lol.
Everyone is an atheist inside.
I am just trying to help hold people's hands while they try to get in touch, in harmony with the atheist within, the real you.

How noble of you...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Is The Woman Clothed With The Sun, With The Moon Under Her Feet? (Rev 12) / Lessons I've Learnt on The Religion Section This Year / I Dreamed And Saw Where Buhari Was Leading Prayers In Church.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.