Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,789 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:15 AM

34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? (4574 Views)

Just Got A Car But Can't Drive It Because Of This....what Do I Do?? / The Man Who Has The Largest Car Collection In The World! / How Do I Get A Driver's License..especially Since I Can't Drive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by beyonce1(f): 1:59am On Jun 20, 2006
A 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Doesn't Know How To Drive A Car? Normal?

O.K, I just had a chat with a friend of mine, she's just got hooked up with this guy based in Nigeria, the problem she claims she's having is that the guy says he does'nt know how to drive a car, not to talk of owning one!

Now don't get me wrong here, she is not a goldigger, she just refuses to accept that at this very age and time any guy above the age of 25 years should at least have the courage to handle a car, especially in Nigeria where driving rules are not too rigid, also she claims that it's a form of psychological way of assessing how adventurous and strong will powered an individual is?

I mean honestly speaking I tried to convince her against this belief but then, I would like you to share your views, Even as a girl, I started my own driving curiosity when I was 13 years, either begging our driver or a friend's.

Can one honestly use this to ascertain a man's willingness to take risk? Or is he just slow?
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by Seun(m): 2:13am On Jun 20, 2006
Here are some thoughts:
1) At least he's honest enough to admit he can't drive. Unlike playas.
2) It is arguably ridiculous to spend time learning to drive when you can't buy a car.
3) Is she looking for 'normalness' or happiness in a relationship?
4) I'm almost 24, and I can't drive. I am also self-employed. Am I afraid of risks?

So let's learn not to make a big deal of small matters. The same women who can tolerate superiority complex, domineering attitude, self-centeredness in their African men should not be complaining about someone whose only sin is that he doesn't know how to drive. Your friend has more important challenges to worry about.
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by chinani(f): 2:19am On Jun 20, 2006
It's not normal, not abnormal, but hilarious! grin grin grin grin

On a serious note, this fellow's okay in my book! This might just be a result of his life circumstances. Please, don't read too much into it & advise your friend to get to know him.

Since she wasn't attracted by his driving ability the relationship can still go on & grow.

I feel you on the adventuresome tip but still don't judge him on this one thing.
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by diddy4(m): 3:07am On Jun 20, 2006
not everyone has the same opportunity as doz of us who are fortunate enough to drive. he might have never had that chance to go and drive. your friend might have met him and i know damn well dat when she did, he wasnt driving cuzz he cant drive. she should either teach him how to drive(which is pointless cuzz he aint got no car) so he will have a knowledge of it than contemplating whether to leave the guy or not.

people are face with different circumstances and only those fortunate enough to learn how to drive will make good use of that opportunity.
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by LoverBwoy(m): 3:59am On Jun 20, 2006
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by LindaM1(f): 6:49am On Jun 20, 2006
Well, here's one for you! I'm 44 years old and have never learned to drive! To the original poster: your guy has learned to develop navigational skills that would probably amaze you! I've lived in Utah and Colorado. I've visited Tennessee, the North and South Carolinas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, California and Nevada. I've attended conferences in the Colorado mountains. I've gone camping miles away from my home. All without owning or driving a car. You learn to have plans B, C, D, and learn to be very resourceful when you don't own or drive a car. Everybody asks me, "how do you get around?". I want to ask them, "what would you do without your car?" tongue
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by Anigboinam(m): 8:33am On Jun 20, 2006
Who cares if he can't drive? Just be patient, he'll learn , end of story.
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by zebudaya(m): 2:27pm On Jun 20, 2006
maybe he didn't have anybody who would lend him their car to practice with?
i don't think its ridiculous at all.
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by Ashiwaju(m): 3:57pm On Jun 20, 2006
its really no biggie. Whats d point learning how to drive when you dont have access to cars. But preparation + opportunity = luck. When you have the opportunity abeg explore and b4 u know it, you have learned yet anada thing! its fun, u ll enjoy it
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by IAH(f): 5:42pm On Jun 20, 2006
Seriously it's odd. I mean O-D-D! Actually I know someone who can't drive and he's even older than that(I think so because he's married with kids). I think he says he has a phobia or something. He has a few cars and a driver who drives him about.

About the strong-will & adventurous part, the person I'm talking about is a politician and was former Chairman of Ifelodun Local Government in Osun State. What more adventure & strongwill can be greater than winning an election in Nigeria's murky politics?

But I still think it's odd. I mean O-D-D! shocked
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by beyonce1(f): 10:59pm On Jun 20, 2006
thanx everyone, I feel ya alright but for crying out loud , she said, he hasn't got a phobia,  he's got people around him who own cars , family , friends honestly speaking it's like being outdated, e.g someone who cannot open an email !
there are some basic 'MOVES' in life that can describe a 'GO-GETTER' ?

----- and @loverbwoy, thanx 4 your ever pointing out references  undecided  please do read d topic again, it's actually NOT about d 'ABILITY' to afford a car !
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by diddy4(m): 11:01pm On Jun 20, 2006
@beyonce1

just one quetion,

can d dude afford a car?
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by beyonce1(f): 11:06pm On Jun 20, 2006
ehm ---- not really, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't possess d drive to learn anyhow.
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by diddy4(m): 11:10pm On Jun 20, 2006
well, if he cant afford a car and he has friend and family members that can teach him, then i think its a fault on his part.
it was my friends that taught me how to drive before my dad even decided to send me to a driving school.

may be he is shy to ask knowing he cant afford one or he just doesnt wann@ learn how to drive because he cant afford one.

which ever one is the case, i still think your friend should stick with him and let him be. its not as if the care issue is what she wants in a man. abi is it what she wants in a man?
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by chinani(f): 11:14pm On Jun 20, 2006
Well let's not forget that some ppl will not teach others. They're just not open to it. I have Uncles you can't drive & some can. I always wonder why they don't all learn or all go teach each other. I've never asked but I guess that ppl just have different schedules and no on really wants to impose on others.

Having said all this the man prolly could drive after like a half hour of instruction. He prolly says he can't b/c he's never been formally taught or practiced. What I'm saying is that you can think of it in a different way. For instance, a virgin doesn't say "I can't have sex" simply b/c they've never done it. And being a 34 year virgin, while rare, isn't a crime is it? Aiight, I don't wanna make your friend flee this man so I'll stop here. grin I for one hope she sticks w/ him to see what he's all about. Peace.
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by diddy4(m): 11:17pm On Jun 20, 2006
yeah, i get what u mean chinani. that might be another possibility too.
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by beyonce1(f): 11:26pm On Jun 20, 2006
diddy4:

well, if he can't afford a car and he has friend and family members that can teach him, then i think its a fault on his part.
it was my friends that taught me how to drive before my dad even decided to send me to a driving school.

may be he is shy to ask knowing he can't afford one or he just doesnt wann@ learn how to drive because he can't afford one.

which ever one is the case, i still think your friend should stick with him and let him be. its not as if the care issue is what she wants in a man. abi is it what she wants in a man?

@diddy4

yeah u feel me , there are some things in life one should have the desire to achieve at a point in life, d problem now might be, he feels too ashamed or too big to ask his friend for assistance now especially if he doen't yet have the savings to buy one, believe me u've got 2 equip yourselves of somethings in life before the need arises-- O.K CHECK THIS OUT my friend says she 'll be going to nigeria in a couple of months, she might either hire a car to move around or get one from her relatives. in the U.K , we drive right hands, she says she might not be too confident to drive left hand at her arrival especially on nigerian roads, so HOW DO U THINK BOTH OF THEM WILL GO OUT TRIPPING ? TAKE OKADA ?
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by diddy4(m): 11:33pm On Jun 20, 2006
ok thats really gonn@ suck. she should try convincing the guy to go and learn how to drive. i believe it is his ego that is keeping him from learning.

if he refuses to learn den molue or okada will do. grin grin grin grin

it makes no sense, you have friends around you, you have family and stuff like dat. even if family doesnt work, the people you call your friends should work. let him stop being egotistic and learn how to drive. kapish
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by Seun(m): 12:28am On Jun 21, 2006
What a man can do, a woman can do better. Your friend can drive him around with the hired car or teach him. Duh!
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by mamaput(f): 8:18am On Jun 21, 2006
Just teach him or get him a driver .
Noteverybody that drivesa car can Drive.There is more to driving than moving a car.
I will not sit with just anybody .
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by saintchux(m): 4:39pm On Jun 21, 2006
I do not think that driving is compulsary. If I decide not to drive, I can hire a driver. The issue is not driving but owing a car. I remebered quarrelling with my cousin concerning his car, and right there I swore not to touch anyone car until I buy mine.

So if someone does not drive there may be a reason for that, what of if none of hgis relation has a car or even a freind. If you win Glo promo now and they give a car, if you do not know how to drive, you will go and learn because you now own one
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by naijacutee(f): 7:22pm On Jun 21, 2006
Bollocks.
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by laykay(m): 8:31pm On Jun 21, 2006
hey the guy must be abnormal what has he been doing since? or letting a woman drive him around? thats bad!
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by naijacutee(f): 5:52pm On Jun 22, 2006
No, with all due respect, he's nopt abnormal. He has got a driver
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by Ashiwaju(m): 6:09pm On Jun 22, 2006
@ niajacutee, i dont think laykay was referring to you, he was only refering to the first poster i guess

And for your dad owning more than 20 cars not knowing how to drive well, i ll say this is where too much money comes in. why spend all the money alone, divide the labour and share the burden, give driver,give drycleaner,give house boy, give chef,give cleaner,give gardner,give gateman jare afterall, its too much money but come to think of it, dont you think times are that he would wanna drive alone,be alone and have fun alone without a driver?
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by Nobody: 3:38am On Jun 23, 2006
alot of ppl dunno how to drive in nigeria anyway undecided , either they take buses or taxi
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by Nobody: 3:38am On Jun 23, 2006
or they got a chauffeur
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by henryphyol(m): 1:13pm On Jun 23, 2006
I believe it not a big deal for him not to know how to drive a car. You must understand how things work in this part of the world. Do you know that some families don have cars at all am talking of extended families some people are at that cross of the society. Now how do you expecting someone that his relatives and his father those not have a car or his friends. If you don have a car in Nigeia you are looked down upon for me i started learning how to drive about 2months ago because i will By Gods Grace buy mine buy the end of the year and itś because a close friend of mine takes time to teach me. So don blame the guy itś the situation here in nigeria. But itś not too late to learn
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by olorunjune(m): 1:18pm On Jun 23, 2006
Do you think it is a crime not knowing ho w to drive a car well from my own point of view i don't see anything bad in it cause you may start by having a driver in your first workplace thereby the need doesn't arise and moreover is it someone who doesn't have a car that will learn how to drive? From what i have seen many non nigerians are out there without the knowledge of how to drive a car cause they take train most of the time
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by naijacutee(f): 3:27pm On Jun 23, 2006
But I didn't say he doesnt know how to drive well, I said he doesn't know how to drive! At all.
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by Ashiwaju(m): 3:44pm On Jun 23, 2006
And for your dad owning more than 20 cars not knowing how to drive! well <<i have nothing to say, but I'm going to waste valuable time and space saying it>>
Re: 34 Year Old Nigerian Man Who Can't Drive: Normal? by Oracle(m): 5:05am On Aug 22, 2006
i think it has to do with opportunity and time, some people don't have the opportunity to learn while some can't just make out time and you know time waits for nobody

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With BMW / HELP! Where Can I Find A Trusted Skoda/volkswagen Mechanic? / What Are Things To Check When Buying A Nigerian Used Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.