Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,238 members, 7,807,794 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:24 PM

Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? (14011 Views)

Benin Men To Shave Their Hair In Honour Of Late OBA / History Of Families In Lagos / African Americans - More Accepted By Igbo Or Yoruba Families (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by chronique(m): 10:57am On Dec 24, 2013
angryBros,I nor be babe;I be bros like you
rooney2525: which part of Esan are you from? Cos dis is d first timeam seeing an Esan babe on nairaland.
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by Sweetlemon(f): 11:04am On Dec 24, 2013
chronique: angryBros,I nor be babe;I be bros like you

Lol!
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by bokohalal(m): 11:54am On Dec 24, 2013
tpia@:
I am surprised bini people are refusing to take up this open challenge.

Had it been some other tribe who started this thread, it would have been war by now.

Hmm, na so una fear calabar reach, ok then.

The ' binibot' which alerts some people everytime bini is mentioned on nl, seems to be non functioning?

I see none of the warriors yet.

So na for only non calabar folks una dey get power.

So you dey climaxxx from all dem tribal fights before? Sorry my dear,you go dry from this thread. According to my Isoko neighbours ' we (egg) failure'.

I think the superlative "most", even " more" should have been inserted in the heading .

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by koolpapa(m): 12:14pm On Dec 24, 2013
I think is your sister that encourage her husband to have more kids.

why she no do family planning,Abi she no sabi dat one as well.
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by Sweetlemon(f): 12:44pm On Dec 24, 2013
koolpapa: I think is your sister that encourage her husband to have more kids.

koolpapa: I think is your sister that encourage her husband to have more kids.

After my sister had her first two kids, during the naming of her 2nd child, she was like "whew! I have finally completed my job of giving birth" (she was happy he had one boy and one girl and was sure her hubby will be ok with that) Her hubby looked at her like "says who??" I laff fall from my chair grin
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by Abbey2sam(m): 1:38pm On Dec 24, 2013
ednut1: let me say presticibe ie as quickly as possible ur sis husband cannot send 10 children abroad na so e easy

Me too been dey do the math, maybe the sister husband nah politifcian
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by donjoewizy(m): 2:19pm On Dec 24, 2013
I am a benin man and i am married to a benin lady...plus we r just looking at having 2 kids....shikena, so bro i guess ur findings aint totally correct...
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by osigiepurr(m): 3:30pm On Dec 24, 2013
Sweetlemon:

You guys really need to take a chill pill really. If I were making fun of Edo people then that's a different thing. I'm only doing a research on what I have noticed!

Your fellow Binis here are taking it cool and even providing historical reasons for it. But you guys prefer to fight non-existing battles.

Or maybe you just don't comprehend what I'm trying to say here. When I say large families I don't mean polygamy ooooooo! I mean the need to have up to 6-10 kids from just one wife. If it's polygamy then I would have mentioned the Urhobos as the perfect case study!

Seun should consider adding some kind of app which can enable people understand posts in their native language since English is so difficult these days.... undecided

U don't even understand urself let alone ur unreasonable research without proper facts and findings.
U said ur statement was all about "large family" and many people dat commented misinterpreted statement for "polygamy"....it really shows dat u cannot differentiate between "large family" and "extended family" as u claimed in ur so called
fricky sticky wicky research.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by tpia5: 4:21pm On Dec 24, 2013
bokohalal:

So you dey climaxxx from all dem tribal fights before? Sorry my dear,you go dry from this thread. According to my Isoko neighbours ' we (egg) failure'.

I think the superlative "most", even " more" should have been inserted in the heading .

Its good you recognized yourself 'among' even though your name wasnt called.

Are you claiming isoko now, thought bini was what the thread title said.
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by Pennywise(m): 4:24pm On Dec 24, 2013
^^^
Tpia, yoruba amazon and irredentist. Dont you ever get tired?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by Nosu(m): 8:35pm On Dec 24, 2013
Pennywise: ^^^

I am beginning to think dat she is on Seun's payroll. If not some drastic steps would hv be taken to curb her

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by Nosu(m): 9:05pm On Dec 24, 2013
Ur finding isnt true. I have Lived in lagos and some other part of the west and I can say that it is the same tins ova there.

When a man isn't educated and is into farming and also owe a house for himself, the tendency of having alot of kids is there regardless of the tribe.

U said u finished from a school in Benin,i suppose dat is uniben. Apart from Uselu, ringroad and new benin, I don't think u know other places apart from these ones.

I also finished from uniben and for d four years I was there, I didn't know 5 junction, a lot of uniben students dont hv d time to cruise d state apart from those that live in benin. So that u schooled in benin doesn't mean dat u know so much abt the benin.

I hv been in benin for abt 7 years now, like on the street I stay now there are very few couples that one of them is from a different tribe. So u might hv to do more research b4 u conclude.

For the intertribal marriage, binis don't hv an issue marrying out except for some few tribes like the Esan though in Edo state( but dat is becoming a tin of the past sha)

A good reason for dat (apart from hving an open mind) is because binis hardly speak their language, someone dat doesnt speak his/her language is as good as lost.
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by Prettiepearlz(f): 10:57pm On Dec 24, 2013
osigiepurr:

Hey, what's ur business counting and monitoring d number of kids innocent couples are having in their matrimonial homes?......it truly shows ur jobless and insensitive towards the affairs of other people. Besides, u are still yet to marry, pple like u may end up not getting a husband or even having kids of ur own...Oba gha tokpere!

Haba! Bros,take it easy on her,she's only being curious,and even if u have to corect her,make your corrections constructive,not destructive,it kills one's self esteem. Pls apologise to her. Do Have a funfilled christmas!
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by Prettiepearlz(f): 11:32pm On Dec 24, 2013
Although I'm neither from Benin nor Edo,I've always loved that state called Edo and the people from there,especially the Benin,because they have a very rich culture,and I love the way they dress,and even their songs and even their names. Ever since I understood what marriage meant,I've always prayed to God to give me a man from Benin or a man from the urhobo,itsekiri(pardon my spelling) part of delta state(although I prefer God's plan for my life),the only problem is mothers with their "don't marry people from here,don't marry people from that". But the truth of the matter is I love Benin and everything about that kingdom.
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by yomi007k(m): 11:58pm On Dec 24, 2013
chronique: Sweetlemon,sweetest lemonade. Your sister has done well by marrying one of us. Why not follow suit? Marry me and I promise we won't have too many children. Me,I will pity you. smiley tongue. I really can't say cos I'm not bini per say;I'm esan. But I know from way back,it has always been a thing of pride for our men to father many children(since polygamy was almost like a culture to us). It used to be pretty rare to see an indigene who was born and bred in that state,who didn't have more than one wife. Guess the love for kids and a large family plays a major role in that. Most Edo men believe in their names living long after them. Hence,the large army of kids. You can imagine a family like the popular bello-osagie where most of them are doing well. Today,even those who do not belong to that family,but answer Osagie,have some kinda reputation cos most people tend to think they're from that family. All through my time in school,I was always faced with the challenge of telling people I do not belong to a certain Ighodalo family who happens to be a popular chartered accountant from my state. I'm from a large family also and my dad has as much as 15 kids(amongst which are 4 medical doctors/surgeons,1 accountant,1 lawyer,1 pharmacist,2 economists,2 engineers,2 business mgt graduates,etc) You do the maths and imagine how many grandchildren he would have. Eventually,when all his kids succeed and become popular,he would eventually become one of those popular names from the state.

I just think we like to create dynasties. wink
I know one Bello-Osagie babe back in school.
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by tpia: 2:33am On Dec 25, 2013
Pennywise: ^^^

eternal weeper.
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by tpia: 2:34am On Dec 25, 2013
Nosu:

I am beginning to think dat she is on Seun's payroll. If not some drastic steps would hv be taken to curb her

oh really.

easier than facing calabar peeps no doubt.
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by tpia: 2:35am On Dec 25, 2013
Nosu: Ur finding isnt true. I have Lived in lagos and some other part of the west and I can say that it is the same tins ova there.

and did the op say she's from lagos?
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by oseiwe(m): 6:11am On Dec 25, 2013
Prettiepearlz: Although I'm neither from Benin nor Edo,I've always loved that state called Edo and the people from there,especially the Benin,because they have a very rich culture,and I love the way they dress,and even their songs and even their names. Ever since I understood what marriage meant,I've always prayed to God to give me a man from Benin or a man from the urhobo,itsekiri(pardon my spelling) part of delta state(although I prefer God's plan for my life),the only problem is mothers with their "don't marry people from here,don't marry people from that". But the truth of the matter is I love Benin and everything about that kingdom.
Do u like my name? I also gat itsekiri blood too.
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by Pennywise(m): 6:32am On Dec 26, 2013
tpia:

eternal weeper.
I am on your side here. If u continue like this you may never get a husband let alone a Bini husband.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by tpia5: 2:32pm On Dec 26, 2013
Eyin gay e take e easy o.

Pennywise your sister is looking for a bini husband?

Propose to someone on the thread nah.

Bini guys dey here.
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by Pennywise(m): 5:07pm On Dec 26, 2013
Hehe. Sensuous tpia. The passion this young woman holds beneath can only be imagined. You are sooo hawttt.
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by UyiIredia(m): 5:53pm On Dec 27, 2013
This is not really true and ooseven rightly said your generalization is wrong. I am from Benin. And my parents, both from Benin, only had 3 of us. In fact, a number of my Dad's sibling and cousins, especially those who are still in Benin have families of 2 or 3 kids. Only one I know is a polygamist with ten kids or more. That said, your generalization will be more true of the past generation, like some other Nigerian tribes, polygamy was accepted, even encouraged in the past. My grandfather had fifteen kids from his two marriages, not counting those who died as kids.
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by Revolva(m): 3:30pm On Aug 25, 2014
LoveDecay:

Respect yourself, have you heard any off them complaining. Do you think those girls are forced to go to Italy ?

You hustle with what you have not what you don't have ....

OP, marry an edo man if you can , enjoy your freedom ...cos that's how we roll..... We don't cuff our chicks cool
omo me be man oo wtf ..damm u folks do G ..y now..lol....na woman me dey marry oo....olboy u know how many benin gals i don nak....i no fit count.....i like dem weller them sabi hustle welller no disrrespect ok
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by Positivegirl(f): 10:42am On Sep 07, 2015
xp17:
bini men knows how to Spend money on women, so more women would not mind participating in a bini man's benevolence, hence bini men find it uncontrollable to have one lady. (many ladies, many children) . Real bini men don't patronize d use of condom.

When a group of men spend their money easily ... it could be a sign of impulsivity... doing things without thinking through and this would be part of ADHD, Autism etc. Why is it that other groups dont spend their money easily, save their money and communicate more and better with their wives and children. Certain men are not really husbands or fathers... but are in and out husbands meaning they just float around the family and dont really get involved... the women do all the work which is not supposed to be like that... work is supposed to be shared and be fair.
Re: Why Do Most Benin Men Love Large Families? by xp17(m): 11:11am On Sep 07, 2015
Positivegirl:

When a group of men spend their money easily ... it could be a sign of impulsivity... doing things without thinking through and this would be part of ADHD, Autism etc. Why is it that other groups dont spend their money easily, save their money and communicate more and better with their wives and children. Certain men are not really husbands or fathers... but are in and out husbands meaning they just float around the family and dont really get involved... the women do all the work which is not supposed to be like that... work is supposed to be shared and be fair.
easy mandam. I'll pass your message across to other bini men. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Emir Of Kontagora Is Dead: Alhaji Saidu Umaru Namaska Dies At 84 / Nigerians Mark International Mother Language Day 2020 / Adedotun Gbadebo, Abdulkabir Obalanlege Exchange Words Over Ogun Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.